Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Upcoming Hobbit Trailer To Feature Epic Music From "Quantum"
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Sep 15 2012, 2:49am

Post #1 of 82 (3723 views)
Shortcut
Upcoming Hobbit Trailer To Feature Epic Music From "Quantum" Can't Post

Ringer Spy Stratos has sent us some exciting news concerning the upcoming trailer for The Hobbit.

It seems the trailer will feature a piece from Immediate Music's album QUANTUM, described by them as...
"... our edgiest and most modern Live Orchestra and Choir release yet... a combination of Epic Action and Drama making a grand debut as our most unique hybrid orchestral album for film trailers and advertising... loaded with layers of ground breaking sound design accompanied by dark, edgy guitar melodies combined with our signature sound of lush cyclical strings, huge swelling brass, and massive booming drums."

From Immediate Music's news release:
We can't wait for the debut of the second Hobbit trailer! We can confirm that one of our Epic Dramatic Adventure pieces from Quantum will be featured in the upcoming trailer for Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. This classic will follow Bilbo Baggins as he journeys to the Lonely Mountain with a vigorous group of Dwarves. We are thrilled to be a part of Warner's marketing campaign for this series.

So while it seems highly unlikely that the trailer will feature a Howard Shore composition, it looks like we can expect some breathtaking music nonetheless.

(This post was edited by Earl on Sep 15 2012, 7:56am)

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 15 2012, 8:21am

Post #2 of 82 (1546 views)
Shortcut
I'd rather have Howard Shore's music :( // [In reply to] Can't Post

little mouse
Rivendell

Sep 15 2012, 8:22am

Post #3 of 82 (1725 views)
Shortcut
and here is demo version of the album [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv8h8O-7H4o

It seems that trailer will be EPIC

KieranDhesi
Bree

Sep 15 2012, 8:25am

Post #4 of 82 (1724 views)
Shortcut
Here is the link to it on the Tubes of You [In reply to] Can't Post

Saw it so wanted to hear it and I think this is it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv8h8O-7H4o

I don't think its so bad some of the louder parts I don't like.

I think I would prefer along with most of you to have some Howard Shore in there.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 15 2012, 8:43am

Post #5 of 82 (1475 views)
Shortcut
That's cool ... [In reply to] Can't Post

But what does it have to do with The Hobbit?

Does that mean the trailer will start with a shot of Bilbo down the barrel of a gun, creaping between trees in Trollshaw?

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Milknut
Rohan

Sep 15 2012, 9:05am

Post #6 of 82 (1518 views)
Shortcut
We all would. But he's got other work to do. [In reply to] Can't Post

LIKE WRITING THE SCOOOORE!!! HeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeart Laugh

The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie___

flowww
Bree

Sep 15 2012, 9:10am

Post #7 of 82 (1467 views)
Shortcut
OMG super EPIC times INFINITY!!1 [In reply to] Can't Post

lol what kind of canned 'xtreme' corporate cheese nonsense is this?

laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame.

sorry, refuse to be nice about this kind of corporate generica. Tolkien would have HATED it.

lidlessEye
Rivendell

Sep 15 2012, 9:11am

Post #8 of 82 (1503 views)
Shortcut
why whining? [In reply to] Can't Post

the best LotR-trailers didn't feauture shore's music.
gothic power in the FotR-trailer
lux atearme in the TTT-trailer

howard shores musc is not written for the trailers (though some pieces are) - its perfect for the film, but for trailers there are better options

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 15 2012, 9:32am

Post #9 of 82 (1371 views)
Shortcut
Fair enough! :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Thoromir
Rivendell

Sep 15 2012, 10:19am

Post #10 of 82 (1377 views)
Shortcut
If you could choose... [In reply to] Can't Post

Which track do you all prefer? For the new trailer that is.

EDIT: Hmm, hard to find the individual tracks. So which parts of the album demo do you like to be featured?

(This post was edited by Thoromir on Sep 15 2012, 10:24am)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Sep 15 2012, 11:20am

Post #11 of 82 (1292 views)
Shortcut
I actually agree with this. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
the best LotR-trailers didn't feauture shore's music.
gothic power in the FotR-trailer
lux atearme in the TTT-trailer

howard shores musc is not written for the trailers (though some pieces are) - its perfect for the film, but for trailers there are better options

imin
Valinor

Sep 15 2012, 12:30pm

Post #12 of 82 (1228 views)
Shortcut
I like it, though i dont think it fits with the movies. [In reply to] Can't Post

i think it sounds decent enough and will get people pumped to see the movies which is all you want from a trailer.

It doesnt sound like how i imagine ME to sound, especially not compared to Shore but as others have said he will be busy making the score and in a trailer you just want some music to move things along, ranking up the tension and excitement, i think this does that well even if its a bit generic.

