Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
48 fps cinema upgrades
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

IncredibleSmaug
The Shire

Apr 19 2012, 7:55am

Post #1 of 44 (2289 views)
Shortcut
48 fps cinema upgrades Can't Post

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/peter-jackson-hobbit-48-frames-per-second-rate-james-cameron-313867

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 19 2012, 8:08am

Post #2 of 44 (1236 views)
Shortcut
Clickable link [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/...james-cameron-313867

Thanks for sharing Smile

I have no idea about any of this technological "stuff". I'll just be emailing by local cinema to make sure they will be showing The Hobbit they way it is meant to be seen!

guitarzankansasfan
Lorien

Apr 19 2012, 9:58am

Post #3 of 44 (1294 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit: An Unfinished Journey [In reply to] Can't Post

Caught a typo in the title of the film as written in the article. Gosh I hope the theaters are expecting more than just an unfinished journey :)

(This post was edited by guitarzankansasfan on Apr 19 2012, 9:58am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 19 2012, 10:01am

Post #4 of 44 (1153 views)
Shortcut
Good spot! How funny! / [In reply to] Can't Post

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Apr 19 2012, 10:28am

Post #5 of 44 (1215 views)
Shortcut
Interesting thing about high frame rates... [In reply to] Can't Post

At least, in 60fps. When the person on-screen is looking directly at the camera (which I assume won't happen in The Hobbit) it's kind of uncomfortable. With 24fps you know you're just looking at a picture, but at 60 it looks so real, you get a very odd sensation looking into people's eyes... I've only seen this in 2D, I imagine it's even weirder with an extra dimension.

"...For if joyful is the fountain that rises in the sun, its springs are in the wells of sorrow unfathomed at the foundations of the Earth"

Chopsta123
Gondor

Apr 19 2012, 10:32am

Post #6 of 44 (1150 views)
Shortcut
wow [In reply to] Can't Post

6-12TB per day! lets say they shoot 10 TB per day that means the storagespace for the whole production is about 2.5 million gigabyte! *head blown*

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 19 2012, 10:33am

Post #7 of 44 (1176 views)
Shortcut
If you don't mind me asking [In reply to] Can't Post

what was it that you saw at 60fps?

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Apr 19 2012, 1:22pm

Post #8 of 44 (1120 views)
Shortcut
Nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's cool.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Apr 19 2012, 1:34pm

Post #9 of 44 (1206 views)
Shortcut
Just test stuff... [In reply to] Can't Post

When I was doing a course in animation we got to play with some pretty neat cameras. I haven't seen a 4K display, but the monitors we had were capable of displaying 60fps footage. We shot various test stuff - balls bouncing and people talking and things. It doesn't necessarily look better, but it looks noticably different and more real. I remember a friend on the course described it as "too real" and said they'd hate films to use it, but I personally prefer it. It'll be interesting to see how it works with a movie, when your eyes have 3 hours to get used to the look.

"...For if joyful is the fountain that rises in the sun, its springs are in the wells of sorrow unfathomed at the foundations of the Earth"

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Apr 19 2012, 1:36pm)

Owain
Tol Eressea

Apr 19 2012, 4:55pm

Post #10 of 44 (1155 views)
Shortcut
i would't leave it to that, DanielLB... [In reply to] Can't Post

There is a shocking amount of people in Cinemas who know nothing about the tech that they work with. A lot of projectionists struggle with the new tech. I provided a link for the boards earlier this year, I believe, that showed all of the cinemas in N. America that will have 4K projection.

I'll see if I can dig it up for you.

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 19 2012, 4:57pm

Post #11 of 44 (1042 views)
Shortcut
UK [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm from the UK though Wink Would be a bit far to travel to see The Hobbit ... or is it?! Laugh

My local cinema is a large chain over here, so I'll be checking with their hotline/helpdesk, rather than the individual cinema itself. Thanks anyway Owain Smile

Owain
Tol Eressea

Apr 19 2012, 5:01pm

Post #12 of 44 (1074 views)
Shortcut
Actually the link has info for theaters world-wide. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hang on a sec... digging it up.

