Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Thursday, Dec. 13, 2012: AUJ release date for New Zealand

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Sep 5 2012, 11:51pm

Post #1 of 21 (1241 views)
Shortcut
Thursday, Dec. 13, 2012: AUJ release date for New Zealand Can't Post

After talking to three theatres here in Wellington, including The Embassy and The Roxy, and being told that our release date is Dec. 13(!!!!!), I called Roadshow Entertainment, the distributor for Warners in NZ. The Hobbit publicist, Lianda Boorett, confirmed the Dec. 13 date for NZ. Australia is Dec. 26. Sorry, neighbor. Evil Time for a pre-Christmas hop across the ditch?

Yeah!Shocked I hadn't seen this date ever. Did I miss something here?
(YEAH!!!!!)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 6 2012, 12:13am

Post #2 of 21 (449 views)
Shortcut
Woo-hoo! [In reply to] Can't Post

*Chandler dance*

Boxing Day must be a big day for movies if the Oz distributor is holding the release until then.

A friend and fellow Tolkien fan has his birthday on 12 December. He'll be stoked about the timing!

BTW have you sent this to spymaster@theonering.net? You've got a genuine scoop here.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Sep 6 2012, 12:14am)

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Sep 6 2012, 12:21am

Post #3 of 21 (417 views)
Shortcut
Yes, Ataahua, sent it to Spymaster... [In reply to] Can't Post

but didn't want to wait for you kiwis to see this. I think it was a clever bit of detective work, starting with seeing an announcement for fundraisers in The Roxy on-line newsletter, emailing them, checking the date at The Lighthouse and the The Embassy, then calling the distributor today - all the while telling myself, "It might not be true. It might not be true. But what if it is?!"

Now, let's see, what do you lot owe me?Wink

(This post was edited by Lissuin on Sep 6 2012, 12:22am)

Owain
Tol Eressea

Sep 6 2012, 1:38am

Post #4 of 21 (373 views)
Shortcut
Exciting news!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Moahunter
Rohan

Sep 6 2012, 1:46am

Post #5 of 21 (397 views)
Shortcut
And who egged you on to contact the distributors? [In reply to] Can't Post

Modesty forbids...........
Now all we need to do is to get to the very first screening, write a very detailed review....and post it on here
WITH NO SPOILER ALERTS!!!!!

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Sep 6 2012, 2:04am

Post #6 of 21 (373 views)
Shortcut
You are a wicked, wicked man, MH. [In reply to] Can't Post

There will be no posting of major spoilers such as "barrels or no barrels".Evil

And yes, it was MH who egged me on to confirm my information. "Call Warner Brothers," says he. A bit of googling and a couple of calls and "bingo" - Dec. 13.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 6 2012, 7:35am

Post #7 of 21 (329 views)
Shortcut
So... [In reply to] Can't Post

If I fly to New Zealand and watch it there, then straight away fly back to the UK, I might just catch it again Wink

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Sep 6 2012, 8:24am

Post #8 of 21 (324 views)
Shortcut
Ummm, Daniel, wouldn't it be easier [In reply to] Can't Post

just to go to Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Norway or Sweden on Dec. 12? Laugh (See Imbd release date list - with the INCORRECT New Zealand date of Dec. 14.
http://www.imdb.com/...t0903624/releaseinfo
I wonder if there are any other incorrect dates out there.)

But if you do decide to come here, just stay, silly! Four weeks - minimum. You could drive and see AUJ in 28 different towns around the North and South Islands. "How I Spent My Summer Vacation Touring Movie Theatres Down-under". Legend.

'Sound like a better plan?Wink

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 6 2012, 8:52am

Post #9 of 21 (307 views)
Shortcut
I could do that... [In reply to] Can't Post

But it's New Zealand! Shocked I'll extend my plans ... I'll fly to Norway to watch with Carne, fly down to NZ to watch it with you guys, then fly back to the UK and watch it again Wink

Ridiculous? Never!

