Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part XXV
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Nov 20 2014, 4:27am

Post #1 of 221 (9047 views)
Shortcut
     Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part XXV  

A couple of friendly reminders aka README!!!!!!!!
- If you're new, or unsure, about posting, especially contributing Pretty!, please refer to the TORn guides on the "Welcome" board, or refer to the "IMPORTANT README for TA posters: Information on posting, and adding images" and the little PSA from the mods posts right here on the TA threads for quickie information. It might just save you from getting zapped by Wrath of Mod.

- Spoiler avoidance alert: There be spoilers since TAXVII due to the DOS EE, and BotFA media releases. Viewing in threaded mode is a better way to go about it if you're keen to avoid them, as you can check the sub-thread titles before you see anything you might regret... though what's to regret when it comes to Thranduil Pretty!, eh?

And now back to your regularly scheduled Thranduil AppreciationHeart

.~.~.~.~.~. .~.~.~.~.~. .~.~.~.~.~.

Yup, tis your serial TA threadstarter again Laugh Thanks to BlackFox and VValar's threadtipping, we're at a quarter of that magic number for the ElvenHeart temporal eyeblinkAngelic

Any and all appreciation of HeartThranduil and everything related to him happens here.
All HeartThranduil Thralls, and appreciating non-Thralls are welcome.Smile
So feel free to jump in at any time!

(Large-res!source Clicky)

The Thranduil Appreciation thread count:
I | II (Originating threads by Rowan Greene) | III | IV | V | VI (Threads by Lurker in the Mirk)
VII (Thread by Eruvandi) | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV (Threads by Lurker in the Mirk)
XV (Thread by Eruvandi) | XVI (Thread by Lurker in the Mirk) | XVII (Thread by VValar) | XVIII
XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII | XXIV (Threads by Lurker in the Mirk)

