*unlocks doors* It's Fiesta Friday!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 27 2012, 4:06pm

Post #1 of 60 (2591 views)
Shortcut
*unlocks doors* It's Fiesta Friday! Can't Post

Welcome, one and all! Our barmistress, Altaira, is out in the wilds of Colorado with her dear hubby BG, celebrating his birthday! Smile (As you may recall from the Lore of the TORnStaff Members, BG is also an Admin, in fact the one who co-created these Boards with Altaira.)

So I’ve opened up the bar! I shan’t be able to stay long, but I’ve put out all your favorite libations, and some of the goodies from the Recipe thread on Main – a “Manwich” sandwich, anyone? Angelic And there’s pasties, and bowls for the mushroom soup!

So tell us: besides having fun with Founders’ Day and trying to keep up with the news on the Hobbit Movie board, what have you been up to this week, and what are your plans for the weekend?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

HappyHobbitess
Rohan

Apr 27 2012, 4:09pm

Post #2 of 60 (2424 views)
Shortcut
tough week [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Dernwyn, and co!
I’d very much like some good, earthy herbal tea. It’s been an exceptionally difficult week. Nothing that major itself has happened, but many smaller things have blown up at once, leaving me feeling disheartened and overwhelmed. It’s been everything from the plumbing failing, to big misunderstandings and miscommunications at work, to my body flipping out, to having a ridiculous schedule so I feel like I have no chance to regroup. My choir concert is this weekend, and I love the music we are singing, but I’m so spent at this point that I’d rather just crawl in bed and wait to feel better.
So, I’d appreciate prayers or good thoughts. Everything will blow over and will be just fine; it’s just a matter of getting to that point.
I'm also hoping things can calm down enough so I can check in on the Founders Day fun...

"Yes, but what about SECOND breakfast?"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 27 2012, 4:17pm

Post #3 of 60 (2412 views)
Shortcut
*gets large mug of rooibos tea* [In reply to] Can't Post

I've heard that it never rains but it pours, but it seems like you've had a deluge!

Sending soothing thoughts and prayers your way for a good evening to begin a good weekend! Evil

Just concentrate on the concert...Smile!

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"

Mar
Gondor

Apr 27 2012, 4:21pm

Post #4 of 60 (2422 views)
Shortcut
Well met! Been some time it seems. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll have green tea and a splash of vanilla almond milk please! On my way to yoga. Spring here is all over the place ~ meaning hot and sunny then showery then hail then wind. All beautiful though for sure. I've been gardening. Planted raspberry canes and Hardy kiwi ~ some veggie seedlings are up. Snow and snap peas will be flowering very soon. So many things are blooming everywhere it's constant eye candy. I've missed you all and so glad I remembered that today is Fiesta! Keep breathing all you good folks. Life is not for the faint of heart.

An ill-humored person is a prisoner at the mercy of an enemy from which it is difficult to escape.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 27 2012, 4:24pm

Post #5 of 60 (3251 views)
Shortcut
Wow! Where'd the day go!? PARTY LINKS INSIDE [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks so much for opening the doors, dernwyn! I found my brother and his wife on my doorstep when I got home about an hour ago... and just now realized what time it is! THANKS!!

And Happy Founders Fiesta Everyone!!!

I've got to get back to kit n' kin... but here are the links to this Founders Day Party Favours! I know I'm busy working out puzzles and thoughts... but the beautiful thing about TORn parties is that the fun NEVER STOPS! *waves fondly to one and all whilst grabbing a lemonade* CHEERS EVERYONE!

FOUNDERS DAY #13

TORn video
TORn – Of Times and Fellowship by One Ringer

It's Founders' Day - Learn Now the Lore of the TORn Staff Creatures! by dernwyn

TIME - April 26 Founders Day! by grammaboodawg

Happy Birthday to our the Founders and to all our Admins! by silneldor

ON TORn, a Founders Day 2012 parody tribute by Ruxendil_Thoorg.

