Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Hobbit = Oscar hope for Warner?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Nov 13 2012, 1:46pm

Post #1 of 42 (1569 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit = Oscar hope for Warner? Can't Post

Although "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" isn't out yet, Warner seems to be very sure about the quality of its movie. They did propose the first Hobbit-movie for 16 Academy Awards to the Academy. I got this information from the German Fan Page "Der Herr der Ringe Film":

BEST PICTURE

CAROLYNNE CUNNINGHAM
ZANE WEINER
FRAN WALSH
PETER JACKSON

BEST DIRECTOR
PETER JACKSON

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
FRAN WALSH &
PHILIPPA BOYENS &
PETER JACKSON &
GUILLERMO DEL TORO

BEST ACTOR
MARTIN FREEMAN

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
IAN McKELLEN
RICHARD ARMITAGE
ANDY SERKIS

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
CATE BLANCHETT

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
ANDREW LESNIE, ACS, ASC

BEST ART DIRECTION
Production Designer
DAN HENNAH
Set Decorators
RA VINCENT
SIMON BRIGHT

BEST FILM EDITING
JABEZ OLSSEN

BEST COSTUME DESIGN
ANN MASKREY
RICHARD TAYLOR
BOB BUCK

BEST MAKEUP
Armour, Weapons, Creatures and Special Makeup
RICHARD TAYLOR
Hair and Makeup Design
PETER SWORDS KING

BEST SOUND MIXING
Production Sound Mixer
TONY JOHNSON
Re-Recording Mixers
CHRISTOPHER BOYES
MICHAEL HEDGES
MICHAEL SEMANICK

BEST SOUND EDITING
BRENT BURGE
CHRIS WARD

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
JOE LETTERI
ERIC SAINDON
DAVID CLAYTON
R. CHRISTOPHER WHITE

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
HOWARD SHORE

BEST ORIGINAL SONG
“Song of the Lonely Mountain”
Music by
NEIL FINN
DAVID DONALDSON
STEVE ROCHE
JANET RODDICK
DAVID LONG
Lyrics by
NEIL FINN
Performed and Produced by
NEIL FINN

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

(This post was edited by Lieutenant of Dol Guldur on Nov 13 2012, 1:54pm)

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Nov 13 2012, 1:48pm

Post #2 of 42 (905 views)
Shortcut
Warner [In reply to] Can't Post

Here is the proof from the Warner webpage: http://warnerbros2012.warnerbros.com/....php?film=thehobbit#

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

(This post was edited by Lieutenant of Dol Guldur on Nov 13 2012, 1:54pm)

Elessar
Valinor

Nov 13 2012, 1:57pm

Post #3 of 42 (874 views)
Shortcut
Winners [In reply to] Can't Post

It will get several of these I believe but I don't think the big haul will come until the end.

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Nov 13 2012, 2:01pm

Post #4 of 42 (833 views)
Shortcut
Perdicting such things is nigh impossible I'm afraid :s.. ... we'll just have to wait and hope.. but awesome compilation! // [In reply to] Can't Post

--I'm a victim of Bifurcation--

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

Nov 13 2012, 2:05pm

Post #5 of 42 (834 views)
Shortcut
The Oscars are more about politics than films. [In reply to] Can't Post

Jackson got his reward the last time around; the Academy won't be dishing them all out to him again, even if they are the best films ever.

I'd be surprised if The Hobbit trilogy picks up anything other than the technical awards.

It's not gonna happen guys, best get used to it.

* crunch *

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 13 2012, 2:26pm

Post #6 of 42 (813 views)
Shortcut
I'd be surprised if it even gets nominated for any categories other than technical [In reply to] Can't Post

Part of it is what you said, PJ already having gotten everything there is to get for LOTR, part of it is the movies being less Oscar friendly, with which i mean less serious, epic, emotional, and part of it is just me thinking "what are the odds of lightning striking twice?" I'm expecting a great adventure but LOTR was something truly special, something magical one of a kind (to me at least).

If it really gets amazing reviews, it might get a nomination for best movie, since there are up to 10 slots now.

In Reply To
I'd be surprised if The Hobbit trilogy picks up anything other than the technical awards.

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Nov 13 2012, 2:31pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 13 2012, 2:36pm

Post #7 of 42 (835 views)
Shortcut
AUJ won't win any [In reply to] Can't Post

TABA contains all the epicness!

