Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 7 2012, 4:11pm

Post #1 of 34 (4238 views)
Shortcut
Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week! Can't Post

Hello and welcome to TORn’s very first Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week.

This thread will be a weekly (or at least bi-weekly) feature, aimed at reporting the latest news during the production (and release) of The Hobbit trilogy. We all know how quickly The Hobbit board can move, so for anyone that wishes to find out the most recent news (both spoilerific, and not) this is the place to check.

The thread was originally born out of the magnificent mind of Magpie. Click
here for the original thread, and to find out more information.

This is very much the beginning stages of this (hopefully) long running thread. It would be grand if everyone could leave comments and feedback (either below, or by PM) to make sure this is being approached in the appropriate manner. I expect it will take a couple of weeks to iron out the format, the links, the contents etc., so that it suites everybody’s needs.

Since this is an initial thread, we’ll be trialling the following classification of spoilers:

S! - Spoiler! (Warning - you will be spoiled by opening the link)
LS - Limited Spoilers (Tidbits and snippets, no hard spoilers)
NS - No Spoilers (No spoilers contained whatsoever)

You have been warned! Tongue

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

03-SEP-2012

James Nesbitt talks about his character, Bofur. LS [
Thread] [Source]

New pictures of Thorin Oakenshield, from 2013 Hobbit Annual. S! [
Thread] [Source]

First pictures of the Great Goblin (and minions). S! [
Thread]

04-SEP-2012

Brief interview with Mikael Persbrandt. LS [
Thread] [Source]

Hobbit movie spoilers from 2012 Dragon*Con. S! [
Thread] [Source]

05-SEP-2012

Hobbit movie set staying until 2014. LS [
Thread] [Source]

Short interview with Hobbit set rigger. LS [
Thread] [Source]

06-SEP-2012

New Zealand release date for An Unexpected Journey confirmed. NS [
Thread]

07-SEP-2012

James Nesbitt interview on BBC Radio 2. Unfolding news LS/S! [
Thread]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Sep 7 2012, 4:19pm)

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Sep 7 2012, 4:14pm

Post #2 of 34 (3616 views)
Shortcut
Well done, one and all! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is a very helpful thread for those of us with limited time (and, I'll admit, patience) for sifting through everything that appears on the Hobbit boards.

My thanks to Magpie for coming up with the idea, and to you, Daniel LB, for going along so smartly (in both meanings of the word Tongue) when you were volunteered for the job.

Cheers!

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 7 2012, 4:28pm

Post #3 of 34 (3610 views)
Shortcut
big hug to Daniel Striped Tiger! [In reply to] Can't Post

(which, I'm sorry... is now my official pet name for you since I have such great affection for DST. And I see Daniel Striped Tiger is coming back to us, although he seems to have dropped his middle name. Shame. That was the best part of his name. Do you Europeans know Mr. Rogers and DST?)

Thanks for this. As we get closer to December, I'm really excited to do my best to keep up with the news.

PS... I love the exclamation point at the end of the S for spoilers. Perfect touch. :-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Sep 7 2012, 4:30pm)

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Sep 7 2012, 4:34pm

Post #4 of 34 (3598 views)
Shortcut
Thanks to you and everyone who helped put this together! // [In reply to] Can't Post

How will you get to the Lonely Mountain?
Help TORn log enough miles to get us to Smaug's home and back by Dec. 2013
Walk to Rivendell - Thursdays on Main

My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

NottaSackville
Valinor

Sep 7 2012, 4:52pm

Post #5 of 34 (3595 views)
Shortcut
This is great, thanks DanielLB and magpie! [In reply to] Can't Post

One minor suggestion -

I'd prefer the links sorted by S!/LS/NS groups rather than date.

Notta

How will you get to the Lonely Mountain?

Help TORn log enough miles to get us to Smaug's home by Dec. 2013: Walk to Rivendell - Thursdays on Main (image courtesy of Arwen's daughter)

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Sep 7 2012, 5:02pm

Post #6 of 34 (3596 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for this! [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice to see it all gathered together, saves time scrolling through the headlines. A very nice and useful addition to the forum.

