Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond: There and Back Again Challenge!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jun 14 2012, 5:50pm

Post #1 of 25 (624 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond: There and Back Again Challenge! Can't Post

It's another week, another update on the Walk to Rivendell and, oh, it's good to be back! Many thanks to grammaboodawg for keeping the thread going last week while I was off in the wilds of New York and DC (along with New Jersey, the Chesapeake Bay and Philadelphia, just for good measure). Some of you have seen this a few weeks ago, but for those of you who haven't, we have an update to the There and Back Again Challenge! So invite your friends to join us as we go the distance!

There and Back Again Challenge
TORnFolks, our mission is simple: get 13 rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard and a beleaguered Hobbit all 967 miles from Bag End to the Lonely Mountain, and the Wizard and the Hobbit all 1098 miles from the Lonely Mountain back to Bag End by the premiere of The Hobbit: There and Back Again on December 13, 2013.

How, you ask? Our Challenge is in three parts, a Group Challenge and two Individual Challenges. You can choose to participate in just the Group Challenge or add an Individual Challenge if you want to.

There and Back Again Group Challenge
Bilbo, the Dwarves and Gandalf traveled roughly 14,505 cumulative miles from Bag End to the Lonely Mountain, and Bilbo and Gandalf traveled about 2196 cumulative miles from the Lonely Mountain to Bag End.* For us to get them there and back, we'll need to log a group average of about 145 miles per week to reach their destination by December 2013. So far, we're averaging about 170 miles per week, so we're on track to reach our goal!

Unexpected Journey Individual Challenge
Want to set yourself a goal as well as helping the group? How about following Bilbo's 967-mile journey from Bag End to the Lonely Mountain!

There and Back Again Individual Challenge
Want something more ambitious? Travel the 2065-mile Bag End-Lonely Mountain-Bag End round trip with Bilbo!

Helpful tools
In the revised Scoop on the Walk section below, you'll find links to helpful info, including the Eowyn Challenge website for mileage charts to the Lonely Mountain and a mileage tracker; Notta's activity mileage conversion charts; and gramma's awesome site, which includes the TORn-Up Postcards, more activity conversion charts and (cue the angelic choir) the mileage chart of Bilbo's journey from the Lonely Mountain home to Bag End. Yeah!

There and Back Again
Group Challenge Progress

Miles covered last week: (31 May) 322.7, (7 June) 315.64
Cumulative miles: 7233.99
Miles along the journey: 482.27
Miles out of Rivendell: 85.27
Gandalf and Thorin are currently fighting off Goblins, and Bilbo is about to be accidentally left behind; and we all know what sort of trouble
that leads to... So in honor of his upcoming battle of wits with Gollum (at mile 107.5 according to the Eowyn Challenge site), why not share your favorite riddle some time in the next couple weeks?

My progress:
Miles covered this week: 20
Cumulative miles: 310
Goal: There and Back Again!
Wonderful trip, lots of walking around and standing, looking at stuff. I was on a ferry to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty during my Commencement ceremony; not a bad way to play hooky! The bad news is, that little pain I'd been ignoring in my foot flared up again, what with all that hiking and standing on concrete, so my doctor has grounded me from walking while I recover from plantar fasciitis. boo. His recommendation was that I use my bike instead but there's a little thing called the High Park fire going on right now (here's Aunt Dora's post about it) that's compromised our air quality and I can't afford an indoor bike trainer stand. sigh. I'm going to dig out the exercise DVD that came with my stability ball, try doing some other non-standing types of exercise. On balance, it makes the cancellation of my Hobbit's Cub Scout Camp this weekend due to the fire rather timely.

Beamer's progress:
Miles covered this week: 22
Cumulative miles: 302
Goal: Group Challenge
Now, if she'll just stay active!

Arandiel

The Scoop on the Walk
The TORn Walk to Rivendell thread meets right here on Main, on Thursdays.
Learn about TORn's There and Back Again Challenge

The Eowyn Challenge/Walk to Rivendell (and beyond) is a Middle-Earth-related fitness group that began in March 2003, and has been going on with walkers around the world ever since. TORn's Walk is open to all people and healthy types of activity. Please visit the Eowyn Challenge site, especially the main page and the Walk page, for more information. Useful links, including mileage charts compiled by the late Karen Wynn Fonstad, are on the Tools page.
grammaboodawg's awesomely awesome site for
Bilbo's return mileages from the Lonely Mountain to Bag End, some helpful activity conversion charts, and the Walk to Rivendell's TORn-up Postcards
Notta's Super-Duper Walking-Equivalents Chart
Eowyn Challenge Login Page to register miles

If you use the Eowyn Challenge site to track your progress, please update your mileage via the login page, and be sure to keep a backup record, in case Warg attack, Wizard-induced blizzard, or other fell calamity causes the Shields page to crash.