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

iandea14
Rivendell

Nov 13 2012, 2:52pm

Post #8 of 42 (761 views)
Shortcut
YEAH! [In reply to] Can't Post

I could definitely see some Oscars!

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Nov 13 2012, 5:11pm

Post #9 of 42 (681 views)
Shortcut
Nobody should expect any big prizes this time around... [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ & Co. already had our time in the sun with the Oscars. They made the first fantasy film to ever win Best Picture, and it swept the board with 11 Wins. In Hollywood, the story of the New Zealanders' fantasy film Oscar Victory has already been told.

But that doesn't mean it won't get a bunch of nominations! :) Just don't expect wins in categories like Picture, Director, Screenplay, and the like. I think the films should be able to pick up a good number of techs, though.

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Nov 13 2012, 5:12pm)

LoremIpsum
Lorien

Nov 13 2012, 7:42pm

Post #10 of 42 (576 views)
Shortcut
That's my thinking as well [In reply to] Can't Post

and that's probably why TABA will be released during summer and not closer to the awards season

jtarkey
Rohan

Nov 13 2012, 8:37pm

Post #11 of 42 (537 views)
Shortcut
Actually... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think there's a very good chance of Ian Mckellen or Andy Serkis winning an acting Oscar at some point through this trilogy. Gandalf is Ian's most notable role, and IMO he was certainly the best actor throughout the original trilogy. He disappears seamlessly into Gandalf.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 13 2012, 8:42pm

Post #12 of 42 (542 views)
Shortcut
Disagree. They might have a small outside shot... [In reply to] Can't Post

...if the movies turn out to be critical darlings. There's no "big chance" for an actor to win an Oscar in a fantasy adventure movie.

jtarkey
Rohan

Nov 13 2012, 8:55pm

Post #13 of 42 (537 views)
Shortcut
I don't think genre matters in the acting category [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the acting does. Look at Heath Ledger. Although I'm sure his death upped his chances, The Dark Knight was a comic book movie that wasn't even nominated for Best Picture. His acting was very obviously incredible though, hence the oscar.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 13 2012, 9:08pm

Post #14 of 42 (523 views)
Shortcut
It was a very showy role. [In reply to] Can't Post

And as you said, his death might have played into it, even if it might be a somewhat controversial viewpoint.

Well, i think if you are in a genre film you are in a disadvantage, even as an actor. McKellen had his chance with FOTR, i dunno if the Academy would nominate him again for the same role. As for Serkis, there's still the bias against CGI characters.

starlesswinter
Lorien

Nov 13 2012, 9:43pm

Post #15 of 42 (478 views)
Shortcut
Doubt it [In reply to] Can't Post

Technical awards, for sure, but this won't be a Best Picture winner. It'll be too "fun" for that.

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Nov 13 2012, 9:45pm

Post #16 of 42 (489 views)
Shortcut
I can't help wondering [In reply to] Can't Post

If knowing whether the film is any good or not might be a useful precursor to these predictions.

LR

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 13 2012, 9:55pm

Post #17 of 42 (468 views)
Shortcut
We are assuming the movie to be good for the purpose of discussion. [In reply to] Can't Post

If it turns out not so good then of course no (major) Oscars for Hobbit.

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Nov 13 2012, 10:02pm

Post #18 of 42 (477 views)
Shortcut
*scratches head* [In reply to] Can't Post

How good are we assuming? If we are assuming Oscar worthy good then I'd say yes. If we are assuming not Oscar worthy good then definitely no.

LR

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 13 2012, 10:41pm

Post #19 of 42 (455 views)
Shortcut
The soundtrack [In reply to] Can't Post

Doesn't say "fun" to me. It says serious, dark and rather epic, with some splashes of fun.

Who knows? It is possible this film will knock the socks off the critics.

Welsh hero
Gondor

Nov 13 2012, 10:48pm

Post #20 of 42 (434 views)
Shortcut
I'd put my bets of it defiantly getting nominated for technical awards [In reply to] Can't Post

up to 10 films can be nominated for best picture, so the hobbit has a chance.

Not sure how many 'adapted' films are out this year, but I'd also place my bet on the hobbit getting nominated for this

Large chance for best soundtrack and original song as well.