Thranduil Appreciation Lexicon aka the little TAspeak garden Tongue
  • BTS Easter Egg Find (aka BEEF): Those moments in the BTS when Thranduil/LP flashes by (see Unexpected Flash of Elf) on screen or some information is found. See also "Ninja-Hugger"
  • Bubba: Nickname of Thranduil's beloved War-Elk. See also "Maximum Fabulosity Exposure"
  • Equal Opportunistic Thrall: One who thralls whom her/his infidelity fancies. Shamelessly multi-allegiance by nature. See also "Thranduil Thralls"
  • Elvenking, The: That's right, that's how it's supposed to be written
  • Facemelt: That thing Thranduil does in T&T
  • Fanart: Popular post subject/title. Beacon for Thralls, as sure as moths dive into flames. See also "Pretty!"
    (Helpful reference for the threadlard inspired: See the "IMAGES" section of "The TA (very) Quickie Help/TIPS for adding IMAGES and POSTING" sections in this README FOR ALL TA Posters)
  • FEAST: Shorthand for Flustered Elrond AND Sassy Thranduil. In honour of Thranduil sass/badassery resulting in Elrond raising his eyebrows disapprovingly. May involve dramatic Elrond temple-rubbing. Elrond's fluster can be induced remotely or by proxy and does not require Elrond to be present when Thranduil does his thang. See also "FLAST", "FEASTING"
  • FEASTING: Shorthand for Flustered Elrond AND Sassy Thranduil Including Not-impressed Galadriel. Extension of FEAST, which includes Galadriel, also in disapproval mode, i.e. Elrond's fluster conditions in FEAST apply here for both Elrond and Galadriel
  • FLAST: Shorthand for Flustered Leggy AND Sassy Thranduil. In honour of the worship for badass (maybe a smidgeon of oblivious in there somewhere) Thranduil and his actions/non-actions resulting in Legolas getting into a flap. Requires Legolas to be present when Thranduil does his thang. See also "FEAST"
  • GotG: Guardians of the Galaxy. That movie in August 2014 with LP in it
  • HCF: Halt and Catch Fire. LP's 2014 TV series.
  • Hair of Thranduil (aka HoT) Appreciation. Appreciation for Thranduil's gloriously silken beautiful platinum blond locks.
  • High Thud Risk (aka HTR): Alert for Pretty! hoarding thralls, invoked when 'EI' ain't cutting it. See also "Pretty!"
  • LA/LAEM: The Last Alliance of Elves and Men, not the city in the States
  • Lee Pace: Thranduil
  • Leggy: affectionate diminutive of Legolas
  • Legolas: Son of Thranduil, aka surfer Elf of LotR
  • LP: Lee Pace
  • Maximum Fabulosity Exposure (aka MFE): Thranduil's complete magnificence doing anything. Inspired by his awesome cool when riding Bubba the War-Elk. See also "Bubba"
  • Ninja-Hugger: Specifically LP dispensing hugs. Not that he hugs ninjas, but because he's sneaky like a ninja when he hugs people in the TH Vlogs and appendices and it takes everyone forever to realize it was even him, usually because he's back to camera when he bounces into frame. Will the sneaky hugging never end? We hope not! See also "BTS Easter Egg Find", "Unexpected Flash of Elf"
  • Oropher: Father of Thranduil
  • Orry/Oro: affectionate diminutive of Oropher
  • PD: Pushing Daisies. LP's 2007/2008 TV series
  • Pretty!: Surely self-explanatory? See also "Woodland Weekend", "High Thud Risk"
  • Silent Thread Visitor (aka STV): Self-explanatory, also known as Silent Thread Reader. STVs, Thranduil has a question for you. What say you? Smile
  • T&T: The Thranduil and Thorin confrontation scene in DOS. Generally ranked top favourite of Thranduil Thralls
  • TA: Thranduil Appreciation. All-round Heart for the Elvenking and his onscreen avatar (and by extension teh actor. See also LP). Shockingly, there are TA posts with that literary bent associated with thinking individuals frequenting such an exemplary forum as TORn. Some even hint at functional brain-matter in the poster.
  • That disagreeable (among other things) Dwarf: See "T&T"
  • Theory of Bling: Overarching term for theories and speculation on the backstories of Thranduil's rings. Popular discussion circa TAIII/TAIV, but still pops up occasionally.
  • Thranddy: affectionateHeart diminutive of the Elvenking's name (if you don't know who is the Elvenking, google is your mellon)
  • Thrandfully: The right manner on how to express your thankfulness to all Thranduil-related and non-related subjects
  • Thranduil Thralls: The afflicted. Fangirls, and boys, whose allegiance are pledged to the Elvenking. Also known as the hopelessly enthralled to his ELVEN MAGNIFICENCE. Perturbing to some, Thralldom may not be exclusive. Credit goes to Eowyn of Penns Woods for the "official" Thranduil Thrall moniker. See also "Equal Opportunistic Thrall"
  • Threadlock: The inevitable fate of all TA threads exceeding 200 replies, aka mundane Chore of Mod. See also "Thread tipping"
  • Thread tipping: Post(s) that sends the current TA thread over the 200 replies threshold See also "Threadlock".
    (See the "AVOIDING GENERIC POST-DEATH" and "AVOIDING POST- DEATH FROM THREADLOCK" sections in this README FOR ALL TA Posters).
  • Unexpected Flash of Elf (aka UFE): Those moments in the TH BTS, Vlogs when Thranduil/LP flashes by. See also "BTS Easter Egg Find", "Ninja-Hugger"
  • Woodland Weekend (aka WW): Occasional mega URL laden post for Pretty! of Thranduil, and LP. May also include goodness for Legolas, *cough*That disagreeable (among other things) Dwarf*cough* and some others. Selective indiscrimination is key. See also "Pretty!", "High Thud Risk"

• [Click here for the general TORnspeak lexicon]

Keeping track of the appreciation
    Caught off-guard at how much you've missed? 1 simple click will ensure you won't miss another update again. Put this thread on watch! Locate the "Watch thread" button to the top and right of this post (button 3 of the 5 threads buttons you see) and click it.

Also, if you click on the "creation" bit in the "Age" column (last one) when you view a forum, it changes to "activity", and you get a list of threads which has been recently posted to, instead of when they were started. It's a much easier way to find the current TA thread since someone will probably post in it, and it usually appears on page 1 of the activity view. Certainly beats going back through the board to look for it.

"I'll say dark and gritty, which, with the Elvenking, translates as Hot and Sexy. Cool" - vanima ephel

I fancy myself an ME BFF (Book/Film Fan) Smile
    (Aaaaand a gushy Thranduil fangurl before The Hobbit movies; still a gushy Thranduil fangurl through them. Laugh)

Heart Thranduil Appreciation
    Threadcount: XXIV
    I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
    Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Nov 20 2014, 4:37am

Post #2 of 221 (7706 views)
    Shortcut
         Some MFE to start [In reply to]  

Well, I was thinking I'd be coming in to no. 25 already well on its way. Honestly didn't expect to notch another threadstart on my TA milestone list.Evil Anyway, here we go!Smile

"I'll say dark and gritty, which, with the Elvenking, translates as Hot and Sexy. Cool" - vanima ephel

(Aaaaand a gushy Thranduil fangurl before The Hobbit movies; still a gushy Thranduil fangurl through them. Laugh)

Threadcount: XXV
    I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII | XXIII

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Nov 20 2014, 4:45am

Post #3 of 221 (7776 views)
    Shortcut
         Thranddy Daddy and Leggy Sonny [In reply to]  

Charting a history of obsession or as interpreted by yours truly: crisis of the inner-fangurl. (Sound familiar to anyone?)

