Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Hobbit Casting Speculation with MrCere!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Haltiamieli

Jan 8 2008, 7:46pm

Post #76 of 203 (1095 views)
Shortcut
Motion-captured Smaug [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think Smaug would be very demanding role physically even if done by motion-capture. No human could ever act flying convincingly anyway ;) Moving slowly and menacingly on his treasure bed shouldn't be too hard, nor even the few bursts of fiery outrage.

renzn
Bree

Jan 8 2008, 8:55pm

Post #77 of 203 (1077 views)
Shortcut
Here's 2 cents for your thoughts [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a fan of J.R.R. Tolkien's work. I've really enjoyed the movie renditions of the books. I’m a fan of personalities more than just acting and for that reason I’ve chosen your post to respond to over all the others. I very much agree with you on James Cosmo or Brian Cox as Thorin. Both played in Braveheart and both are quite rough in appearance and gruff/gravely in the sounds of their voices. Your choice of Julian Sands is unique to me at least and with this choice I can’t think of anyone better. He has the control of voice while acting. He has the brooding eyebrows and an intellectual and caring face like one would assume an Elvish leader would have. He’s acted with blonde hair before and appears to have the right, light complexion, similar to the elves shown in the recent movies. I have my own choices for other roles, but you’re spot on with these ones. Good job. Now figure out who’ll be the other dwarves. Don’t the pairs need to resemble each other, such as Dori and Nori…Fili and Kili? I think this’ll be the toughest part to cast.

BuckyUnderbelly
Lorien

Jan 8 2008, 9:33pm

Post #78 of 203 (1072 views)
Shortcut
True! [In reply to] Can't Post

But that Christopher Plummer is so good ... I expect he could probably fly in real life! Tongue

I'm amused at the idea of somebody with the gravitas and dignfied bearing of a James Earl Jones ... slinking about on a little green platform ... while wearing a skin-tight leotard dotted with tiny ping-pong balls! Hilarious!

"In Hollywood the screenplay is a fire hydrant. And there's a line of dogs around the block." -- Frank Miller

(This post was edited by BuckyUnderbelly on Jan 8 2008, 9:33pm)

Anthronaut

Jan 8 2008, 10:14pm

Post #79 of 203 (1074 views)
Shortcut
Ian Holm [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf clearly states in The Fellowship of the Ring to Bilbo..."You haven't aged a day..." inferring that he hadn't aged a day since their last adventure. I think Ian Holm will be used for Bilbo or at least should be. He hasn't aged that much since LOTR's not to use him...never know. :)

Reed Rothchild
The Shire

Jan 8 2008, 10:22pm

Post #80 of 203 (1068 views)
Shortcut
Is it just me?..... [In reply to] Can't Post

Is it just me or does that picture of Martin Freeman look just like Topher Grace? haha... That's funny.

Haltiamieli

Jan 8 2008, 10:37pm

Post #81 of 203 (1040 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo's aging [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Gandalf clearly states in The Fellowship of the Ring to Bilbo..."You haven't aged a day..." inferring that he hadn't aged a day since their last adventure.

I wouldn't say it's that clear Gandalf means to say that Bilbo hasn't "aged a day" since their last adventure. Evidently Gandalf visited the Shire at least a few times quite recently before Bilbo's party (for once, Frodo recognizes him), and surely has seen Bilbo too. "Not aged a day" might so refer to much shorter time period than sixty years. And Gollum didn't stay completely as he was while he kept the ring, nor did the Ringwraiths with their Nine. The Ring did keep one from dying surely and evidently also prolonged one's "biological years" much. But it didn't halt time completely; just slowered and twisted.