Although not seen a lot of films this year, so don't know the competition

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

(This post was edited by Welsh hero on Nov 13 2012, 10:50pm)

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 13 2012, 11:38pm

Post #21 of 42 (421 views)
Shortcut
I hope it gets more than that [In reply to] Can't Post

IMO, a film based on such a classic book should reach for best director, screenplay and film!

We'll see...

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Nov 14 2012, 12:41am

Post #22 of 42 (404 views)
Shortcut
If the film is of the quality of the LotR... [In reply to] Can't Post

I will be simply satisfied with a Best Picture nomination. I think technical categories are a lock at this point, with the main competition being against The Avengers and Batman.

I'm not expecting any awards for actors, although to see Sir Ian finally win an Oscar for his Gandalf the Grey role would be fantastic at the end of the trilogy.

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Nov 14 2012, 12:56am

Post #23 of 42 (383 views)
Shortcut
Best Visual Effects [In reply to] Can't Post

I think technical categories are a lock at this point, with the main competition being against The Avengers and Batman.

But don't forget the first use of 48fps,new cameras, new forms of 3D and the development of motion capture. And don't forget the Weta Workshop. "The Avengers" and "Dark Knight Rises" have nothing to beat that. I watched both movies and I really liked both but there was nothing new. "The Avengers" was full of explosions, destructions and falling skycrapers and yes in 3D... but not that special in the age of Transformers and Co. And "Dark Knight Rises"... well it was not that special as well.

I'm pretty sure that AUJ is going to win "Best Visual Effects"

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 14 2012, 1:17am

Post #24 of 42 (389 views)
Shortcut
I did a little checking [In reply to] Can't Post

Studios doing Oscar ad campaigns is not necessarily a sign of quality. For instance, WB did the same with Sherlock Holmes, or Disney promoted Alice in Wonderland. So, calm down, everyone. Wink

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Nov 14 2012, 1:18am)

sphdle1
Gondor

Nov 14 2012, 2:22am

Post #25 of 42 (387 views)
Shortcut
Even if the Hobbit wins everything [In reply to] Can't Post

It doesn't mean anything, because like the post says (& I totally agree), the Oscars are more about politics.

Just look no further than Avatar, one of the most awesome/greatest films ever made/written (& I bet PJ himself would agree on this), yet it barely came away with a few technical awards...dispite the fact it had the best/most original music score, best story, best directing, best cinematography, not to mention best movie by far that year. I could understand if it made in the range of the Avengers or one of the 'normal' top grossing movies of the year, than it could be chalked up to just great special effects and big budget film with not awesome writing or acting ... but like Titanic, Star Wars (original), LOTR, and other great movies that are phenomenons (whereby people come back for repeat showings over and over, and made record breaking box office numbers), Avatar was beyond the normal top box office numbers and struck a chord with the masses for more than just special effects...
...so what happened at the Oscars? Well as everyone knows, Avatar got completely snubbed without any doubt, because it had a strong political message that favored the environment over big money & capitalism, and a strong political message that put the US Republican party line of thought/policies in a negative light, and thus 'the snub' in the form of another war based film winning it all ... What was it called ??? hmmm can't remember?? oh yeah, The Foot Locker .. I mean the Hurt Locker (had to google it).

So if The Hobbit movies don't get the big awards at the Oscars, it doesn't mean they weren't the best films ever made, nor that they weren't the best story line, best written/special effects/score/etc... It just means that the Director, Producers, Actors, Composer, etc., were too busy working harder to make the best film, with the best writing, best score, etc., instead of playing the political game and spending tons of money on ad campaigns to get 'the nod' which doesn't mean anything.
Remember, the movie that won the big awards last year, the actors didn't even speak a word, and yet they still won ...Huh!? ... if that doesn't prove what a joke it has become, than I don't know what does.

Having said all that, I hope PJ and company don't take out one ad for the Oscar's political popularity game, and still win everything (provided it is indeed an awe inspiring phenomenal film, which I'm sure it will be based on who wrote the original book, who wrote the adaptive screen play, directed, acted, produced it, composed the music, etc.).. ;)

sphdle1

"The last words Albus Dumbledore spoke to the pair of us?
Harry is the best hope we have. Trust him."

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.