*Bilbo traveled 967 miles from Bag End to the Lonely Mountain. 967 mi x 15 people = 14,505 miles; however, the Dwarves traveled somewhat less than 967 miles, according to the Eowyn Challenge site - they didn't visit Gollum or make all the errand-runs around the Lonely Mountain, for example - and Gandalf's wanderings in The Hobbit are hard to track for a layperson like myself. Bilbo and Gandalf traveled 1098 miles from the Lonely Mountain to Bag End. 1098 mi x 2 people = 2196 miles. So, after applying a mathematical technique I like to call "I think I'm somewhere in the ballpark, and they had all that running around bashing each other about during the Battle of the Five Armies," I arrived at about 16701 cumulative miles, which, divided by 116 weeks, averages out to just under 144 miles per week.

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - getting thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit from Bag End to the Lonely Mountain by December 2012; and that same much enriched Hobbit back to Bag End by December 2013

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jun 14 2012, 7:55pm

Post #2 of 25 (303 views)
Shortcut
Hi there! [In reply to] Can't Post

Scale is moving in the right direction again this week and I'm now 11 pounds away from my goal weight.

Miles this week: 24
Cumulative: 656

I'm about 11 miles outside of Mirkwood now. I've never picked which challenge I'm participating in (other than contributing to the group) because I wasn't sure how long I'd be keeping the exercise up. I think now I want to commit to getting to the Lonely Mountain for sure. That should keep me motivated to keep working out whenever I finally do hit my goal.

How will you get to the Lonely Mountain?
Help TORn log enough miles to get us to Smaug's home and back by Dec. 2013
Walk to Rivendell - Thursdays on Main

My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

JRandomRohirrim01
The Shire

Jun 15 2012, 2:04pm

Post #3 of 25 (296 views)
Shortcut
Progress, Early June [In reply to] Can't Post

As of Thursday, I'd walked 12 miles in June (drove 11 hours twice so missed 2 days of walking).

Total miles since 2003: 883 (past Lothlorien)

I'll make it to Rauros either in late June or July. We're about to take a vacation which will involve kayaking, hiking & walking on glaciers - Alaska!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 15 2012, 4:36pm

Post #4 of 25 (291 views)
Shortcut
Welcome Back, Arandiel!!! and 6 MONTHS TO GO!!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow! You did go places and do things! Fantastic! I'm glad you had fun, but sad that your foot is acting up on you. IT FIGURES! And those fires are terrifying. They're like a monster eating up the land! STAY SAFE!

Great news in the updates! We're really cranking right along :)

I'm almost done floating along in the barrel with Bilbo and the others. Pretty soon we'll be wined and dined by some very pleasant natives. Till then it's eating dramamine and trying to stay dry!

I hope everyone is enjoying their adventures! See you on the road!

Miles covered: 22
Cumulated miles: 878
Goal: #2 Unexpected Journey Individual Challenge and contributing to the Group :)
Weeks to go: 26 until December 14, 2012

EXACTLY 6 MONTHS TO GO!!!! *twitch*

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 15 2012, 4:37pm

Post #5 of 25 (282 views)
Shortcut
On to the mountain!! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a worthwhile goal, fersher! CONGRATS on the scale finally cooperating! It makes it easier to deal with the sacrificing and work if the scale does its job ;)

Hang in there, m'dear!

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 15 2012, 4:40pm

Post #6 of 25 (269 views)
Shortcut
Excellent! [In reply to] Can't Post

That vacation will definitely put some miles under your feet :) WELL DONE!!! *high five*

sample

Unused Scenes

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jun 15 2012, 9:51pm

Post #7 of 25 (270 views)
Shortcut
Yaay! Let's hear it for progress! [In reply to] Can't Post

You'll meet your goals (weight and distance) for sure - what determination!

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - getting thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit from Bag End to the Lonely Mountain by December 2012; and that same much enriched Hobbit back to Bag End by December 2013

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jun 15 2012, 9:53pm

Post #8 of 25 (269 views)
Shortcut
Alaska - now, that'll be a beautiful way to add miles! [In reply to] Can't Post

Enjoy, and please tell us all about it when you return!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jun 15 2012, 10:06pm

Post #9 of 25 (261 views)
Shortcut
Well, six months plus a year - [In reply to] Can't Post

though, at the rate we're going, we just might make it There and Back Again by the first Hobbit movie premiere. Now, there's a thought... if we make it to the Lonely Mountain by September or October this year, I might consider a revision. But not yet; it's a bit scary to contemplate at this point.Shocked

So in honor of your progress, I'm humming a tune and simply must share it with you:
Bobbing along, bobbing along
on the bottom of the beautiful briny sea
What a chance to get a better peep
at the plants and creatures of the deep

We glide far below the rolling tide
serene through the bubbly blue and green

It's lovely bobbing along, bobbing along
on the bottom of the beautiful briny sea
What if the octopus, the flounder and the cod
think we're rather odd
It's fun to promenade
Bobbing along, singing a song
On the bottom of the beautiful briny sea

Here's to finding yourself on good, dry land soon, gramma!
And, thanks for helping me out last week!

