Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part XXI
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 27 2014, 10:45am

Post #1 of 207 (4906 views)
Shortcut
     Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part XXI  

Twenty-One! And the roller-coaster ride WHEE! since TAXVIII continuesHeart
(Spoiler avoidance alert: There be spoilers since TAVIII due to the DOS EE release. Viewing in threaded mode is a better way to go about it if you're keen to avoid them, as you can check the sub-thread titles before you see anything you might regret... though what's to regret when it comes to Thranduil Pretty!, eh?)

Any and all appreciation of HeartThranduil and everything related to him happens here.
All HeartThranduil Thralls, and appreciating non-Thralls are welcome.Smile
So feel free to jump in at any time!

(Clicky!)

The Thranduil Appreciation thread count:
I | II (Originating threads by Rowan Greene) | III | IV | V | VI (Threads by Lurker in the Mirk)
VII (Thread by Eruvandi) | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV (Threads by Lurker in the Mirk)
XV (Thread by Eruvandi) | XVI (Thread by Lurker in the Mirk) | XVII (Thread by VValar) | XVIII
XIX | XX (Threads by Lurker in the Mirk)

NOTE: Please read the "IMPORTANT README for TA posters: Information on posting, and adding images" and the little PSA from the mods.

Thranduil Appreciation Lexicon aka the little TAspeak garden Tongue
  • BTS Easter Egg Find (aka BEEF): Those moments in the BTS when Thranduil/LP flashes by (see Unexpected Flash of Elf) on screen or some information is found. See also "Ninja-Hugger"
  • Bubba: Nickname of Thranduil's beloved War-Elk. See also "Maximum Fabulosity Exposure"
  • Equal Opportunistic Thrall: One who thralls whom her/his infidelity fancies. Shamelessly multi-allegiance by nature. See also "Thranduil Thralls"
  • Elvenking, The: That's right, that's how it's supposed to be written
  • Facemelt: That thing Thranduil does in T&T
  • Fanart: Popular post subject/title. Beacon for Thralls, as sure as moths dive into flames. See also "Pretty!"
    (Helpful reference for the threadlard inspired: See the "IMAGES" section of "The TA (very) Quickie Help/TIPS for adding IMAGES and POSTING" sections in this README FOR ALL TA Posters)
  • FEAST: Shorthand for Flustered Elrond AND Sassy Thranduil. In honour of Thranduil sass/badassery resulting in Elrond raising his eyebrows disapprovingly. May involve dramatic Elrond temple-rubbing. Elrond's fluster can be induced remotely or by proxy and does not require Elrond to be present when Thranduil does his thang. See also "FLAST", "FEASTING"
  • FEASTING: Shorthand for Flustered Elrond AND Sassy Thranduil Including Not-impressed Galadriel. Extension of FEAST, which includes Galadriel, also in disapproval mode, i.e. Elrond's fluster conditions in FEAST apply here for both Elrond and Galadriel
  • FLAST: Shorthand for Flustered Leggy AND Sassy Thranduil. In honour of the worship for badass (maybe a smidgeon of oblivious in there somewhere) Thranduil and his actions/non-actions resulting in Legolas getting into a flap. Requires Legolas to be present when Thranduil does his thang. See also "FEAST"
  • GotG: Guardians of the Galaxy. That movie in August 2014 with LP in it
  • HCF: Halt and Catch Fire. LP's 2014 TV series.
  • Hair of Thranduil (aka HoT) Appreciation. Appreciation for Thranduil's gloriously silken beautiful platinum blond locks.
  • High Thud Risk (aka HTR): Alert for Pretty! hoarding thralls, invoked when 'EI' ain't cutting it. See also "Pretty!"
