Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Wargs
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

DarkJackal
Rohan

Sep 11 2012, 5:38pm

Post #1 of 74 (5701 views)
Shortcut
Wargs Can't Post

Because you asked, here's a look at two small pix from the new Annual featuring wargs (they are labeled wargs, so no doubt there).

http://heirsofdurin.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/warg1.png

http://heirsofdurin.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/warg2.png

And here is a crop of just the wargs from the old scroll (new scroll looks the same, I just don't have as large a version of that one yet).

http://heirsofdurin.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/wargs.jpg

To me the designs look very similar, but I suppose the new ones might have less fur on the ears, and look even uglier, and their eyes are a different color.

(This post was edited by DarkJackal on Sep 11 2012, 5:41pm)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Sep 11 2012, 5:40pm

Post #2 of 74 (4290 views)
Shortcut
Oh... [In reply to] Can't Post

That was anticlimactic. It's just paintings, i thought there would be actual photos of how they look in the movie.

Thanks anyway.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 11 2012, 5:42pm

Post #3 of 74 (4186 views)
Shortcut
Thanks DarkJackal! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure what to think. Warg1 looks like a dog, while Warg2 looks like a wolf. Both quite scary.

Do they come across as actual pictures in the book? They still look like drawings to me.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

DarkJackal
Rohan

Sep 11 2012, 5:50pm

Post #4 of 74 (4156 views)
Shortcut
Not sure [In reply to] Can't Post

They are only 1.5" square in the book, so you're seeing them in greater detail in the scan than my eye picks up in print.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 11 2012, 5:54pm

Post #5 of 74 (4155 views)
Shortcut
That's what they remind me of! [In reply to] Can't Post

Gmork from The Neverending Story! He scared me beyond no end as a child. That's why I find these so creepy. Creepy Bilbo move over. I've found your replacement. Crazy

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Sep 11 2012, 5:55pm

Post #6 of 74 (4086 views)
Shortcut
One looks a bit [In reply to] Can't Post

hairier than the other but both look a bit more wolf-like than the hyena's from the LOTR trilogy.

DarkJackal
Rohan

Sep 11 2012, 5:57pm

Post #7 of 74 (4134 views)
Shortcut
Gmork [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't remember that it had a name! And yeah, it scared me too (never mind my pseudonym, black canines jumping out at you is frightening).

(This post was edited by DarkJackal on Sep 11 2012, 5:59pm)

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 11 2012, 6:20pm

Post #8 of 74 (4031 views)
Shortcut
I love the eyes! [In reply to] Can't Post

Slap those eyes onto the perfect looking wargs from the scroll and I'll be more than pleased. I want the wargs to be genuinely terrifying, and this should do the trick.

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast, as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower."

sador
Half-elven

Sep 11 2012, 6:26pm

Post #9 of 74 (4043 views)
Shortcut
Book or Movie? [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved the book, and hated the movie (Michael Ende actually sued the filmmakers for their abuse of his book, and lost).

I guess with that adaption in mind, it was easy for me to be forgiving and accepting of Jackson;s LotR.

As to Gmork - in the book, I find his wisdom the most scary part about him; and I promptly forgot most of the film as soon as I left the theatre, so alas, I have no recollection of what he looked like.

"Has Bilbo's presence for the most part generally gone unnoticed at the feast, or are people simply being more polite to and celebratory of the dwarves, whose arrival is more expected?"

"Well, there’s thirteen rough and bearded short people, and one rather prissy and unbearded short person. The answer is obvious. Surely the people of Lake-town are knowledgeable enough to not ever dare bother a Dwarven female without leave."
- Laerasea / Darkstone

The weekly discussion of The Hobbit is back. Join us in the Reading Room for A Warm Welcome!

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Sep 11 2012, 6:30pm

Post #10 of 74 (4024 views)
Shortcut
I loved the movie as a kid. [In reply to] Can't Post

One of the best fantasy movies of yore with an awesome soundtrack.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 11 2012, 6:40pm

Post #11 of 74 (4003 views)
Shortcut
Movie Gmork [In reply to] Can't Post

I've not read the book Blush

I just watched it on youtube again, it still scares me. Here's a picture!

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Sep 11 2012, 6:40pm

Post #12 of 74 (4062 views)
Shortcut
Am I alone in thinking this looks like one warg and [In reply to] Can't Post

One wolf? Warg number one looks very similar in the face to the LOTR wargs whereas warg number two looks like a standard wolf.

Or is it just me?

LR

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 11 2012, 6:49pm

Post #13 of 74 (3983 views)
Shortcut
Could be [In reply to] Can't Post

The eyes of Wargs in TTT were at the same height as their noses though. Unless this is a redesigned Warg.

