Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part XVI
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 3 2014, 3:19am

Post #1 of 209 (7385 views)
Shortcut
     Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part XVI  

Thanks to BlackFox and VValar tipping TAXV, Thranduil Appreciation is rolling on to sweet sweet sixteenSmile (featuring a pruned and spruced TAspeak garden)

Any and all appreciation of HeartThranduil and everything related to him happens here.
All HeartThranduil Thralls, and appreciating non-Thralls are welcome.Smile
So feel free to jump in at any time!

(Clicky!)

The Thranduil Appreciation thread count:
I | II (Originating threads by Rowan Greene) | III | IV | V | VI (Threads by Lurker in the Mirk)
VII (Thread by Eruvandi) | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV (Threads by Lurker in the Mirk)
XV (Thread by Eruvandi)

NOTE: Please read the "IMPORTANT README for TA posters: Information on posting, and adding images"

Thranduil Appreciation Lexicon aka the little TAspeak garden Tongue
  • BTS Easter Egg Find (aka BEEF): Those moments in the BTS when Thranduil/LP flashes by (see Unexpected Flash of Elf) on screen or some information is found. See also "Ninja-Hugger"
  • Bubba: Nickname of Thranduil's beloved War-Elk. See also "Maximum Fabulosity Exposure"
  • Equal Opportunistic Thrall: One who thralls whom her/his infidelity fancies. Shamelessly multi-allegiance by nature. See also "Thranduil Thralls"
  • Elvenking, The: That's right, that's how it's supposed to be written
  • Facemelt: That thing Thranduil does in T&T
  • Fanart: Popular post subject/title. Beacon for Thralls, as sure as moths dive into flames. See also "Pretty!"
    (Helpful reference for the threadlard inspired: See the "IMAGES" section of "The TA (very) Quickie Help/TIPS for adding IMAGES and POSTING" sections in this README FOR ALL TA Posters)
  • FEAST: Shorthand for Flustered Elrond AND Sassy Thranduil. In honour of Thranduil sass/badassery resulting in Elrond raising his eyebrows disapprovingly. May involve dramatic Elrond temple-rubbing. Elrond's fluster can be induced remotely or by proxy and does not require Elrond to be present when Thranduil does his thang. See also "FLAST", "FEASTING"
  • FEASTING: Shorthand for Flustered Elrond AND Sassy Thranduil Including Not-impressed Galadriel. Extension of FEAST, which includes Galadriel, also in disapproval mode, i.e. Elrond's fluster conditions in FEAST apply here for both Elrond and Galadriel
  • FLAST: Shorthand for Flustered Leggy AND Sassy Thranduil. In honour of the worship for badass (maybe a smidgeon of oblivious in there somewhere) Thranduil and his actions/non-actions resulting in Legolas getting into a flap. Requires Legolas to be present when Thranduil does his thang. See also "FEAST"
  • GotG: Guardians of the Galaxy. That movie in August 2014 with LP in it
  • HCF: Halt and Catch Fire. LP's 2014 TV series.
  • High Thud Risk (aka HTR): Alert for Pretty! hoarding thralls, invoked when 'EI' ain't cutting it. See also "Pretty!"
  • LA/LAEM: The Last Alliance of Elves and Men, not the city in the States
  • Lee Pace: Thranduil
  • Leggy: affectionate diminutive of Legolas
  • Legolas: Son of Thranduil, aka surfer Elf of LotR
  • LP: Lee Pace
  • Maximum Fabulosity Exposure (aka MFE): Thranduil's complete magnificence when riding Bubba the War-Elk. See also "Bubba"
  • Ninja-Hugger: Specifically LP dispensing hugs. Not that he hugs ninjas, but because he's sneaky like a ninja when he hugs people in the TH Vlogs and appendices and it takes everyone forever to realize it was even him, usually because he's back to camera when he bounces into frame. Will the sneaky hugging never end? We hope not! See also "BTS Easter Egg Find", "Unexpected Flash of Elf"
  • Oropher: Father of Thranduil
  • Orry/Oro: affectionate diminutive of Oropher
  • PD: Pushing Daisies. LP's 2007/2008 TV series
  • Pretty!: Surely self-explanatory? See also "Woodland Weekend", "High Thud Risk"
  • Silent Thread Visitor (aka STV): Self-explanatory, also known as Silent Thread Reader. STVs, Thranduil has a question for you. What say you? Smile
  • T&T: The Thranduil and Thorin confrontation scene in DOS. Generally ranked top favourite of Thranduil Thralls
  • TA: Thranduil Appreciation. All-round Heart for the Elvenking and his onscreen avatar (and by extension teh actor. See also LP). Shockingly, there are TA posts with that literary bent associated with thinking individuals frequenting such an exemplary forum as TORn. Some even hint at functional brain-matter in the poster.
  • That disagreeable (among other things) Dwarf: See "T&T"
  • Theory of Bling: Overarching term for theories and speculation on the backstories of Thranduil's rings. Popular discussion circa TAIII/TAIV, but still pops up occasionally.
  • Thranddy: affectionateHeart diminutive of the Elvenking's name (if you don't know who is the Elvenking, google is your mellon)
  • Thranduil Thralls: The afflicted. Fangirls, and boys, whose allegiance are pledged to the Elvenking. Also known as the hopelessly enthralled to his ELVEN MAGNIFICENCE. Perturbing to some, Thralldom may not be exclusive. Credit goes to Eowyn of Penns Woods for the "official" Thranduil Thrall moniker. See also "Equal Opportunistic Thrall"
  • Threadlock: The inevitable fate of all TA threads exceeding 200 replies, aka mundane Chore of Mod. See also "Thread tipping"
  • Thread tipping: Post(s) that sends the current TA thread over the 200 replies threshold See also "Threadlock".
    (See the "AVOIDING GENERIC POST-DEATH" and "AVOIDING POST- DEATH FROM THREADLOCK" sections in this README FOR ALL TA Posters).
  • TW: Thrall Wars. An ongoing(?) bit of silliness in the Fan Art board ribbing everything in and about the Thralldoms of Thranduil and that disagreeable (among other things) Dwarf (see "T&T"). Here be the headtrickle of this bright little snarklestream to nowhere
  • Unexpected Flash of Elf (aka UFE): Those moments in the TH BTS, Vlogs when Thranduil/LP flashes by. See also "BTS Easter Egg Find", "Ninja-Hugger"
  • Woodland Weekend (aka WW): Occasional mega URL laden post for Pretty! of Thranduil, and LP. May also include goodness for Legolas, *cough*That disagreeable (among other things) Dwarf*cough* and some others. Selective indiscrimination is key. See also "Pretty!", "High Thud Risk"

