SAST Quiz #2
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Feb 4 2013, 7:48pm

Post #1 of 47 (1450 views)
Shortcut
SAST Quiz #2 Can't Post

*Ro tiptoes in with a flashlight* Shhh, everyone! There might be dragons! Welcome, one and all, to Quiz #2! This week we’re doing Chapter 13, Not at Home. Don’t forget your flashlight (or torch, if you’re so inclined)! As always, the quiz is absolutely CLOSED BOOK, which means anyone caught sneaking a peek at someone else’s answers (or the book!) will have their flesh melted right off their bones by dragon-fire: think furnace, with wings! Quiz will close in 72 hours (3 days), after which answers and results will be posted in this thread. Ready, then? Off you go! *hands out cans of dragon-repellent, just in case*

*Ro sits down at the edge of the tunnel to watch the explorations, trying hard not to think about Thorin’s hair shining in the torchlight*

1. Which two dwarves get sent back up the tunnel to fetch lights, before B ilbo starts his explorations?

2. As Bilbo climbs the great mound of treasure inside the hall, he finds something amongst the treasure and pockets it. What is this thing he finds?

3. After Bilbo climbs down the great mound of treasure, what causes him to fall backwards and drop his torch?

4. What does Thorin give Bilbo as the first payment of his reward?

5. After the Company leaves the underground palace through the Front Gate, they head for a place some five hours’ march away. What is this place to which they head, where they then camp for the night?

The Prancing Pony
Rivendell

Feb 4 2013, 8:10pm

Post #2 of 47 (1128 views)
Shortcut
I've been looking forward to this [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Thorin, and he doesn't need to be accompanied, he's got his hair.
2. The arkenstone
3. He's starving. There was no time for elevensees.
4. Something that is worth more than half the shire - a mithril coat.
5. Whatever it's name, you must not be too particular when you're starving.

Hm, at least I have not been burnt ... very helpful indeed. Thag you very buch for making these Smile

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

(This post was edited by The Prancing Pony on Feb 4 2013, 8:12pm)

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Feb 4 2013, 8:41pm

Post #3 of 47 (1130 views)
Shortcut
***Answers and Results from Quiz #1*** [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's the link for Quiz 1 Answers and Results, in case you missed it.

Eowyn3
Rivendell

Feb 4 2013, 8:42pm

Post #4 of 47 (1106 views)
Shortcut
SAST # 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Fili and Kili (they always get the unwanted jobs)

2. The Arkenstone

3. A jack-in-the-box surprises him and he falls backwards.

4. Mithril armor.

5. The outpost.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Feb 4 2013, 8:44pm

Post #5 of 47 (1129 views)
Shortcut
Answers! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Fili and Kili.

Yes, I realize the standing instructions for the quiz suggest that when in doubt (which I am on this one) I should say "Thorin", but firstly, unless Thorin and Thorin's hair count as two Dwarves, there is (sadly) only one of him, and secondly, what I do recall from the book is that when errands needed to be run it was generally by those two, since the other Dwarves envied their good looks. (Oh wait, am I getting Hobbit confused with Cinderella? Maybe it was their relative youth that got them sent on errands?)

2. The Arkenstone.

3. Smaug snoring with especial loudness.

4. Thorin. You do this on purpose, don't you?! In the interest of remaining family-friendly, my official answer is instead, a light chain mail shirt made of mithril links.

5. They head for the ruins of Dale? (Yes, that is my answer, I'm just asking because I have no recollection at all, and Thorin makes no sense as an answer).

Elessar
Valinor

Feb 4 2013, 8:48pm

Post #6 of 47 (1134 views)
Shortcut
Here we go [In reply to] Can't Post

Try to keep the ball rollin

1. Which two dwarves get sent back up the tunnel to fetch lights, before B ilbo starts his explorations?

Balin and Dori

2. As Bilbo climbs the great mound of treasure inside the hall, he finds something amongst the treasure and pockets it. What is this thing he finds?

The Arkenstone

3. After Bilbo climbs down the great mound of treasure, what causes him to fall backwards and drop his torch?

He trips over a raised stone in the floor

A mithril coat

5. After the Company leaves the underground palace through the Front Gate, they head for a place some five hours’ march away. What is this place to which they head, where they then camp for the night?