"Radagast is, of course, a worthy wizard, a master of shapes and changes of hue, and he has much lore of herbs and beasts, and birds are especially his friends."-Gandalf, The Lord of the Rings.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 7 2012, 5:54pm

Post #7 of 34 (3599 views)
Shortcut
Ahh, I'm glad you approve Magpie :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

I really wanted to create something that reflected your original suggestion. Though, I've just realised I should have gone from last Saturday, rather than Monday Blush.

There was a last minute manic period - none of the links worked! I originally wrote the thread in Mircrosoft Word - I presume that then messed up the links once I copied and pasted into onto here? For some reason the links are black, rather than blue. I suspect that's also down to Word.

I have no idea who DST is, but I'm just searching youtube! Laugh

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 7 2012, 6:45pm

Post #8 of 34 (3590 views)
Shortcut
Very handy indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

a great resource. Thank you.

Does the week begin on Sunday? If so might we include this:

02-SEP-2012

Games Workshop leaked list update. S! [Thread]

Also I think this article from September 5, 2012 is significant for historical reasons, though I won't name it since I'm not sure it falls under the purview of this thread.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on 0 secs ago)

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Sep 7 2012, 6:46pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 7 2012, 7:13pm

Post #9 of 34 (3577 views)
Shortcut
If this thread is posted on Friday [In reply to] Can't Post

It should include everything from the previous Saturday to the Friday. I forgot to add Saturday and Sunday, since I put them in the example over in Feedback. Blush So yes, the GW link should have been included.

I'm not that sure about the article. I simple google search brings up plenty of websites that "review" the announcement of The Hobbit trilogy. This one's just lucky it has a thread here. Does it need to be mentioned?

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 7 2012, 8:01pm

Post #10 of 34 (3576 views)
Shortcut
This is wonderful. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you've got the format just right. Smile

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Patty
Immortal

Sep 7 2012, 8:25pm

Post #11 of 34 (3572 views)
Shortcut
Thanks all. This is an altogether wonderful idea, especially for... [In reply to] Can't Post

those whose RL keeps them away.

I am signed up to receive updates from TORn, but this is a one-stop shop. Love it.

Permanent address: Into the West

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 7 2012, 9:04pm

Post #12 of 34 (3569 views)
Shortcut
never compose in Word [In reply to] Can't Post

If you want to compose ahead of time, do it in something like Notepad or the Mac equivalent.

Or, if you just can't stop yourself, don't do any formatting in Word, then ... when you go to paste it into a compose window here... switch to Basic Editor, paste the text, then switch back to Advanced Editor and do your formatting.

Word hates the Web. The Web hates Word. (actually lots of things and people hate Word but that's another thread)

Mr Rogers was a man who had a children's television program called Mr Rogers' Neighborhood. He was very concerned with early childhood development and his programs were all very quiet and gentle and talked about things that young children might be interested in with lots of imaginative play including a hand puppet world - the Neighborhood of Make Believe - where one of the characters was Daniel Striped Tiger.

Daniel was the 'small child' of that neighborhood. He had the questions and fears that young children have and adults always made sure he was doing okay. Wikipedia describes him thusly:
Daniel Stripèd Tiger (voiced by Fred Rogers) — The first puppet ever to appear on Children's Corner and Mister Rogers' Neighborhood. Daniel is a shy, tame tiger who lives in a non-functioning grandmother clock with no hands (because in make-believe it is what ever time you imagine.) Despite his shyness, Daniel exhibits phenomenal wisdom and intelligence when he does speak (he discerns the root of Lady Elaine's bad behavior on several occasions). He is the only child among the puppets whose parents are never seen, nor spoken of. He has a close friendship with Lady Aberlin, with whom she often nuzzles his nose and says "Ugga Mugga". His favorite toy is a small dumptruck, and he wears a watch on one arm because "when you live in a clock you really should know what time it is". Daniel mentions that he doesn't have grandparents, but would like some, and thus gets some pretend ones in the opera A Granddad for Daniel. He was the ring bearer for Betty and James' wedding. He was named after Dorthy Daniel, who gave Fred the original puppet. In July, 2011, PBS announced that Daniel's son (also named Daniel) would be the star of his own show Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood.

I didn't grow up with Mr Rogers and - since he's so gentle - is was easy, as a young adult, to kind of dismiss him as too bland. But when I had my own kids and sat down to watch him, I realized that his message was profound. He ended each show saying, 'You've made this day a special day by just your being you. There's no person in the whole world like you. And I like you just the way you are.'