• [Click here for the general TORnspeak lexicon]

Keeping track of the appreciation
    Caught off-guard at how much you've missed? 1 simple click will ensure you won't miss another update again. Put this thread on watch! Locate the "Watch thread" button to the top and right of this post (button 3 of the 5 threads buttons you see) and click it.

Also, if you click on the "creation" bit in the "Age" column (last one) when you view a forum, it changes to "activity", and you get a list of threads which has been recently posted to, instead of when they were started. It's a much easier way to find the current TA thread since someone will probably post in it, and it usually appears on page 1 of the activity view. Certainly beats going back through the board to look for it.

Fan of both books and movies; I am a lurker by nature though it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Heart Thranduil Appreciation
    Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies. Threadcount: XV
    I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare! Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), two, three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback, four, five (new, posted 20 August)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
    Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Oct 12 2014, 2:09am)

Eruvandi
    Tol Eressea

Oct 3 2014, 3:43am

Post #2 of 209 (6297 views)
    Shortcut
         Can't believe I missed the majority of the last thread :( [In reply to]  

*sigh* I'm happy we're on to TAXVISmile, but I'm sad I missed most of the previous TA thread.Frown Still working on those lengthy written assignments for my classes. No seriously, I'm working on one of them right now. It's past 11:30 pm here, and I'm still online because I'm trying to finally finish one of the assignment and there's still two more coming.Pirate At least I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel, so hopefully I'll be back in full posting form before the next TA thread starts. Evil

I'm starting to have Thranduil withdrawal over here.Unsure

*slinks off to finish the totally annoying assignment before midnight*

P.S. I really like the OP pic!Cool

"Home is behind the world ahead
    And there are many paths to tread
    Through shadow to the edge of night
    Until the stars are all alight.

Mist and shadow
    Cloud and shade
    All shall fade
    All shall fade"

BlackFox
    Half-elven

Oct 3 2014, 8:52am

Post #3 of 209 (6290 views)
    Shortcut
         Re: VValar's "Ah so that's where black foxes come from" in TAXV [In reply to]  

In Reply To
    Didn't know they hail from Mirkwood, that explains quite a lot indeed.

Lol Sly your selfie with The Elvenking himself. How did you manage that? You look very cute!

Well, if the squirrels of Mirkwood are black, then so must be the foxes, don't you reckon? Tongue

Why, thank you! Now, about that... I'm afraid I'm not allowed to say much about our encounter, but I can tell you one thing: it didn't come cheap. It cost him a nice amount of money. CoolLaugh *abandons thread*

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Oct 3 2014, 9:03am

Post #4 of 209 (6269 views)
    Shortcut
         awww ... [In reply to]  

Here's something's mariel put up in XV for instant cheering up.

Oooh, glad you like the OP image!

Been broadsided by RL riiiiight after starting the thread. Will be back with more Pretty!