And besides, wouldn't it be even a bit unethical to put a eighty-years-old veteran on a action-packed leading role of an adventure film? :P

renzn
Bree

Jan 8 2008, 10:46pm

Post #82 of 203 (1069 views)
Shortcut
Dwarves and Trolls [In reply to] Can't Post

You’re pretty good at choosing persons to portray characters. Everyone seems to be focused on the lead roles. Why don’t you apply your thoughts to who’ll play the charismatic, helpful, playful, and loyal brothers Fili and Kili? Remember that they need to somewhat resemble their uncle Thorin and that the one is older than the other by 5 years. Some have mentioned who’ll play Bombur only because he’s loveable and chubby. What about the others? There has to be a relationship between them all, so come up with some supporting and interesting people to play the other roles.

Shouldn’t the person that plays Gloin resemble Gimli a bit? Who’ll play him?

We’ve all seen the animated Hobbit movie where the trolls Tom, Bert, and Bill spoke with Cockney accents while debating on how to have their food. They’re enormous, brutish, and a few cards short of a deck. Who should play them?

Who’ll be the voices of the Spiders of Mirkwood? Will it be Fran Dresher and Cindy Lauper? Their voices would drive me nuts, but would be hilarious and can sound wicked. This could be a way for the film team to bring additional humor to the tale.

Who’ll be the wicked “Master of Lake-town? This guy wasn’t completely evil, but he ran off with the money meant for rebuilding the town. Who appears like a town mayor, but is shallow in inner character? This character might not even be portrayed as Tom Bombadil never had his day in the sun, but just keep searching because the others within this string seem a bit too focused.

SandWitch King
Rohan

Jan 8 2008, 10:59pm

Post #83 of 203 (1013 views)
Shortcut
Ask Mr. Balrog [In reply to] Can't Post

Nobody did mo-cap for him.

The animators are quite adept at figuring out how fantastical creatures move and if they don't get dragon performance right, who is there to say so?

Mo-cap for humans (humanoids) is important because when it is fake, we can immediately see the difference.

I wish my name was "Barrow Wong". Maybe I should change it. And now for my quote:

"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure. Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official testing record, followed by death. Good luck."

nimthiriel
The Shire

Jan 8 2008, 11:01pm

Post #84 of 203 (1025 views)
Shortcut
not just you, hahahaha [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, he does look like an older Topher
hahahahaha

I´m reading and learning from all your movie knowledge!!!
this is fun!!!
I think I´m going to have a look at all this actors before I give my opinion...
in the meantime...Say No to Bowie!!!!! :)

p.s: I hope I replied well:)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 8 2008, 11:10pm

Post #85 of 203 (1054 views)
Shortcut
Your response was fine [In reply to] Can't Post

Look forward to your casting choices. And I agree - no Bowie for Thranduil.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Oden
Rivendell

Jan 8 2008, 11:11pm

Post #86 of 203 (1060 views)
Shortcut
Brian Blessed would fit [In reply to] Can't Post

in the role of Thorin and maybe even Beorn.

How about his voice for Smaug?

SandWitch King
Rohan

Jan 8 2008, 11:12pm

Post #87 of 203 (1107 views)
Shortcut
There were some very known quantities in LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

Liv Tyler, Sean Bean, Sean Astin, Ian McKellen, Kate Blanchette and J.Rhy-Davies (at least) were all well known. The studio not only wants viewers to recognize faces, but the studio (and directors and casting agents for that matter) want to know these people are reliable and professional and solid.

It is true that a lot of people here didn't know a lot of the actors cast. It isn't true that the studios didn't.

Billy Boyd, Orlando Bloom and Dominic Monaghan were really virtually strangers to the movie business. Jackson's casting people deserve a lot of credit for finding those folks.

New Line and MGM will want some names/faces in the movie. Nobody will want or allow a cast full of Blooms and Boyds.

I wish my name was "Barrow Wong". Maybe I should change it. And now for my quote:

"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure. Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official testing record, followed by death. Good luck."

