Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond: There and Back Again Challenge!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jun 14 2012, 5:50pm

Views: 509
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond: There and Back Again Challenge! Can't Post

It's another week, another update on the Walk to Rivendell and, oh, it's good to be back! Many thanks to grammaboodawg for keeping the thread going last week while I was off in the wilds of New York and DC (along with New Jersey, the Chesapeake Bay and Philadelphia, just for good measure). Some of you have seen this a few weeks ago, but for those of you who haven't, we have an update to the There and Back Again Challenge! So invite your friends to join us as we go the distance!

There and Back Again Challenge
TORnFolks, our mission is simple: get 13 rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard and a beleaguered Hobbit all 967 miles from Bag End to the Lonely Mountain, and the Wizard and the Hobbit all 1098 miles from the Lonely Mountain back to Bag End by the premiere of The Hobbit: There and Back Again on December 13, 2013.

How, you ask? Our Challenge is in three parts, a Group Challenge and two Individual Challenges. You can choose to participate in just the Group Challenge or add an Individual Challenge if you want to.

There and Back Again Group Challenge
Bilbo, the Dwarves and Gandalf traveled roughly 14,505 cumulative miles from Bag End to the Lonely Mountain, and Bilbo and Gandalf traveled about 2196 cumulative miles from the Lonely Mountain to Bag End.* For us to get them there and back, we'll need to log a group average of about 145 miles per week to reach their destination by December 2013. So far, we're averaging about 170 miles per week, so we're on track to reach our goal!

Unexpected Journey Individual Challenge
Want to set yourself a goal as well as helping the group? How about following Bilbo's 967-mile journey from Bag End to the Lonely Mountain!

There and Back Again Individual Challenge
Want something more ambitious? Travel the 2065-mile Bag End-Lonely Mountain-Bag End round trip with Bilbo!

Helpful tools
In the revised Scoop on the Walk section below, you'll find links to helpful info, including the Eowyn Challenge website for mileage charts to the Lonely Mountain and a mileage tracker; Notta's activity mileage conversion charts; and gramma's awesome site, which includes the TORn-Up Postcards, more activity conversion charts and (cue the angelic choir) the mileage chart of Bilbo's journey from the Lonely Mountain home to Bag End. Yeah!

There and Back Again
Group Challenge Progress

Miles covered last week: (31 May) 322.7, (7 June) 315.64
Cumulative miles: 7233.99
Miles along the journey: 482.27
Miles out of Rivendell: 85.27
Gandalf and Thorin are currently fighting off Goblins, and Bilbo is about to be accidentally left behind; and we all know what sort of trouble
that leads to... So in honor of his upcoming battle of wits with Gollum (at mile 107.5 according to the Eowyn Challenge site), why not share your favorite riddle some time in the next couple weeks?

My progress:
Miles covered this week: 20
Cumulative miles: 310
Goal: There and Back Again!
Wonderful trip, lots of walking around and standing, looking at stuff. I was on a ferry to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty during my Commencement ceremony; not a bad way to play hooky! The bad news is, that little pain I'd been ignoring in my foot flared up again, what with all that hiking and standing on concrete, so my doctor has grounded me from walking while I recover from plantar fasciitis. boo. His recommendation was that I use my bike instead but there's a little thing called the High Park fire going on right now (here's Aunt Dora's post about it) that's compromised our air quality and I can't afford an indoor bike trainer stand. sigh. I'm going to dig out the exercise DVD that came with my stability ball, try doing some other non-standing types of exercise. On balance, it makes the cancellation of my Hobbit's Cub Scout Camp this weekend due to the fire rather timely.

Beamer's progress:
Miles covered this week: 22
Cumulative miles: 302
Goal: Group Challenge
Now, if she'll just stay active!