  • LA/LAEM: The Last Alliance of Elves and Men, not the city in the States
  • Lee Pace: Thranduil
  • Leggy: affectionate diminutive of Legolas
  • Legolas: Son of Thranduil, aka surfer Elf of LotR
  • LP: Lee Pace
  • Maximum Fabulosity Exposure (aka MFE): Thranduil's complete magnificence doing anything. Inspired by his awesome cool when riding Bubba the War-Elk. See also "Bubba"
  • Ninja-Hugger: Specifically LP dispensing hugs. Not that he hugs ninjas, but because he's sneaky like a ninja when he hugs people in the TH Vlogs and appendices and it takes everyone forever to realize it was even him, usually because he's back to camera when he bounces into frame. Will the sneaky hugging never end? We hope not! See also "BTS Easter Egg Find", "Unexpected Flash of Elf"
  • Oropher: Father of Thranduil
  • Orry/Oro: affectionate diminutive of Oropher
  • PD: Pushing Daisies. LP's 2007/2008 TV series
  • Pretty!: Surely self-explanatory? See also "Woodland Weekend", "High Thud Risk"
  • Silent Thread Visitor (aka STV): Self-explanatory, also known as Silent Thread Reader. STVs, Thranduil has a question for you. What say you? Smile
  • T&T: The Thranduil and Thorin confrontation scene in DOS. Generally ranked top favourite of Thranduil Thralls
  • TA: Thranduil Appreciation. All-round Heart for the Elvenking and his onscreen avatar (and by extension teh actor. See also LP). Shockingly, there are TA posts with that literary bent associated with thinking individuals frequenting such an exemplary forum as TORn. Some even hint at functional brain-matter in the poster.
  • That disagreeable (among other things) Dwarf: See "T&T"
  • Theory of Bling: Overarching term for theories and speculation on the backstories of Thranduil's rings. Popular discussion circa TAIII/TAIV, but still pops up occasionally.
  • Thranddy: affectionateHeart diminutive of the Elvenking's name (if you don't know who is the Elvenking, google is your mellon)
  • Thrandfully: The right manner on how to express your thankfulness to all Thranduil-related and non-related subjects
  • Thranduil Thralls: The afflicted. Fangirls, and boys, whose allegiance are pledged to the Elvenking. Also known as the hopelessly enthralled to his ELVEN MAGNIFICENCE. Perturbing to some, Thralldom may not be exclusive. Credit goes to Eowyn of Penns Woods for the "official" Thranduil Thrall moniker. See also "Equal Opportunistic Thrall"
  • Threadlock: The inevitable fate of all TA threads exceeding 200 replies, aka mundane Chore of Mod. See also "Thread tipping"
  • Thread tipping: Post(s) that sends the current TA thread over the 200 replies threshold See also "Threadlock".
    (See the "AVOIDING GENERIC POST-DEATH" and "AVOIDING POST- DEATH FROM THREADLOCK" sections in this README FOR ALL TA Posters).
  • TW: Thrall Wars. An ongoing(?) bit of silliness in the Fan Art board ribbing everything in and about the Thralldoms of Thranduil and that disagreeable (among other things) Dwarf (see "T&T"). Here be the headtrickle of this bright little snarklestream to nowhere
  • Unexpected Flash of Elf (aka UFE): Those moments in the TH BTS, Vlogs when Thranduil/LP flashes by. See also "BTS Easter Egg Find", "Ninja-Hugger"
  • Woodland Weekend (aka WW): Occasional mega URL laden post for Pretty! of Thranduil, and LP. May also include goodness for Legolas, *cough*That disagreeable (among other things) Dwarf*cough* and some others. Selective indiscrimination is key. See also "Pretty!", "High Thud Risk"