BuckyUnderbelly
Lorien

Jan 8 2008, 11:33pm

Post #88 of 203 (1011 views)
Shortcut
Very true. [In reply to] Can't Post

However, Smaug has quite a lot of dialogue. He needs to give more of a "performance" than the Balrog or the cave troll. I expect they may at least consider mo-capping the face of the actor if not the whole body. Especially since the mo-cap technology has come a long way just in the few years since Gollum.

Certainly it's not necessary to use mo-cap ... but knowing Jackson's proclivity for actor-driven CG characters ... I'm betting there's a good chance he'll want to use it again.

Personally, I don't really care which way they go ... because Smaug is going to look amazing whatever they do!

"In Hollywood the screenplay is a fire hydrant. And there's a line of dogs around the block." -- Frank Miller

Ryukan

Jan 8 2008, 11:42pm

Post #89 of 203 (1004 views)
Shortcut
More random thoughts on actor/character matches [In reply to] Can't Post

The author of the article on character/actor speculation for mentioned Jeremy Irons for Smaug...that choice just seems perfect for me. Jeremy Irons has a great vocie and is a fantastic actor...I can even see his face being used as a mo-cap for Smaug. And Martin Freeman is a good suggestion also...best idea for Bilbo Baggins and some of his mannerisms of the Arthur Dent character he played in The Hitchiker's Guide to the Universe could almost be applied to Bilbo as he seems in the early parts of the Hobbit, especially when Gandalf and the dwarves begin arriving at his home. I would like to see Brendan Gleeson as Beorn...give him a huge beard and dye it and his hair black and there you have it, Beorn.

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 8 2008, 11:58pm

Post #90 of 203 (1009 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo: William H. Macy

Gandalf: Clint Eastwood

Thorin Oakenshield: Ben Kingsley

The Dwarves: Deep Roy

The Trolls: Chevy Chase, Steve Martin, and Martin Short

The Great Goblin: David Bowie

Beorn: Liam Neeson

King Thranduil: Stellan Skarsgård

Bard the Bowman: Joseph Fiennes

Smaug: Eartha Kitt

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Jan 9 2008, 12:09am

Post #91 of 203 (1002 views)
Shortcut
I believe in the best actors [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the accent can be acted.

I am less worried about being accurate to the letter about Smaug and more concerned that he 'feel' right for a movie viewer, which I realize is going to make some folks crazy.

He should feel aged but not old (meaning not decrepit or tired or worn out).

He should sound a little in-human.

He should sound powerful.

He should sound as if his rage is barely in check. He is after all the destroyer of kingdoms and races and soon after he talks to Bilgo, lakes cities as well.

He should sound dangerous.

Your question is VERY good but I must go catch a train but would later love to read other thoughts on it.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

hobbitgoddess
The Shire

Jan 9 2008, 12:30am

Post #92 of 203 (985 views)
Shortcut
Good guestions.. . [In reply to] Can't Post

Fili and Kili I have been thinking about and am looking for actors who resemble what myself and one of my teachers think they should look like. And since I don't know many actors, I ill have to crack down on the movies two. I wish I could remember names...and movie names...

But as for how they would look. I know how I picture them is way off. 20's would not work with Tolkien. But thats what my mind has settled on. I need the films to get that out.

Bombur, though I hate to say it , I pictured someone like Robbie Coltrane. This was before I saw Harry Potter. So unless they put just as much make-up on him as they did John (which I think I've heard they are cutting back on that) it will be a "Hey look! Hagrid!" case. He would still work though. They're are way too many Harry Potter actors suggestions. It's crazy.

For the trolls, I have another idea that has stuck, and that would be the animated version voices. Can't help it. Saw the movie before reading the book, and watched it as many times (before reading the book). But I think that works. Or a Norwegian accent dumbed down. I don't picture any kind of troll as smart. They would be a step up from the LOTR trolls. in the evolution line. And more bullish (for lack of a better word). LOTR trolls, feel sorry for them. These trolls you can't.
And! One thing thats been going through my mind is will they keep the same design from LOTR? We only saw a little bit of them, but thats enough to leave an impression on the people. At least to me.