Fan of both books and movies; I am a lurker by nature though it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies. Threadcount: XVI
    I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XV | XIV

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare! Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), two, three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback, four, five (new, posted 20 August)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Oct 3 2014, 9:05am)

cats16
    Valinor

Oct 3 2014, 10:48am

Post #5 of 209 (6253 views)
    Shortcut
         Re: Elves to Valinor in TAXV [In reply to]  

Ok, I didn't find the one I was looking for, but did come across an older RR discussion that touches on the topic of the '-we' Three Amigos who went to Valinor.

Here's the thread, started by squire back in '09: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=212775#212775

They were lords, then. I don't see anything hinting at the three who originally woke up; but, as said in the past thread, that was only a legend, even for the Elves. Gah, I need to read the Silm again. Well, everything, if I'm being honest. Wink

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Oct 3 2014, 11:08am

Post #6 of 209 (6240 views)
    Shortcut
         ahhh... so that's how it happened [In reply to]  

[replyWhy, thank you! Now, about that... I'm afraid I'm not allowed to say much about our encounter, but I can tell you one thing: it didn't come cheap. It cost him a nice amount of money.  *abandons thread* ]

So Thranduil paid out a fortune in the name of ending fur-wearing in the Forest for you! Way to advance animal welfare, BlackFox!Tongue

Hey... where'd she go? *shrugs and mutters* flighty foxes.

Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies. Threadcount: XVI
    I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XV | XIV

=======

VValar
    Gondor

Oct 3 2014, 12:42pm

Post #7 of 209 (6238 views)
    Shortcut
         Sweet 16! [In reply to]  

Look at how fast we go!
    Absolutely love the OP you used for our Sweet 16- TA Party HeartHeartHeart You know this means a lot of Party King imagery Cool

Mariel posted this beautiful piece of art in the last thread. I think it also deserves a place in our newest TA thread Smile
    (Ps Mariel, I have it set as my bg image on my ipad. Even my brother thought it looked cool -and he isn't all that interested in anything TH related-. He even could name the image as being 'one of the Elves' from LotR. Not entirely correct but close, still made me proud Evil)

(Clicky for HR Pretty!)

(This post was edited by VValar on Oct 3 2014, 12:44pm)

VValar
    Gondor

Oct 3 2014, 12:46pm

Post #8 of 209 (6264 views)
    Shortcut
         More Thranduil art [In reply to]  

Heart

(Clicky)

VValar
    Gondor

Oct 3 2014, 12:47pm

Post #9 of 209 (6231 views)
    Shortcut
         Leggy art [In reply to]  

Heart

(Clicky)

VValar
    Gondor

Oct 3 2014, 12:55pm

Post #10 of 209 (6227 views)
    Shortcut
         Good luck on your assignments [In reply to]  

They're important as well. What are they about? (did I mention I'm a very curious person Angelic)
    But hey it's not good having Thranduil withdrawal Unsure
    Legolas is feeling sorry for you

VValar
    Gondor

Oct 3 2014, 1:05pm

Post #11 of 209 (6200 views)
    Shortcut
         I'n sure it was worth his pay [In reply to]  

In Reply To
    it didn't come cheap. It cost him a nice amount of money. CoolLaugh

LOL Sly

Don't forget to check in from time to time!

VValar
    Gondor

Oct 3 2014, 1:10pm

Post #12 of 209 (6214 views)
    Shortcut
         Thanks for the link [In reply to]  

I've only read the OP but it looks interesting! Going to read more tonight.

cats16
    Valinor

Oct 3 2014, 1:13pm

Post #13 of 209 (6216 views)
    Shortcut
         That one was a short thread... [In reply to]  

So don't expect too much more. Tongue

Although, reading through their entire read-through might be interesting.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Eruvandi
    Tol Eressea

Oct 3 2014, 3:11pm

Post #14 of 209 (6229 views)
    Shortcut
         Thanks, Lurker [In reply to]  

Thranduil's smile always cheers me up!Smile

Mist and shadow
    Cloud and shade
    All shall fade
    All shall fade"

mariel
    Lorien

Oct 3 2014, 3:24pm

Post #15 of 209 (6219 views)
    Shortcut
         You have very good taste [In reply to]  

I think it is one of the best pieces of fan art I've seen so far. Some people have so much talent. I never progressed beyond the stick men stage, and even they look dodgy!
    You are obviously having a good and positive influence on your brotherSmile

Eruvandi
    Tol Eressea

Oct 3 2014, 3:26pm

Post #16 of 209 (6216 views)
    Shortcut
         Thanks, VValar [In reply to]  

They're important as well. What are they about? (did I mention I'm a very curious person Angelic)
    But hey it's not good having Thranduil withdrawal Unsure
    Legolas is feeling sorry for you

Thanks to Leggy too.Smile The assignments are all about classroom management. I hope to teach pre-school or elementary school someday, or at least be a teacher's aid and classroom management is one of the courses I have to take to do that. The assignment from last night was a theoretical case study where I had to use the info from 17 pages of research sheets to create a plan that will help these two fourth graders stop picking on each other and distracting the whole class.