The old look out post in the southwest corner of the Mountain

Angharad73
Rohan

Feb 4 2013, 9:03pm

Post #7 of 47 (1114 views)
Shortcut
Oooh, tricksy... [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Not Fili and Kili, this time... I think it was Oin and Gloin instead, the ones who always light fires.

2. The lost diadem of Rowena Ravenclaw? No? Been reading Harry Potter again, I admit. Okay then, seriousely, he finds the Arkenstone and pockets it, even though he should know better.

3. A bat fluttering about, I think. Otherwise, dragon drool?

4. The mithril shirt that he later passes on to Frodo, pretty sure of it.

5. Ugh, was that some sort of guard house on the mountain?

How did I do? Blush

(This post was edited by Angharad73 on Feb 4 2013, 9:08pm)

CuriousG
Half-elven

Feb 4 2013, 10:45pm

Post #8 of 47 (1097 views)
Shortcut
Some useless answers [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Which two dwarves get sent back up the tunnel to fetch lights, before Bilbo starts his explorations?
Sleepy and Grumpy

A second One Ring

Smaug pushed him, the jerk.

Stock options

A national forest camping ground where fires are strictly forbidden, hence no danger of dragons.

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Feb 4 2013, 10:59pm

Post #9 of 47 (1093 views)
Shortcut
Tough questions...:) [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Oin and Gloin. It took them a while though, because the batteries had died and they needed to put in fresh ones. Next time they should pack Durincell.

2. A piece of the True Cross, the Holy Grail, some chocolate coins, and the Arkenstone.

3. A bit of the carpet had frayed and Bilbo tripped over that, after seeing bats.

4. Mr. T's gold neck chains, a coat of mithril with a jeweled belt, and a fancy helm.

5. Thrushville, also interchangeable (according to Oin) with Ravenhill.

'"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!" he said to himself, and it became a favourite saying of his later, and passed into a proverb.'

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Feb 4 2013, 11:01pm

Post #10 of 47 (1098 views)
Shortcut
I almost forgot the extra credit question: [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin.

Tongue

'"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!" he said to himself, and it became a favourite saying of his later, and passed into a proverb.'

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Feb 4 2013, 11:30pm

Post #11 of 47 (1098 views)
Shortcut
Second set of SAST answers EVAH! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Which two dwarves get sent back up the tunnel to fetch lights, before Bilbo starts his exploration?

Fili and Kili. But actually they were faking it--they let their stunt doubles do the real work. Milli and Vanilli sued shortly after, and things sadly didn't end well for anyone.

The Arkenstone! A treasure amazing to behold, provided that the beholder was purely without sin. Those less immaculate of spirit who dared look upon the miniature Ark of the Covenant frozen within the stone tended to find themselves abruptly de-boned.

Tripped on a gold cup. Good thing it wasn't made of wood--that's the cup of a carpenter! (see answer #2 above).

A mail shirt of fine mithril, the strongest metal ever known in Arda, except for the One Ring itself...which brings up the question, why didn't Sauron pour his malice and cruelty into the One *Shirt*? Or the One *Full Panoply Suit of Bad A** Plate Armor*? Something that wouldn't fall off due to some kid's lucky swing of a broken sword. I mean, I realize hindsight is 20-20 but come on.

Um,...the upper floors within the mountain. Its freakin' huge in there.

A bag is like a hole that you can carry with you.

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_expanded;

Eruwestial37
Rohan

Feb 5 2013, 1:04am

Post #12 of 47 (1070 views)
Shortcut
Still haven't read it recently [In reply to] Can't Post

1) Grumpy and Doc
2) A Winning Lottery Ticket
3) Yoda asking, "Adventure, excitement, a Jedi needs not these things!"
4) A Happy Meal prize
5) Disneyland

http://www.nanowrimo.org/widget/LiveParticipant/727338.png

Bellerock
Rivendell

Feb 5 2013, 2:03am

Post #13 of 47 (1055 views)
Shortcut
This is harders [In reply to] Can't Post

But I'll give it a try.

