Ian McKellen: The Hobbit films are exceptionally good

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 30 2012, 11:02am

Post #1 of 20 (1720 views)
Shortcut
Ian McKellen: The Hobbit films are exceptionally good Can't Post

The BBC have a very brief interview with Ian McKellen. He states:

"I've seen enough of it to know it's going to be just as exciting as Lord of the Rings," he said.

"In fact in some senses it's more exciting because it's in three dimensions [..]

This is great news, in my opinion. And nice to see such a positive attitude to the films.

Smile

There are no spoilers, but thought people may be interested.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

emre43
Rohan

Oct 30 2012, 11:09am

Post #2 of 20 (853 views)
Shortcut
To be fair he's hardly going to say it's terribly boring, don't bother coming to see them folks [In reply to] Can't Post

malickfan
Gondor

Oct 30 2012, 11:09am

Post #3 of 20 (805 views)
Shortcut
Any story with a talking purse can only be amazing... [In reply to] Can't Post

‘As they came to the gates Cirdan the Shipwright came forth to greet them. Very tall he was, and his beard was long, and we was grey and old, save that his eyes were keen as stars; and he looked at them and bowed, and said ‘All is now ready.’

Perhaps the most fascinating Individual in Middle Earth

Thorins_apprentice
Rohan

Oct 30 2012, 11:16am

Post #4 of 20 (821 views)
Shortcut
Kili's hair [In reply to] Can't Post

Kili's hair will save this movie and it's looking great.Gimli had his hair tied up the same (from the back) like Kili does in Lord of the Rings.Wink
Anyone else notice this.Even on the game War in the North you have the option to have Farins hair like that.It;s a minor detail but it is what i noticed and it is representative of a true Dwarf.Laugh

We are more connected than ever before, more able to spread our ideas and beliefs, our anger and fears. As we exercise the right to advocate our views, and as we animate our supporters, we must all assume responsibility for our words and actions before they enter a vast echo chamber and reach those both serious and delirious, connected and unhinged.

(This post was edited by Thorins_apprentice on Oct 30 2012, 11:21am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 30 2012, 11:23am

Post #5 of 20 (900 views)
Shortcut
Compare to these 2 interviews [In reply to] Can't Post

Here and here.

This is a lot more positive than both combined.

Smile

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 30 2012, 11:24am

Post #6 of 20 (745 views)
Shortcut
If only! / [In reply to] Can't Post

imin
Valinor

Oct 30 2012, 11:42am

Post #7 of 20 (762 views)
Shortcut
To be fair neither were really about the content of the film [In reply to] Can't Post

One was an actor saying he doesnt really think 3d is very good. The other was the actor analysing his own performance.

Its not like either said, i hope this film is good but secrectly i think its going to suck, lol.

What was Ian meant to say? If he is a fan of 3D which i am (though not too many seem to be) then he is going to say he likes it. He will never say, oh this is so much worse than my last time being gandalf, dont bother with this one guys, lol.

It is nice to know there is one actor who likes the 3D, though im sure most do just havent publicly said so - give it a month and we will know how every one of them thinks this film is the best thing they have ever done! :)

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 30 2012, 11:58am

Post #8 of 20 (759 views)
Shortcut
Oh bless.... I come in here when I want a good chuckle... [In reply to] Can't Post

When he says he doesn't know what it's like, he hasn't seen it yet, it sets off a whole train of 'worry' threads - 'why isn't he promoting the film, is this a sign that something's wrong, is this worrying'....

But when he says he likes it, someone has to add 'well, he would say that, wouldn't he'!