Welcome to Founders' Day 2012! Learn now the Valaquenta of TORn... by Alassëa Eruvande.

Founder's Day: Let's cook up some Middle-earth meals! by grammaboodawg.

Guess That Avvie!!!! by Gimli'sBox.

Founder's Day - Of Times and Fellowship by One Ringer.

Lame Middle Earth Riddles by Alassëa Eruvande.

FOUNDERS DAY 2012* Parody Puzzle Fill-In-The-Blanks by Ruxendil_Thoorg.

Founder's Day - Caption Contest! by stormcrow20.

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Mar
Gondor

Apr 27 2012, 4:28pm

Post #6 of 60 (2409 views)
Shortcut
One of those weeks? [In reply to] Can't Post

I have many quotes and sayings that I look to when the world seems to be conspiring against my best efforts to stay sane and positive. One that is stuck on my mirror right now is: Gratitude, regardless of circumstance, is our freedom. I do my best to start my thoughts and sentences with " I appreciate....." It seems to help switch my perspective and then things around me shift as well.
Or just a big bottle of tequila. Just kidding.

An ill-humored person is a prisoner at the mercy of an enemy from which it is difficult to escape.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Apr 27 2012, 4:31pm

Post #7 of 60 (2420 views)
Shortcut
Grumpy day [In reply to] Can't Post

My serotonin is out of whack again, so the nightmares are back. On the one hand, it's nice that I apparently don't need the serotonin boosting drugs anymore, I just wish my brain could find a better way to let me know about it. Crazy

I'm headed to Kansas City this weekend for a bachelorette party. Spa day, drinks and dancing so it should be fun.

In other good news, I've officially lost 50 pounds now. So here's a picture of a 50-pound baby rhinoceros to celebrate!

Now if only I can avoid the food truck festival happening outside of the hotel this weekend, all should be good.

How will you get to the Lonely Mountain?
Help TORn log enough miles to get us to Smaug's home by Dec. 2013
Walk to Rivendell - Thursdays on Main

My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Mar
Gondor

Apr 27 2012, 4:34pm

Post #8 of 60 (2402 views)
Shortcut
That's funny! [In reply to] Can't Post

...when you said you found them on your doorstep...I'm sure it's just my twisted imagination but my visual made me chuckle.....Anyway ~ nice to see you gramma. I had no idea it was Founders Day! How lucky am I to be here! I love serendipity. Thanks for all you've done and do for the boards.

sherlock
Gondor

Apr 27 2012, 4:35pm

Post #9 of 60 (2400 views)
Shortcut
Sending good thoughts [In reply to] Can't Post

to HappyHobbitess! I've had a week like that, too. Let's hope the weekend puts an end to it.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Post #10 of 60 (2405 views)
Shortcut
Sounds lovely in your area! [In reply to] Can't Post

*locates vanilla almond milk* Hardy kiwi? I'd not heard of that one - do they grow to normal size?

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Post #11 of 60 (2413 views)
Shortcut
Hey dernwyn! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll have a Spring Usual, please-- thanks, and I hope you have a great weekend! :)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Eventides' Website: ListenUpReviews.com - Rockin' Choices In Entertainment!
"I stepped out of my body to let God slide in; although I'm still dressed in flesh that I spiritually died in. Alive in Christ a new creation started breathin', Life exists and through this came completion. ... I'm not that person anymore (more!)! That's what blood was shed for! No longer a failure, livin' life more abundantly, therefore you'll never see me livin' less than victory."
John Reuben.

"Desperation, needing You; every last breath I scream for You. Shatter me into a million pieces, make me new. ... Break me, mold me, make me what You want me to be; I am Yours, for You to use, so take and replace me with You."
Family Force 5.

