Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part XXIII
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Tinne
The Shire

Nov 12 2014, 8:54am

Post #151 of 211 (881 views)
Shortcut
     Thranduil vs. Tauriel? [In reply to]  

Have you noticed in that interview:

... Even if they are elves, they have some defects. They are not perfect. They make mistakes, they are fighting among themselves and sometimes they fight their own king ...

it would explain a scene from the trailer?

mariel
Lorien

Nov 12 2014, 9:19am

Post #152 of 211 (863 views)
Shortcut
     The quote [In reply to]  

I had a little search as I'm sure I'd seen it before, but all I could find was this, [not sure what the original language is from the script, but it has been translated into English]

http://site.douban.com/...1172/note/332674619/

(PS. I hope this isn't a copyright breach as not being able to read the heading of the original article I don't know whether this is from an article in a magazine or a transcript of an interview)

hissuit

Nov 12 2014, 9:40am

Post #153 of 211 (856 views)
Shortcut
     fansub work [In reply to]  

If i remember correctly that's an interview in French, translated into English, and then translated into Chinese based on the English translation

Kerewyn
Rohan

Nov 12 2014, 9:40am

Post #154 of 211 (860 views)
Shortcut
     That's a great interview [In reply to]  

.(in spite of the occasional glitch in the translation, eg gender issues surrounding question 10)

There are some quotes from LP there that I haven't read before. Heart I particularly like his thoughts on what's behind Thranduil's 'look', as he sits on Bubba viewing the Erebor disaster:

Thranduil goes his way with his soldiers, without intervening. To me, what that look means is “You dwarf , you played with fire. You have amassed a huge treasure, phenomenal wealth, and you attracted trouble with such greed. And now what happens to you is your problem, not ours. You drew the dragon and you will all be roasted . I saw so many centuries I do know that I can do absolutely nothing to take you from there … I warned you that this would happen. But you did not hear me because you thought you were smarter than me. ”

Heh - also the 'eyebrows' bit in question 5. Laugh

"Thou speakest of thralldom. If thralldom it be, thou canst not escape it..."

Kerewyn
Rohan

Nov 12 2014, 9:46am

Post #155 of 211 (851 views)
Shortcut
     EE stills etc [In reply to]  

I am so looking forward to getting my EE this weekend at long last this weekend. The Aussie release date is tomorrow IIRC (but I won't be able to get to a store). I will probably watch the extras first, since am seeing so many great stills from it!

See the golden colouring and lighting here? Quite a contrast with the silver and white of our 'snow leopard'.

HACF - I heard it a rumour that it might be coming to Australian TV at last. (we always have to lag behind in everything! And then politicians have the audacity to bang on about download piracy... )

Ronan. LP's jawline. Heartthrob. That is all.

Kerewyn
Rohan

Nov 12 2014, 9:49am

Post #156 of 211 (857 views)
Shortcut
     Don't apologise for rambling [In reply to]  

I always get enthused when I see a long post to read. Just wish I could contribute more substance myself. Evil

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Nov 12 2014, 11:05am

Post #157 of 211 (829 views)
Shortcut
     Well, sure! [In reply to]  

No doubt at all Wink

"I'll say dark and gritty, which, with the Elvenking, translates as Hot and Sexy. Cool" - vanima ephel

I fancy myself an ME BFF (Book/Film Fan) Smile
(Aaaaand a gushy Thranduil fangurl before The Hobbit movies; still a gushy Thranduil fangurl through them. Laugh)

Heart Thranduil Appreciation
Threadcount: XXIII
I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Nov 12 2014, 11:08am

Post #158 of 211 (845 views)
Shortcut
     Ah, thanks! [In reply to]  

I remember this! It's french in origin. The English and Mandarin seems to be translations of the transcript. There's more details than the version I remember reading. Great find, mariel!Heart

"I'll say dark and gritty, which, with the Elvenking, translates as Hot and Sexy. Cool" - vanima ephel

(Aaaaand a gushy Thranduil fangurl before The Hobbit movies; still a gushy Thranduil fangurl through them. Laugh)

I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Nov 12 2014, 11:10am

Post #159 of 211 (828 views)
Shortcut
     Oh definitely, it's a first for me too that the extras are the highlight, not the EE [In reply to]  

In Reply To
I am so looking forward to getting my EE this weekend at long last this weekend. The Aussie release date is tomorrow IIRC (but I won't be able to get to a store). I will probably watch the extras first, since am seeing so many great stills from it!

Can't give enough love to the dedication of fan artists Smile

In Reply To
See the golden colouring and lighting here? Quite a contrast with the silver and white of our 'snow leopard'.

