Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: TORn Moots & Other Events:
Tolkien conference April 10-11 in Burlington, Vermont.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Mar 23 2009, 5:04am

Post #1 of 8 (656 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien conference April 10-11 in Burlington, Vermont. Can't Post

For the third consecutive year, I’ll be attending the annual Tolkien conference run by Chris Vaccaro at the University of Vermont; the dates this year are April 10-11. There will be a “fireside reading” Friday evening, followed on Saturday by a single track of scholarly papers (usually six in the morning and six in the afternoon), culminating in a keynote address late in the day. This year’s keynote speaker is Jane Chance. This is a free event. In past years, there has been a morning schedule of student papers on Sunday (and students comprise a good portion of the audience on Saturday) but given that April 12 is Easter, I gather that’s not happening.

The conference theme is “Females and the Feminine in Middle-earth: Readings, Writings, and Interpretations”, but in my experience, only some papers stick to the primary conference theme. I haven’t seen the final schedule yet; I’ll post it as soon as it becomes available.

Anyone in the Burlington area who'd like to meet up? Unlike the past three years, visualweasel will not be in attendance this time, but at least one other TORNado is planning to be there.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Hobbit in the Reading Room, Mar. 23 - Aug. 9!

Join us Mar. 23-29 for "An Unexpected Party".
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

visualweasel
Rohan

Mar 23 2009, 5:15pm

Post #2 of 8 (178 views)
Shortcut
Wish I could be there [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been to this event three years running, and I highly recommend it to anyone in the area (or not, but willing to travel). I'm sitting this year out, as N.E. Brigand has already noted. I would love to see the schedule as soon as you have it, and I hope to see a full report in the wake of the conference.

Who is else going to be there?

Jason Fisher
Lingwë - Musings of a Fish

The Lord of the Rings discussion 2007-2008 – The Two Towers – III.4 “Treebeard” – Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
“On Fairy-stories” discussion 2008 – “Origins” – Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

weaver
Half-elven

Mar 24 2009, 1:46am

Post #3 of 8 (175 views)
Shortcut
Me! I am planning on going this year... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for posting this NEB and I am looking forward to seeing you and anyone else who can make it this year!

With luck, I'll be able to go to the next four years of these -- provided my oldest kid follows through on going to college there and makes it through graduation there.

Weaver

Saelind
Lorien

Mar 25 2009, 2:24pm

Post #4 of 8 (115 views)
Shortcut
conference [In reply to] Can't Post

It's unfortunate that they scheduled it on Easter weekend. I would have liked to attend too. maybe next year.

vtboyarc
Lorien

Mar 30 2009, 7:11pm

Post #5 of 8 (71 views)
Shortcut
dang! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm away at college - I'll be in Vermont after May...darn it

Theres some good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and its worth fighting for.

visualweasel
Rohan

Apr 2 2009, 2:56pm

Post #6 of 8 (287 views)
Shortcut
Full program details ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've posted the full schedule for the conference at my blog, here. I've also got the dates, theme, and keynote speaker for next year's conference up. Just for your ease, here are the highlights of this year's schedule (and as you predicted, N.E. Brigand, nothing on Sunday this time):

TOLKIEN 2009
April 10–11, The University of Vermont, Burlington
Theme: Sex and Gender in Tolkien’s Middle-earth

FRIDAY, APRIL 10
Open-mike fireside Tolkien reading and performance
Henderson’s Cafe, Davis Center
7:30–9:30 pm

SATURDAY, APRIL 11
Full Day Conference
Memorial Lounge Auditorium
Waterman Building

Session I — Difference: Sexual, Gendered, and Spiritual, 8:30–10:00 am
  • ‘Not all Tears are an Evil’: Tragedy and Consolation in The Lord of Rings – Elizabeth Bateman (Washington College)
  • Tolkien’s Theory of Gender in The Silmarillion – Corey Olsen (Washington College)
  • ‘(As it were) a Vocation’: Frodo’s Celibacy from Tolkien’s Traditional Catholic Perspective – Trudy G. Shaw (Creighton University)

Session II — Tolkien and the Literary Tradition, 10:00–11:30 am
  • Mirrored Images: Similarities Between Éowyn in J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings and Portia in Shakespeare’s The Merchant of Venice – Jessica Safran (Central Michigan University)
  • History, Love, and Bodies: Tolkien and Morris – James Williamson (University of Vermont)
  • Bewildered by Loss in Sir Orfeo and The Children of Húrin – Rob Wakeman (University of Maryland, College Park)

Keynote, 1:00–2:00 pm
‘In the Company of Orcs’: Peter Jackson's Queer Tolkien – Jane Chance (Rice University)

Session III — Theorizing Tolkien, 2:00–3:30 pm
  • A Hegelian Reading of the Elves: Synthesizing the Master-Slave Dialectic in The Silmarillion – Jacob Seliger (University of Arizona)
  • Queer Theory and Tolkien’s Middle-earth – Christopher Vaccaro (University of Vermont)
  • Elfin Agency: Performativity and Arwen Evenstar in The Lord of the Rings – James Weldon (Wilfrid Laurier University)

Session IV — Roundtable Discussion, 3:45–5:00 pm
Sexualities and Genders in Middle-earth

Jason Fisher

The Lord of the Rings discussion 2007-2008 – The Two Towers – III.4 “Treebeard” – Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

weaver
Half-elven

Apr 2 2009, 3:36pm

Post #7 of 8 (154 views)
Shortcut
thank you for this! [In reply to] Can't Post

Much appreciated to help with scheduling!

Wish you and other TORn-folk were going, but I am glad that I will get a chance to see NEB and it looks like a good program. And thanks for the heads up on the 2010 one in your Blog. RL permitting, this is a conference I hope to attend annually from here on out...

Weaver

visualweasel
Rohan

Apr 2 2009, 3:44pm

Post #8 of 8 (392 views)
Shortcut
My pleasure. :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Jason Fisher

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.