Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part VI
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Kim
Valinor

Jun 27 2014, 3:48am

Post #101 of 206 (1486 views)
Shortcut
     *THUD* indeed [In reply to]  

Nope, no choice at all.

Excellent photographic selections - some of my absolute favorites. Heart

*where are those smelling salts?

"Jagatud rõõm on topelt rõõm - a shared joy is a double joy". ~Estonian saying

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_collapsed

Avandel
Half-elven

Jun 27 2014, 3:48am

Post #102 of 206 (1475 views)
Shortcut
     *grins* [In reply to]  

So over on the Fan Board the dwarves have their Thralls, and now Thranduil has ridden off with his Thralls?

Only the war-elk's hoofprints in the drying mud of the rain was proof of how near the Dwarven company came to utter rout.

*Snigger* Ever the elves are in their living dream world, fueled by the unholy spores from the greenery Legolas grows in the back of the Elven King's palace. And Legolas couldn't hit his father's moose at ten paces, because his contacts are bothering him. Wink

Avandel
Half-elven

Jun 27 2014, 3:53am

Post #103 of 206 (1459 views)
Shortcut
     Not just thralls [In reply to]  

All of your enemies should quiver in fear, considering the hilarious damage you can do with a wide variety of tools in these software.Evil

Avandel
Half-elven

Jun 27 2014, 4:09am

Post #104 of 206 (1461 views)
Shortcut
     Better pass those salts this way [In reply to]  

Along with some oxygen.Angelic

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 27 2014, 8:38am

Post #105 of 206 (1416 views)
Shortcut
     Secondses actually... I think you popped in for that Black Speech discussion on an earlier iteration [In reply to]  

Any Thranduil takers? Wink

LoL I saw what you did there. Of course there are takers, you are talking to the mob here.

And tempted to take on a CHOW, but the work schedule might clash and I won't get clarity on the situation soon so I don't dare to commit. Unsure

Fan of both books and movies. Oh, and it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Appreciating Thranduil, thread by thread: I, II, III, IV, V, VI

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======

Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 27 2014, 8:39am

Post #106 of 206 (1419 views)
Shortcut
     I've heard that one before. The defenses usually don't hold for long // [In reply to]  

Fan of both books and movies. Oh, and it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 27 2014, 8:50am

Post #107 of 206 (1469 views)
Shortcut
     Welcome to the club [In reply to]  

The wait's made bearable for me only with these appreciation threads. Still can't wait til we get some REAL news or images, or whatever.

Re adventuring into DeviantART: in case you don't already know, you might want to be in a THUD-safe environment, and one where you won't get embarrassed to have someone witness it if you happen to unintentionally open an image that might not be so PG or even tasteful. There's lots of unsavoury "stuff" out there on the webs, but if you want to look for the thudderous ones you'd find yourself wading through the eewwwww stuff. Evil

Your copy of the Sil sounds great! Don't worry about Tumblr and time - the four of us asking to join the teams there are also non-committal, its for fun. Smile

Lee Pace's Thranduil has me wanting to study more Elvish history.

I like the sound of that Cool

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 27 2014, 8:51am

Post #108 of 206 (1427 views)
Shortcut
     LoL. Truly // [In reply to]  

=======

DanielLB
Immortal

Jun 27 2014, 9:02am

Post #109 of 206 (1432 views)
Shortcut
     Thanks Eruvandi - [In reply to]  

I need to start reading this thread more closely. Tongue

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 27 2014, 9:24am

Post #110 of 206 (1499 views)
Shortcut
     A siege unto Winter then [In reply to]  

The Dwarves may keep their thralls and eat the gold if they will. The Elvenking trusted not to the fickle wind of thralldom, only to the strength of his army.

Yet, much would it interest the hosts of Elves and Men to know how the Dwarves purpose to feed the thralls for it seemed the only other living things beside the Company and their thralls are the birds. The thralls' need for food would soon overtake their appreciation of Dwarven aesthetics, yet cannot be sustained on such insignficant fare as birdbrains. The Elvenking is patient. He can wait, and his counsel Bard his ally would heed. 5 months is a mere moment in a blink in the eye of an Elf. Mark the date on your calendar if you dare!