Arandiel

The Scoop on the Walk
The TORn Walk to Rivendell thread meets right here on Main, on Thursdays.
Learn about TORn's There and Back Again Challenge

The Eowyn Challenge/Walk to Rivendell (and beyond) is a Middle-Earth-related fitness group that began in March 2003, and has been going on with walkers around the world ever since. TORn's Walk is open to all people and healthy types of activity. Please visit the Eowyn Challenge site, especially the main page and the Walk page, for more information. Useful links, including mileage charts compiled by the late Karen Wynn Fonstad, are on the Tools page.
grammaboodawg's awesomely awesome site for
Bilbo's return mileages from the Lonely Mountain to Bag End, some helpful activity conversion charts, and the Walk to Rivendell's TORn-up Postcards
Notta's Super-Duper Walking-Equivalents Chart
Eowyn Challenge Login Page to register miles

If you use the Eowyn Challenge site to track your progress, please update your mileage via the login page, and be sure to keep a backup record, in case Warg attack, Wizard-induced blizzard, or other fell calamity causes the Shields page to crash.

*Bilbo traveled 967 miles from Bag End to the Lonely Mountain. 967 mi x 15 people = 14,505 miles; however, the Dwarves traveled somewhat less than 967 miles, according to the Eowyn Challenge site - they didn't visit Gollum or make all the errand-runs around the Lonely Mountain, for example - and Gandalf's wanderings in The Hobbit are hard to track for a layperson like myself. Bilbo and Gandalf traveled 1098 miles from the Lonely Mountain to Bag End. 1098 mi x 2 people = 2196 miles. So, after applying a mathematical technique I like to call "I think I'm somewhere in the ballpark, and they had all that running around bashing each other about during the Battle of the Five Armies," I arrived at about 16701 cumulative miles, which, divided by 116 weeks, averages out to just under 144 miles per week.

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - getting thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit from Bag End to the Lonely Mountain by December 2012; and that same much enriched Hobbit back to Bag End by December 2013

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

Subject User Time
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond: There and Back Again Challenge! Arandiel Send a private message to Arandiel Jun 14 2012, 5:50pm
    Hi there! Arwen's daughter Send a private message to Arwen's daughter Jun 14 2012, 7:55pm
        On to the mountain!! grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Jun 15 2012, 4:37pm
        Yaay! Let's hear it for progress! Arandiel Send a private message to Arandiel Jun 15 2012, 9:51pm
    Progress, Early June JRandomRohirrim01 Send a private message to JRandomRohirrim01 Jun 15 2012, 2:04pm
        Excellent! grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Jun 15 2012, 4:40pm
        Alaska - now, that'll be a beautiful way to add miles! Arandiel Send a private message to Arandiel Jun 15 2012, 9:53pm
    Welcome Back, Arandiel!!! and 6 MONTHS TO GO!!! :D grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Jun 15 2012, 4:36pm
        Well, six months plus a year - Arandiel Send a private message to Arandiel Jun 15 2012, 10:06pm
            Omigosh! dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Jun 20 2012, 10:21am
    welcome back! Iolani Send a private message to Iolani Jun 16 2012, 4:10pm
        *high five* grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Jun 17 2012, 11:52pm
        Thanks! I'm getting better - Arandiel Send a private message to Arandiel Jun 20 2012, 4:01am
    Cub Scout Day camp mileage Alassa Eruvande Send a private message to Alassa Eruvande Jun 18 2012, 2:39am
        Who wants to see the ginormous man-eating tomato worm I caught? Alassa Eruvande Send a private message to Alassa Eruvande Jun 18 2012, 3:07am
            Wonderfully nasty Radhruin Send a private message to Radhruin Jun 18 2012, 3:23am
            ACK! *cough* ROFL! dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Jun 18 2012, 3:37am
            Whoa! Iolani Send a private message to Iolani Jun 20 2012, 10:11pm
        Well-earned mileage indeed! And cool (icky!) hornworm Arandiel Send a private message to Arandiel Jun 20 2012, 4:07am
            LOL! I didn't give him the chance! Alassa Eruvande Send a private message to Alassa Eruvande Jun 20 2012, 3:25pm
    yes late again :( bearagorn Send a private message to bearagorn Jun 19 2012, 9:15am
        Good mileage grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Jun 19 2012, 4:19pm
        No worries, and thanks, it is getting better Arandiel Send a private message to Arandiel Jun 20 2012, 4:10am
    Can I still join in? Dame Ioreth Send a private message to Dame Ioreth Sep 4 2013, 12:38am
        Yes, please do join us! Arandiel Send a private message to Arandiel Sep 6 2013, 3:58pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.