Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: TORn Moots & Other Events:
Full program details ...

visualweasel
Rohan

Apr 2 2009, 2:56pm

Views: 249
Shortcut
Full program details ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've posted the full schedule for the conference at my blog, here. I've also got the dates, theme, and keynote speaker for next year's conference up. Just for your ease, here are the highlights of this year's schedule (and as you predicted, N.E. Brigand, nothing on Sunday this time):

TOLKIEN 2009
April 10–11, The University of Vermont, Burlington
Theme: Sex and Gender in Tolkien’s Middle-earth

FRIDAY, APRIL 10
Open-mike fireside Tolkien reading and performance
Henderson’s Cafe, Davis Center
7:30–9:30 pm

SATURDAY, APRIL 11
Full Day Conference
Memorial Lounge Auditorium
Waterman Building

Session I — Difference: Sexual, Gendered, and Spiritual, 8:30–10:00 am
  • ‘Not all Tears are an Evil’: Tragedy and Consolation in The Lord of Rings – Elizabeth Bateman (Washington College)
  • Tolkien’s Theory of Gender in The Silmarillion – Corey Olsen (Washington College)
  • ‘(As it were) a Vocation’: Frodo’s Celibacy from Tolkien’s Traditional Catholic Perspective – Trudy G. Shaw (Creighton University)

Session II — Tolkien and the Literary Tradition, 10:00–11:30 am
  • Mirrored Images: Similarities Between Éowyn in J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings and Portia in Shakespeare’s The Merchant of Venice – Jessica Safran (Central Michigan University)
  • History, Love, and Bodies: Tolkien and Morris – James Williamson (University of Vermont)
  • Bewildered by Loss in Sir Orfeo and The Children of Húrin – Rob Wakeman (University of Maryland, College Park)

Keynote, 1:00–2:00 pm
‘In the Company of Orcs’: Peter Jackson's Queer Tolkien – Jane Chance (Rice University)

Session III — Theorizing Tolkien, 2:00–3:30 pm
  • A Hegelian Reading of the Elves: Synthesizing the Master-Slave Dialectic in The Silmarillion – Jacob Seliger (University of Arizona)
  • Queer Theory and Tolkien’s Middle-earth – Christopher Vaccaro (University of Vermont)
  • Elfin Agency: Performativity and Arwen Evenstar in The Lord of the Rings – James Weldon (Wilfrid Laurier University)

Session IV — Roundtable Discussion, 3:45–5:00 pm
Sexualities and Genders in Middle-earth

Jason Fisher
Lingwë - Musings of a Fish

The Lord of the Rings discussion 2007-2008 – The Two Towers – III.4 “Treebeard” – Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
“On Fairy-stories” discussion 2008 – “Origins” – Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Subject User Time
Tolkien conference April 10-11 in Burlington, Vermont. N.E. Brigand Send a private message to N.E. Brigand Mar 23 2009, 5:04am
    Wish I could be there visualweasel Send a private message to visualweasel Mar 23 2009, 5:15pm
    Me! I am planning on going this year... weaver Send a private message to weaver Mar 24 2009, 1:46am
    conference Saelind Send a private message to Saelind Mar 25 2009, 2:24pm
    dang! vtboyarc Send a private message to vtboyarc Mar 30 2009, 7:11pm
    Full program details ... visualweasel Send a private message to visualweasel Apr 2 2009, 2:56pm
        thank you for this! weaver Send a private message to weaver Apr 2 2009, 3:36pm
            My pleasure. :) // visualweasel Send a private message to visualweasel Apr 2 2009, 3:44pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.