*Snigger* Ever the elves are in their living dream world, fueled by the unholy spores from the greenery Legolas grows in the back of the Elven King's palace. And Legolas couldn't hit his father's moose at ten paces, because his contacts are bothering him. Wink

None are found upon Elven lands nor will unholy spores ever be. Only without the kingdom are spores of Dwarven delusions to be found, and away from the Elf-path, which the company of Thorin seemed most familiar with. Where too it appeared thirteen Dwarves could scarce hit one insignificant black squirrel without much drama, even early in their journey, or indeed waste the meat after effort spent preparing a meal of it. Perhaps the spores might have aided their aim. Yet worse, much worse, was the whole company's wanton waste of arrows; no Elf need more than one shot for a black squirrel, nor spend quivers only to miss a hind of pure white and her fawns. Yet no Elf would hunt a hind with fawns for sustainable and responsible consumerism are key to survival in this Age. Clearly ideas and principles beyond some. Tongue

(Crazy its a moody time for me and I totally missed your cue. Got a bit Leggy-emo with the last post too. Tongue And sorry, am not venturing into the Fan Board - have not enough time to do much as it is, afraid of getting caught in another distraction I can't afford right now. Colour me coward Sly)

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 27 2014, 9:26am

Post #111 of 206 (1450 views)
Shortcut
     I'm sure, but the Elven Halls were probably not dug in one day [In reply to]  

so I'll go slow and take my victories where I can Blush

Today, the appreciation thread, tomorrow, DeviantART! Tongue

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 27 2014, 9:46am

Post #112 of 206 (1430 views)
Shortcut
     White Stag scene and reverence for white animals, and bran capacity [In reply to]  

Re the white stag scene, you might be interested to see this

It's interesting re white animals. In Chinese legend, there's the story of the Whitesnake spirit who fell in love with a man for example. In modern times, there's Migaloo the white humpback whale who the Australians specifically told the Japanese whale killers to back off off while pretty much doing nothing to stop them from klling other whales in the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary to which Australia is a signatory (I have my thoughts on selective specimen protection of this sort that seemed to be inherent in human nature, and of course different from the reverence for animals with special traits in the old days, but I'll hold my thoughts to avoid too much OT).

I tell you what, since I have been coming into these Thranduil Appreciation Threads, my imagination has been running wild, I have been reading lots and lots of Tolkien, and I think my brain capacity has increased to possibly 10.5 %. This is a good thing.

THUMBS UP!Smile

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 27 2014, 12:03pm

Post #113 of 206 (1413 views)
Shortcut
     PS Ok Ok, who am I kidding [In reply to]  

I snuck in to the Fan Board to see your side of the stage Tongue

You have a case of Thorinitis Ostentathitis, to state the obvious Sly Are you going to continue?

=======

Kerewyn
Rohan

Jun 27 2014, 12:15pm

Post #114 of 206 (1443 views)
Shortcut
     The salvation that is fan fic/art [In reply to]  

Been battling goblins the last few days, it has rendered me mute. I suspect there are more coming. Unimpressed
But thanks so much to you Avandel and Lurker for your ongoing fiction, it has made me laugh. See this is the kind of fic I love to read, and I haven’t even had to go searching for it. SmileSmile I have copied it all onto a word doc (complete with pics), for offline reading all in one pleasurable hit.

And this, Euvandi! that you posted. http://durinheir.deviantart.com/...ake-a-wish-400591077 I totally Heart this lovely piece of fan art. What I love about it is that it was made for this girl by an understanding (and talented) friend. The depiction of her, the look of utter delight on her face. Both the art, and the intention behind it, are so very sweet.

I did the quiz just now and also got Thranduil. Heh! Must have been the questions relating to nature, and my collection of trinkets. I would like to think I am serene and Elf-like – physically I am tall with cheekbones, and I used to have long hair. I do have hobbity habits as well, such as doily ownership, a love of sitting in comfy chairs reading, and ability to fly under the radar. But actually, I suspect I am more likely to be a lady of Gondor, because (1) I’m a city gal who enjoys apartment living and urban distractions (2) I don’t get along well with horses.

'People don't know where I begin and latex ends, which has always been an ambition for me.' (Martin Freeman)

Kerewyn
Rohan

Jun 27 2014, 12:29pm

Post #115 of 206 (1410 views)
Shortcut
     CHOW [In reply to]  

His post about CHOW is up there^ somewhere, slowly getting lost underneath all the Thranduil appreciation.Wink I don't know about the other Thralls, but I'm afraid I won't have time to be a CHOW leader with my summer classes going full force.Frown I'll try to make time to join in the discussion though, because those are two of my favorite chapters.Smile

Anyway, welcome to the Appreciation Thread, Daniel! Thranduil is impressed with your bravery in venturing in here, and says you are thrice welcome.

