Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
TIME - April 26 Founders Day!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 26 2012, 9:17am

Views: 1105
Shortcut
TIME - April 26 Founders Day! Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

April 26, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Wednesday. The unexpected party.
(from Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)
..."Bilbo rushed along the passage, very angry, and altogether bewildered and bewuthered—this was the most awkward Wednesday he ever remembered. He pulled open the door with a jerk, and they all fell in, one on top of the other. More dwarves, four more! And there was Gandalf behind, leaning on his staff and laughing. He had made quite a dent on the beautiful door... ...[and] knocked out the secret mark that he had put there the morning before.
..."Carefully! Carefully!" he said. "It is not like you, Bilbo, to keep friends waiting on the mat, and then open the door like a pop-gun! Let me introduce Bifur, Bofur, Bombur, and especially Thorin!'
...'At your service!" said Bifur, Bofur, and Bombur standing in a row. Then they hung up two yellow hoods and a pale green one; and also a sky-blue one with a long silver tassel. This last belonged to Thorin, an enormously important dwarf, in fact no other than the great Thorin Oakenshield himself, who was not at all pleased at falling flat on Bilbo's mat with Bifur, Bofur, and Bombur on top of him....

...'...Now we are all here!" said Gandalf, looking at the row of thirteen hoods—the best detachable party hoods—and his own hat hanging on the pegs. "Quite a merry gathering! I hope there is something left for the late-goers to eat and drink! What's that? Tea! No thank you! A little red wine, I think, for me...."
......Mr. Baggins... ...was feeling positively flummoxed, and was beginning to wonder whether a most wretched adventure had not come right into his house. By the time he had got all the bottles and dishes and knives and forks and glasses and plates and spoons and things piled up on big trays, he was getting very hot, and red in the face, and annoyed...."

..."...Poor Bilbo couldn't bear it any longer. At may never return he began to feel a shriek coming up inside, and very soon it burst out like the whistle of an engine coming out of a tunnel. All the dwarves sprang up knocking over the table... ...the poor little hobbit could be seen kneeling on the hearth-rug, shaking like a jelly that was melting. Then he fell flat on the floor, and kept on calling out "struck by lightning, struck by lightning...!"

..."...Excitable little fellow," said Gandalf, as they sat down again. "Gets funny queer fits, but he is one of the best, one of the best—as fierce as a dragon in a pinch."
...If you have ever seen a dragon in a pinch, you will realize that this was only poetical exaggeration applied to any hobbit... ...however, Bullroar's gentler descendant was reviving in the drawing-room. After a while and a drink he crept nervously to the door of the parlour...."

... "...Pardon me," [Bilbo] said, 'if I have overheard words that you were saying. I don't pretend to understand what you are talking about, or your reference to burglars, but I think I am right in believing... ...that you think I am no good. I will show you. I have no signs on my door..."

..."...I assure you there is a mark on this door [said Gloin] —the usual one in the trade, or used to be. Burglar wants a good job, plenty of Excitement and reasonable Reward, that's how it is usually read. You can say Expert Treasure-hunter instead of Burglar if you like.... ...Gandalf told us that there was a man of the sort in these parts looking for a Job at once...."
..."...Of course there is a mark," said Gandalf. "I put it there myself. For very good reasons. You asked me to find the fourteenth man for your expedition, and I chose Mr. Baggins. Just let any one say I chose the wrong man or the wrong house, and you can stop at thirteen and have all the bad luck you like, or go back to digging coal.""

April 26, 1999
1. TheOneRing.net officially draws its first breath.
...On this day, TORn is officially registered and begins exclusive reporting on Peter Jackson's films and related topics. It also spawns multiple Discussion Boards where all things Tolkien and Jackson are discussed.

2. A J.R.R. Tolkien adaptation in the works.
...TORn and its community anticipates and speculates on the progress being made on the adaptation and casting of The Lord of the Rings; The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, and The Return of the King being filmed simultaneously.

April 26, 2009
1. TheOneRing.net celebrates its 10-year Anniversary.
...On this auspicious Anniversary, TORn Discussion Board Members begin an annual Founders Day celebration honouring its Founders, Admins, and fellow-posters.
TORn 10th Anniversary Bash! by Altaira

April 26, 2010
1. TheOneRing.net members unveil the Mathom-house.
...After TORn's 10th Anniversary celebration, one of the Discussion Board Members had an idea to record the history of the website and share it through the TORn Mathom-house. Now in its infancy, it is a work in progress. With the collaboration and contributions of the TORn Discussion Board Members, this work is expected to expand and show the incredible journey of this premier fan site.

2. A J.R.R. Tolkien adaptation in the works.
...TORn and its community anticipates and speculates on the progress being made on the adaptation and casting of The Hobbit parts 1 (An Unexpected Journey) and 2 (There and Back Again).

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Subject User Time
TIME - April 26 Founders Day! grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Apr 26 2012, 9:17am
    Happy Day! Modtheow Send a private message to Modtheow Apr 26 2012, 11:59pm
    As fierce as a dragon in a pinch dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Apr 27 2012, 1:48am
    TIME - April 27 grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Apr 27 2012, 9:17am
        TIME - April 28 grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Apr 28 2012, 10:00am
            TIME - April 29 grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Apr 29 2012, 10:32am
                TIME - April 30 grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Apr 30 2012, 9:12am
                    TIME - May 1 grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg May 1 2012, 9:19am
                        I wonder what dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn May 2 2012, 12:54am
                            *snigger* grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg May 2 2012, 9:24am
                        TIME - May 2 grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg May 2 2012, 9:18am
                            They did it a-purpose, of course! dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn May 2 2012, 10:26am
                                How could they not love the hobbit? grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg May 3 2012, 2:15am
                            TIME - May 3 grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg May 3 2012, 10:08am
            "...and he wanted to savour dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Apr 29 2012, 6:36pm
                He knew... grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg May 1 2012, 9:28am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.