• [Click here for the general TORnspeak lexicon]

Keeping track of the appreciation
    Caught off-guard at how much you've missed? 1 simple click will ensure you won't miss another update again. Put this thread on watch! Locate the "Watch thread" button to the top and right of this post (button 3 of the 5 threads buttons you see) and click it.

Also, if you click on the "creation" bit in the "Age" column (last one) when you view a forum, it changes to "activity", and you get a list of threads which has been recently posted to, instead of when they were started. It's a much easier way to find the current TA thread since someone will probably post in it, and it usually appears on page 1 of the activity view. Certainly beats going back through the board to look for it.

"I'll say dark and gritty, which, with the Elvenking, translates as Hot and Sexy. Cool" - vanima ephel

I fancy myself an ME BFF (Book/Film Fan) Smile

Heart Thranduil Appreciation
    Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies. Threadcount: XX
    I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare! Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), two, three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback, four, five (new, posted 20 August)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
    Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Oct 27 2014, 11:18am

Post #2 of 207 (4006 views)
    Shortcut
         A Look Back At Past TA Threads (XI to XX) [In reply to]  

Well, looks like time to do Part II of "A Look Back At The Past TA Threads" Smile

Thread XI. Started Aug 16. Locked Sep 8. 214 replies.

Thread XII. Started Sep 8. Locked Sep 16. 229 replies.

Thread XIII. Started Sep 16. Locked Sep 21. 201 replies.

Thread XIV. Started Sep 21. Locked Sep 26. 205 replies.

Thread XV. Started Sep 26. Locked Oct 3. 209 replies.

Thread XVI. Started Oct 3. Locked Oct 9. 208 replies.

Thread XVII. Started Oct 9. Locked Oct 14. 208 replies.

Thread XVIII. Started Oct 14. Locked Oct 19. 203 replies.

Thread XIX. Started Oct 20. Locked Oct 23. 215 replies.

Thread XX. Started Oct 23. Locked Oct 27. 208 replies.

... I guess it's safe to say we've gotten just a little armour-crazy Laugh

"I'll say dark and gritty, which, with the Elvenking, translates as Hot and Sexy. Cool" - vanima ephel

Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies. Threadcount: XXI
    I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare! Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), two, three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback, four, five (new, posted 20 August)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======

VValar
    Gondor

Oct 27 2014, 12:45pm

Post #3 of 207 (3994 views)
    Shortcut
         Let's celebrate TA 21 with a HR of the BOFA poster [In reply to]  

http://www-images.theonering.org/...OTFA_Intl_poster.jpg

Thranduil and Legolas at large Heart
    Poor Bilbo got the same pore treatment as Legolas with his poster Evil

If your ears aren't pointy, you're doing it wrong.

VValar
    Gondor

Oct 27 2014, 12:46pm

Post #4 of 207 (3957 views)
    Shortcut
         3rd from the top [In reply to]  

Got to say it's my fav Heart

mariel
    Lorien

Oct 27 2014, 2:21pm

Post #5 of 207 (3976 views)
    Shortcut
         My goodness [In reply to]  

That last thread flew by. I didn't get a chance to respond properly to some of the posts.
    Thanks Lurker for the advice in trying a host server in order to view the articles by Michael Martinez. I'll give it a go.

In the meantime a little more decoration

Eruvandi
    Tol Eressea

Oct 27 2014, 3:07pm

Post #6 of 207 (3915 views)
    Shortcut
         Thread XXI! [In reply to]  

And the appreciation rolls on.Cool

"Home is behind the world ahead
    And there are many paths to tread
    Through shadow to the edge of night
    Until the stars are all alight.

Mist and shadow
    Cloud and shade
    All shall fade
    All shall fade"

mariel
    Lorien

Oct 27 2014, 6:21pm

Post #7 of 207 (3911 views)
    Shortcut
         The antler crown and costume try-on [In reply to]  

All clicky

vanima ephel
    Rivendell

Oct 27 2014, 9:40pm

Post #8 of 207 (3860 views)
    Shortcut
         A question for stn5 or Lurker (or anyone who knows) [SPOILER ALERT but only so you'll know what I'm talking about...] [In reply to]  

WHAT?!
    Please excuse me, my real question is: what was the source for this? Was that a picture of a BOFA book(let) of some sort or was it another Total Film thing? (Because my Old Human Eyes couldn't read a bit of it - and tumblr is a mess, so I've had no luck finding a larger copy of it.)

Help a desperate Thrall out? Unsure

"I dissent, even at the risk of being held incorrect or not sober."

mariel
    Lorien

Oct 27 2014, 10:16pm

Post #9 of 207 (3860 views)
    Shortcut
         Do you mean this? - link removed - copyright violation [In reply to]  

If so, hope this is large enough for you to read

*link removed - copyright violation*

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Oct 27 2014, 11:59pm)

Eruvandi
    Tol Eressea

Oct 27 2014, 10:32pm

Post #10 of 207 (3851 views)
    Shortcut
         *drool* [In reply to]  

Thanks mariel! So much pretty!Heart

I hope they'll tell us at some point why they had this different crown on him. I figure it must have been what they were thinking about using at first and then changed their minds for some reason, but I do want to know the reason.Smile Not that the one they ended up with isn't fine, but this one was nice too! Maybe they just decided they didn't want him to resemble Bubba the war elk quite so much.Tongue

"Home is behind the world ahead
    And there are many paths to tread
    Through shadow to the edge of night
    Until the stars are all alight.