More lounging leopard, eh?

In Reply To
HACF - I heard it a rumour that it might be coming to Australian TV at last. (we always have to lag behind in everything! And then politicians have the audacity to bang on about download piracy... )

oooh! Hope it does get to you soon!

In Reply To
Ronan. LP's jawline. Heartthrob. That is all.

And blue skin! you know of what I speakLaughHeartAngelic

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Nov 12 2014, 11:13am

Post #160 of 211 (833 views)
Shortcut
     Awww [In reply to]  

Thanks for the licence to rambleLaugh I'm on a roll with my Silmmie notation so have been a little distracted to tell the truth.

Oh... *ahem*OT but you might be interested in this thread Blush

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Nov 12 2014, 11:13am

Post #161 of 211 (833 views)
Shortcut
     Hi hissuit! Welcome to the TA thread [In reply to]  

Smile

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Nov 12 2014, 11:22am

Post #162 of 211 (839 views)
Shortcut
     Thanks. Tinne! Interesting it's the French interviews that give such interesting insights! [In reply to]  

That's two for two, when combined with mariel's find. Oh La La!

Interesting bits to me:
  • Regarding my voice Leith McPherson (vocal coach and linguistics. Editor's note) helped me to locate and take an accent that is not British, but that evokes a king. [Score! I made an observation somewhere Thranduil sounded like he's sorta of prim and proper, RP-derived but not really RP.]
  • Thranduil is like a wild animal in the woods. [Leopards, anyone?]
  • This is a very interesting relationship, because she and I have a lot of scenes together. Tauriel is the head of my guard, my special forces within the Black Forest. It is a ruthless killer, someone I like. And what happens in the last film is very complicated. [Interesting. Wonder it relates to the trailer scene]
  • No, the film is just The Hobbit. It was just for my character, just for me. I enjoyed reading Tolkien. The elves are a mystery. Even after having played one of them on the screen for so long, I can not take my idea that they are different from us. They are different, as different trees are different from us. How they want things and they behave in nature is different in many respects.[Such dedication!]
  • We first put wigs and ears, and he exclaimed: "Wow, yes! It's him! ". [Wow! PJ was bowled over eh? Can you imagine the spontaneous ovary explosions when LP first appeared in full Thranduil regalia?]
  • You know, the skull of Damien Hirst? this is a skull encrusted with diamonds. I had a picture on my iPhone for the first part of the shoot. It helped me better understand the character (...) It was difficult to find the appropriate symbols for the character has a meaning for me.[Glittery ominous... that suits the movie Thranduil well, doesn't it?]
  • I do when I hear my text. This is the hardest thing ever, learn the Elvish tongue.[really wanna hear Thranduil speak more Elvish! Don't waste the effort!]
  • The last question: Just LoL!

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Nov 12 2014, 11:25am

Post #163 of 211 (832 views)
Shortcut
     Aww... LP seemed to enjoy working with Moose. Poor boy, all that work and he's not even recognisable. [In reply to]  

Evil

It helped some to cross-ref the more wonky bits with the Mandarin translations. Not a lot, but it helpedSmile

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Nov 12 2014, 11:29am

Post #164 of 211 (829 views)
Shortcut
     Countdown, brought to you by Greenwood Trail Outfitters [In reply to]  

HeartAngelic

Countdown: 36 days to The Battle of Five Armies (Dec. 17, 2014)

Thranduil in civvies: Woodland Realm casual wear brought to you by Greenwood Trail Outfitters. (“If it’s good enough for Elven Royalty, it’s more than good enough for you.”) ;-)

LOL

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Nov 12 2014, 11:34am

Post #165 of 211 (836 views)
Shortcut
     Ah! You raised this bit [In reply to]  

It's interesting but it seems to be a theme he's talking about. I do wonder if it might relate directly to the scene in the trailer, or is it a general comment that might be addressed in a different scene?

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Nov 12 2014, 11:36am

Post #166 of 211 (833 views)
Shortcut
     heheh [In reply to]  

In Reply To
I had to laugh at LP's description of his character as a grumpy old man. Not the image I have in mind exactly!

