Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Hobbit in 5 goes to New York Comic Con - Alan Tudyk, Four Tanks and a Healer, Cosplay!

News From Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Oct 18 2011, 7:46pm

Post #1 of 24 (1271 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit in 5 goes to New York Comic Con - Alan Tudyk, Four Tanks and a Healer, Cosplay! Can't Post

"Hobbit in 5" host Simone Boyce hits the big apple for a jam-packed weekend at NYCC. Check out the cosplay cuties, an interview with Alan Tudyk about "Firefly" and "Four Tanks and a Healer" now on TheOneRing.Net!

'Four Tanks and a Healer Episode 1: From the Beginning available on Youtube here.
Episode 2: Of Men and Noobs airs October 21st at 11am, ET.

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Oct 19 2011, 4:12am)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 19 2011, 6:51am

Post #2 of 24 (701 views)
Shortcut
*pulls out the mediocrity bench* [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll just take off my geek badge and sit here for a bit, given that I recognised ONLY ONE of those costumes (Princess Leia).

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

phredegar
Bree

Oct 19 2011, 7:02am

Post #3 of 24 (718 views)
Shortcut
Bring back Rebekah [In reply to] Can't Post

Irrelevant, no apology for late bulletin. More news and less waffle please. Overproduced and self-aware. Sorry, but true.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Oct 19 2011, 10:14am

Post #4 of 24 (664 views)
Shortcut
Overreacting much? [In reply to] Can't Post

There's not much news to report on anyway. And it's not like every episode is like the Comic-Con one. In my opinion, even though i liked Rebekah, the new host speaks more clearly. As a non native english speaker, that's important to me.

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Oct 19 2011, 10:15am)

geordie
Tol Eressea

Oct 19 2011, 10:47am

Post #5 of 24 (618 views)
Shortcut
I like Simone [In reply to] Can't Post

- it's true, I do! Smile

I don't see anything wrong with this report. if there is no 'new' News, you wouldn't want her to make stuff up, would you? That would be wrong.

Tongue

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 19 2011, 6:47pm

Post #6 of 24 (600 views)
Shortcut
I find Simone more natural. [In reply to] Can't Post

Nothing against Rebecca - she did a good job - but I see less of a persona and more of herself in Simone.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

phredegar
Bree

Oct 20 2011, 2:03pm

Post #7 of 24 (561 views)
Shortcut
News? [In reply to] Can't Post

There's always news! I can't believe that a multi million project like this doesn't ever have any news!

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Oct 20 2011, 2:09pm

Post #8 of 24 (601 views)
Shortcut
Tell me which multi million dollar project has news every week... // [In reply to] Can't Post

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 20 2011, 8:30pm

Post #9 of 24 (558 views)
Shortcut
Especially a year before its release. [In reply to] Can't Post

Most people never even hear about productions this far out, and we've had quite a bit of advance news overall. If we're not getting more right now, it's because they're too busy making the movie to talk about it. Even a blog post takes time to write, not to mention the time involved in filming and editing video blogs. We'll hear when they have the time and energy to spare for it. Smile

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 20 2011, 8:48pm

Post #10 of 24 (559 views)
Shortcut
The 2012 US Presidential Election. [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually a week or two of no news may be a good thing....

How many months to Hobbiton?
Six and ten.
Can I get there by candle-light?
Yes, there and back again.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 21 2011, 1:37pm

Post #11 of 24 (551 views)
Shortcut
More noise than news// [In reply to] Can't Post

taekotemple
Grey Havens

Oct 23 2011, 5:06am

Post #12 of 24 (495 views)
Shortcut
Also, I'm sure any info they put out has to go through WB's legal department. [In reply to] Can't Post

If they make even the extras practically sign away their firstborns so our friends here who are extras in The Hobbit can't tell us anything, then even the higher ups in production, even PJ himself, would probably need to get approval through legal before putting out each video diary or blog or whatever. I'd imagine that's why we haven't seen answers to all of those 20 questions yet. WB needs to decide how much and what they want to share about the production for free online vs. how much money they need to put into it and get out of it. So, while it can take, let's say, 15 minutes to write a simple blog post, it can take days of work to get it approved enough to be put online.

Unfortunately, the movie business these days tends to be much more focused on business than movies. I for one am grateful we've had as much info as we have had this early on. And The Hobbit in 5 are doing what they can while there's a dry spell on the film news department.