"Under a light in Bethlehem, I was sifting through the sand; the saline burned my eyes, I was looking for Your hand. I gave up on myself, and left my pride disarmed; I cried out 'I'm alone!' and found myself in Your arms. 'Rest in Me, oh, My love; I have loved you before the world began. Rest in Me, oh, My love; you'll never wander too far to reach My hand.'"
Showbread.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 27 2012, 4:40pm

Post #12 of 60 (2391 views)
Shortcut
Wow, gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for putting all these links together! Cool

And today you're imitating Bilbo, with company on the doorstep! Laugh Have a great time with them, and watch out for any Wizards in their wake!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 27 2012, 4:43pm

Post #13 of 60 (2402 views)
Shortcut
Now that is a lot of weight! [In reply to] Can't Post

Congrats on the loss - and be good at the party! Wink

My eldest once had a couple of sessions with a psychologist for things like nightmares, and the therapy - which included tapes to listen to while drifting off to sleep - seemed to help. But I don't know if that kind of thing would be of any avail to you! Evil

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 27 2012, 4:45pm

Post #14 of 60 (2399 views)
Shortcut
*gets out miruvor* [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey Evey! You have a great weekend, too - anything musical going on? Smile

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 27 2012, 4:51pm

Post #15 of 60 (2381 views)
Shortcut
***Puts out "Self-Serve" sign*** Have a great weekend, everyone! :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Mar
Gondor

Apr 27 2012, 4:51pm

Post #16 of 60 (2406 views)
Shortcut
Let me 'spain' it to ya~ [In reply to] Can't Post

Hardy kiwi (Actinidia arguta) produces smaller (will ripen in shorter growing seasons) non-fuzzy fruit that needs no peeling. It can take temps well below freezing. Needs a male to pollinate (*giggles* I mean a male kiwi plant) ~ the female produces the fruit of course. Will train the female along my fence top rather like a horizontal grape vine. The male I will prune more like a bush, as this will save me trellising work. So there you have it! Good to see you! Have really missed the boards.

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 27 2012, 4:56pm

Post #17 of 60 (2396 views)
Shortcut
What a week! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well hasn't it been a fun filled week. All the information regarding a 10 minute clip, followed closely by Founders Day. I haven't been able to keep up with it all. I can only imagine what it will be like in 8 months time!

Hope everyone has a great weekend. Enjoy, relax and eat Wink

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Apr 27 2012, 5:02pm

Post #18 of 60 (2381 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

And not this weekend :) -- but I'm really looking forward to the festivals this year. (Fantastic lineups at two of them-- Lifest and Lifelight-- and, even better yet, the latter one is free! :D )

Eventides' Website: ListenUpReviews.com - Rockin' Choices In Entertainment!
"I stepped out of my body to let God slide in; although I'm still dressed in flesh that I spiritually died in. Alive in Christ a new creation started breathin', Life exists and through this came completion. ... I'm not that person anymore (more!)! That's what blood was shed for! No longer a failure, livin' life more abundantly, therefore you'll never see me livin' less than victory."
John Reuben.

"Desperation, needing You; every last breath I scream for You. Shatter me into a million pieces, make me new. ... Break me, mold me, make me what You want me to be; I am Yours, for You to use, so take and replace me with You."
Family Force 5.

"Under a light in Bethlehem, I was sifting through the sand; the saline burned my eyes, I was looking for Your hand. I gave up on myself, and left my pride disarmed; I cried out 'I'm alone!' and found myself in Your arms. 'Rest in Me, oh, My love; I have loved you before the world began. Rest in Me, oh, My love; you'll never wander too far to reach My hand.'"
Showbread.

(This post was edited by Eventides on Apr 27 2012, 5:05pm)

sherlock
Gondor

Apr 27 2012, 5:09pm

Post #19 of 60 (2403 views)
Shortcut
I need ideas [In reply to] Can't Post

for what to get my dad for his birthday. My sister got him some DVDs and he likes to read mysteries and historical fiction so if anyone has any recommendations I'd appreciate it. I am also trying to think of a good TV series he might enjoy.

