Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
*Founder's Day - Caption Contest!

stormcrow20
Gondor

Apr 27 2012, 1:27am

Post #1 of 23 (475 views)
Shortcut
*Founder's Day - Caption Contest! Can't Post

Throughout the history of TORn, there have been many events and happenings of special magnificence. But along the way, there have been a few interesting moments as well.

Behold! Before the Pink Swimsuit of Silneldor, before the Great Femine of 2008....there was Calisurwen.

Sorry, Calisuri! Go easy on him, guys! Angelic

(This post was edited by stormcrow20 on Apr 27 2012, 1:32am)

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 27 2012, 1:43am

Post #2 of 23 (187 views)
Shortcut
Billy's blind date for the occasion wasn't quite what he expected....// [In reply to] Can't Post

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 27 2012, 1:50am

Post #3 of 23 (199 views)
Shortcut
Liv had ignored Billy's warning against eating too many of those "lembas"... // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

silneldor
Half-elven

Apr 27 2012, 2:10am

Post #4 of 23 (188 views)
Shortcut
I thinks i am in love. [In reply to] Can't Post

HeartLaugh

Chris, i am sorry i missed you at the TORn Moot in NYC last fall. I saw you in the background of one of greendragon's pictures of the event. It would have been great to meet you. I had a commitment to be at my son's cross-country invitational.

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo

"The original sin is to limit the Is. Don't" - Richard Bach

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 27 2012, 2:38am

Post #5 of 23 (207 views)
Shortcut
The three stages of forced perspective: [In reply to] Can't Post

Minature, regulature and bigature.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 27 2012, 2:41am

Post #6 of 23 (178 views)
Shortcut
"Don't talk to it, Pippin. Don't encourage it. Heck, don't even *look* at it." / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 27 2012, 2:54am

Post #7 of 23 (182 views)
Shortcut
"It was often said (in other families) that long ago one of the Took ancestors must have taken a fairy wife." / [In reply to] Can't Post

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 27 2012, 2:58am

Post #8 of 23 (179 views)
Shortcut
Bwahaha!!! *mods up* // [In reply to] Can't Post

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Apr 27 2012, 3:30am

Post #9 of 23 (174 views)
Shortcut
Ditto! // [In reply to] Can't Post

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Apr 27 2012, 3:43am

Post #10 of 23 (174 views)
Shortcut
Little known fact: Arwen's ancestry included a sturdy farm girl or two...// [In reply to] Can't Post

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - getting thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit from Bag End to the Lonely Mountain

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 27 2012, 4:00am

Post #11 of 23 (171 views)
Shortcut
LOTR at 48 fps. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ruinwen
Rivendell

Apr 27 2012, 4:19am

Post #12 of 23 (177 views)
Shortcut
Brilliant [In reply to] Can't Post

Mods up to you too, sir. Laugh Sniggering in the workplace.

weaver
Half-elven

Apr 27 2012, 4:30am

Post #13 of 23 (172 views)
Shortcut
"Is that an action figure in your hand or are you just happy to see me?""// [In reply to] Can't Post

Weaver

silneldor
Half-elven

Apr 27 2012, 4:30am

Post #14 of 23 (201 views)
Shortcut
They are patiently waiting for.... [In reply to] Can't Post

gammaboodawg grammaboodawg with her radiating cosmic energy to fiil the place

WinkSmileHeart

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo

"The original sin is to limit the Is. Don't" - Richard Bach

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 27 2012, 6:21am

Post #15 of 23 (164 views)
Shortcut
"With a sigh you turn away, with a deepening heart no more words to say..." // [In reply to] Can't Post

The Plan 9 Interview... in celebration of the 10th anniversary of the release of The Fellowship of the Ring.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 27 2012, 9:31am

Post #16 of 23 (183 views)
Shortcut
Even the brilliance of Pippin and his alter-ego could not ply the charms of the Elven Princess. [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

titanium_hobbit
Rohan

Apr 27 2012, 11:22am

Post #17 of 23 (166 views)
Shortcut
snort! [In reply to] Can't Post

laugh to the point of having to gasp for breath!

Hobbit firster, Book firster.

Have you explored all of TORN's forums?

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Apr 27 2012, 11:47am

Post #18 of 23 (155 views)
Shortcut
*Snert!* // [In reply to] Can't Post

How will you get to the Lonely Mountain?

Help TORn log enough miles to get us to Smaug's home by Dec. 2013: Walk to Rivendell - Thursdays on Main (image courtesy of Arwen's daughter)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 27 2012, 5:24pm

Post #19 of 23 (159 views)
Shortcut
Bomby's Laugh... [In reply to] Can't Post

woke the
BARROW-WRIGHTS

shame on you for
being so wonderful

Bomby

Rostron2
Gondor

Apr 27 2012, 11:14pm

Post #20 of 23 (163 views)
Shortcut
This is Arwen... [In reply to] Can't Post

After the life of the Eldar has left...

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 28 2012, 2:10am

Post #21 of 23 (149 views)
Shortcut
Brilliant, stormcrow! [In reply to] Can't Post

Okay, so that wasn't a caption. But it's still brilliant! Laugh

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Apr 28 2012, 2:48am

Post #22 of 23 (135 views)
Shortcut
Right.... just keep smiling :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Crazy

The Lord of the Hams:

There is only one lord of the ham...and he does not share ham

If this is indeed the ham of the council, Hamdor will fry it done.

This is no rabble of mindless porks, these are Hamak-Hai: their steak is thick, and their bacon broad

(courtesy of moreham and HamTheEast)

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Apr 28 2012, 3:32am

Post #23 of 23 (316 views)
Shortcut
In Rivendell, Pippen found that "beer goggles" have an unexpectedly different effect// [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.