Iolani
Rivendell

Jun 16 2012, 4:10pm

Post #10 of 25 (272 views)
Shortcut
welcome back! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey, look at that! I'm on time this week! Did better than last week too.

this week: 28.2
cumulative 545.9
goal: There and Back again challenge!

Way to go everyone! And glad to have you back, Arandiel! Keep going strong!Sly

"It's like in the great stories Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And you didn't want to know the end...for how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But then you realize in the end it's just a passing thing, this shadow. A new day will come! And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stuck with you, that meant something. Even if you were too small to understand. But I think Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. The folk in those stories a lot of chances of turnin' back only they didn't. They kept going, because they were holdin' on to something."
"What are we holding onto, Sam?"
"That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it's worth fighting for!"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 17 2012, 11:52pm

Post #11 of 25 (267 views)
Shortcut
*high five* [In reply to] Can't Post

Isn't it strange how hard it is to make it here and to Fiesta when the party's going on? I'm SO challenged at hitting the DAY!!!

Excellent Mileage!!!! Well done :) See you on the road!

sample

Unused Scenes

Alassa Eruvande
Valinor

Jun 18 2012, 2:39am

Post #12 of 25 (311 views)
Shortcut
Cub Scout Day camp mileage [In reply to] Can't Post

I have no idea about how much real mileage we did, but I'm guesstimating it to be about 2 miles per day. Plus, I pulled a wagon full of our gear, and tried to keep control of 14 excited little boys. I think it's easier to herd cats.

I also got a bit of gardening in.

Miles this week: 11.4
Cumulative miles: 340.3

Congrats, Arandiel, on your new brains!

And suddenly the Tornadoes saw afar off a greenlight, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame;
and they knew that this was no vision only, but that PJ had made a new thing: The Hobbit, the Film that Is.

Alassa Eruvande
Valinor

Jun 18 2012, 3:07am

Post #13 of 25 (303 views)
Shortcut
Who wants to see the ginormous man-eating tomato worm I caught? [In reply to] Can't Post

It was a tough fight to get him into that pot. He was a little fatter than my thumb. I noticed some tomato leaves had disappeared off one of the plants, so I went to investigate. There were droppings all around the plant, but I had a hard time locating the worm. He was the same color green as the tomato leaves. Well, I finally saw him, but had nothing to smash him with. I spied the metal rake leaning against the fence, so I tried to use that to scrape him off the branch. It was a struggle, as his feet were suction-cupped to the branch. At one point, he almost got the rake away from me and I thought I was a goner. The saliva was dripping from his fangs and his eyes had an evil glint. I maneuvered him into the plant pot and showed the family. Everyone was duly impressed with my garden defensive skills. I gave the thing a big drink of bug spray, which he enjoyed, because the next morning he was still alive and halfway through one of the holes. I put the pot in the trash can, to be carted off by the garbage disposal company. On trash day, he was dumped into the big truck, but I thought I may have heard some screams from the workers as they proceeded down the road. I didn't stop to check on them. CrazyAngelic

And suddenly the Tornadoes saw afar off a greenlight, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame;
and they knew that this was no vision only, but that PJ had made a new thing: The Hobbit, the Film that Is.

Radhruin
Rohan

Jun 18 2012, 3:23am

Post #14 of 25 (264 views)
Shortcut
Wonderfully nasty [In reply to] Can't Post

So glad I live in Minnesota where critters don't get that large, except mosquitoes. Is that a common pest for tomatoes? Sheesh.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 18 2012, 3:37am

Post #15 of 25 (324 views)
Shortcut
ACK! *cough* ROFL! [In reply to] Can't Post

I should have known better than to be snacking while reading this! LOL, this deed should go down in the annals of TORnsib heroism! Bravo! Laugh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

bearagorn
Lorien

Jun 19 2012, 9:15am

Post #16 of 25 (267 views)
Shortcut
yes late again :( [In reply to] Can't Post

welcome back,and hope the foot gets better soon. High winds,rain and patches of sunshine at the moment,good old English weather Tongue. Gardening and walking for me last week. Bearwen still not 100%,but better than she was.Take care everyone,and thank you aswell Gramma for looking after us while Arandiel was away. Smile

My progress:
Miles covered this week: 22
Cumulative miles: 399.5
Goal: Group Challenge

The boys are back in town!!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 19 2012, 4:19pm

Post #17 of 25 (271 views)
Shortcut
Good mileage [In reply to] Can't Post

considering the weather isn't totally cooperating :)

I'm glad bearwen is feeling better. This has really been hanging on!