That assignment is done, so now I just have to do the other two, one of which is a 300 word on how having lesson plans done ahead of time helps with classroom management, and the other one is for next week which is the final course project where I create a full management plan for the classroom I hope to have someday. I've just gotta keep repeating to myself, "Just one week left, then you'll get a little break!"Evil

*goes off to write 300 words*

Mist and shadow
    Cloud and shade
    All shall fade
    All shall fade"

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Oct 4 2014, 4:41am

Post #17 of 209 (6161 views)
    Shortcut
         Various general responses to posts in XV [In reply to]  

@dernwyn
    *ahem*

In Reply To
    Good heavens, gals! Haven't you posted everything from DeviantArt yet? Wink

Depends really. What's in that "everything" you're alluding to?CrazyTongue

@VValar
    Staff

In Reply To
    I think he was meant to portray the Monkey King in a humorous kind of way, the entrire movie has a funny undertone. But it still freaked me out, the same way it probably did you. And agreed on JL's acting abilities, they are not top notch to say the least Evil

Eh, the Monkey King's character is supposed to be mischievious and badass jester all in one. He is truly the epitome of boisterous monkey, finding comedy in everything (almost) he does or happen around him. Think of him as Loki without the psychosis Smile

In Reply To
    Great way to swing in a couple of staff-related Thranduil piccies. Though I might never look at that staff ever the same, Monkey Kings' magical staff has screwed me up a bit I'm afraid Crazy

Awww... even the majesty of Thranduil and his staff hasn't remedied the situation? Well, no matter! I'm sure it's just a matter of time. The coming trailer (btw I put up a bit of farnie around the anticipation), the EE and the actual BotFA will cure you of that.Heart

I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Oct 4 2014, 4:44am

Post #18 of 209 (6129 views)
    Shortcut
         Wow... thanks, cats16! [In reply to]  

Must have taken some doing to dig that thread up from 2009. Appreciate it!

And thanks to BlackFox for the information she provided too.

For anyone interested, here's the subthread head containing all the goodness.

In Reply To
    They were lords, then. I don't see anything hinting at the three who originally woke up; but, as said in the past thread, that was only a legend, even for the Elves. Gah, I need to read the Silm again. Well, everything, if I'm being honest. Wink

A lot of mulling to do there.

Though:
    Gah, I need to read the Silm again. Well, everything, if I'm being honest. Wink
    For what it's worth, that's how I feelCrazyTongue

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Oct 4 2014, 4:50am

Post #19 of 209 (6133 views)
    Shortcut
         Way to go, mariel! (And linkie) [In reply to]  

mariel's on a roll with unearthing new Pretty! First that fantastic Thranduil smile on his throneHeart and now this. I am so late, like you, VValar. But just chuffed to see the Pretty already up when I check inSmile

btw, the linky you got isn't pointing to mariel's post, here it is for anyone waiting to grab that Pretty! and the other piece of fanart.

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Oct 4 2014, 4:51am

Post #20 of 209 (6153 views)
    Shortcut
         oooh... love this! [In reply to]  

Thanks!

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Oct 4 2014, 4:52am

Post #21 of 209 (6154 views)
    Shortcut
         hints of his daddy's awesome [In reply to]  

in that pose!AngelicHeart Very nice!

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Oct 4 2014, 5:43am

Post #22 of 209 (6103 views)
    Shortcut
         continuing on since this relates to the Silm readalong [In reply to]  

The Noldor Family Tree - FA to TA

And look! Fingolfin!

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Oct 4 2014, 5:49am

Post #23 of 209 (6144 views)
    Shortcut
         Father and Son moments [In reply to]  

In response to VValar's post

In Reply To
    That reminds me of this other very funny pic of Legolas. Without any Party King but I just had to LOL at Legolas' expression

Awww, pooor Leggy Tongue

Imagine Thranduil's reaction to Leggy's achy breaky heart if this is how he feels about a Leggy nosebleedTongue

=======

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Oct 4 2014, 5:50am)

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Oct 4 2014, 5:53am

Post #24 of 209 (6137 views)
    Shortcut
         Fanart: One of those heartmelting moment [In reply to]  

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Oct 4 2014, 6:09am

Post #25 of 209 (6124 views)
    Shortcut
         Interview: "Thranduil: Lee Pace's Destiny?" [In reply to]  

Nothing really earth-shattering, though it might be a nice read for those new to the appreciationSmile

link

=======

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Oct 4 2014, 6:10am)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.