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Sep 11 2012, 6:49pm

Post #14 of 74 (3989 views)
Shortcut
I see some similarities [In reply to] Can't Post

in the first one to the hyena warg but just minimally something about it looks a bit more wolf like might just be the coloring

Might be we will see a couple different breeds of Wargs to explain the ones used in the LOTR trilogy

(This post was edited by sinister71 on Sep 11 2012, 6:50pm)

DarkJackal
Rohan

Sep 11 2012, 6:54pm

Post #15 of 74 (3973 views)
Shortcut
Ahhhh! [In reply to] Can't Post

Still scary Shocked

I think the real kicker is it has slit pupils like a cat. Just makes it worse.

DarkJackal
Rohan

Sep 11 2012, 7:03pm

Post #16 of 74 (3973 views)
Shortcut
The goblins look a bit different too [In reply to] Can't Post

In the same book we see slight variety in the goblins. There are four different images, two look very similar in shape, while the other two are larger (one of which might be the Great Goblin, though it isn't really confirmed yet).

Perhaps they are giving the wargs similar variety by making some more or less furry.

imin
Valinor

Sep 11 2012, 7:08pm

Post #17 of 74 (3959 views)
Shortcut
For me the best Wargs are the ones in the scroll. // [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 11 2012, 7:14pm

Post #18 of 74 (3941 views)
Shortcut
Do you mean slightly different from the ones in FOTR? / [In reply to] Can't Post

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Sep 11 2012, 8:27pm

Post #19 of 74 (3873 views)
Shortcut
Still afraid. [In reply to] Can't Post

I found that scene on youtube while ago, and I couldn't get through all of it. He still terrifies me.

These wargs look great, but thank god they don't have Gmork's eyes. Unimpressed

(This post was edited by Mooseboy018 on Sep 11 2012, 8:29pm)

Reptile
Rivendell

Sep 11 2012, 10:00pm

Post #20 of 74 (3799 views)
Shortcut
Big improvement [In reply to] Can't Post

The hyena creatures that stood for wargs in the Two Towers did not do it for me. These wargs really look like bad-ass wolves, just like the image I got when I read the book.

"If you listen closely, you can hear the gods laughing."

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Sep 11 2012, 10:13pm

Post #21 of 74 (3802 views)
Shortcut
Warg II looks EXCELLENT (though I imagine and hope the hair will look more real in live action) [In reply to] Can't Post

The first looks a little too much like a doberman, but still way better than the hyena from the first films. THe second one is fantastic. THAT is a monstrous, demon posessed wolf!

P.S. you do great work and service, DarkJackal, and I thank you for it.

In Reply To
Because you asked, here's a look at two small pix from the new Annual featuring wargs (they are labeled wargs, so no doubt there).

http://heirsofdurin.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/warg1.png

http://heirsofdurin.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/warg2.png

And here is a crop of just the wargs from the old scroll (new scroll looks the same, I just don't have as large a version of that one yet).

http://heirsofdurin.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/wargs.jpg

To me the designs look very similar, but I suppose the new ones might have less fur on the ears, and look even uglier, and their eyes are a different color.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

GoodGuyA
Lorien

Sep 11 2012, 10:15pm

Post #22 of 74 (3831 views)
Shortcut
The wargs is one of those things that I have to at least applaud them for trying something different [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think anybody on LotR misread Wargs as anything else than "giant wolves". It's not something that they "just didn't understand", but that's far too generic fantasy. It's be like if you made a Nazgul very dragon-like, sucking away its unique identity. The consensus was, I feel, to make something ravenous and beastly without relating directly to "giant wolves". The end result is probably one of Weta's least realistic designs, but I still wish that Wargs could be more than "giant wolves" in people's minds. I have no doubt the new designs will be interesting, but likely rather generic. I suppose that's one of the big things about these stories, that the beasts can't possible be anything but CG creations and people are going to judge each interpretation heavily on the artistic prowess. I've seen few quarrels about the Balrog, but many others dislike the trolls. It's a bit of a mess.

(This post was edited by GoodGuyA on Sep 11 2012, 10:16pm)

DarkJackal
Rohan

Sep 11 2012, 10:28pm

Post #23 of 74 (3783 views)
Shortcut
Imagine these things chasing you in the dark [In reply to] Can't Post

The fact you can see their hideous glowing eyes coming a mile away, thus ruining their stealth, is no consolation when they are leaping and tearing to get at you while the trees burn and crash around you.

It will be awesome!

And thanks Ainur, you too sweet Heart

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 11 2012, 10:33pm

Post #24 of 74 (3775 views)
Shortcut
Are you trying to give us nightmares? ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

If I don't post tomorrow the Nothing got me in my sleep.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Sep 11 2012, 10:57pm

Post #25 of 74 (3758 views)
Shortcut
Love! [In reply to] Can't Post

Heart Wonderful. And I see what you did there with the Neverending Story piece. lol. That is a wonderfully, frightful warg,.

In Reply To
If I don't post tomorrow the Nothing got me in my sleep.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.