It was a good message and he was a good man and I think Daniel Striped Tiger was just the embodiment of the message Fred Rogers was trying to convey. He was a great friend to children and many adults who can always hear that message everyonce in awhile, too.

"Ugga Mugga" ... I used that to comfort a friend by email who was struggling with cancer treatments. It's just a lovely little phrase, isn't it?

Here's a page of quotes from Rodgers to show what kind of man he was.
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Fred_Rogers

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 7 2012, 9:12pm

Post #13 of 34 (3562 views)
Shortcut
Makes sense, good work Daniel {nt} [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on 0 secs ago)

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Sep 7 2012, 9:31pm

Post #14 of 34 (3564 views)
Shortcut
Brilliant! [In reply to] Can't Post

. . . but, might it be more appropriate to have them on the "Movies - Hobbit" page? Evil

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began
Now far ahead the Road has gone
And I must follow, if I can

"Thorin sat up with a start. 'Something is not right,' he muttered to himself as he stood up and
looked towards the mirror . . . . . . . . . 'Durin's bones', he gasped, 'what's happened to my beard?'"

(This post was edited by Altaira on Sep 8 2012, 12:08am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 7 2012, 9:44pm

Post #15 of 34 (3579 views)
Shortcut
Answered in the feedback thread [In reply to] Can't Post

Others might like to clarify, but the thread is intended for a wider audience, than those that visit The Hobbit board. The Hobbit part of the forum moves at an alarming speed - it's hard to keep up at the best of times. The thread is here for those that do not check The Hobbit board (for the above reason), occasionally visit and only have time to make quick glimpses, and those that don't want to visit the board incase of being completely spoiled.

It's a recap thread for the broader masses.

Plus, if I post this in The Hobbit board, it will be on page 2 by the morning. We'll need a recap thread for the recap thread!

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Sep 7 2012, 10:15pm

Post #16 of 34 (3556 views)
Shortcut
Your words are wondrous and strange, oh great and powerful Daniel . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

. . . as Feedback Thread is not in my data banks. Unsure

"Thorin sat up with a start. 'Something is not right,' he muttered to himself as he stood up and
looked towards the mirror . . . . . . . . . 'Durin's bones', he gasped, 'what's happened to my beard?'"

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 7 2012, 10:51pm

Post #17 of 34 (3559 views)
Shortcut
Quick note: Going forward, this thread will be locked to comments [In reply to] Can't Post

We want this to be a place for summarizing Hobbit news, but it is not a discussion thread. The links that Daniel provides will take you to the Hobbit Movie discussion board, where you are free to discuss away!

Thanks Daniel, Magpie, and everyone who is participating in creating this post. Great job! And a great example of the marvelous community we have here.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Sep 7 2012, 11:13pm

Post #18 of 34 (3540 views)
Shortcut
Mr. Rogers [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry for the comment, but the thread is not locked yet, so I figure permission is still implicit and I couldn't resist Magpie's recall of Mr. Rogers.

I grew up with Mr. Rogers. Sesame Street was a little late in life for me, but I did watch a little and remember watching the very first episode where the Muppets were having a meeting about what to call their new show. They came up with a lot of long, silly names. But I watched Mr. Rogers most days. I must have been cynical even then because when he said we're special, I was aware that millions of kids he didn't know were watching the show and also aware that he could not possibly think some of the kids in my kindergarten and grade school were of much quality, so I doubted that part. But I got the message, and it's my nature to prefer the gentle, quiet life as part of my own background and philosophy, so it wasn't lost on me. I don't much like treating every event in life like a sports contest.

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Sep 7 2012, 11:14pm)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 7 2012, 11:27pm

Post #19 of 34 (3524 views)
Shortcut
Sorry - wasn't clear! [In reply to] Can't Post

This introductory post will remain open, because we would love everyone's feedback. What we're trying to avoid is a conversation about the topics in Daniel's post, since they will probably be a duplicate of the conversations happening on the Hobbit forum.

But we definitely want opinions, comments and all feedback on this idea, so with this initial post, we'll keep the comments open. I just wanted to give a heads-up that future posts will not allow comments, but people can click on the links that Daniel has provided and discuss any and all of the items in his post.

