Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond: There and Back Again Challenge!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jan 31 2013, 7:44pm

Post #1 of 30 (1473 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond: There and Back Again Challenge! Can't Post

Greetings again, fellow TORn Walkers! Here we are in the middle of winter/summer, when the weather is so cold/hot, exercising outdoors can be a challenge. Or not, for some of us live in places where the summers/winters are lovely and mild. Whatever the weather, we're sharing the Road with other TORnFolk as we exercise our way through Middle Earth. How are your journeys going this week?

There and Back Again
Group Challenge Progress

Miles covered last week: 86.91
Cumulative miles: 10394.73
Miles along the journey: 692.98
Miles out of Rivendell: 295.98

We're almost 18 miles into Mirkwood Forest, one-tenth of the way through (according to the Eowyn Challege site, it's 180 miles from the western end of the trail to the place where the Dwarves are captured by Thranduil's Elves). According to my edition of The Hobbit, we'll be on page 141 for a while. So to liven the journey a bit over the next few weeks, feel free to mention your favorite action scenes in the books or the movies. They go by so quickly on the Road!

My progress:
Miles covered this week: 6
Cumulative miles: 450
Goal: There and Back Again!

It was a somewhat better week for me, mostly because of contextual exercise. I had a little bit of snow shoveling (finally - I hate droughts) and I've been schlepping cases of Girl Scout cookies; it's good to be the Troop Cookie Manager. Maybe, if I tell myself that often enough, I'll believe it... Crazy

Beamer's progress:
Miles covered this week: 9
Cumulative miles: 447
Goal: Group Challenge

It was PE, dance, and door-to-door Girl Scout cookie sales for Beamer this week, so she's getting some weight-bearing exercise - woohoo!

Arandiel

The Scoop on the Walk
The TORn Walk to Rivendell thread meets right here on Main, on Thursdays.
Learn about TORn's There and Back Again Challenge

The Eowyn Challenge/Walk to Rivendell (and beyond) is a Middle-Earth-related fitness group that began in March 2003, and has been going on with walkers around the world ever since. TORn's Walk is open to all people and healthy types of activity. Please visit the Eowyn Challenge site, especially the main page and the Walk page, for more information. Useful links, including mileage charts compiled by the late Karen Wynn Fonstad, are on the Tools page.
grammaboodawg's awesome site for Bilbo's return mileages from the Lonely Mountain to Bag End, some helpful activity conversion charts, and the Walk to Rivendell's TORn-up Postcards
Notta's Super-Duper Walking-Equivalents Chart
Eowyn Challenge Login Page to register miles

If you use the Eowyn Challenge site to track your progress, please update your mileage via the login page, and be sure to keep a backup record, in case Warg attack, Wizard-induced blizzard, or other fell calamity causes the Shields page to crash.

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 31 2013, 8:52pm

Post #2 of 30 (1259 views)
Shortcut
Chugging along... [In reply to] Can't Post

This week I can contribute 23.5 miles to the group effort.

On my personal journey from Bag End to the Lonely Mountain, this means I'm spending the night at the Bridge Inn before crossing the Brandywine. Next week I should have left the Shire behind...!

More walks in the woods with the dog, and a couple of gym visits too. :)

Angharad73
Rohan

Jan 31 2013, 9:00pm

Post #3 of 30 (1263 views)
Shortcut
A tolerably good week... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's been a fairly good week. I did a lot of actual walking, so most of my miles are really miles that I covered on foot, walking up and down the hills here (why did I have to move to a town that is built on more hills than Rome???). Weather was mostly good, just one day of rain, no snow though - still waiting for that - but we had some ice. I can't wait for Spring, when I can explore some castle ruins again. At the moment a lot of the paths into the 'wilder' areas are closed or too muddy to contemplate.

Mirkwood, eh? That means spiders... big ones... (shudder).

Well, here is my progress report for my second week:

Miles covered this week: 37
Cumulative miles: 51

Miles and miles to go...

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Feb 1 2013, 2:34am

Post #4 of 30 (1259 views)
Shortcut
Good-bye, Shire! [In reply to] Can't Post

At this rate, you'll be in Rivendell before you know it!

Those dog walks in the woods sound wonderful - so nice to have company when venturing into the wilds of Middle Earth! Have a great week, arithmancer!

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

(This post was edited by Arandiel on Feb 1 2013, 2:42am)

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Feb 1 2013, 2:41am

Post #5 of 30 (1275 views)
Shortcut
Okay... hills and castle ruins and rain? [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds wonderful, even with the challenge of going up! The mud, though, reminds me of a weekend I spent in the Isle of Wight years ago. It was Spring, and some of the trails seemed to be made of equal parts water and soil - I got more than a bit dirty, slipping around. So stay dry and have a good week!

Eowyn3
Rivendell

Feb 1 2013, 3:14am

Post #6 of 30 (1265 views)
Shortcut
Two weeks worth of miles [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,
Sorry I forgot to post it last week. I am, however keeping track. I had 42 miles in the last 2 weeks to contribute to the group.

