Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Tauriel: possible flash sideways?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Elenorflower
Gondor

Sep 25 2012, 9:26pm

Post #76 of 136 (2259 views)
Shortcut
Indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

and she doesnt even look like an elf, and I should know. Wink Dont care how good that stunt double chick looked, Lily is much too modern looking. I am actually dreading her flying through the air like the Last Methane Bender.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 25 2012, 9:29pm

Post #77 of 136 (2269 views)
Shortcut
Even if there's an audible toot as she takes off? [In reply to] Can't Post

Someone posted an aversion to fart jokes recently... could't resist.Wink

Want to display a The Hobbit cover of your own? Click Here
Thank you Magpie!

Escapist
Gondor

Sep 25 2012, 9:29pm

Post #78 of 136 (2254 views)
Shortcut
I think it is a good idea to add Tauriel in to fill out Mirkwood. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I wasn't thinking any additional characters needed to be created to fill out the characters in AUJ - male, female, dwarf, elf, man or otherwise. In fact it rather seemed that with the inclusion of the WC plot and the perspective of the goblins (and key WC members appearing to be cut - and Tom, Bert and Will looking a bit less like speaking character roles).

On the other hand, the end of The Hobbit with the events in Mirkwood and Laketown and the additional dwarves that show up is screaming for new named characters to sort of personalize the stories of the people that happen there. But all of that isn't part of AUJ from what I could gather.

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Sep 25 2012, 9:30pm

Post #79 of 136 (2253 views)
Shortcut
A sage prescription! [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I think moving from sex to gender might be a bit much for us at the moment.

LR

Escapist
Gondor

Sep 25 2012, 9:31pm

Post #80 of 136 (2247 views)
Shortcut
I think Lily makes a great elf lady // [In reply to] Can't Post

Elenorflower
Gondor

Sep 25 2012, 9:37pm

Post #81 of 136 (2228 views)
Shortcut
maybe she lights one [In reply to] Can't Post

and blows the doors of the Dwarves prison? Crazy

Beutlin
Rivendell

Sep 25 2012, 9:43pm

Post #82 of 136 (2305 views)
Shortcut
Please do not confuse feminism with Judith Butler's writings. [In reply to] Can't Post

There is more to feminism than bad writing and antisemitism.

Ceterum censeo montem artis magicae atrae esse delendum.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 25 2012, 9:58pm

Post #83 of 136 (2247 views)
Shortcut
It is very unlikely... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
No seriously, Gandalf leaves the party at Trollshaws.

Edit: unless you mean it's unlikely Gandalf could make the schlep all the way over to Radagast's and back in that time.

The Trollshaws are west of the Misty Mountains. Radagast's home of Rhosgobel is east of the mountains, in or near Mirkwood. If Gandalf meets up with Radagast at this point in the story then it is because Raddy was out looking for him, not at home.

'Thus spake Ioreth, wise-woman of Gondor: The hands of the king are the hands of a healer, and so shall the rightful king be known.' - Gandalf the White

ElendurTheFaithful
Rivendell

Sep 25 2012, 10:03pm

Post #84 of 136 (2228 views)
Shortcut
a [In reply to] Can't Post

"I have read the book many, many, many many times (as well as the drafts), and there is NO "Tauriel" or female guard-captain in it"

troubling your little world doesn't it. Instead of CAPTAIN OF THE GUARD we get FEMALE CAPTAIN OF THE GUARD. horror. jackson's out of control. tolkien's rolling in his grave right now. blasphemy. will we ever smile again?

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 25 2012, 10:18pm

Post #85 of 136 (2204 views)
Shortcut
In that case, Rebecca Walker if you prefer... [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree there is more to the subject than one person's views.Evil

In any event I'm more familiar with Stuart Hall than either of them -- "Oppositional Code" from his Reception Theory seems especially relevant to this discussion:

It is possible for a viewer perfectly to understand both the literal and connotative inflection given to an event, but to determine to decode the message in a globally contrary way. (Wiki saves the day again.)

Thank you Magpie!

Escapist
Gondor

Sep 25 2012, 10:21pm

Post #86 of 136 (2206 views)
Shortcut
The way a person chooses to take something is their call. [In reply to] Can't Post

And by that power they shape the reality they know. I remember an example of someone who decidedly took everything in the most positive way possible and I watched him win many people over. It didn't always work but ... he didn't seem to care!

