Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
New Hobbit Photo: Bifur, Dwalin, Bilbo, Bofur, Oin
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

News From Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Jan 28 2012, 9:39am

Post #1 of 49 (5178 views)
Shortcut
New Hobbit Photo: Bifur, Dwalin, Bilbo, Bofur, Oin Can't Post

Thanks to Ringer Wanderer for sending in this link!  MovieTalk at Yahoo! Movies has an exclusive new photo from 'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey,' hidden in an article discussing Evangeline Lilly's role as Tauriel. Enjoy! [Yahoo!]

alienorchid
Lorien

Jan 28 2012, 3:02pm

Post #2 of 49 (1734 views)
Shortcut
Cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

Great to see another little teaser of what's to come.

Does anyone else find Bifur's beard/moustache braids to be way too perfect? They look chequered to me.

ThorinII
The Shire

Jan 28 2012, 3:12pm

Post #3 of 49 (1742 views)
Shortcut
Someone is going to eat well! [In reply to] Can't Post

"Nothing stands taller than the might of the Dwarves"

Carne
Tol Eressea

Jan 28 2012, 3:15pm

Post #4 of 49 (1717 views)
Shortcut
I'm fairly sure we saw this photo about a month ago? [In reply to] Can't Post

The Grey Wanderer
Lorien

Jan 28 2012, 3:18pm

Post #5 of 49 (1801 views)
Shortcut
What I like in the photo is that Bilbo is clearly shorter than the dwarves [In reply to] Can't Post

which is just how I have always visualized it.

musterd
The Shire

Jan 28 2012, 4:05pm

Post #6 of 49 (1659 views)
Shortcut
Total Film mag first published it [In reply to] Can't Post

Yup it was in the Total Film February issue with Martin on the cover. But it was spread over two pages and the divider in the middle sort of distorted the picture slightly. This is a clearer picture.

Love how disheveled Bilbo looks!

GafferBoffin
The Shire

Jan 28 2012, 4:09pm

Post #7 of 49 (1717 views)
Shortcut
One suspender? [In reply to] Can't Post

How does apnea come to be wearing only one of a pair?

ShireHorse
Rohan

Jan 28 2012, 4:53pm

Post #8 of 49 (1662 views)
Shortcut
LOL! I just love it [In reply to] Can't Post

when Americans(?) say "suspenders"! In England, we use this word to mean ladies' garters. It conjures up a wonderful image of Bilbo adjusting his stockings. He would probably use the equivalent English word "braces".

Great photo! Really like how they all look here.

eralkfang
Lorien

Jan 28 2012, 4:56pm

Post #9 of 49 (1757 views)
Shortcut
Dwarven vanity [In reply to] Can't Post

I imagine that the dwarves as they arrive at Bag End are in, more or less, their best attire and their best braids. I like the checkered look of Bifur's braids, but I imagine they'll devolve as time goes on (and water gets involved!). It doesn't pull me out of the story at all.

I love that one of Bilbo's suspenders has fallen and his shirt is untucked; he looks like he's gotten dressed in a hurry, but not quick enough for the dwarves. Oh, Martin Freeman, you make a magnificent Bilbo. :)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jan 28 2012, 5:03pm

Post #10 of 49 (1664 views)
Shortcut
3D or forced perspective? Bifur's hand is huge! [In reply to] Can't Post

Unless they are trying to enact a scene from Dr. Tongue's Evil House of Pancakes!

shadowdog
Rohan

Jan 28 2012, 5:14pm

Post #11 of 49 (1628 views)
Shortcut
We wear our braces [In reply to] Can't Post

on our teeth. Wink

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jan 28 2012, 5:24pm

Post #12 of 49 (1567 views)
Shortcut
That'll never keep your trousers up // [In reply to] Can't Post

"...For if joyful is the fountain that rises in the sun, its springs are in the wells of sorrow unfathomed at the foundations of the Earth"

Macfeast
Rohan

Jan 28 2012, 5:43pm

Post #13 of 49 (1705 views)
Shortcut
I think we... [In reply to] Can't Post

...can safely say that that's exactly what will happen. For example, look at Nori's hairdo. From what we've seen so far, it's getting more and more unkept the further they get. Compare, his look in the first picture we got: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/...d3b4Fw/s400/nori.jpg

Then, in (what is speculated to be) Rivendell: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/...8Jed+Brophy%2529.jpg

And, of course, the tour down the river: http://i40.tinypic.com/6j1tl4.jpg It's actually quite impressive how well the braiding hides just how much hair Nori really has.

(This post was edited by Macfeast on Jan 28 2012, 5:44pm)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jan 28 2012, 5:57pm

Post #14 of 49 (1705 views)
Shortcut
My favourite part of the book was always the the part when... [In reply to] Can't Post

They all get into a rubber dingy and paddle down Long Lake. (Sorry, I couldn't resist)

"...For if joyful is the fountain that rises in the sun, its springs are in the wells of sorrow unfathomed at the foundations of the Earth"

Carne
Tol Eressea

Jan 28 2012, 5:57pm

Post #15 of 49 (1615 views)
Shortcut
They do indeed have quite big hands. [In reply to] Can't Post

Kili also is seen with a big pair in one of the vlogs.