Last two week miles: 42
Total miles: 110

I am right around the Barrow Dawns (shiver)

Delrond
Rohan

Feb 1 2013, 12:16pm

Post #7 of 30 (1255 views)
Shortcut
Two good weeks. [In reply to] Can't Post

Greetings, fellow walkers, runners, treadmillers, skydivers, spelunkers, swimmers and spinsters. Two routine weeks of the running track and circuit training have me chalking up 40 miles. The weather cooperated enough to also get in a couple of outdoor runs through the neighborhood. I may yet catch up to gramma by Rivendell. Laugh Not a whole lot going on for me, but Little D is still active in basketball. His team had two close games the past two Saturdays, winning by 1 and 3. We are thrilled to see his game improve every week. Oh yes, and the annual running of the Pinewood Derby was last Friday. The competition gets tougher each year and he was able to eke out a podium finish amongst his Wolf den, with a nice little trophy to boot. Yay! The only thing I did out of the ordinary this past couple of weeks was change the toilet wax ring in our spare bathroom. What fun that was. Doing it by myself was a challenge and a good 1/2 hour work-out.

I wonder if Punxsutawney Phil will see his shadow tomorrow. Looks like it will be snowing there, so it's highly likely that he won't. If he says he does see it, it may be time to cash him in due to the onset of senility. Or maybe he needs to dial back on the shrooms a little. Shocked

Miles covered since last time: 40.4
Cumulative miles: 1328.8

Beorn is scouting up ahead while we are heading due south. Mirkwood is curving away to the east, while the Great River has been spotted far off in the distance. Just a little over 100 miles to the warm fires of Beorn's house. I hope he's stocked up on marshmallows.

A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Feb 1 2013, 2:11pm

Post #8 of 30 (1250 views)
Shortcut
Pictures, or it never happened! [In reply to] Can't Post

Pinewood Derby, that is. Laugh

Ours is a month from tomorrow. Our cars are still mint in the box. ShockedCrazy

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Delrond
Rohan

Feb 1 2013, 2:30pm

Post #9 of 30 (1253 views)
Shortcut
Your wish is my command. [In reply to] Can't Post

Would you like an action shot of me removing the old wax ring? Laugh

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Feb 1 2013, 2:43pm

Post #10 of 30 (1251 views)
Shortcut
Aww, so cute! [In reply to] Can't Post

You know, he will now expect to win every time. That's what happened with The Little Goblin. Mr. Eruvande made him a car when he was 3 to race in the open class. It came in third, and he got a trophy. So now he thinks he is going to win each year. No pressure or anything on Mr. Eruvande. Laugh

I'll pass on the wax ring picture. I believe you. Laugh

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Delrond
Rohan

Feb 1 2013, 3:09pm

Post #11 of 30 (1241 views)
Shortcut
No pressure. [In reply to] Can't Post

He actually won in his Tiger den last year. This year's 3rd place Wolf den effort was a disappointment to him, but he still finds the whole PWD his favorite CS activity of the year. We are working on the good sportsmanship thing, which is never-ending. I think you can relate to that. Laugh

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Feb 2 2013, 4:30am

Post #12 of 30 (1245 views)
Shortcut
Ooh, I hope you get outta there quick! [In reply to] Can't Post

And no worries - skipping a week posting is no biggie - it probably means you were doing something more active! (which means you can fill us in on it the next time you post Wink)

(This post was edited by Arandiel on Feb 2 2013, 4:31am)

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Feb 2 2013, 4:40am

Post #13 of 30 (1225 views)
Shortcut
Sound like life at a fast pace [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially for Little D! Congrats to him on placing in the Pinewood Derby (even if it wasn't as spectacular as his Tiger car). My Hobbit did something similar - won as a Tiger, placed another year. And the sportsmanship thing? it's a process, not an event, but it does trend better over the years. It's hard to believe my kid's going to join Boy Scouts soon!

I hope your next week's strength training is more pleasant! (toilet wax ring? Crazy, though it could've been worse...)

sherlock
Gondor

Feb 2 2013, 11:34am

Post #14 of 30 (1245 views)
Shortcut
I'm back [In reply to] Can't Post

I walked four blocks with my dog yesterday morning. I know it's not much but my dog has been sick & couldn't go on walks for a long time. I used to take step class at a center near by but when they dropped the step format & moved further away in September 2012 I found that I just wasn't motivated to go there anymore. I've just gotten around to canceling my membership there & am thinking about trying a new gym. Will let you all know how that goes next week.

Iolani
Rivendell

Feb 3 2013, 3:18pm

Post #15 of 30 (1220 views)
Shortcut
Almost forgot! Here's my mileage! [In reply to] Can't Post

Miles last week: 12
Cumulative: 861.6
Goal: There and Back Again Group Challenge!