“Tell me one last thing,” said Harry. “Is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?”
“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Oct 23 2011, 3:31pm

Post #13 of 24 (559 views)
Shortcut
What's this show about, again? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hobbit In 5. That's 5 minutes of Hobbit news. Sometimes the show doesn't go 5 minutes, but I know news gets scarce sometimes. That said, how many seconds of Hobbit news was in the last episode? If you can't get official material, get materials from, say, the very discussions on these forums; maybe some things about The Hobbit, the book, itself.

I found Rebekah more natural, less Hollywood - like Peter Jackson. Rebekeh's bonus clips at the end, now missing or less frequent, were treasures.

And if the show goes any further on the Entertainment Tonight bling railroad where even the loosest segue qualifies as Hobbit News... Well, let's just say if you were doing a show on Kevin Bacon, everyone knows you could cover the entire world on his Six Degrees of Separation without ever doing a story about Kevin himself.

- "Executive Producer" JWPlatt

P.S. Sorry if this seems harsh. I do volunteer work myself where sometimes no good dead seems to go unpunished. I know these people do it because they enjoy it. Every once in a while, though, a good friend here or there gives me some sound criticism that needs to be considered.

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Oct 23 2011, 3:37pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 24 2011, 3:39pm

Post #14 of 24 (514 views)
Shortcut
Once bitten. [In reply to] Can't Post

Warner already got into huge trouble with their teasing lead up to their "big" December 15, 2009 announcement. Marketing thought the release of the LOTR Blu-ray would be big news. The fans thought differently. Many fans were thoroughly outraged and the feedback got very nasty very quick. I bet some bright young VP lost their job over that public relations miscalculation. Needless to say, I doubt anyone in Warner Brothers' legal department is going to release the slightest shred of information without getting every higher-up's signature they can think of on the approval form. In other words, not likely.

Fans get what they sow.

Five and ten.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Oct 24 2011, 7:17pm

Post #15 of 24 (482 views)
Shortcut
What? [In reply to] Can't Post

What announcement? The date doesn't ring a bell, so how much outrage was there? About what? You don't mention. LOTR BDs are more recent news and the only outrage I know of is about the green tint on FOTR. That is clearly not what you refer to.

Care to elaborate for those who weren't part of the outrage?

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Oct 24 2011, 7:17pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 24 2011, 7:51pm

Post #16 of 24 (470 views)
Shortcut
The April 2010 release date of the LOTR TE Blu-rays [In reply to] Can't Post

For an example:

http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=228370#228370

Other fan sites weren't quite as polite.

Five and ten.

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Oct 24 2011, 7:52pm)

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Oct 24 2011, 8:04pm

Post #17 of 24 (493 views)
Shortcut
Um, really? [In reply to] Can't Post

Ugh. I was hoping you'd be capable of summarizing the issue in your own words, or at least point to an article in a publication of substance. I'm not going to try to get context from reading an entire forum thread. That sounds like something a bad, lazy PR person would tell me to do.

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 24 2011, 8:13pm

Post #18 of 24 (470 views)
Shortcut
How sweet! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Ugh. I was hoping you'd be capable of summarizing the issue in your own words, or at least point to an article in a publication of substance. I'm not going to try to get context from reading an entire forum thread. That sounds like something a bad, lazy PR person would tell me to do.

You definitely have a way of encouraging me to have a conversation with you.

Kisses.

Five and ten.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Oct 24 2011, 9:11pm

Post #19 of 24 (469 views)
Shortcut
Sorry [In reply to] Can't Post

I was in a rush. I meant to say "Marketing person" instead of "PR person" so you could more closely identify with the point, and I meant to use a smilie. It would have been much funnier that way.

But I've seen no substantive reason to believe some Marketing person would or should have been fired due to your vague, unsupported claim that there was some issue beyond your own personal objections. However, the same could be said of the green tint, so I remain open to your reasons. Wink

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Oct 24 2011, 9:16pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 24 2011, 11:47pm

Post #20 of 24 (464 views)
Shortcut
It was more than one person's objections [In reply to] Can't Post

perhaps you haven't had a chance (or don't intend to) read that thread. But there not only was a lot of ill will being focused on WB for that event - or non event as you will - here but at other forums as well. I don't think Darkstone's claims (although I'm not sure 'claim' is the right word), were unsupported. Perhaps vague if you chose not to read through the thread but the thread wasn't vague at all.

