Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Welcome to Founders' Day 2012! Learn now the Valaquenta of TORn...

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Apr 26 2012, 1:48pm

Post #1 of 9 (331 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to Founders' Day 2012! Learn now the Valaquenta of TORn... Can't Post

Back in 2009 during the planning for the tenth anniversary of TORn, I thought it would be good to have something about the origins of TORn and it's founders. What I came up with was based on Tolkien's Valaquenta. (Okay, basically I lifted the whole thing and inserted TORn-specific words! Wink) I believe it was Kelvahrin and silneldor (speak up if I got it wrong) who thought it would be cool if Daniel Reeve could write the Valaquenta of TORn in a special font.

Yes. That Daniel Reeve. Gracious and talented that he is, he agreed to do it.

Here it is on the Home Page from that day.

And suddenly the Tornadoes saw afar off a greenlight, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame;
and they knew that this was no vision only, but that PJ had made a new thing: The Hobbit, the Film that Is.

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 26 2012, 1:51pm

Post #2 of 9 (148 views)
Shortcut
Now that is just genious!!! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Gimli'sBox
Gondor

Apr 26 2012, 3:45pm

Post #3 of 9 (149 views)
Shortcut
O. Mi. Gosh! Brilliant. That is just brilliant. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you sooooo much for sharing that. Lollollollollollollollol. I LOVED it.Laugh

Some who have read the book, or at any rate have reviewed it, have found it boring, absurd, or contemptible; and I have no cause to complain, since I have similar opinions of their works, or of the kinds of writing they evidently prefer.

Good becomes great. Bad becomes worse.  This is why you were chosen.  Because a strong man who has known power all his life may lose respect for that power.  But a weak man knows the value of strength and knows compassion. 

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 26 2012, 4:05pm

Post #4 of 9 (156 views)
Shortcut
It is still magnificent! [In reply to] Can't Post

Like those precious christmas ornaments you take out of the box once a year. Each time you read it, it is still as glorious as the first time.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 26 2012, 10:09pm

Post #5 of 9 (137 views)
Shortcut
That is a treasure. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's the best tribute of all to the Founders! Smile

Heart to you (and the awesome Daniel Reeve)!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

silneldor
Half-elven

Apr 26 2012, 11:01pm

Post #6 of 9 (133 views)
Shortcut
You cut a righteous groove [In reply to] Can't Post

with this one AESmile A perfection for the situation, and one for the annals. Actually, this should be engraved into the cornerstone of this house:).

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo

"The original sin is to limit the Is. Don't" - Richard Bach

weaver
Half-elven

Apr 26 2012, 11:31pm

Post #7 of 9 (129 views)
Shortcut
Aw, it does my heart good to see this again... [In reply to] Can't Post

If ever there was an award for the best dressed rip-off of Tolkien, you would win hands down for this entry! Ha!

Thanks for reposting it and for doing it in the first place -- and it sure is nice to give the Founding Four their due again, isn't it?

Happy Founders Day to our Founders and the whole lot of us!

Weaver

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 27 2012, 2:21pm

Post #8 of 9 (124 views)
Shortcut
This has always [In reply to] Can't Post

really shined as a treasure of TORn. So brilliant and very special. Wonderful!!!

Thank you!

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Apr 28 2012, 3:08pm

Post #9 of 9 (169 views)
Shortcut
Thanks folks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sometimes I still can't believe Daniel agreed to do that! What a ride that first Founders' Day was!

And suddenly the Tornadoes saw afar off a greenlight, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame;
and they knew that this was no vision only, but that PJ had made a new thing: The Hobbit, the Film that Is.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.