Keep going strong, everybody!! CoolHeart

"It's like in the great stories Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And you didn't want to know the end...for how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But then you realize in the end it's just a passing thing, this shadow. A new day will come! And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stuck with you, that meant something. Even if you were too small to understand. But I think Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. The folk in those stories a lot of chances of turnin' back only they didn't. They kept going, because they were holdin' on to something."
"What are we holding onto, Sam?"
"That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it's worth fighting for!"

Joe-Mathews
Rivendell

Feb 3 2013, 5:10pm

Post #16 of 30 (1212 views)
Shortcut
Week 5 [In reply to] Can't Post

I seem to have forgotten to post last week. I also found a math error in my walking records. :(

Miles since last post: 4.67
Total Miles: (warm-up an goal): 98.27
Personal Goal: Erebor - contributing to group
Goal Mileage: 18.17 (948.83 to go)

I hope Phil the Groundhog was right. I can't wait for Spring!

'There is some woe that lies upon you... Why will you not tell me more?'
'For that woe is past,' said Galadriel; 'and I would take what joy is here left, untroubled by memory. And maybe there is woe enough yet to come, thought still hope may seem bright.'

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 3 2013, 6:05pm

Post #17 of 30 (1212 views)
Shortcut
Howdy Walkers! [In reply to] Can't Post

I finally made it :D

The winter cold has definitely cut my country-road walking down, but I've been making up for it with a pretty intense exercise program... home grown, fersher :) I've been trying to lose some weight before going the TORn's Oscar Party in LA the weekend of February 22nd... and it's (as usual) a "losing" battle. Ah well. It's kept me stronger if not thinner. Putting on nearly 15 lbs due to steroids over a year ago makes this an a-typical problem. It's not necessarily fat, it's... as my doctor says... mutant cells! *ponders* Whatever ;) I just want my dress to fit! Can't afford to buy another one.

That said, I've really made progress with Gandalf and Bilbo as we travel to Rivendell from Beorn's home. We've left the Misty Mountains behind and are travelling along the road at a leisurely pace. We can't wait to see the Last Homely House in the next few weeks.

A favourite action part of the book or film? There are so many! In the film, I just love watching Bilbo fight the goblin as he using Sting for the first time. He's so heroic to set himself to follow the goblins and captured dwarves only to find himself in a one-to-one death battle! His reflexes of blocking the goblin's sword, taking a hit to the face, and keeping his head is so awesome! It gives me goosebumps every time I see it! No training (that we know of). No experience. BAM... he takes care of business.

Thanks for keeping us on the road, Arandiel! Keep Warm! *peers into monitor* That goes for ALL OF YOU OUT THERE :)

Miles covered: 23
Cumulated miles: 1691
Goal: #2 Unexpected Journey Individual Challenge and contributing to the Group :)

First draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated list coming soon

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Eowyn3
Rivendell

Feb 3 2013, 6:24pm

Post #18 of 30 (1199 views)
Shortcut
You are sooo lucky! [In reply to] Can't Post

To be going to the LA party. Wish I could go too. Maybe I can save money to go for the last movie of the trilogy. Have lots of fun!Smile

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 3 2013, 7:04pm

Post #19 of 30 (1205 views)
Shortcut
Stay at as many Inns as you can! [In reply to] Can't Post

We spend so many nights in the wild... roofs and rooms are always good to grab whenever you can ;)

Have a great week!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 3 2013, 7:05pm

Post #20 of 30 (1202 views)
Shortcut
A spider-free spring [In reply to] Can't Post

really does sound great! Have a wonderful week!! :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 3 2013, 7:06pm

Post #21 of 30 (1210 views)
Shortcut
oooo... the Barrow Downs! [In reply to] Can't Post

Be sure not to stop and take a nap ;)

Have a great week!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 3 2013, 7:08pm

Post #22 of 30 (1204 views)
Shortcut
Wax Ring and Trophies :D [In reply to] Can't Post

What a fantastic mixture!! Well Done!

I've got to play with one of those Rings, myself. *sigh* I'll have to "plunge" into it soon ;)

Have a wonderful week!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 3 2013, 7:10pm

Post #23 of 30 (1202 views)
Shortcut
Darn... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's hard enough to participate in programs like that, but to lose one without any choice is a bummer.

I'm so glad you're feeling well enough to get out for a walk... and I'll bet your pup is, too!

Have a great week, sherlock :)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 3 2013, 7:13pm

Post #24 of 30 (1198 views)
Shortcut
Howdy Iolani! [In reply to] Can't Post

I almost forgot, too! I think our priorities are a bit askew ;)

Have a great week!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 3 2013, 7:15pm

Post #25 of 30 (1205 views)
Shortcut
I think Phil's got it right :D [In reply to] Can't Post

At least little Philippa that lives in my yard didn't see her shadow... so I'm COUNTING ON IT!

I have gotten my totals messed up so many times that I'm constantly check them! Math/numbers and I are not friends ;)

Have a great week!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.