You mean this isn't grumpy old man enough? Tongue Looks curmudgeonly enough. *snerk*

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Nov 12 2014, 11:38am

Post #167 of 211 (834 views)
Shortcut
     mmm... hand appreciation [In reply to]  

=======

stn5
The Shire

Nov 12 2014, 2:09pm

Post #168 of 211 (838 views)
Shortcut
     Legolas & his Mitril shirt [In reply to]  

I just found this photo. I quest we know now how legolas wear his mitril Sly

mariel
Lorien

Nov 12 2014, 2:10pm

Post #169 of 211 (820 views)
Shortcut
     More from same artist [In reply to]  

both clicky

mariel
Lorien

Nov 12 2014, 2:19pm

Post #170 of 211 (819 views)
Shortcut
     ha [In reply to]  

Oh I reckon he can out grump anyone, but this is the sort of image I have of a grumpy old man - http://davidszondy.com/ephemeral/v_meldrew.gif

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 12 2014, 6:00pm

Post #171 of 211 (801 views)
Shortcut
     *gigantic SNERT*! [In reply to]  

Oh... *ahem*OT but you might be interested in this thread Blush

I had noticed that thread when it was on page one but never got around to clicking it. Those pics! Fili photobombing! BWAHAHA!Laugh I hope he'll at least get some good screen time in the actual movie to make up for his lack of time in the trailer.

Re your Silmmie notation: Just so you know, I've noticed your Silm thoughts on Tumblr and read them all. They're very good! Smile

Speaking of the Silm, I actually finished it last night and I'm now skimming over the tables, pronunciation guide, and index of names. Around the time when we were supposed to start the Akallabeth I was starting to feel like, "This has been great and I've enjoyed reading it, but I'm sooooo ready to finish this book!" and decided to just go on and read ahead of the schedual. I guess the reason for that feeling is that, since the trailer came out and we're now little more than a month away from BotFA, I've been wanting to read The Hobbit one more time before I see the movie and with my slow reading speed and the limited time I have for reading lately, I have to give myself enough time to get through it. I'll still be watching the read-along on Tumblr and trying to see if I can draw something for the leftover Bingo prompts though.

For relevance, I noticed there was a little reference to Thranduil near the last few pages of the final chapter. It wasn't much. Just a couple of paragraphs talking about how Sauron had started to rise again in Dol Guldur and put his shadow over Mirkwood which contained the realm of King Thranduil, and how Thranduil's people held the evil at bay for awhile. Still, it was nice to see the Silm version of some of the background stuff that PJ has included in the movies.

"There's distraction buzzing in my head,
Saying in the shadows it's easier to stay.
But I've heard rumors, of true reality.
Whispers of a well-lit way.

When the world has fallen out from under me,
I'll be found in You, still standing.
When the sky rolls up and mountains fall on their knees,
When time and space are through.
I'll be found in You."
~Shadowfeet by Brooke Fraser

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 12 2014, 6:59pm

Post #172 of 211 (791 views)
Shortcut
     Aww [In reply to]  

I hope we at least get to see Moose as himself in the BotFA EE appendices, whenever it is that it gets released next year. I hope we get to see footage of LP falling off the animatronic elk too.EvilTongue

I'll be found in You."

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 12 2014, 7:43pm

Post #173 of 211 (792 views)
Shortcut
     No marathons around here that I know of. [In reply to]  

I want all those stuff! Watching the screening dates for signs of a move up, and in hopes of a marathon.

I've been seeing lots of TORn Sibs, from many different countries talking about their local theaters having marathons of LOTR, the first two Hobbit movies, and then a BotFA showing at midnight. I'm personally not enthused by the thought of sitting in a theater, literally all day long. (Neither is my dog for that matter. He depends on me to take him outside every few hours for potty time.Tongue) Even if I was into it, movie marathons just don't seem to be a thing where I live. I mean, maybe I'm out of the loop, but I've never heard about any theater near me, much less my preferred theater doing stuff like that for any movie franchise.

I figure, I'll just wait until my aunt visits in December and then she, my parents and I can all sit down and do an at-home marathon of the two Hobbit EEs and then we'll go see BotFA on the 19th.

P.S. I was surprised how much my dad liked the elves when we went to see DOS in theaters. He isn't a Tolkien "fan" like I am and he said that he didn't realize until he saw DOS that the elves can and will kick butt when they have to. He said he thought they all just sat around looking pretty, like the elves in Rivendell, LOL, so he was really impressed with all of the elven fight scenes, especially Leggy's. With all of the elven butt-kicking that will happen in BotFA, I think he's in for a good time!Wink

I'll be found in You."

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 12 2014, 9:00pm

Post #174 of 211 (805 views)
Shortcut
     New glimpse of Thranduil in BotFA TV spot #2 [In reply to]  

It's brief but it's really good shot of him, IMO. Talk about smoulder...BlushHeartLaugh

https://twitter.com/...s/532623156494614528

I'll be found in You."

mariel
Lorien

Nov 12 2014, 9:21pm

Post #175 of 211 (791 views)
Shortcut
     A still from BotFA TV spot #2 [In reply to]  

clicky

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.