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 25 2012, 10:29pm

Post #87 of 136 (2197 views)
Shortcut
99% sure that Tauriel and Legolas are NOT in AUJ [In reply to] Can't Post

They have been omitted from both the official cast lists, and the synopsis.

Curious as to why we're still entertaining the idea as a likely one.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 25 2012, 10:30pm

Post #88 of 136 (2178 views)
Shortcut
He's an unknown actor, with very little experience [In reply to] Can't Post

So it is highly unlikely that his role will be as large as Tauriel's.

In any event, I almost dislike his original character description more than Tauriel's. "Cunning civil servant" or something like that. Sounds like a bad cliche just begging for the cutting room floor.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 25 2012, 10:31pm

Post #89 of 136 (2183 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean there's a slight chance they might surprise us... but according to available info and images it'll be another year and a bit before we see them in action.

Thank you Magpie!

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Sep 25 2012, 11:14pm

Post #90 of 136 (2180 views)
Shortcut
I think that that role will be filled not by her [In reply to] Can't Post

but by Legolas, who will then take the opportunity to abandon his father's kingdom in favor of fighting the good fight in the "big picture" via assisting the White Council in the Dol Guldur Episode. Tauriel will be a more savage isolationist and will remain in Mirkwood and take part in the Bo5A

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

Solicitr
Lorien

Sep 26 2012, 1:16am

Post #91 of 136 (2159 views)
Shortcut
Give us a few weeks [In reply to] Can't Post

So much crap, so little time.Evil

In Reply To
Yet I see relatively little disparagement of PB over the others. Why is this I wonder?

Why the early attention to this particular made-up garbage character as opposed to the others? Because in this case the pandering is so obvious.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 26 2012, 1:44am

Post #92 of 136 (2186 views)
Shortcut
It takes fresher bait than that. [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually I've enjoyed this and similar discussions over the past few days. But we should be careful about vague aspersions, made even in jest.

Thank you Magpie!

Ffnir
Rohan

Sep 26 2012, 2:04am

Post #93 of 136 (2140 views)
Shortcut
It could work, but [In reply to] Can't Post

It would then be a shame the way Gimli yell at Legolas at Elrond's counsel, knowing that he is the one who freed his father

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 26 2012, 7:22am

Post #94 of 136 (2134 views)
Shortcut
I suspect (and I know others do as well) Alfrid will be the Grima of The Hobbit. [In reply to] Can't Post

No, he probably won't have as much screentime, but both plots could easily ruin TDOS.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

macfalk
Valinor

Sep 26 2012, 8:23am

Post #95 of 136 (2098 views)
Shortcut
Garbage character [In reply to] Can't Post

For real? Have you seen the movie? I certainly haven't. You dismiss a character as 'garbage' without actually having seen this character in action?

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

macfalk
Valinor

Sep 26 2012, 8:25am

Post #96 of 136 (2096 views)
Shortcut
Cunning civil servant [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like Wormtongue!

macfalk
Valinor

Sep 26 2012, 8:28am

Post #97 of 136 (2108 views)
Shortcut
Evangeline Lilly - Not A Real Purist? [In reply to] Can't Post

We have a new TORN-acronym! NARP.

(This post was edited by macfalk on Sep 26 2012, 8:30am)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 26 2012, 8:56am

Post #98 of 136 (2074 views)
Shortcut
Obvious to you, at least... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Why the early attention to this particular made-up garbage character as opposed to the others? Because in this case the pandering is so obvious.

I really don't see the alteration of the gender of the Wood-elf captain and giving her a name (as well as expanding her role) as necessarily pandering. Jackson may have given her a good reason to take up a bow instead of marrying and having children; maybe Tauriel is incapable of having children so that defending the kingdom is her contribution to the common good. Perhaps we should wait to actually see her on film before we judge the character too harshly.

'Thus spake Ioreth, wise-woman of Gondor: The hands of the king are the hands of a healer, and so shall the rightful king be known.' - Gandalf the White

Fardragon
Rohan

Sep 26 2012, 10:10am

Post #99 of 136 (2082 views)
Shortcut
Toys [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Curious as to why we're still entertaining the idea as a likely one.

A Far Dragon is the best kind...

Fardragon
Rohan

Sep 26 2012, 10:16am

Post #100 of 136 (2063 views)
Shortcut
I suspect Alfrid exists [In reply to] Can't Post

To give The Master someone to expound his evil plans too.

Why does the Master need his role expanded?

Because BARD most defiantly needs his role expanded.

Which means he needs an antagonist.

A Far Dragon is the best kind...

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.