(Not getting at you, the contrast just amused me Wink )

emre43
Rohan

Oct 30 2012, 1:08pm

Post #9 of 20 (673 views)
Shortcut
I'm just saying, it's true though isn't it? He has a duty to promote the film that he has taken part in. [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 30 2012, 1:22pm

Post #10 of 20 (641 views)
Shortcut
Good points imin :-) / [In reply to] Can't Post

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 30 2012, 1:48pm

Post #11 of 20 (639 views)
Shortcut
I don't know that he has a duty to promote it, as such [In reply to] Can't Post

It's the film company that organises the promotion, though they might ask the actors to be interviewed or make appearances at promotional events. Tell me it's in his interest to promote the film and I'd be more likely to agree - tho' someone like Ian McKellen would be wily enough, I reckon, to keep his head down if he really didn't like it. And after the event I've heard plenty of actors say that film x or film y wasn't their finest hour....

But you do see what I mean, don't you? Seems to me that whatever the actors say in praise of the film, someone here will assure us that we can't take that seriously, because.....

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Oct 30 2012, 1:52pm

Post #12 of 20 (645 views)
Shortcut
It wouldn't be that significant except for the fact that ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... whenever one of the actors says anything that can even remotely be considered unenthusiastic, people jump all over it.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

imin
Valinor

Oct 30 2012, 2:13pm

Post #13 of 20 (636 views)
Shortcut
When the planets align and pigs fly, i can occasionally make an alright post! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ardamírë
Valinor

Oct 30 2012, 2:57pm

Post #14 of 20 (578 views)
Shortcut
Glad to hear that [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad Ian says it's just as exciting as LOTR. It's no secret I've got mixed feelings going into these movies.

And 3D - I'm hoping to be able to see 3D 48fps at some point. I don't like regular 3D, but I'm hoping this may win me over.

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

emre43
Rohan

Oct 30 2012, 3:17pm

Post #15 of 20 (557 views)
Shortcut
Haha, I didn't by any means say you can't take it seriously. I just said he's saying exactly what he should be saying, especially considering there is more filming to do next year. [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by emre43 on Oct 30 2012, 3:18pm)

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Oct 30 2012, 3:42pm

Post #16 of 20 (536 views)
Shortcut
There's an obvious and logical reason for that [In reply to] Can't Post

Which is that it is very abnormal for an actor in a film to sound unenthusiastic about a film he or she is in. When we do see this happen, occasionally, it is usually for films that have been widely panned.

So, for me it is better news to see McKellen sound more enthusiastic this time. Perhaps he has seen almost the entire film, and determined that it will not hurt his reputation to state that they are good. It's a good sign.

But, of course, it may also be that Ian has been made aware that it is the final stretch of buzz creation, and as a gentleman and friend to PJ, is doing his duty.

In any event, it is a tad encouraging.

Tim
Tol Eressea

Oct 30 2012, 6:14pm

Post #17 of 20 (436 views)
Shortcut
Objects of curiosity [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that for those who are interested in others' perspective, particularly of those involved in the process of making the movies, this is intriguing information.

But, in reality, it's no more than that. As usual, we will all make up our own minds after we've seen the film.

I'm glad he digs it, though. Smile

King Arthur: Who are you who can summon fire without flint or tinder?

Tim: There are some who call me... Tim?

King Arthur: You know much that is hidden oh Tim.

Tim: Quite.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Oct 30 2012, 6:27pm

Post #18 of 20 (438 views)
Shortcut
Agreed with the sentiments that actors usually don't spread negativity about their own projects [In reply to] Can't Post

before (or even after), they've seen release...however, also agreed that Ian giving it his approval seems like a good sign, as he seems the type to say nothing if possible rather than saying something unpleasant.

Then again, anyone know if Ian ever went on record concerning X-Men 3 prior to its release? Tongue

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Black Breathalizer
Rohan

Oct 31 2012, 10:03am

Post #19 of 20 (304 views)
Shortcut
Sir Ian [In reply to] Can't Post

I expect the Hobbit movies to be good too. But it's hard to take an actor's comments as genuine when his contract includes a percentage of the films' profits.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Oct 31 2012, 1:12pm

Post #20 of 20 (290 views)
Shortcut
they can only make semi-enthusiastic noises [In reply to] Can't Post

at the moment. I bet none of the actors have seen the finished edit yet, so they can only comment on the 'bits' they have seen.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.