Aeluin
The Shire

Jan 28 2012, 5:58pm

Post #16 of 49 (1594 views)
Shortcut
Wow [In reply to] Can't Post

I completely missed that it was Nori on the river under all that hair. Thanks for pointing it out.

--

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jan 28 2012, 6:59pm

Post #17 of 49 (1630 views)
Shortcut
Bofur, is that your idea of carrying plates? [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo is almost as tall as the Dwarves. In LotR too the height difference between those races wasn't that noticeable. I suppose it's correct, and the idea of Hobbits being clearly shorter was just something I got into my head for reason X.

<3 Gandy, Raddy, Sharkey, Ally & Pally <3

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jan 28 2012, 7:01pm

Post #18 of 49 (1749 views)
Shortcut
I had the exact opposite reaction XD [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah I feel too Bilbo should be clearly shorter than the Dwarves; but more clearly than here. However, this height difference is fine.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jan 28 2012, 7:07pm

Post #19 of 49 (1562 views)
Shortcut
He looks absolutely adorable [In reply to] Can't Post

Probably the other one fell off his shoulder in all the ruckus.

duats
Grey Havens

Jan 28 2012, 8:03pm

Post #20 of 49 (1541 views)
Shortcut
It's not in your head [In reply to] Can't Post

Average height of a hobbit is 3'6".
Average height of a dwarf is 4'6".

So the difference between the two should be a foot, more or less. Here, Bilbo looks like he's only a couple of inches shorter than the dwarves. It's a detail that I'm not going to fret over, but it is inaccurate to the books

(This post was edited by duats on Jan 28 2012, 8:06pm)

Voronw_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jan 28 2012, 8:47pm

Post #21 of 49 (1582 views)
Shortcut
Based on what? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm curious to know where your figures come from. I recall Tolkien giving a specific figure for Hobbits, but I don't recall anything that specific for Dwarves. That doesn't mean that he didn't; it just means I don't recall it. But I'd be curious to know whether your rather definitive statement comes from something that Tolkien wrote, or some other secondary source.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

www.arda-reconstructed.com

ShireHorse
Rohan

Jan 28 2012, 8:49pm

Post #22 of 49 (1589 views)
Shortcut
Apparently, PJ did make some attempt to employ actors [In reply to] Can't Post

who were all taller than Martin Freeman in order to show a height difference without employing trickery. Armitage is 8 inches taller and they are definitely all a lot bulkier than MF and so give the illusion of being bigger.

They are all wearing prosthetic hands too plus fingerless gloves or wristbands in order to make them look stubbier and hide the "join".

duats
Grey Havens

Jan 28 2012, 9:02pm

Post #23 of 49 (1497 views)
Shortcut
RE [In reply to] Can't Post

Dwarves were 4-5 feet tall, shorter than the average elf and man. I believe it's referenced here:

J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The War of the Jewels, "Part Two. The Later Quenta Silmarillion: Concerning the Dwarves (Chapter 13)"

The hobbits' average height was mentioned in one of Tolkien's letters I believe. Don't know which one specifically I'm afraid.

(This post was edited by duats on Jan 28 2012, 9:06pm)

ShireHorse
Rohan

Jan 28 2012, 9:25pm

Post #24 of 49 (1496 views)
Shortcut
Yes, you've got the heights right, duats. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin is supposed to be a particularly tall dwarf at 5 ft. There may not be a big enough height difference between the actors and MF/ Bilbo to be completely accurate but I think that PJ has done well with the actors he wanted for the different roles. IMO, the height difference is good ENOUGH. They definitely look like a larger race. Thorin needed to be the tallest and, since Armitage is the tallest except for Graham McTavish who is the same height, as has been said, they have built up Throrin's boots. That might make Thorin look almost a foot taller than Bilbo but still a foot shorter than Gandalf, say.

Voronw_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jan 28 2012, 9:30pm

Post #25 of 49 (1440 views)
Shortcut
That's a lot less specific than what you said before [In reply to] Can't Post

Nor is it even accurate, so far as I can tell. All it says in that text that I am aware of about the Dwarves' height is "The Naugrim were ever, as they still remain, short and squat in stature; they were deep-breasted, strong in the arm, and stout in the leg, and their beards were long." (WotJ, p. 205, paragraph 5.) That is consistent with what was said in the earlier Quenta as well (which was Chapter 10 at the time; see The Lost Road, p. 274, paragraph 124: "Their stature was short and squat; they had strong arms and sturdy legs, and their beards were long."

Can you give a specific citation in later Quenta text, or any other text, in which Tolkien stated a specific height for the Dwarves, either 4 feet six inches as you originally said, or 4-5 feet as you say now, or any other specific number?

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

www.arda-reconstructed.com

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.