But remember, at one stage sometime in the past, something like this was happening

And some contemporary (un)help for those struggling with the only question that matter: Father or Son? Angelic

You're welcomeSmile

I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII | XXIII

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Nov 20 2014, 5:13am

Post #4 of 221 (7733 views)
    Shortcut
         LoL Strip [Reverse FLAST, sorta] [In reply to]  

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Nov 20 2014, 5:54am

Post #5 of 221 (7719 views)
    Shortcut
         Responses to TAXXV [In reply to]  

@dernwyn
    "Bye-bye!"

In Reply To
    My, you Thralls have been busy, there must be nothing else on the Boards to talk about...Wink

*vague wave of hand* Well, you know, Kerewyn said it best with her old avatar: other threads are not our concern.LaughAngelic

@BlackFox
    "
    *faints*" & "Yikes!"
    It's nice to see you around, BlackFox. And a surprise to witness a reaction of yours to cutesy stuffSmile

@on_the_partyelk
    "Yes, all figured out" & "Here you go"
    Yay! Can't wait to see more Pretty!. And YES!!!, thanks for sharing the hi-res version. Pretty! *THUD*

"Pretty anyplace, anywhere, anytime"
    TOTES agreement Smile

@Eruvandi
    "Excellent point, TricksyHobbitses!" & "Smiles and Sword colors"

In Reply To
    I'm still hoping Bilbo will play a part in Thranduil's healing, maybe by somehow reminding him of what's really important, but if the White Council has something to do with it, I guess that would be fine too.

&

Oh how I do hope they'll let Thranduil smile at least once during the last movie. I mean, it's not like elves never smile. Legolas and Galadriel and Arwen smiled multiple times in the LOTR movies and Elrond and Galadriel smiled in AUJ. I want a genuine, non-snarky/sassy, Thranduil smile because LP has one of the nicest, warmes, friendliest smiles ever, IMO!HeartHeartHeart

I will admit, they should probably only have him smile closer to the end of the movie, because if he smiles before then, us fangirls won't be able to process any more of the story after that.Wink

Ditto! on the highlighted. *fingers CROSSED* And on the swords - we will see in BotFA, or maybe one of those prop collector sites.

@VValar:
    "It's all about sorting out your prioities"

Lurking in TA is definitely more fun than any work-related activities I know Wink

Hear, hear!

"Another cutie"
    LOVES!

@mariel:
    "Thranddy/Leggy fan edit"
    LOL at the instructor thingy. The fan edit looks good but I'm not sure how to feel about it. Is it just me?Crazy

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Nov 20 2014, 6:02am

Post #6 of 221 (7736 views)
    Shortcut
         Food for thought: Thranduil... isolationist? [In reply to]  

Came across this post by Elthir (there's a link to more details about this from him), and it resonates. I'm not all caught up with canon for sure, but it has been a bit of a niggle that Thranduil seemed to be thought of as such when in TA, pretty much all Elven abodes iirc were quite insular as a matter of course. What think you, my fellow Thralls?

To help get the discussion moving, Armour!Thranduil giffyCool

=======

Adanel
    The Shire

Nov 20 2014, 6:32am

Post #7 of 221 (7708 views)
    Shortcut
         To be honest [In reply to]  

I HAVE always seen Thranduil as being isolationist but to qualify that, because he isolates himself and his people from other elves, not from all peoples.

Mirkwood had healthy trade with the men of Laketown and there appears to have been plentiful contact between men and elves there, also up until the dragon attack the Mirkwood elves traded with the Dwarves of Erebor. And he obviously had contact with Gandalf, he allowed him to take Gollum there after all. So not isolationist at all really.

BUT Thranduil did have major issues with the Noldor, dating back even before the Last Alliance, although that obviously didn't help matters. His Sindar roots mean he probably resented the Noldor from the times of Thingol and all that mess over silmarils etc.
    He certainly did NOT like Galadriel and made concerted efforts to isolate his people from her influence.
    Elrond he seems to have tolerated, at least enough to send his son to Imladris for the council.