Owain
Tol Eressea

Apr 19 2012, 5:04pm

Post #13 of 44 (1082 views)
Shortcut
Here you go.... [In reply to] Can't Post

http://pro.sony.com/...p4ktheatregmap.shtml

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 19 2012, 6:02pm

Post #14 of 44 (1070 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Owain! [In reply to] Can't Post

According to it, there are no cinemas near me that have 4K projection ...........

(sorry for my previous assumption Wink)

Owain
Tol Eressea

Apr 19 2012, 6:04pm

Post #15 of 44 (1068 views)
Shortcut
Haha! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'm from the UK though Wink Would be a bit far to travel to see The Hobbit ... or is it?! Laugh

Not if you travel by map. It's much faster.

Sorry couldn't resist a Muppets reference.

Laugh

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Apr 19 2012, 6:19pm

Post #16 of 44 (1042 views)
Shortcut
Can I ask what part of the UK you're from? // [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 19 2012, 6:24pm

Post #17 of 44 (1053 views)
Shortcut
Bedford/Milton Keynes area [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks like the nearest one is Cambridge Smile

R11
Lorien

Apr 19 2012, 6:29pm

Post #18 of 44 (1136 views)
Shortcut
On static shots.... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
At least, in 60fps. When the person on-screen is looking directly at the camera (which I assume won't happen in The Hobbit) it's kind of uncomfortable. With 24fps you know you're just looking at a picture, but at 60 it looks so real, you get a very odd sensation looking into people's eyes... I've only seen this in 2D, I imagine it's even weirder with an extra dimension.

With no movement, it would have no effect. The only time the picture will look different is when there is motion in the frame.

ron

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Apr 19 2012, 6:59pm

Post #19 of 44 (1037 views)
Shortcut
The reason eyes look different... [In reply to] Can't Post

Is because of the speed that a person's eyes twitch or blink is nearly undetectable at 24fps. (Slow down a blink in a film, you'll see what I mean). This makes the eyes regester as unnatural to us, but sped up the eyes seem to have more soul behind them. As you say, perfectly static shots aren't effected, but shots, even with very little movement, can look much smoother and nicer with an increased frame-rate.

duats
Grey Havens

Apr 19 2012, 8:14pm

Post #20 of 44 (1007 views)
Shortcut
Good to hear [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll have to remember to call my theater ahead of time to see if they've made the upgrade.

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 19 2012, 8:20pm

Post #21 of 44 (976 views)
Shortcut
See Owain's post above [In reply to] Can't Post

You will already be able to check Smile

TheCoon
Lorien

Apr 20 2012, 8:50am

Post #22 of 44 (1009 views)
Shortcut
i emailed my imax theater like forever ago [In reply to] Can't Post

long story short theyre ON IT!!!!!! (my imax theater is a bit of a distance compared to my norlal theater if only they had imax but im going there for this one!!!!)

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 20 2012, 9:04am

Post #23 of 44 (950 views)
Shortcut
That's good to hear! [In reply to] Can't Post

I am slightly concerned that there are no cinemas around me that show 4k projection. I don't really understand much of this techno stuff anyway. Can someone explain to us lay-people what we need to look out for, so that we are seeing the film, we are seeing it how it's supposed to be seen Blush

TheCoon
Lorien

Apr 20 2012, 9:29am

Post #24 of 44 (924 views)
Shortcut
didnt really ask about the projection [In reply to] Can't Post

i was more concerned with 48 fps

TFP
Rivendell

Apr 20 2012, 10:40am

Post #25 of 44 (1017 views)
Shortcut
UK cinemas [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

OK, thanks. Looks like there are a fair number in Blighty. Vue, Apollo, Everyman, & Showcase cinemas.

I think I might try & book to watch in one of the big [London] West End ones in the first couple of nights.

Will entire multiplexes be kitted out or just their one or two biggest screens?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.