1) I believe this time it's Oin and Gloin who are sent back for light. They were the fire-starters of the group.

2) The previously-unmentioned Arkenstone which Bilbo finds conveniently lying on top of the pile. Seriously, such an important plot point could have been at least hinted at before.

3) He is startled by a bat. After all, the dragon had to have something to eat when men and dwarves grew scarce, and I can't see Smaug as a vegetarian.

4) A Mithril vest. A truly princely gift.

5) Back to Lake Town because Bilbo forgot his pocket handkerchief.Smile

GwaihirWindLord

Feb 5 2013, 2:03am

Post #14 of 47 (1082 views)
Shortcut
Giving it a go [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Fili and Kili? No idea really, they just seem like the young and spry sort that get sent on errands
2.The Arkenstone
3. A bat
4. The mithril shirt?
5. An old watchtower

Thanks for doing such a great quiz! I've been a longtime TORN fan and forum lurker, but I signed up for the first time to be part of this!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 5 2013, 3:25am

Post #15 of 47 (1055 views)
Shortcut
*in best Elmer Fudd voice* [In reply to] Can't Post

Cawefully, now! We're hunting Wab - er, Dwagons!

1. Which two dwarves get sent back up the tunnel to fetch lights, before Bilbo starts his explorations?
Grumpy and Dopey. They thought Thorin said "fletch flights", and thought he meant for them to catch the thrush for its feathers for their arrows; they found an opening and went out, but didn't realize there was no longer any ledge to stand on - and never returned.
(Fili and Kili)

One of the silver spoons missing from his set - actually, this one had gone missing during the time the set belonged to his grandmother Adamanta's mother. How it ever got there is a mystery, but it hints of dark secrets in Lobelia's family, rumors of her great-great-grandmother who engaged in secret dwarf-trysts.
(The Arkenstone)

Dragon-slime. Smaug's sweat was all over that mound, and as nimble-footed as Bilbo was, he still managed to slip.
(A bat flew close to him)

Ten shares of stock in the Erebor Mithril Mining Company, worthless of course since mithril was only found in Moria, but Bilbo did not know that.
(A mithril-shirt)

The Desolation of Smaug KOA Kampground. Primitive facilities only. Not much in the way of scenery, but there's pleny of ungrassy dirt on which to park your camper, no animals to get into your food, and no bugs to bother you at night. Open fires allowed.
(Ravenhill)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 5 2013, 3:29am

Post #16 of 47 (1043 views)
Shortcut
Amazing! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think we must have read the same chapter...Laugh

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 5 2013, 3:32am

Post #17 of 47 (1045 views)
Shortcut
Really? Just to take part in this quiz? [In reply to] Can't Post

I bow to your geekiness! Cool

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Feb 5 2013, 3:37am

Post #18 of 47 (1046 views)
Shortcut
Tough ones [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Always with the names! who can remember such things? The one with the beard and Thing 2 covers it I think.

2. The Arkenstone, a gem not to be confused with the Kentuckyrock or the Tennesseestud.

3. Medusa's face reflected in a shield.

4. A buck fifty and a Mithrial Shirt of woven mail. Not quite a fourteenth share, but close enough.

5. mmm a tower in the ruined city of Dale? If not, to a line party for the TH:AUJ DVD release.

This is great fun Lady Roheryn, thank you!

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 5 2013, 3:59am

Post #19 of 47 (1041 views)
Shortcut
Yikes - harder questions! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmmmmm..... I think it was Fili and Kili.

Of course, the Arkenstone!

Oh, if I say Thorin, does that work? Gosh, I can't remember. Was it a bird?

The mithril coat. Shiny!

It was a lookout tower.

Thanks, Ro!

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 5 2013, 4:01am

Post #20 of 47 (1040 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Ooo eck - I'm going to guess Fili and Kili as the youngest always get the bum jobs.

