Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Happy Birthday to our the Founders and to all our Admins!

silneldor
Half-elven

Apr 26 2012, 11:16am

Post #1 of 21 (359 views)
Shortcut
Happy Birthday to our the Founders and to all our Admins! Can't Post

It is amazing how from a tiny seed, a tree grows to immense size and stature with beauty that stirs the soul. And it is also amazing how a passing idea, that was acted upon serendipitously, can create a happening far beyond personal expectations. We know how Tolkien’s writing grew in great depth, scope and emotion. And we can see how Xoanon with his merry band came to create a website to spread the word about a lotr’s movie. It grew and took off with abandon, blossoming and flourishing into a beautiful living mallorn, where a host of wonderful souls come to dwell. It is a place that nurtures growth and knowledge and fellowship.

Personally, TORn has grown to mean a lot to me as well in so many ways as I have mentioned many times in the past. Mention can only again be made to Xoanon/Michael, Tehanu/Erica, Corvar/William and Calisuri/Chris of my deepest gratitude.

But perhaps not:). As it stands presently due to a wonderful opportunity with serendipity as well with regards to timing, there seemed to be a bit of a happening of my own as it were. A simple idea it was, nothing really elaborate, just an exercise in carpentry. I was to build an arbor for our yard. I went to the web to gather an idea or plan on which to start. I settled on one as shown here.

It seemed quite nice enough but then it was discovered i could not relate to it completely, and could not really follow what was settled upon. It was just not the ‘path with heart’ that was needed. Always having related to lotr’s themes on the house or yard in some way, what was needed here was, to follow suit in this fashion as well. Suddenly feeling relieved it was to sit down with paper and pencil with the fotr’s extended CD to open the ‘proper channel’.

Knowing truly my love of curved graceful lines in all of nature, with so much of Middle-earth adorned with such as well… an idea came and lead to another and another and a cascade of things happened that took on a life of its own. A seemingly recurring theme it appears. After several weeks and hours lost on count, this is what occurred in the end.

A Tolkien spirit inertia anomaly I seem to want to call it. Science says a body in motion tends to stay in motion. That is until gravity has its say. But inertia of Tolkien’s spirit is not subject to gravity. So it looks like that spirit shall ride to the ends of the world and to the end of the world. It is a happy thoughtSmile.

And finally having told this story, to have one understand another little journey (in the end inspired by Tolkien and TORn) I can now express my wish to all, which is to consecrate* this project to our founders as a symbol of love, fellowship and thanks. I cannot see it any other way. As you see, there at the top, this project was finished by putting four stars on the front peak which represents our founders. That 5th star, well, that is for our admins:). I wish to say with humility, borrowing a few beautiful words, in regard to all their days, “may they be blessed”.

And again, of course, all cannot be concluded without flowers for our Tehanu.

*"to make (something) an object of honor or veneration; hallow: a custom consecrated by time."

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo

"The original sin is to limit the Is. Don't" - Richard Bach

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Apr 26 2012, 11:29am

Post #2 of 21 (218 views)
Shortcut
Oh my - that is amazing! [In reply to] Can't Post

And how did you do those White Trees on the side? Is the white just painted on a flat green, or (as it looks) is the tree actually a different height than the green background and then painted?

That's just beautiful, sil, thanks for sharing.

Dave

How will you get to the Lonely Mountain?

Help TORn log enough miles to get us to Smaug's home by Dec. 2013: Walk to Rivendell - Thursdays on Main (image courtesy of Arwen's daughter)

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 26 2012, 1:36pm

Post #3 of 21 (192 views)
Shortcut
Happy Founders Day [In reply to] Can't Post

It's great to be part of such a fantastic online community Smile

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Apr 26 2012, 1:58pm

Post #4 of 21 (194 views)
Shortcut
That is gorgeous! [In reply to] Can't Post

Can you post a close up of the tree and tell how it was made? It is really impressive! And it looks so much better than your original inspiration. You have made it your own.

And suddenly the Tornadoes saw afar off a greenlight, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame;
and they knew that this was no vision only, but that PJ had made a new thing: The Hobbit, the Film that Is.

eralkfang
Lorien

Apr 26 2012, 2:02pm

Post #5 of 21 (191 views)
Shortcut
That is truly beautiful! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for sharing this!

Gimli'sBox
Gondor

Apr 26 2012, 3:37pm

Post #6 of 21 (186 views)
Shortcut
That is AWESOME sil!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's so cool and pretty! We'll have to have you make on for our vampire garden.CoolTongue

How long did it take you to make that?

Some who have read the book, or at any rate have reviewed it, have found it boring, absurd, or contemptible; and I have no cause to complain, since I have similar opinions of their works, or of the kinds of writing they evidently prefer.

Good becomes great. Bad becomes worse.  This is why you were chosen.  Because a strong man who has known power all his life may lose respect for that power.  But a weak man knows the value of strength and knows compassion. 

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Apr 26 2012, 4:32pm

Post #7 of 21 (193 views)
Shortcut
There's only one thing wrong with that... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not in my yard! =)

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Wraith Buster
Gondor

Apr 26 2012, 7:01pm

Post #8 of 21 (173 views)
Shortcut
Amazing work! [In reply to] Can't Post

Everything looks so great! Too bad my yard doesn't look like that. Sly
I think you have an awesome business opportunity for selling stuff like that. You would have at least one buyer - me! Cool

Pedich Edhellen? Lau? Hria cuilë.

End of line.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 26 2012, 7:33pm

Post #9 of 21 (174 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I agree! [In reply to] Can't Post

That is lovely, Sil! You did a beautiful job. And also thanks for the gracious words. You are one of the many people who make this place an enduring delight. Smile

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 26 2012, 8:16pm

Post #10 of 21 (184 views)
Shortcut
I liked the stars the best [In reply to] Can't Post

well done. It's just beautiful.