Have a GREAT week that WILL end with everyone feeling 100% :)

sample

Unused Scenes

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jun 20 2012, 4:01am

Post #18 of 25 (241 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! I'm getting better - [In reply to] Can't Post

so now's the time to make sure I'm taking it slowly. grumble. Tongue

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jun 20 2012, 4:07am

Post #19 of 25 (283 views)
Shortcut
Well-earned mileage indeed! And cool (icky!) hornworm [In reply to] Can't Post

did it do the "and now I shall wave my sharp and pointy butt at you!" routine? That was the freakiest thing about them for me. Thankfully, we have these European paper wasps around that use tomato hornworms as baby food - it's almost worth the risk of getting stung!

My day camp stint is coming up next month - I'll be in charge of teenage Girl Scouts. More emotionally draining, potentially, but not as exhausting as a pack of excited boys - I hope you've had a chance to rest up since then!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jun 20 2012, 4:10am

Post #20 of 25 (274 views)
Shortcut
No worries, and thanks, it is getting better [In reply to] Can't Post

Now, if only the fire would calm down so I could get out on my bike... I'd take some of that good old English weather right about now!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery to Bearwen.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 20 2012, 10:21am

Post #21 of 25 (257 views)
Shortcut
Omigosh! [In reply to] Can't Post

Another fan of "Bedknobs and Broomsticks"! Laugh

Ever read the original story? The movie is definitely an "adaptation". Crazy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Alassa Eruvande
Valinor

Jun 20 2012, 3:25pm

Post #22 of 25 (250 views)
Shortcut
LOL! I didn't give him the chance! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure we have the paper wasps, too, but I haven't had the garden long enough for all the tomato worms to figure out where we are. We had no worms last year, which was the first year. This year, he's the only one, and hopefully I got him before he told all his relatives! There are some much smaller, bright green caterpillars on the lettuce remains and a few were on the tomatoes, but I'm not sure if it is just the smaller stage of the hornworm, or something else.

Have fun with the Girl Scouts! A friend of mine and her daughter were also at the Washington, DC thing a couple of weeks ago, but were so tired. She said the planners didn't do the water supply very well. In her desperation, she even bought the hot, "display" waters at one of the museums! Crazy

I slept until 10:00 am the day after the last day of camp! Laugh

Iolani
Rivendell

Jun 20 2012, 10:11pm

Post #23 of 25 (299 views)
Shortcut
Whoa! [In reply to] Can't Post

Shocked I would have loved to get a look at that whopper! I swear, I'll be exercising full speed down the road and I'll see a new bird or caterpillar, and I'll stop dead in my tracks to take a pic--usually several. It's almost as if they're fashion models. I wouldn't have been able to throw him away--I would have kept him! Caterpillars turning into butterflies is so awesome. God really put some divine beauty into them. Although we don't appreciate them munching on our plants. I know that from personal experience.... Sly

"It's like in the great stories Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And you didn't want to know the end...for how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But then you realize in the end it's just a passing thing, this shadow. A new day will come! And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stuck with you, that meant something. Even if you were too small to understand. But I think Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. The folk in those stories a lot of chances of turnin' back only they didn't. They kept going, because they were holdin' on to something."
"What are we holding onto, Sam?"
"That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it's worth fighting for!"

Dame Ioreth
Grey Havens

Sep 4 2013, 12:38am

Post #24 of 25 (147 views)
Shortcut
Can I still join in? [In reply to] Can't Post

I was a member of this site back in 2003ish and even drove with my 2 oldest 400 miles for Trilogy Tuesday while 6 months pregnant. That baby was #5 though and so I had little time for the fun stuff. But now I'm back!

I turned 50 this year and I would love to walk to Rivendell, but I don't think I'll make it by the premiere date. lol

Can I still join in?

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Sep 6 2013, 3:58pm

Post #25 of 25 (148 views)
Shortcut
Yes, please do join us! [In reply to] Can't Post

We've completed the group challenge of getting Bilbo and company all the way through their journey in The Hobbit, but we love having folks join us for whatever Middle Earth adventures get you motivated to exercise, at whatever level of ability (and the individual challenges in the There and Back Again Challenge are still going!). Feel free to reply to yesterday's Walk to Rivendell thread to get started.

And welcome back to TORn!

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.