The Grey Elf
Gondor

Sep 15 2012, 12:58pm

Post #13 of 82 (1194 views)
Shortcut
Bombastic is Appropriate [In reply to] Can't Post

For a movie trailer. WB already knows our arses are firmly planted in theater seats 24 hours before the movie starts. But in 2 minutes 25 (?) seconds they've got to arrest the interest of non-Tolkein audiences amid the competing noises of other coming attractions being shown. Just allow HS to make it sound purty for the actual movie, that's all I'm askin! Smile

little mouse
Rivendell

Sep 15 2012, 1:18pm

Post #14 of 82 (1115 views)
Shortcut
well, for me [In reply to] Can't Post

0:18-1:00 sounds great
and also

1:00-1:22,
1:35-1:55,
4:23-4:44(this one probably won`t be in the trailer),
and 5:29-5:58

I like epic music(can`t help myself)

LoremIpsum
Lorien

Sep 15 2012, 1:22pm

Post #15 of 82 (1129 views)
Shortcut
Sounds epic [In reply to] Can't Post

and well yes ... I actually want an epic and thrilling trailer full of moneyshots, the teaser was great and felt refreshing as it was more focused on characters but this time I just want my eyeballs treated to some proper eye candy.

(This post was edited by LoremIpsum on Sep 15 2012, 1:23pm)

Thoromir
Rivendell

Sep 15 2012, 1:33pm

Post #16 of 82 (1129 views)
Shortcut
Loose the rock-ish parts.. [In reply to] Can't Post

0:18-1:00 sounds suitable indeed. But as much as I like some other bits of the album demo, I don't think they will go for the rock-ish parts (with the electric guitars and drum sets). It just doesn't fit imho.

How cheesy it may sound; something like 4:43-4:59 seems proper and is more like we've heard before in the LotR-trailers.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 15 2012, 1:35pm

Post #17 of 82 (1073 views)
Shortcut
Capable [In reply to] Can't Post

but for me, the sound is getting a little tired and overused... seems as if coming from a music factory. Maybe they made something extra-special for the Hobbit trailer though.

Want a The Hobbit cover of your own for World Hobbit Day? Click Here
Thank you Magpie!

Carne
Tol Eressea

Sep 15 2012, 1:55pm

Post #18 of 82 (1042 views)
Shortcut
Depends on what WB wants [In reply to] Can't Post

Most studios just pay to use an existing track, but WB usually pay to have them compose something for them.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 15 2012, 2:08pm

Post #19 of 82 (1009 views)
Shortcut
I think so too [In reply to] Can't Post

Although there are portions in that YouTube video that don't sound electronic and could go well with the trailer, I have a feeling Interactive Music wouldn't have made such a slip with a new release if they had released the trailer piece.

stoutfiles
Rohan

Sep 15 2012, 2:12pm

Post #20 of 82 (1123 views)
Shortcut
The word 'epic' is dead [In reply to] Can't Post

Epic used to be reserved for events that were actually epic, like Homer's Odyssey. Now we're using it three times to describe a soundtrack for a movie trailer. It's so overused that people routinely describe mundane events like eating dinner as epic.

R.I.P. "Epic" ?-2012

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 15 2012, 2:17pm

Post #21 of 82 (1052 views)
Shortcut
And don't forget the term "epic fail" that seems to have been coined in just the last couple of years // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ref
Rivendell

Sep 15 2012, 2:21pm

Post #22 of 82 (1017 views)
Shortcut
RE: Stoutfiles [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree on the use of the word 'epic' nowadays. However, when it comes to music and describing it - 'epic' can be used quite widely. A piece of music can sound epic, but still be quite boring technically.

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

*~* Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week *~*

Icon made by the talented wow_genius

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 15 2012, 2:26pm

Post #23 of 82 (1048 views)
Shortcut
Epic eulogy [In reply to] Can't Post

Angelic

I see what you mean though, and agree. As it relates to this music, at least the sample, it invokes epic-ness -- the same way the colour red invokes "danger" -- but is not itself epic. They've managed to strike on a formula that aids in the invocation of an epic, important, or serious event. But being formulaic, it's starting to feel manipulative and of the flavour "one size fits all" (which seems to be the opposite of epic, generally speaking).

A word I use a lot, whose meaning is lessened of late, is "great." It used to mean, well, great: peerless, exceedingly above average. As a title it was only bestowed on the most exceptional people. Now it means "better than average or not ordinary." It's still a nice designation but hardly enough to write home about.

Thank you Magpie!

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 15 2012, 3:02pm

Post #24 of 82 (952 views)
Shortcut
I won't be able to help myself from using the word 'epic' whenever I reply to you now ;-) / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Sep 15 2012, 3:09pm)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 15 2012, 3:08pm

Post #25 of 82 (987 views)
Shortcut
Aside: Thoromir [In reply to] Can't Post

where'd you get that shopped avatar of Tauriel?

ETA: I found a similar version of it at nerdbastards.com.

Thank you Magpie!

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Sep 15 2012, 3:13pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.