In Reply To

"How I Spent My Summer Vacation Touring Movie Theatres Down-under".

^ This would be the most awesome idea ever!

lurtz2010
Rohan

Sep 6 2012, 9:47am

Post #10 of 21 (289 views)
Shortcut
Did you check Readings? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll most likely see it at Readings because I think the screen in cinema1 there is actually better than the Embassy but I've been wondering if Readings will have 48fps? You'd think since it's Wellington most movie theatres will have 48fps. I'll try go on friday 14th if it really is being released on the 13th, I'll probably have to take the day off for it. I remember we preordered our tickets for TTT and ROTK about a month before they came out so might have to do that again.

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Sep 6 2012, 12:23pm

Post #11 of 21 (244 views)
Shortcut
While Carne and I watch it on december 12 and write about it one day before you! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

Vocalist in the semi-progressive metal band Arctic Eclipse

BlackCountry
Rivendell

Sep 6 2012, 1:18pm

Post #12 of 21 (235 views)
Shortcut
Oh Guts!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks like I'm seeing it in the New Year then!!!! I fly back to work on X'mas Day (a travesty I know) and don't return til the 8th of January. It's pathetic that Mining operations can't cease on such Public Holidays!!!! :(

I do not want what it is not mine.... I only want what comes from within....

Ruinwen
Rivendell

Sep 6 2012, 9:12pm

Post #13 of 21 (167 views)
Shortcut
EXCITED! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is amazing news! Thankyou for posting! But what I want to know is....will that be a midnight showing? 00.01 AM Thursday morning? (In which case we have to stay up Wednesday night, etc?)

If so, then with the time difference, how far behind the Europeans will we really be?

If that's true about the Australian release date, I smell a cunning ploy by the NZ tourism board....

Ruinwen
Rivendell

Sep 6 2012, 9:18pm

Post #14 of 21 (169 views)
Shortcut
Calculated the time difference.... [In reply to] Can't Post

At 00.00AM on Thursday the 13th in NZ, it'll be 14.00PM on the 12th in Norway and Belguim. Drat. You guys still get there first....

Wouldn't be suprised if there were a few UK people sneaking into France to see it a day early!

(This post was edited by Ruinwen on Sep 6 2012, 9:20pm)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 7 2012, 12:09am

Post #15 of 21 (154 views)
Shortcut
I'd be surprised if there aren't 12.01am screenings. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit is hugely anticipated and the cinemas will want to pump as many people through the doors as possible.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Moahunter
Rohan

Sep 7 2012, 12:19am

Post #16 of 21 (152 views)
Shortcut
It has to be The Embassy for me. [In reply to] Can't Post

Saw all 3 LotR films there.

Ruinwen
Rivendell

Sep 7 2012, 12:35am

Post #17 of 21 (151 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I would think the Embassy, at least, would have one.

I'm not sure if I'll be seeing it in Wellington or Auckland, though, so I really hope they're having a midnighter in Auckland too!

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Sep 7 2012, 12:42am

Post #18 of 21 (148 views)
Shortcut
This might be my first midnight showing ever. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't want to avoid the internet, tv and radio any longer than necessary.Laugh

lurtz2010
Rohan

Sep 7 2012, 5:18am

Post #19 of 21 (138 views)
Shortcut
So did I [In reply to] Can't Post

but I went there for my second or third viewings. For FOTR in 2001 I saw it for the first time at Mid City... do you remember Mid City? small screens but good times there. Anyway would you expect PJ to make sure that every theatre has 48fps in Wellington?

paperC
Rivendell

Sep 8 2012, 10:33am

Post #20 of 21 (96 views)
Shortcut
December 12th here in Norway.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Seems strange we get it before you :/

alienorchid
Lorien

Sep 9 2012, 10:35am

Post #21 of 21 (73 views)
Shortcut
YES! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm going to buy tickets as soon as they are available!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.