The spiders are tough. Theres always the generic hissing hazy voice they use for spiders. That wouldn't work with these guys. It's just doesn't feel like Tolkien.

Forgot about the Mayor. But thats why I'm rereading. Get back to you on him. And I don't think they'd take him out. He is in Laketown. Tom was a random stop. Then again it is Hollywood. If they had it their way, the mayor would run off with some girl and come back to be with Bard and get busy. Or some screwed up romance would be in there.

Also, if they are doing a before-LOTR movie, then will the Viggo be coming back?

Have you hugged your hobbit today?

For pony

fmaximus
Rivendell

Jan 9 2008, 1:00am

Post #93 of 203 (962 views)
Shortcut
Glorfindel ?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Nobody's mentioned Glorfindel that I know of, which surprises me as he is one of the more popular Elves that was alive during this time.
He has to be in at least one of the films, especially since he was left out of the trilogy.

Who's with me on this one Smile

Oh, I almost forgot.

Jonathan Rhys-Meyers would make a good Glorfindel IMO.

(This post was edited by fmaximus on Jan 9 2008, 1:04am)

Annael
Half-elven

Jan 9 2008, 1:22am

Post #94 of 203 (962 views)
Shortcut
Kevin McKidd! [In reply to] Can't Post

how did I forget him? Great choice for Bard.

And Ray Stevenson for Beorn???

David Warner for Smaug would be good too, but Robert Lindsay's got a deeper voice.

To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.

- William Blake
NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 9 2008, 1:42am

Post #95 of 203 (1004 views)
Shortcut
Blooming Boyds? [In reply to] Can't Post

What blew my mind is how many films I'd seen McKellen, Mortensen, Tyler, and Blanchette in, but never really noticed them until LotR. I hadn't seen the Beanster around, either... and I consider myself a pretty serious movie-watcher. JRD, Ian Holm, Sean Astin and Elijah were well-known to me, and they're the ones I have to keep pushing my familiarity to the back of my brain. For that reason alone, tested and talented players that are not so well-known work best for my obsessive tendencies ;)

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

My DragonCon 07 Report

My JRRT Map Moot Report

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Jan 9 2008, 3:30am

Post #96 of 203 (956 views)
Shortcut
Figurative speech [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Gandalf clearly states in The Fellowship of the Ring to Bilbo..."You haven't aged a day..." inferring that he hadn't aged a day since their last adventure. I think Ian Holm will be used for Bilbo or at least should be. He hasn't aged that much since LOTR's not to use him...never know. :)

Bilbo has clearly aged. It's just a figurative expression to say how well conserved he is.

Let it be heard! We want Jackson to direct The Hobbit!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

Anthronaut

Jan 9 2008, 4:30am

Post #97 of 203 (1006 views)
Shortcut
Ian Holm [In reply to] Can't Post

I disagree because Gandalf appears surprised when he says it. Also there is a scene already in the movies of Ian Holm as Bilbo finding the One Ring while Gollum screams...Looooosssttt...my precious is lost.

In Reply To

In Reply To

Bilbo has clearly aged. It's just a figurative expression to say how well conserved he is.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jan 9 2008, 5:36am

Post #98 of 203 (933 views)
Shortcut
Do the Trolls toss Bilbo into a singing bush? // [In reply to] Can't Post

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us Jan. 7-13 for "Strider".

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jan 9 2008, 5:40am

Post #99 of 203 (942 views)
Shortcut
Wait a minute. [In reply to] Can't Post

Whoa... déjà vu.

Sorry, didn't mean to be a "johnny one-note", to use Silverlode's term.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us Jan. 7-13 for "Strider".

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Jan 9 2008, 6:07am

Post #100 of 203 (944 views)
Shortcut
I have to say it [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome to all the newbies! Holy cow, there's a lot of names I don't recognize. I look forward to getting to know you all better!

Where's Frodo?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.