Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Transcript of 1964 interview with JRRT

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 17 2008, 7:33pm

Post #1 of 20 (1934 views)
Shortcut
Transcript of 1964 interview with JRRT Can't Post

I subscribe to the Tolkien Library site, and this week they sent a link to a fascinating interview with Professor Tolkien.

Here's the link: http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/...71_BBC_Interview.php

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

(This post was edited by Altaira on Jan 18 2008, 4:23am)

squire
Half-elven

Jan 17 2008, 7:44pm

Post #2 of 20 (1104 views)
Shortcut
[laughs] "no no, it isn't an obsession in any way" [In reply to] Can't Post

Ha Ha Ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha !!!

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 17 2008, 7:59pm

Post #3 of 20 (1034 views)
Shortcut
*thrills!* Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

"D. Gerrolt: Have you a particular fondness for these comfortable homely things of life that the Shire embodies: the home and pipe and fire and bed - the homely virtues?
J.R.R. Tolkien: Haven't you?
D. Gerrolt: Haven't you Professor Tolkien?
J.R.R. Tolkien: Of course, yes yes yes.
D. Gerrolt: You have a particular fondness then for Hobbits?
J.R.R. Tolkien: That's why I feel at home … "

This is Fantastic! You've made my day, entmaiden... yet again!!

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

burrahobbit
Rohan

Jan 17 2008, 8:05pm

Post #4 of 20 (1050 views)
Shortcut
He has a wonderful voice... [In reply to] Can't Post

... and a deep, fruity laugh!

Really enjoyed that thanks! Smile

I think I've only heard Tolkien reading before, rather than in conversation so was great to hear that interview.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jan 17 2008, 8:54pm

Post #5 of 20 (1037 views)
Shortcut
1964 or 1971? [In reply to] Can't Post

Collier refers to both dates. Also: what's on the Youtube? (I can't open it on this computer.) Was it a radio or television interview?

We discussed this interview very briefly when a.s. linked to a different site last month in the Reading Room. And just to be exhaustive: in 2002, LovedEveryMoment linked to what was apparently a different interview, where Tolkien mentions Queen Berúthiel and E.R. Eddison, but that no longer seems to be available.

Is that Anderson/Burns book of Tolkien's interviews ever coming out? It's been listed on amazon for at least two years.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us Jan. 14-20 for "A Knife in the Dark".

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 17 2008, 8:59pm

Post #6 of 20 (1038 views)
Shortcut
The dates are confusing [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't try to open the Youtube to listen to it since I'm at work. It was a radio interview.

I've pre-ordered Doug Anderson's book on Amazon and the most recent update has August, 2008. But it's been delayed several times

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Musashi
Bree

Jan 17 2008, 9:59pm

Post #7 of 20 (1021 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for sharing that. I've always loved how off the cuff and truly British Tolkien was about his creation, Middle Earth.

I really believe he intentionally left holes in his own knowledge of Middle Earth; allowing the unknown as mystery to provide further texture to his world.

I think he'd be quite surprised if he were still alive today on how much we fans lovingly dissect everything in his books. I don't think he'd be overly happy about it either.

Great interview.Smile

Photobucket

(This post was edited by Musashi on Jan 17 2008, 10:00pm)

a.s.
Valinor

Jan 18 2008, 12:07am

Post #8 of 20 (1032 views)
Shortcut
use the Wayback Machine! [In reply to] Can't Post

Not sure if the original link had an audio version? But if you put the link that LovedEveryMoment sent into the Wayback Machine you get this archived page, which seems to be clickable for the entirety (haven't read it yet).

Off to read the interview now...

a.s.

"an seileachan"

"And we must all bring Provisions."
"Bring what ?"
"Things to eat."
"Oh!" said Pooh happily. "I thought you said Provisions.
I'll go and tell them." And he stumped off.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jan 18 2008, 12:31am

Post #9 of 20 (1031 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's weird to see Michael Moorcock writing kindly about Tolkien, though.

This interview must be the source for Tolkien's comments on Berúthiel that Humphrey Carpenter used in his recreated Inklings meeting. But that took place in the early 1940s.

