Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Cate Blanchett on The Hobbit (interview)

HiddenSpring
Lorien

Sep 10 2012, 5:17am

Post #1 of 25 (3124 views)
Shortcut
Cate Blanchett on The Hobbit (interview) Can't Post

The interview is in Spanish, and she only briefly discusses The Hobbit, but I thought I'd share anyway. The following is a translation of the paragraph that concerns her role as Galadriel:

Q: It's been 12 years since you played Galadriel. How did it feel going back to that character and that universe?

CB: I'm more mature as an actress; that's what made me want to play her again. Peter called me and thought I might not accept the role. I told him "Are you kidding me? Of course I will!" Galadriel is a special character to me, mythic and fascinating. It was as enjoyable to shoot as Lord of the Rings. When I wore the elf ears again, I had this wonderful feeling of dejá vú. I couldn't stop laughing. I was very young when I played Galadriel. I hope to have evolved, to be a better actress, person and mother. Professionally I think I'm much more flexible now, and easier to work with. I know Peter thinks so! (laughs) Come Christmas the audience will be able to decide for themselves.

http://www.milenio.com/...b8957300232dce9ab9f0

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 10 2012, 7:38am

Post #2 of 25 (1382 views)
Shortcut
Blanchett did a fantastic job of playing Galadriel 10 years ago [In reply to] Can't Post

And I'm super excited that she is returning for The Hobbit.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Sep 10 2012, 2:03pm

Post #3 of 25 (1067 views)
Shortcut
spanish [In reply to] Can't Post

Castillian Wink

sycorax82
Rohan

Sep 10 2012, 4:00pm

Post #4 of 25 (1128 views)
Shortcut
She IS Galadriel [In reply to] Can't Post

The only misstep with Galadriel in FOTR was the over-the-top effects they decided to go for with her big speech. Though even then I really love the way she says 'all shall love me and despair'.

Other than that she was so perfect in looks and voice and I'm so glad she came back to reprise the role cause I'm not sure who else could have pulled it off.

GoodGuyA
Lorien

Sep 10 2012, 5:00pm

Post #5 of 25 (1026 views)
Shortcut
It's so great that an actress as esteemed as this is so open [In reply to] Can't Post

She's such a lovely character, not very stuck up even though she's very prestigious and the like. I'd bet lesser actors would scoff at wearing elf ears, but she's gleeful about it!

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Sep 10 2012, 5:12pm

Post #6 of 25 (1061 views)
Shortcut
Mother [In reply to] Can't Post

Cate's comments about being more mature and a mother strike me as being the most important aspects of her comments. Those specific qualities are critical to imbue in what Galadriel is for herself, her people, and as Cate says, her "evolution" and forgiveness by the (always freakishly capricious) Valar. Though I doubt Cate will diminish any time soon.Wink

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Sep 10 2012, 5:47pm

Post #7 of 25 (1018 views)
Shortcut
Interesting...seems like we may see additional depth/subtlety to Galadriel this time around, fueled by Cate's expanded life experiances [In reply to] Can't Post

Though, I thought she was just fantastic as it was in LotR! Wink Galadriel does have a "matronly" side, when she isn't being all enigmatic and ethereal (or nuclear green), and it seems this will probably rise to the surface again through her interactions with fellow "old soul" Gandy the Grey.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Sep 10 2012, 5:47pm

Post #8 of 25 (957 views)
Shortcut
Agreed, she's FANTASTIC! Can't wait to see her again! ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Patty
Immortal

Sep 10 2012, 7:28pm

Post #9 of 25 (1148 views)
Shortcut
Indeed she did. I find it interesting that PJ thought she wouldn't do it... [In reply to] Can't Post

perhaps because she is an Oscar -winning actress now? Anyway, I'm glad to see that she agreed to it.