I went back and reread my posts from that issue and was reminded how irritated I was ... and I wasn't even that invested in The Hobbit. I do remember being very put off by how it all went down. I can see where it might be hard, from that one thread, to trace back how it all played out. But I think Darkstone has a point. If you'd like more info, you can always ask.

fwiw: I approached my comments (in that thread) partially from a marketing point of view. (since my job involves marketing) And I think I made some good points. But then.. I always do. That doesn't necessarily mean much, I suppose.

LOTR soundtrack website
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Oct 24 2011, 11:52pm

Post #21 of 24 (465 views)
Shortcut
For what it's worth [In reply to] Can't Post

I always thing you make good points.

And I was pretty irate about that whole "big announcement" thing and how it it was made to seem like it was about the Hobbit films, but wasn't.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

www.arda-reconstructed.com

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Oct 25 2011, 12:54am

Post #22 of 24 (455 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

P.S. Sorry if this seems harsh. I do volunteer work myself where sometimes no good dead seems to go unpunished. I know these people do it because they enjoy it. Every once in a while, though, a good friend here or there gives me some sound criticism that needs to be considered.

Since you mention it, you have ruffled a few feathers by demanding that you be spoon fed information rather than doing a little digging of your own. While waiting for new news perhaps you could catch up on the many twists and turns the production took while in development? It is a long and fascinating study that provided literally years of talking points around here.

Your point here:

And if the show goes any further on the Entertainment Tonight bling railroad where even the loosest segue qualifies as Hobbit News... Well, let's just say if you were doing a show on Kevin Bacon, everyone knows you could cover the entire world on his Six Degrees of Separation without ever doing a story about Kevin himself.

Reading between the lines what I think you are saying is when news isn't trickling in from elsewhere, H5 might engage in a little original journalism of their own? That is not a horrible idea, but how one would do such a thing on a shoe-string budget from half-way around the world is anyone's guess. The show is a round up dealie. And tracking down those involved for interviews only to be told they can't say anything would seem to me counter productive. Annnnddd don't forget, H5 is free...

PS. I like Simone too. The intro photos were completely unnecessary though, and I had my reservations because of them. However after seeing her in action, I was immediately struck by what an excellent choice she was -- and continues to be -- for host of H5.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Oct 25 2011, 12:59am)

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Oct 25 2011, 2:44am

Post #23 of 24 (500 views)
Shortcut
Kevin Bacon [In reply to] Can't Post

I dig fine on my own. If I'm digging for Hobbit news, that's what I'd like to find.

Your read on my Kevin Bacon bit is exactly opposite from what I meant. For example, if I choose to watch a show about Kevin Bacon (because I was digging around for news about him), I want to find news about him, not his brother and not the movie company his cousin started. Take for example "Four Tanks and a Healer" - the connection being LOTR's Mark Ordesky. I don't care when I'm looking for Hobbit news. The bling railroad I mention would be things like going to a glitzy show that has little to do with The Hobbit. Yes, I'm talking about Comic Con. You can't deviate much more toward Entertainment Tonight glitz than that.

But your read is exactly what I meant in my first paragraph. I agree that filling in 5 minutes with original content is too much for a few people to handle weekly. So maybe you have to shorten the show those weeks, or skip the week. But one could also do what Facebook did - with a good idea, make the users create the content to grow the business. HI5 has done things like ask for background and donations from viewers for credit. I think that's great. They've also done character studies - not easy, but also great. I'd like to see more. What if they get more viewer involvement with viewer-submitted stories, but require they be factual, positive and relate to either the book or the upcoming movies. A producing guest star might even arise out of that and become a community favorite. HI5 should just make sure to send them a DVD of the episode that runs their story and a T-shirt signed by Simone as their reward. That might satisfy your demand that someone like me do some digging on their own.

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Oct 25 2011, 2:49am)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Oct 25 2011, 5:05am

Post #24 of 24 (484 views)
Shortcut
Ah, I see [In reply to] Can't Post

You are mainly interested in "new" news. In the absence of such, you might be satisfied with user created content. In a way, that is what comprises the bulk of what one finds here at TORn already. But I see no reason why you could not send them a video segment, with permission to use it in the show, if video is your preferred method of communication.

BTW Please don't take the digging comment as a dig at you (pun intended). You said you didn't feel like reading a thread another member went to the trouble of pointing you to. That thread not only contains the answer you were looking for but illustrates profoundly the point he made in his original comment.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.