Mist and shadow
    Cloud and shade
    All shall fade
    All shall fade"

VValar
    Gondor

Oct 27 2014, 10:49pm

Post #11 of 207 (3849 views)
    Shortcut
         Thanks for the link to the bigger version of the text [In reply to]  

Good question Vanima because I couldn't read it either.

That is such a lame story imo. Never in any of Tolkien's scripts does it say Thranduil's wife is dead. For all we know she sailed to Valinor for whatever reason. I really hope it was the author's own liberty to write that piece about the white gems, and not the filmmaker's decision to incorporate such a non-canon plot twist.

VValar
    Gondor

Oct 27 2014, 10:52pm

Post #12 of 207 (3821 views)
    Shortcut
         Great piccies, I absolutely the second piece of fanart [In reply to]  

That look on Thranduil's face in the first piccie is priceless. He looks like he is bored or annoyed (with the Dwarves maybe?) and is giving his "don't mess with me" look.

Oh and that second fanart, wauw Heart If I'm not mistaken it looks like the environment from the deleted scene with Erebor in the background. Me likes Smile And that long, red robe. It almost looks like it's bleeding, such a great foreboding for BOFA!

vanima ephel
    Rivendell

Oct 27 2014, 11:57pm

Post #13 of 207 (3848 views)
    Shortcut
         Yes! [Real? Spoilers this time] [In reply to]  

Thank you, mariel! That is much easier to read.

Does that say that the "white gems of pure starlight" (from DoS) are called "White Gems of Las-----" (the last bit is mostly cut off)? Could it be Lasgalen, as in Eryn Lasgalen or Wood of Greenleaves, that Mirkwood is eventually renamed? And, wow, was that story about Dwarves and a cost dispute over gems with an Elven King even more explicitly lifted from a Thingol chapter of The Silmarillion than we were given in AUJ, or do I need to re-watch it?

Up close it looks more like a book than a magazine. Anybody know the title? (And where I can get my hands on one?)

I still don't know how I feel about the rest...

entmaiden
    Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 28 2014, 12:00am

Post #14 of 207 (3839 views)
    Shortcut
         Sorry - another copyright violation [In reply to]  

Links to scans from tumblr are a copyright violation, so I deleted your post. You can re-type short portions from the text, but reproducing in full is not a Fair Use of the text.

vanima ephel
    Rivendell

Oct 28 2014, 12:08am

Post #15 of 207 (3832 views)
    Shortcut
         Elves look durn good In Uniform. [In reply to]  

(If you'll pardon my southernism.) Especially this Elf. Wink But it only takes The Face you've given us this time around (and whatever that sweet expression is) to make me melt. Heart

mariel
    Lorien

Oct 28 2014, 12:13am

Post #16 of 207 (3796 views)
    Shortcut
         Quick query [In reply to]  

Sorry about the above. I'm pretty new to this forum. Does it also mean that links to images on Tumblr are also copyright violations? If so, I'd better stop. Or is it just text that is copyrighted?

VValar
    Gondor

Oct 28 2014, 12:20am

Post #17 of 207 (3783 views)
    Shortcut
         My thoughts exactly [In reply to]  

Though I haven't quite read Thingol's part in the Silm (yet...), I have read bits and pieces of it on the net. And when I read Mariel's scan of the article I immediately thought the filmmakers/scriptwriters must have copied this made-up character history of Thranduil from Thingol's Silm story and the dispute Thingol had with the Dwarves concerning a certain necklace. It's too much of a coincidence to not directly link it back to Thingol's story. Quite sloppy if you ask me and way too obvious. If you are going to make something up from scratch, please be sure to make it as canon as possible. Now it looks like they burrowed some of Thingol's story, added a bit of dead wife drama to it, twisted it around and voila! They suddenly came up with a 'plausible' reason for Thranduil's white gems fixation and sudden Dwarven aversion Crazy It just doesn't cut it for me, I'm sorry. I wish I could be more enthousiastic about it but I'm not. And I'm still waiting for that trailer too. My hightened anticipation doesn't do anything but enhance my foul mood about the overall annoyance of this entire situation.

*Ok breath in, breath out*

Angelic

(This post was edited by VValar on Oct 28 2014, 12:22am)

VValar
    Gondor

Oct 28 2014, 12:26am

Post #18 of 207 (3798 views)
    Shortcut
         About your linking to tumblr question [In reply to]  

Mariel I just read in another topic a mod wrote:

In Reply To

Images from books, unless they are from official sites, can not be posted here. It's a copyright violation, and a violation of TORN's Terms of Service, to post these images, or to link to them.