LOTR soundtrack website
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 26 2012, 9:59pm

Post #11 of 21 (165 views)
Shortcut
That is simply gorgeous! [In reply to] Can't Post

My dear friend, you have outdone yourself!

I know, I've seen some of the pieces separately, and the Trees alone are beautiful, but the combined effect is stunning! This is a most excellent tribute, and all the labour and talent has come straight from your heart. Thank you! Heart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

weaver
Half-elven

Apr 26 2012, 11:22pm

Post #12 of 21 (155 views)
Shortcut
what a great Founders Day tribute! [In reply to] Can't Post

Looking at your work of art there makes me feel like I wandered into Lothlorien -- or the Rivendell Art Gallery!

And what a thoughtful thing to do to commemorate TORn's Founders and the spirit of this place in such a beautiful and meaningful way.

You are a class act, Sil. If there are people with elven blood around, you are surely one of them. THANK YOU!

Weaver

Modtheow
Lorien

Apr 26 2012, 11:49pm

Post #13 of 21 (149 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful! I want one! // [In reply to] Can't Post

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 27 2012, 12:27am

Post #14 of 21 (177 views)
Shortcut
That's lovely, sil! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for sharing, and for being here Heart

silneldor
Half-elven

Apr 27 2012, 4:24am

Post #15 of 21 (158 views)
Shortcut
To reserve space on Main [In reply to] Can't Post

i'd like to answer all your questions here and i'd also like to, with a grateful heart thank you all for your warm and kind thoughts. Each one of you i consider family.

I would like again to say i am here but by the grace of Tolkien, of our Founders, and the love of all which nurtured my creativity.

Well, Notta/Dave, firstly i did try to cut out each individual branch but the integrity of the plywood (needed to have a wood medium with the grains perpendicular for strength against splitting) still could not hold up to the stresses of sawing. So i cut in around the main branches to create a full foliage look which really turn out for the better later as you will see.

You are right, it is one plane. It may appear otherwise either from the wide difference between the white and forest green or because of the largely raised stars above it.

Alessea i can do that. Here is a close up i took awhile ago. From the description of the Telperion i could, after having to make it in full foliage, add the white blossoms and also high-lights of the silver leaf bottoms subject to a breeze, such as the same that can be seen from a silver maple.

As far as making it, i had to take an image of the tree from a sheet of copy paper , cut it out using jeweler's glasses, and then suspending it in front of a tiny bulb so an image would be set on the wall. Then it would be to set poster board in place and trace the outline. And then yet again to carefully cut out with an exacto knife the image, but not before touching up by free-hand mostly the branch tips. Then i would lay the large body of the cutout on the plywood to trace. I actually primed lightly the wood after the tracing. I should have before hand, but all worked out ok anyway. Then it was a matter of very carefully painting both colors on the traced lines using again the jeweler's glasses (that flip down from the head strap it is attached to, especially at this age you understand lol).

GB i lost track how long it took. I know weeks were involved. And the hours (clueless as to the number) were sandwiched in with the myriad of other activities each day.

Eowyn i'd love to have you get a copy. If only i had a teleporter with a copier abilityLaugh. It would definitely make it look good in YOUR garden:).

Magpie the stars were cut out of thicker plywood with a band saw and much repair with glue and wood putty had to be done to fix the little points perfectly before priming and painting.

Weaver, after i finished this project i had this feeling that it belonged in Eowyn's and Faramir's garden in Ithilien:). I can just see them sitting there though it enjoying the quiet peace.

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo

"The original sin is to limit the Is. Don't" - Richard Bach

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 27 2012, 2:26pm

Post #16 of 21 (162 views)
Shortcut
*mods up* Oh my... sil! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is stunning! I'm so in awe. This is truely inspired. Wow......... *runs to look again*

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

HappyHobbitess
Rohan

Apr 27 2012, 5:45pm

Post #17 of 21 (146 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, Sil! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for sharing your beautiful craftsmanship with us, Sil! What an awesome tribute to the founders and admins!

"Yes, but what about SECOND breakfast?"

Patty
Immortal

Apr 28 2012, 1:35am

Post #18 of 21 (142 views)
Shortcut
A huge thank you to all the founders and administrators, for developing and monitoring [In reply to] Can't Post

my playground of many years.Heart

Permanent address: Into the West

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 28 2012, 2:06am

Post #19 of 21 (143 views)
Shortcut
Gorgeous, sil! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's nice to see the finished product. It came out beautifully!! Thanks for sharing it on such a special day. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Apr 28 2012, 3:14pm

Post #20 of 21 (138 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the close up, sil! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was convinced it was 3-D! I was also convinced you had a very expensive computer aided laser-cutting gizmo! Very well done, indeed!

And suddenly the Tornadoes saw afar off a greenlight, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame;
and they knew that this was no vision only, but that PJ had made a new thing: The Hobbit, the Film that Is.

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Apr 28 2012, 4:15pm

Post #21 of 21 (174 views)
Shortcut
Happy B'day good founders+admins of TORn, I am in your debt, for introducing me into this marvellous fandom, [In reply to] Can't Post

I especially thank you for having Barliman's chat, as I have met great people there, and it's -virtually- become my second home of late!

Happy Birthday once again!

CoolHeartAngelic

TORn ftw :D

The Lord of the Hams:

There is only one lord of the ham...and he does not share ham

If this is indeed the ham of the council, Hamdor will fry it done.

This is no rabble of mindless porks, these are Hamak-Hai: their steak is thick, and their bacon broad

(courtesy of moreham and HamTheEast)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.