2. The Arkenstone! Little did Bilbo know that it can pick up all transmissions on Palantir TV.

3. Gravity.

4. A mithril coat, fit for a Dwarf prince and disco-themed stage productions.

5. The Green Dragon Pub. They wildly underestimated the distance.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Nira
Lorien

Feb 5 2013, 5:27am

Post #21 of 47 (1047 views)
Shortcut
Not at Home [In reply to] Can't Post

This is not a good start...Total guess: Fili and Kili
How about Thorin and the other Thorin? Yeah, that's it, there were two Thorins! I need to study up on the what-dwarf-did-what trivia before the next SAST Quiz.

Arkenstone!!! The Heart of the mountain! Precious stone!
Roughly equal in worth (for Bilbo) to 1/14 of the treasure. Basically, the best thing since Silmarils (sliced bread wasn't invented yet).

A bat flies very near him...crazy bat

FYI: I think bats are cute. Smile

Mithril coat/shirt/small-elven-warrior-top-like-thing. It will later save Frodo from a Goblin captain's spear, but not from Shelob's sting because turtle-necks aren't fashionable.

A rock outcrop lookout place Thorin knew about.
Nice place to gaze up at the stars, plot schemes, and eat cram. Watch out for the bats and bones along the way. Ewww bat guano.

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?"

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 5 2013, 6:36am

Post #22 of 47 (1139 views)
Shortcut
Here you go. [In reply to] Can't Post

Let's do this by a process of elimination:
Thorin: He doesn't do the fetching, he simply IS fetching. He doesn't bring things hither, he simply gives that "come hither" look....shall I go on? Angelic
Balin and Dwalin: Balin snuck all kinds of exception clauses in the small print of his contract, and Dwalin just gives that look. You know the one.
Bifur and Bofur: The sign language for "Bring some torches" looks too much like "Your mother has elf ears" and all Bofur does is laugh when Bifur goes ballistic.
Bombur and Ori: This would be a great comedy act, along the lines of Laurel and Hardy, but nobody is in the right mood.
Oin and Gloin: As the usual fire-starters, you might think they are the logical choice, but you try explaining anything to Oin with his flattened ear trumpet in the dark when he can't read your lips.
Dori and Nori: As a matter of fact, it probably was their turn, but you see....
Fili and Kili: Have lost so many bets with Nori during the journey that they'll be doing all his chores for the next seven years. Go get us some torches, boys!

A needle. And all this time you thought they were only lost in haystacks. Oh, and also this really pretty gem that Thorin wants. Bilbo really is something of a klepto on this adventure, isn't he? Makes Lobelia and the spoons look like poetic justice.

Poor balance.

And also he trips over a golden cup or something like that.

A mithril mail shirt and a rather sissy looking helmet.

The outpost at Ravenhill, which is for the birds and therefore the best place to flock to together. Yes, yes, I was just leaving....

Silverlode

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Feb 5 2013, 6:39am)

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 5 2013, 7:45am

Post #23 of 47 (1053 views)
Shortcut
*Racks brain* [In reply to] Can't Post

1) Fili and Kili - but I might be confused by their roles in the film as dogsbodies now!
2) The Arkenstone, Heart of the Mountain.
3) I can't remember this one. I suppose trying to climb down a mound of treasure would be tricky, though; a bit like trying to climb down a scree slope on a mountain.
4) The mithril coat. Useful present.
5) Er. The riverbank??

Storm clouds

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Feb 5 2013, 8:40am

Post #24 of 47 (1031 views)
Shortcut
Wow, welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

An honor to have SAST as your reason for delurking. Smile I'm glad you've joined us, and I hope you enjoy the fun!

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Feb 5 2013, 8:45am

Post #25 of 47 (1051 views)
Shortcut
Now you've done it. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
1. Fili and Kili.

Yes, I realize the standing instructions for the quiz suggest that when in doubt (which I am on this one) I should say "Thorin", but firstly, unless Thorin and Thorin's hair count as two Dwarves, there is (sadly) only one of him, 4. Thorin. You do this on purpose, don't you?! Angelic

I have to go to bed now wondering how we could manage to get Thorin's hair to count as a second dwarf (it has a life of its own, really!), *and* wondering how much more fun we could have if there were, in fact, two of him. And lest that quickly get un-family-friendly, I shall stop right there. AngelicAngelic

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.