I was too old for Mr. Rogers Cool and since I don't have children, I don't know much about him. But I ADORE the Muppets.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 7 2012, 11:27pm

Post #20 of 34 (3525 views)
Shortcut
Hwat! You know not of [In reply to] Can't Post

this most awesome of Feedback threads?

Enjoy the discourse - warning, great minds at work! Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Sep 7 2012, 11:59pm

Post #21 of 34 (3517 views)
Shortcut
ARGH! [In reply to] Can't Post

What is a feedback thread?
If this is a feedback thread, why is it different from where we was at?

I AM NOT forum savvy . . . I check in on my facebook account monthly and the only web 'community' site I frequent is this one . . .

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 8 2012, 12:39am

Post #22 of 34 (3512 views)
Shortcut
The sections of this forum [In reply to] Can't Post

The Message boards are broken into sections, each having a different focus for discussion.

To see these sections, click the Main Index button at the top of the page inside a ring. (doing that in a new window or tab will allow you to look at the Main Index while still reading this post)

Note these sections:

Welcome to TORN! - This area is basic information for the users here. The admins post the info and we can read but a regular member (non-admin) cannot post on this board. If you haven't visited this board, do so. It's got good info in it.

Main - This is for all Tolkien related discussion that does not belong on another more focused board. Discussions that are not Tolkien-related should not be posted here. Sometimes topics that might technically be eligible for another board can get posted here. Usually when it's a topic that might span both movies and books, for example, or seeks an audience wider than other boards might get. But it should be Tolkien related.

Reading Room - described as 'Critical analysis and discussion of Tolkien's literary works'. So, books by Tolkien and books about Tolkien get discussed here. I don't frequent this board but I think most discussion threads are scheduled discussions that people sign up to lead. But I think questions about the books can go on this board. But, questions about the books - especially kind of general ones - can also go on Main if you want a wider audience.

Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings - This is for discussing the LOTR movies. It was primarily a place to discuss Jackson's movies but the animated versions have also been discussed on the board and, I think (someone verify or refute) that we've discussed the radio dramas on this board.

Move Discussion: The Hobbit - same as LOTR movie...

The Arena - these are mock battles held just for fun. Who would win in a magic battle - Voldemort or Sauron?

Gaming & Collecting - This is the place to talk about games (board games or computer games) or any collectible item or merchandise.

Fan Art - any fan created artwork or creation - yours or something you saw on the net you'd like to point out to people.

Off Topic - any topic that is not Tolkien related: what you're reading, watching or listening to. Today's Google doodle. Are our online friends from some disaster affected area okay? Watch this cool cat video. Anything.

The Pollantir - conduct or participate in a poll for fun.

TORn Moots and Other Events - any meet ups or events that are taking place are publicized here, reported on here, and sometimes organized here.

Feedback - this is the place to ask a questions or give feedback about the boards or to report a post you think needs attention. Some people test new footers or avatars here. Some people ask non-board related tech questions here. You can ask about the site in general but many of the people that are responsible for the site do not visit the boards so they won't necessarily see a post there. It's better, if the topic is about the site in general, that you use the 'contact us' link at the left.

When I wanted to have a recap thread about Hobbit news on the Main board, I had to seek feedback and permission to do that because news about the Hobbit should get put on the Hobbit board, not on Main. But I had a reason for wanting it on Main. To seek permission was to seek to discuss the boards in general, so I sought that permission on the Feedback boards.

Did that help any?

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Sep 8 2012, 12:42am

Post #23 of 34 (3504 views)
Shortcut
Thank You . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

. . . I know I read that, but my ADHD must have kicked in around Fan . . . oh, look, a bunny! Crazy

Smile

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 8 2012, 12:48am

Post #24 of 34 (3503 views)
Shortcut
haha... [In reply to] Can't Post

Did you see UP?

I once likened myself to Dug. Squirrel!

I have a picture of me and gramma where I am totally doing Squirrel!

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Sep 8 2012, 12:57am

Post #25 of 34 (3496 views)
Shortcut
Love UP . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

. . . and I use SQUIRREL fairly frequently myself . . . to the consternation of my family . . . at least my friends understand.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.