Likewise. I wish I was up for leading a discussion. It would be a stimulating intellectual challenge - I haven't lead anything on TORn since a screencap discussion back in the third or fourth age. But I'm about to embark on Camp Nanowrimo and have a cabin full of write-mates expecting my commitment there. I will try to drop in though. Ah, July. So delightfully demanding! (and so cold. There's a hurricane blowing outside)

'People don't know where I begin and latex ends, which has always been an ambition for me.' (Martin Freeman)

Kerewyn
Rohan

Jun 27 2014, 12:36pm

Post #116 of 206 (1421 views)
Shortcut
     Empire / Fan Board [In reply to]  

Dang! I meant to get Empire on the way home. My work is surrounded by magazine shops.

Tell me, what / where is this Fan Board of which you speak? And dare I go there on the eve of a month of creative writing? Shocked

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 27 2014, 12:51pm

Post #117 of 206 (1460 views)
Shortcut
     Woodland Weekend! (Oh there's soemthing here for Avandel too) [In reply to]  

Well, I didn't think there might be new things to discover, but what do I know, so here's the good stuff.

First, let's get this out of the way:

FANART

A tad mawkish, but this one's pretty amazing for the detailed likeness to movie!Thranduil. Go to the page and check out the closeup.

This one
, based on his crowned look, not too bad either.

There is other word but fey for this one, but if Thranduil did stick around in FA and beyond, this might just be his look.

hmmm... ... For Avandel and others afflicted with Thorinitis Sly (I rather picture Thorin like this near the end)

Eruvandi: You might like this one - Legolas

A Thorin and Company meet stone giant-ish moment

GIF!
Love the first one here.
LOVE this combo set.
Mwoar Thranduil GIFs
General BotFA BTS chaos

LoL
THE HOBBIT modern AU newsprint: just teh kewl. (<- here too, Avandel)
The orc scene

HCF moments
here and here

Pushing Daisies GIF (Just LOL. Loved this sequence)

OT: For Kerewyn: Hiddles news

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 27 2014, 12:56pm

Post #118 of 206 (1424 views)
Shortcut
     in case a comparison is needed to convince ya [In reply to]  

And another Ronan pic. What I really really want is to hear his voice though.

=======

Kerewyn
Rohan

Jun 27 2014, 1:07pm

Post #119 of 206 (1462 views)
Shortcut
     Cloaks & Daggers & orchids & rings. [In reply to]  

Being a companion photographic book to the DoS Art & Design, I am hoping there are some photos we haven’t seen before, but I expect here in Thralldom, we’ve seen just about every image that it’s possible to see. There’d be images that can’t be released until the final film is, and I think the final book will coincide. That will be the really exciting one.

Thranduil is so concerned with wealth and wanting to show his majesty, impressing upon his trespassing guest how important he is, that the long golden robe that he wears in the throne-room scene makes great sense.

And he wouldn’t get that many visitors, given that the Woodland Realm doesn’t exactly lay out a welcome mat. Now I am imagining that, beneath the annoyance of these intruding dwarves, he felt the smallest flicker of thrill, “oh great, at LAST a chance to wear that fabulous gold outfit I picked up last century.” Cool

“One thing that we can discern about Thranduil from the set dressing items I created for him, is that he is into orchids. I created a couple of book spreads for him featuring illustration and writing concerning these flowers, which, it would appear, are a hobby of his”...Daniel Reeve, Graphic Artist.

Wow. I like this. As you say Lurker, that is a surprise. I haven’t noticed any orchid features or books in the set dressing. Yet. My impression of orchid-fanciers, gleaned from other works, is that they are obsessive eccentric people, usually fairly wealthy. Y’know, some fan artists need to get hold of that info. I can see orchids being beautifully incorporated into art work.

If orchids are part of Thranduil's life - yet we barely get to see that - then something as visible as his rings definitely has a story.

there's a few of us who are dying to know about the story of his rings

On this, I know people who know people, and recently I put my feelers out. I hope my enquiry will be passed along and reach the innermost dens of they-who-create. But I don’t want to get our hopes up … it’s really just a pipe dream that a reply might find its way back to us. If we all squeeze our eyes tight, lock our pinkies together and make a wish under the starlight…
Angelic

(This post was edited by Kerewyn on Jun 27 2014, 1:11pm)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 27 2014, 1:24pm

Post #120 of 206 (1436 views)
Shortcut
     Welcome back, Kerewyn =o) [In reply to]  

We missed you.

But thanks so much to you Avandel and Lurker for your ongoing fiction, it has made me laugh. See this is the kind of fic I love to read, and I haven’t even had to go searching for it. SmileSmile I have copied it all onto a word doc (complete with pics), for offline reading all in one pleasurable hit.

heheh... You're so kind. Avandel's the passionate one. My giggle-metre's a bit off recently.
I'm just along for the ride. Tongue Haven't got it recalibrated properly.