We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Mar
Gondor

Jan 18 2008, 2:53am

Post #10 of 20 (1013 views)
Shortcut
Yes indeed he has been remembered for the LotR! Thanks, that was great. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Life isn't about finding yourself, it is about creating yourself.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 18 2008, 3:20am

Post #11 of 20 (1024 views)
Shortcut
The Master's voice! [In reply to] Can't Post

Heh, you can hear him chewing on his pipe, even! And he held up well, considering some of those questions ("Why did you choose a halfling...").

Yes, fascinating, thank you!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

PrincessWhat
Bree

Jan 18 2008, 4:21am

Post #12 of 20 (1001 views)
Shortcut
Very Cool [In reply to] Can't Post

"I wrote the last ... in about 1949 - I remember I actually wept at the denouement."

Beren
Bree

Jan 18 2008, 8:00am

Post #13 of 20 (1020 views)
Shortcut
Dates accident explained [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Collier refers to both dates. Also: what's on the Youtube? (I can't open it on this computer.) Was it a radio or television interview?

We discussed this interview very briefly when a.s. linked to a different site last month in the Reading Room. And just to be exhaustive: in 2002, LovedEveryMoment linked to what was apparently a different interview, where Tolkien mentions Queen Berúthiel and E.R. Eddison, but that no longer seems to be available.

Is that Anderson/Burns book of Tolkien's interviews ever coming out? It's been listed on amazon for at least two years.

Sorry about the dates switches. At first I copied from youtube the dat 1971 and then after I had published the transcript (after about 3 hours of relistening the interview) I started to realise that 1971 was not the correct date of the recording. Let me explain how this date switch happened. This interview was first broadcast in a radio program in 1971, but was recorded in 1964. It explains a lot of course, one might be confused about it since they took so long to broadcast it and the person who ran the radio program was also the one who did the interview. I started to search around and I found that Gerould had only done 1 interview with Tolkien and that it was in 1964. I'm also waiting for the book from Douglas Anderson to get all the correct dates, since I know of some other intersting inteviews that I long to read. It is a must read for sure... but I also hoep they will add some audio CD with the book! That would be really nice...

'It is fulfilled. Even now a Silmaril is in my hand.' - tolkienlibrary.com

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jan 18 2008, 8:14am

Post #14 of 20 (971 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the explanation, Beren. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Kyriel
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 19 2008, 12:34am

Post #15 of 20 (956 views)
Shortcut
Dagnabbit [In reply to] Can't Post

I listened for about half a minute but couldn't make out anything Tolkien was saying. He was a notorious marble mouth, but in this interview he seems worse than usual. Or does it get better as it goes along? Should I give it another listen and hang in there a little longer, or is there a transcript available somewhere? How about a highlights version? Wink

Those left standing will make millions writing books on the way it should have been. --Incubus

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 19 2008, 12:35am

Post #16 of 20 (940 views)
Shortcut
There's a transcript [In reply to] Can't Post

below the page that I've linked to.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Kyriel
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 19 2008, 1:19am

Post #17 of 20 (931 views)
Shortcut
Ah, thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't look down that far the first time. :-)

Those left standing will make millions writing books on the way it should have been. --Incubus

(This post was edited by Kyriel on Jan 19 2008, 1:20am)

Isabel
The Shire

Jan 19 2008, 2:33am

Post #18 of 20 (924 views)
Shortcut
I have goosebumps!!!! (sp?) [In reply to] Can't Post

Is the first time i've heard his voice! And to actually hear him talking about Hobbits and middle earth, dios mio!! Thank you, thank you for showing us this!!
Best decision ever to join in this place!!

"Everybody lies" Gregory House

TSN

Jan 19 2008, 9:16pm

Post #19 of 20 (923 views)
Shortcut
Thats great :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I can hear how Ian McKellen modelled Gandalfs speech from listening to Tolkien speaking...

Beren
Bree

Jan 22 2008, 11:51am

Post #20 of 20 (894 views)
Shortcut
Reaction on homepage text [In reply to] Can't Post

The Tolkien Library has published J.R.R. Tolkien’s 1971 Interview with Dennis Gerrolt of the BBC on YouTube, as well as the complete transcript at their website.

Thanks for linking to my website at your homepage, just wanted to let you know that 'their website' is a bit wrong, because it is a one man project (so far). I wished there where more of me, since I have so many ideas of things I want to realize...

'It is fulfilled. Even now a Silmaril is in my hand.' - tolkienlibrary.com

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.