I will probably be gardening a good part of the weekend. Guess I'll help myself to some wine. Have a great weekend all!

Annael
Immortal

Apr 27 2012, 5:24pm

Post #20 of 60 (2371 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations! [In reply to] Can't Post

That is great!

My Weight Watchers leader tells us when we've lost 20 pounds to go to the supermarket and pick up a turkey and lug it around for a while. Can't imagine lugging around a baby rhinoceros!

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Annael
Immortal

Apr 27 2012, 5:27pm

Post #21 of 60 (2387 views)
Shortcut
has he discovered the Aubrey/Maturin series? [In reply to] Can't Post

Historical naval fiction. Master & Commander is the first, by Patrick O'Brien. My dad ate those up like candy.

Or you might look here.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

sherlock
Gondor

Apr 27 2012, 6:04pm

Post #22 of 60 (2380 views)
Shortcut
Oh thanks, [In reply to] Can't Post

he's read all of Bernard Cornwell and we are watching the Sharpe DVDs together right now but I'm not sure about Patrick O'Brien. Will have to think of a sneaky way to ask. Of course, it doesn't help that I've put this off to the last minute, as usual. His birthday is Sunday.

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 27 2012, 6:57pm

Post #23 of 60 (2379 views)
Shortcut
not sure how old he is or what his interest range is [In reply to] Can't Post

but when looking at user comments/reviews about Band of Brothers DVDs, a lot of people said they got them for their fathers.

My Dad was in WWII. I'm not sure what he would have thought about the series but I think they did a really good job with the subject and there's a good amount of extra info - not on the making of ... but on the historical events.

My reaction: it was hard to watch sometimes. But I thought it was one of the most impactful shows I've ever seen. But I have an interest in how war changes or influences people and WWII was my Dad's war. So that skewed my interest toward it, I'm sure.

Caveat... the closed caption issue seems to be a bit dodgy. The DVDs I rented from Netflix did not have subtitles but we watched them on the living room DVD player. The DVD player in our bedroom has closed captions and subtitles and they seem to be two different things for some DVD sets. Leverage DVDs will not display subtitles downstairs but will display closed captions upstairs. And it seems like there the captioning issue for Band of Brothers changed over time or by location (country).

So, if your Dad is at all hard of hearing (the 'sounds of war' impacted our ability to hear dialog), the issue of whether there is closed captions/subtitles or not may be important.

LOTR soundtrack website
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Apr 27 2012, 8:44pm

Post #24 of 60 (2372 views)
Shortcut
A very busy week *nods* [In reply to] Can't Post

Hope everyone has fun! Laugh

......"Since the first time I met you,
..I couldn't seem to forget you.
.......And lately I seem to find,
..That you're always on my mind.
.......Whenever I see you smile,
..It makes my life so very worthwhile.
......And ever since the very start,
.....You have always been there in my heart.
..Then I heard that you felt the same way,
......And those words were so easy to say."

kiwifan
Rohan

Apr 27 2012, 10:27pm

Post #25 of 60 (2380 views)
Shortcut
How about 'Master and Commander' the DVD [In reply to] Can't Post

for this birthday present, and if he likes it, he can read all the novels (there are twenty of them, and it absolutely helps reading them in chronological order). I devoured these, just as I loved the Hornblower series. You'd think a female landlubber like me wouldn't go for these nautical tales but I really, really enjoy them, even though I still mix up the sails and ropes and such. The author of the Hornblower series, C.S. Forester, also wrote 'The African Queen' and a couple of non-nautical historical novels (check wikipedia), two of which are set in the Peninsular War like the Sharpe novels, they're called 'Death to the French' (in the US 'Rifleman Dodd', according to wikipedia) and 'The Gun'. Hope this helps?

'Goodness gracious, you really are a messie!' 'Oh no, I'm not, these are all just mathoms...'

(This post was edited by kiwifan on Apr 27 2012, 10:33pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.