Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Top Tolkien Stories of 2007

Xoanon
PTB

Dec 31 2007, 9:18pm

Post #1 of 11 (2067 views)
Shortcut
Top Tolkien Stories of 2007 Can't Post

2007 has been quite an exciting year for Tolkien fans! There’s been an abundance of news and events from across the globe including openings of musicals, new book releases and new movies in the pipeline: something to satisfy just about any geeky preference! As a thank-you for following all the developments of the year with us, we thought we’d put together a retrospective of the top Tolkien stories of 2007 in one convenient list. The list below is in chronological order.

The top Tolkien stories of 2007

Michael Regina
Editor in Chief/Segment Producer
PH: 514.947.5221
http://www.TheOneRing.net
http://www.KongisKing.net
http://www.TheOneLion.net
http://www.gallifreyone.com

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Dec 31 2007, 9:49pm)

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Dec 31 2007, 9:49pm

Post #2 of 11 (776 views)
Shortcut
You forgot one very important thing [In reply to] Can't Post

Gamers :)

One of the biggest things for me in 2007 was Turbine's release of The Lord of the Rings Online (www.lotro.com). The fact that it is based on the books rather than the movies makes it all the better. It is an absolutely brilliant game; I recommend that everyone give it a try, if they are interested in such a thing.

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Dec 31 2007, 10:16pm

Post #3 of 11 (713 views)
Shortcut
Nothing on the revelation of Sauron's real name? [In reply to] Can't Post

In August another new work by Tolkien appeared: Words, Phrases & Passages in various tongues in The Lord of the Rings. This is a set of annotated lists by Tolkien, c. 1955-1966, that was published in Parma Eldalamberon, no. 17.

It didn't get much attention, and so does not merit an appearance on your list of top news items for 2007, but there is more new writing by Tolkien in this work (edited by Christopher Gilson for the Elvish Linguistic Fellowship) than in The Children of Húrin (at least ninety percent of which was previously published in The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales). Among the nifty tidbits that it presents is the name Sauron had before turning to evil: Mairon.

Here is a little discussion from earlier this year.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

We're on hiatus Dec. 24-Jan. 6 for the holidays.
Join us Jan. 7-13 for "Strider".

WhiteLadyEowyn
Rivendell

Jan 1 2008, 4:47am

Post #4 of 11 (663 views)
Shortcut
I hope that.. [In reply to] Can't Post

.. the Long expected party www.alongexpectedparty.org will be something 'worthy' of the year-end recap for 2008 :)

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Jan 2 2008, 12:58am

Post #5 of 11 (624 views)
Shortcut
A fine addition [In reply to] Can't Post

I like the game a lot myself and also recommend it. It is a very significant release and yet I didn't think of it at all!

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Jan 2 2008, 12:59am

Post #6 of 11 (626 views)
Shortcut
Kudos to Altaira for putting this list together! {NT} [In reply to] Can't Post

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 2 2008, 3:18pm

Post #7 of 11 (612 views)
Shortcut
*applause!* Although... [In reply to] Can't Post

for me, #7 is #1 ;)

This is a great idea; doing compilations of the top Tolkien events. It's a wonderful way to reflect on the past year and the flurry of each event.

Thank you!

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

My DragonCon 07 Report

My JRRT Map Moot Report

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 2 2008, 4:36pm

Post #8 of 11 (622 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Mr. C and gramma [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't take credit for the idea; that was Calisuri's. I just did the research and the writing. I *did* miss a few highlights for 2007 but will be taking notes as 2008 goes by. *sharpens pencil* Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Elven
Valinor

Jan 2 2008, 4:40pm

Post #9 of 11 (589 views)
Shortcut
Thankyou Altaira! ... [In reply to] Can't Post

and maybe we should donate some pencils ... might be a big year!

Many Thanks for your hard work!

Cheers!

The Shire was never the same after
Barbra Cartland moved into Bagshot Row.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
The Hobbit!!
Its a Happening Thing!!

Russell Crowe for Beorn

Sauruman: "Do know how the fan girls/boys first came into being? ... they were Tolkien scholars once ... Taken by the Dark Director, tempted to hold moots & dress up like Hobbits, Elves, Dwarves and Wizards ... A ruined & terrible form of life, not to mentions bad grades ... and now perfected at TORN ...
Whom do you serve!"

deej
Tol Eressea

Jan 2 2008, 6:02pm

Post #10 of 11 (614 views)
Shortcut
Great list! And if we were doing a list of Top TOR.n Stories of 2007... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I'd say all the hard work Altaira and the PTB put into redesigning the site and the message boards would be #1!

Smile

The Hobbit is Happening!

Bilbo Fans for Martin Freeman!

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jan 2 2008, 6:41pm

Post #11 of 11 (607 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely. // [In reply to] Can't Post

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

We're on hiatus Dec. 24-Jan. 6 for the holidays.
Join us Jan. 7-13 for "Strider".

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.