Permanent address: Into the West

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 10 2012, 8:52pm

Post #10 of 25 (958 views)
Shortcut
Cate Blanchett is one of the best actors around [In reply to] Can't Post

And certainly the most beautiful, IMO.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Sep 10 2012, 10:10pm

Post #11 of 25 (926 views)
Shortcut
how true [In reply to] Can't Post

nice of you to notice. and I get to wear a floaty silver frock this time, and maybe flirt with Gandalf. Wink

Maylily
The Shire

Sep 10 2012, 10:15pm

Post #12 of 25 (869 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful and talented [In reply to] Can't Post

Cate Blanchett has always been amazingly beautiful and talented. I was really pissed that Gwyneth won that Oscar over her back in 2000, but I'm glad she eventually got her Oscar as well. I'm so glad to hear that she treasured the Galadriel role- no one else could've played her.

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Sep 10 2012, 10:56pm

Post #13 of 25 (973 views)
Shortcut
GAG! [In reply to] Can't Post

...and maybe flirt with Gandalf.

That is about as horrible as when TBS played "Secret Lovers" over Sam and Frodo scenes during the promos for LOTR a few years back, talk about being P.O'd.

"There is a long road yet," said Gandalf. "But it is the last road," said Bilbo.

sam90
Lorien

Sep 10 2012, 11:11pm

Post #14 of 25 (938 views)
Shortcut
Galadriel (Cate Blanchett) in the Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

I am skeptical about the appearance of Galadriel in The Hobbit but since I like the character and the actress is a good one, I hope it would make it pass better.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 11 2012, 1:50am

Post #15 of 25 (816 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful [In reply to] Can't Post

Cate seems genuinely delighted to return to Middle-earth. And I'm just as delighted to see her bring Galadriel to life again as beautifully as she did a decade ago.

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast, as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower."

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Sep 11 2012, 2:11am

Post #16 of 25 (798 views)
Shortcut
Delighted [In reply to] Can't Post

It's so much more enjoyable to watch actors in a production when you know how much they appreciate it too.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 11 2012, 2:18am

Post #17 of 25 (787 views)
Shortcut
Very much agreed.// [In reply to] Can't Post

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast, as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower."

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 11 2012, 2:36am

Post #18 of 25 (893 views)
Shortcut
Oh, hi Cate! [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't see you there. Wink

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 12 2012, 7:43am

Post #19 of 25 (790 views)
Shortcut
You made the front page ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for sending this in Cool

The Plan 9 Interview... in celebration of the 10th anniversary of the release of The Fellowship of the Ring.

mandel
Rivendell

Sep 12 2012, 8:05am

Post #20 of 25 (739 views)
Shortcut
Really? [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought you'd be upset that this cheeky (if lovely) sixth/seventh age mortal is masquerading as you. You need to school her, put her in her place: "I've seen the light of the two trees, bi$%h!"

The Grey Wanderer
Lorien

Sep 12 2012, 10:45am

Post #21 of 25 (784 views)
Shortcut
I liked the "over-the-top" effects - they made the point; otherwise I agree fully// [In reply to] Can't Post

Yngwulff
Gondor

Sep 12 2012, 10:44pm

Post #22 of 25 (556 views)
Shortcut
The mirror scene [In reply to] Can't Post

Was one of my favorite parts of the movie, spot on in my opinion.
Cate is as elegant and beautiful as she is talented.
Looking forward to her reprising her role.

Take this Brother May it Serve you Well
Vote for Pedro!

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Sep 13 2012, 4:13am

Post #23 of 25 (498 views)
Shortcut
One can make a point [In reply to] Can't Post

Without shouting: I AM MAKING A POINT!

Wink

(This post was edited by Shelob'sAppetite on Sep 13 2012, 4:14am)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Sep 13 2012, 2:13pm

Post #24 of 25 (475 views)
Shortcut
POINT taken....got me in the Heart.. [In reply to] Can't Post

My Goldberry used "GLAD-Girl speak"
often..
"EAt..this. dinner & despair "
"Thou shall love Me!
Tonight?
(It's been an Age!")

"Okay Don't look in the Mirror?
But Bomby you didn't Shave!"

XxxxxTommyTuneFull

HiddenSpring
Lorien

Sep 15 2012, 1:06am

Post #25 of 25 (375 views)
Shortcut
Haha, thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I just found out! Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.