So links to tumblr post should be just fine, as long as they are not linking to any (un)official book material.

vanima ephel
    Rivendell

Oct 28 2014, 12:47am

Post #19 of 207 (3787 views)
    Shortcut
         I did some follow-up on that... [In reply to]  

And if what mariel just posted was from the same source, then it's The Hobbit - BotFA Official Guide that I need to be looking for.

And I have seen that sort of thing banned at other sites, but hadn't noticed what might have been copyrighted material being removed from this site. (Obviously, whoever is policing the masses at tumblr couldn't care less.)

vanima ephel
    Rivendell

Oct 28 2014, 12:57am

Post #20 of 207 (3819 views)
    Shortcut
         It looks like it's probably just the copyrighted material... [In reply to]  

I was afraid, for a sec there, that "linking" to another site now equaled "hotlinking" here, but maybe not. *is a noob*

vanima ephel
    Rivendell

Oct 28 2014, 1:16am

Post #21 of 207 (3776 views)
    Shortcut
         I love the red... [In reply to]  

It's eye-catching. And, like VValar, I think it gives the impression of dripping blood.

VValar is looking forward, but you could also look back. Is it meant to be Thranduil's blood (due to old wounds) or the blood that's - metaphorically - on his hands (due to past conflicts)? The answer is likely in the source it was it taken from: a Thranduil Thrall or a Thorin Thrall? Tongue

(This post was edited by vanima ephel on Oct 28 2014, 1:21am)

vanima ephel
    Rivendell

Oct 28 2014, 1:20am

Post #22 of 207 (3768 views)
    Shortcut
         Urm... [In reply to]  

Unless they make a distinction between linking directly to a picture on its own and linking to the webpage the picture is a part of. Crazy

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Oct 28 2014, 2:33am

Post #23 of 207 (3771 views)
    Shortcut
         *squee* oooh, new Pretty!, thanks mariel! [In reply to]  

Love the 'shop on the first one, and that second piece... had seen it but it's so good to come into TA and see it already up too! You're the bees' knees, mariel!

Celebration and confetti!TongueAngelicHeart And yes, it's time for our favourite question!HeartLaugh

In Reply To
    I didn't get a chance to respond properly to some of the posts.

just put them in this thread, mariel. It's a continuation thread after all. You've seen a few of us do it with impunityAngelic You can lump them into one post or make a post for each, up to your preference. You know we're easy... as long as we don't incur WoM.

Oh, and sure hope the web proxy thing works for you! The alternative is to ask your service provider for help. I had a similar issue with a specific work-related hosted in the US, though a public-access site that I just could not access from home (my colleagues had no such issues). After a few go-arounds with my service provider's tech support, which included tracing the
    time and the path between my ip addy and the site (at their guidance), they changed my modem (at no cost to me) and viola! And all my other activities online remain unaffected.

And in response to your post in XX: "Thanks as always"

In Reply To
    For putting in the time and effort to treat the rest of us. It is always something I look forward to. You are amazingly organised!

Heart

Btw, ref the very last one in this post. Didn't do it for me, but then I suppose we all have our own ideas of what characters look like and it will be different for every one of us

You are very welcome! Hee... "organised"... some aspects yes, others... well, let's leave it at the ellipsesEvil i'm just thankful organisation exist in this aspect of my existenceLaugh

On the last one, agreed! I just thought it was amusing - imagine the dead looks all-round we'd be getting for the entirety of the movie if this casting came through, but well, it's got quite a bit of stuff bordering on EI so eh, I tucked it in there instead of putting it up for a "proper" discussionTongue

Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies. Threadcount: XXI
    I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Oct 28 2014, 2:36am

Post #24 of 207 (3795 views)
    Shortcut
         And here's Thranduil isolated from the clutter [In reply to]  

Oooh, love the intensity. Thranduil MEANS business.

In Reply To
    Poor Bilbo got the same pore treatment as Legolas with his poster Evil

Bilbo fared better, imoEvil

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Oct 28 2014, 2:38am

Post #25 of 207 (3753 views)
    Shortcut
         Really? [In reply to]  

Couldn't tell, not from your avatar anywayTongue

=======

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.