So not isolationist regarding other races but definately isolationist when it came to other elves. Specifically Noldor because he and Celeborn,( another Sindar) appear to have got along just fine when they divided the forest after the war of the ring when Galadriel was no longer in the picture.

Danielos
    Rohan

Nov 20 2014, 6:55am

Post #8 of 221 (7679 views)
    Shortcut
         Isolationist [In reply to]  

I can´t really understand how Thranduil thinks he can isolate himself from the outside world. He needs to trade with others for supplies (how do you get food in a cave?) and that forest fortress doesn´t look that difficult to invade?

Adanel
    The Shire

Nov 20 2014, 7:07am

Post #9 of 221 (7658 views)
    Shortcut
         Well like I said [In reply to]  

He DID trade, with men from Laketown and dwarves from Erebor.
    And it wasn't like all the forest was corrupt. The forest around his halls was normal, The elves went out and most likely hunted in it. They didn't all live in his halls,they lived in the trees.

In the Hobbit they are traipsing round the forest having parties.

As for invasion, well no one voluntarily ventured in to Mirkwood and the forest was enchanted. No Man would ever have been able to find Thranduils stronghold. They did have their hands full fighting orcs and evil from Dul Guldor. I guess that could count as invasion.

He only isolated them from the elves of Lorien, They could certainly survive without trade from them.

MouthofSauron
    Tol Eressea

Nov 20 2014, 7:13am

Post #10 of 221 (7682 views)
    Shortcut
         its symbolic of a "major power" staying isolationist [In reply to]  

country which did not get involved in a global conflict until late in the war (USA) in both WWi and WWII. But staying on-topic i believe something happened to Thranduil that caused him to be this way. My guess…Thranduil's wife died by dragon fire and he decided he would no longer sacrifice anyone he cared about again so he wouldn't have to relive that pain.

The flames of war are upon you..

Elk2013
    The Shire

Nov 20 2014, 7:48am

Post #11 of 221 (7679 views)
    Shortcut
         His father & 2/3 of greenwood troops died [In reply to]  

in the Battle of LA. That should give him enough reason not to get involved in troubles outside of his realm.

BlackFox
    Half-elven

Nov 20 2014, 8:57am

Post #12 of 221 (7650 views)
    Shortcut
         *waves* [In reply to]  

In Reply To
    It's nice to see you around, BlackFox. And a surprise to witness a reaction of yours to cutesy stuffSmile

Hi, Lurker! I'm always around, though it usually means lingering in the shadows, sneaking, spying. Evil And hey, I'm just a human... err, fox, am I not? Even I can't keep my composure at times. Tongue

mariel
    Lorien

Nov 20 2014, 9:05am

Post #13 of 221 (7650 views)
    Shortcut
         Quarter of a century! [In reply to]  

Thanks for starting another thread. Smile. Threadlock and the start of this one occurred while I was deep in the land of nod - not that I think I would have the confidence at the moment to start a new one myself.Unsure.

Very nice pic edit Heart

Bombadil
    Half-elven

Nov 20 2014, 10:18am

Post #14 of 221 (7619 views)
    Shortcut
         YAWN...Tired EYESzz....you ThrranyThrallzz [In reply to]  

REALLY like ann. "ICEy Cooold Immortal"?

OKay..Fine. but.. What would ThRANNY be LIKE
    in bed..?

WOULD he be Lovin' you
    OR..
    Hizz DEAD WIFE..

Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
    "What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Nov 20 2014, 10:19am)

mariel
    Lorien

Nov 20 2014, 11:17am

Post #15 of 221 (7636 views)
    Shortcut
         Good articles [In reply to]  

Personally I don't see Thranduil being any more isolationist than other Elven leaders. For example, Lorien was very secretive and the company in LotR had to be blindfolded before they could approach the dwellings there as quote "We allow no strangers to spy out the secrets of the Naith. Few indeed are permitted to even set foot there."
    Hardly depicts an open door policy.

Plus, no Elven armies were despatched from any of the Elven states to assist in the War of the Ring. Elves at Helm's Deep was a film invention. Sure, the Elves of Lorien and Mirkwood did fight when they came under attack, but I can't find any mention of Rivendell being involved (although I could be wrong there. I haven't read everything yet.)

Plus, Thranduil having fought in the war of the LA where he lost his father and 2/3 of his army would want to protect his people from being involved in another war as he had seen first hand the destruction war brings. While I know this information comes from material that the film makers have no access to, it's a pity they couldn't come up with a convincing back story to explain his stance here.