I did the quiz just now and also got Thranduil.

Eh, did I miss something?

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 27 2014, 1:25pm

Post #121 of 206 (1414 views)
Shortcut
     It's the Fanart forum right here. Enter at your own peril. [In reply to]  

Avandel's a bad influence. Tongue I'm trying to resist setting up shop there with her.

=======

Kerewyn
Rohan

Jun 27 2014, 1:46pm

Post #122 of 206 (1404 views)
Shortcut
     OT reply: thanks for the Hiddle news! [In reply to]  

I knew it was a good omen when I heard a rumour to that effect today at work (thanks to my one like-minded workmate), then later turned the telly on just in time to catch him rocking his US accent in 'Midnight in Paris.' (which I also own, natch) And then confirmed by you.

Back on topic: That modern AU newsprint is quite priceless! Sly Nice work, that person.

Kerewyn
Rohan

Jun 27 2014, 1:51pm

Post #123 of 206 (1424 views)
Shortcut
     Quiz - Which Hobbit character are you? [In reply to]  

I did the quiz just now and also got Thranduil.
Eh, did I miss something?

Here you go. http://lotrproject.com/quiz/
Eruvandi provided the link in a post back on page 3.

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 27 2014, 1:52pm

Post #124 of 206 (1436 views)
Shortcut
     I'll be patient, I will wait [In reply to]  

Being a companion photographic book to the DoS Art & Design, I am hoping there are some photos we haven’t seen before, but I expect here in Thralldom, we’ve seen just about every image that it’s possible to see. There’d be images that can’t be released until the final film is, and I think the final book will coincide. That will be the really exciting one.

Thanks for the info. I can stop watching the price on the online store like it's the latest stockpick now.

And he wouldn’t get that many visitors, given that the Woodland Realm doesn’t exactly lay out a welcome mat. Now I am imagining that, beneath the annoyance of these intruding dwarves, he felt the smallest flicker of thrill, “oh great, at LAST a chance to wear that fabulous gold outfit I picked up last century.” Cool

LoL my word! That would so be a BTS moment in the Halls if Elves were into reality TV Tongue

Wow. I like this. As you say Lurker, that is a surprise. I haven’t noticed any orchid features or books in the set dressing. Yet. My impression of orchid-fanciers, gleaned from other works, is that they are obsessive eccentric people, usually fairly wealthy. Y’know, some fan artists need to get hold of that info. I can see orchids being beautifully incorporated into art work.

If orchids are part of Thranduil's life - yet we barely get to see that - then something as visible as his rings definitely has a story.

It's been spikey vines vibes in the sets.

Flowers, especially orchids are a definite surprise. I don't know all that much about them even though there's plenty around here and officialdom makes it a habit of offering visiting dignitaries or their better halves the pick of new varieties to be named after them. My impression is their cultivation seemed to be an arcane science yet precise art. Orchids are typically hardy plants with aerial-roots, and they thrive in the humidity here. But they are quite contrarian too, needing watering, but tending to die from root-rot if you're not careful about how much to give, and similarly they love the sun but too much and they die (I have a brown thumb... moving on!). They are beautiful to look at and quite aesthetical and there's endless varieties that even a competent hobbyist can cultivate with ease. When in bloom, well-tended plants can keep their flowers for weeks. One of the most interesting bit about them is their name though, derived from the signature characteristics of the
genus' flower. Very masculine origins. Smile

Thinking more about it, I can see Thranduil delighting in the challenges of keeping his pet plants in bloom in the challenging underground and wet conditions of the halls. The tenacity of the plants with their aerial roots yet the need for climbing support for feeble stems, the plainness of the plant contrasted with the glory of the blooms, traits just as contrarian as him. Though I wonder when and who sparked his interest. Mirkwood doesn't seem like it's the type of place to have native orchid species.

On this, I know people who know people, and recently I put my feelers out. I hope my enquiry will be passed along and reach the innermost dens of they-who-create. But I don’t want to get our hopes up … it’s really just a pipe dream that a reply might find its way back to us. If we all squeeze our eyes tight, lock our pinkies together and make a wish under the starlight…
Angelic

*Wordlessly extend pinkie and squeeze eyes shut*

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Jun 27 2014, 1:54pm

Post #125 of 206 (1445 views)
Shortcut
     You're welcome! [In reply to]  

catch him rocking his US accent in 'Midnight in Paris.'

Must try to get some look-in on that.

*OT: I think it's like the first time I'm online at the same time with another thrall*

=======

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Jun 27 2014, 1:55pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.