That's not the only niggle I have with the way the film makers have depicted Thranduil's character. He is of Sindarin origin and he and his father, along with a handful of other Sindarin Elves had come among the Sylvan Elves as they wanted to become Sylvan folk and return to the simple life natural to the Elves before the Valar had disturbed it. They deliberately merged with them, adopting their language etc. It does not say or imply that they still held themselves in any way superior to their adopted people. So the scene where Thranduil states he would not consider his son pledging himself to "a lowly Sylvan Elf" really grates with me. It depicts him as a racist snob when as far as I can see there is no evidence for this at all.

Rant over.

On_the_partyelk
    Lorien

Nov 20 2014, 1:24pm

Post #16 of 221 (7563 views)
    Shortcut
         That is a good one [In reply to]  

And I quote Lurker in the Mirk respectively Kerewyn "other threads are not our concern.LaughAngelic" (and the voice in my head saying this sounded totally like Thandy LOL)
    And I agree: Is there anything else?! Evil Wink

The fortunes of the world will rise and fall, but here in this kingdom we will endure!

mariel
    Lorien

Nov 20 2014, 1:47pm

Post #17 of 221 (7622 views)
    Shortcut
         "A King's private life" fan edit [In reply to]  

Part of a set. For full set see - http://legilimentis.tumblr.com/...3/kings-private-life

ltnjmy
    Rivendell

Nov 20 2014, 3:11pm

Post #18 of 221 (7578 views)
    Shortcut
         Great analysis Elk2013, Mouth of Sauron & Adanel about Thrandy [In reply to]  

I do wish the Professor had written more about Thranduil. But from what I gleaned, especially from the Unfinished Tales, I think the character was greatly influenced by the Fall of Doriath and the death of a great many of his people, including his father, at the battle of the Last Alliance. And something bad must have happened to that elusive unnamed wife...Mad

ltnjmy
    Rivendell

Nov 20 2014, 3:14pm

Post #19 of 221 (7567 views)
    Shortcut
         Great analysis mariel as well ! [In reply to]  

Fellow Thrall waves hello !!!! Smile

mariel
    Lorien

Nov 20 2014, 4:11pm

Post #20 of 221 (7547 views)
    Shortcut
         Hi Itnjmy *waves back* [In reply to]  

Smile

VValar
    Gondor

Nov 20 2014, 9:00pm

Post #21 of 221 (7535 views)
    Shortcut
         Ohhh what a lovely OP [In reply to]  

In Reply To
    we're at a quarter of that magic number for the ElvenHeart temporal eyeblinkAngelic

LaughLaughLaugh

Oh and that OP...... It's so lovely HeartHeart Those lashes *jealous*

I'll be away for the Weekend (including Friday) so I won't be posting that much in TA for the next couple of days.
    Of course I do have internet on my phone but I just hope we'll have WIFI that actually works where I'm going. Hopefully I might just be able to take a quick peek in the thread every now and then so I won't miss out on too much Pretty!

You have fun starting off no.25(!!Smile)

If your ears aren't pointy, you're doing it wrong.

Bombadil
    Half-elven

Nov 20 2014, 9:28pm

Post #22 of 221 (7522 views)
    Shortcut
         YOU jus' GAVE...Bomby a **FLASH of Insight** [In reply to]  

If someone could FIND a Screen Shot
    of the "Faces in the Water"...Dead Marshes (TTT)

Wouldn't THAT one?..
    that opened IT's Dead Eyes
    causin' Frodo...
    to do a "FACE Plant" in the
    Marsh...
    be Dressed similar & Lookz like..Thranny?

A Ghost from the Second age
    LOST in the Battle of the First Alliance..

.....Hum? ....where to find that? Anyone KNOW?

confused
    bomby
    Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz

BlackFox
    Half-elven

Nov 20 2014, 9:33pm

Post #23 of 221 (7521 views)
    Shortcut
         Here you go [In reply to]  

http://www.framecaplib.com/...ages/ttt/ttt0283.jpg

Bombadil
    Half-elven

Nov 20 2014, 9:50pm

Post #24 of 221 (7497 views)
    Shortcut
         THANKS...Looks a bit more LIKE Elrond..?// [In reply to]  

www.charlie-art.biz

BlackFox
    Half-elven

Nov 20 2014, 9:53pm

Post #25 of 221 (7504 views)
    Shortcut
         Indeed [In reply to]  

Probably because of the armor.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.