Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Let the Music Begin - Thoughts on The Hobbit Score

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Apr 6 2011, 7:07am

Post #1 of 22 (2404 views)
Shortcut
Let the Music Begin - Thoughts on The Hobbit Score Can't Post

On our message boards, there was a note posted from Doug Adams' official blog regarding Howard Shore and his future work on The Hobbit soundtrack. [Located here]

Doug Adams:
"Howard had his first extensive Hobbit conference with PJ last night. Incredibly exciting to see that ball beginning to roll . . ."

I know I found this to be very exciting news, more so than I could have anticipated. I'm sure I'm not the only fan of the films who considers the soundtracks to be one of the main points of enjoyment. And with the new films coming, we not only get to return to Middle-earth, but we get to re-enter that beautifully aural landscape as well. This got me thinking about what musical themes will carry over from the previous music, and what new themes we have to look forward to. Not being a musician at all, this is just an informal rundown, me thinking out loud, of what I hope to hear from the future The Hobbit score. (Please note, if you are unfamiliar with the story of The Hobbit, then this summary will contain spoilers)

I believe it's safe to assume we get to hear more The Hobbit themes. The book opens with a similar pastoral sequence seen in FOTR, and I don't doubt this film will do the same. It will be interesting to see how this melds with the dwarves' music since it has been mentioned that we get to hear some musical renderings during the Unexpected Party. Previously, the only dwarf musical theme we heard was in the mines of Moria, especially when Gandalf lights up the great hall of Dwarrowdelf. I'm very much looking forward to hearing both an extension of this big, grand music when we see the caverns under the Lonely Mountain and hearing the sounds of dwarven drinking songs. I'm quite sure they can party with the best of them, and I predict we will be hearing fans singing these ditties at The Hobbit parties in the future.

There is a return to Rivendell as well, so I'm sure there will be some Elven themes we are familiar with. The book has the Elves of Rivendell singing happy songs, I'm not entirely sure I'm looking forward to Tra-la-la-la elves, but I'm sure Howard will find a way to make the elves sound not quite so silly. And with Cate Blanchett set to return, for what should be the White Council, we should also get a return of Lothlorien musical themes as well. And whereas the Elven themes in LOTR sometimes seemed a little sad, to reflect the overall theme from those books of the impending departure of Elves from Middle-earth, my guess is that in The Hobbit, all the Elven themes will be a little lighter. The wildcard are the Mirkwood Elves, I'm expecting they will have themes unique to their realm and yet it will still sound Elven.

And speaking of the White Council, I'm guessing it get's a theme of it's own to help impart its importance in the events of Middle-earth. And while it will be nice to see everyone gathered in one place, I'm rather excited to hear a theme for Saruman the White when he was still good, with none of the darkness of Isengard from LOTR. Gandalf already has a musical theme, but we will now get to meet Radagast as well, so that makes at least three wizards with their own themes. At least, I hope we get clearly defined themes for each to help underscore their separate personalities and skill set. And this mostly wraps up what should be known themes and those extended from existing themes.

The Hobbit has several characters and races that are not seen in the later LOTR and so we should get a host of new musical themes to enjoy. The first coming with the Trolls, who I do not believe really had a theme of their own in the trilogy, but I do expect some sort of theme during their imprisonment of our merry band of dwarves and hobbit. The Goblins are also rather new, having been mentioned in LOTR, but we get our first real look at them when our party journeys into the mountains. Since they will be important in the later meet up with the Wargs and then during the Battle of Five Armies, there is no doubt there will be a series of themes for the Goblins. And of course, while in the mountains, Bilbo does have his first encounter with the One Ring and Gollum, both of whom have well defined themes.

Once the dwarves and Bilbo make it out of the mountains and are chased up the trees by the Goblins and Wargs and then set ablaze, we have our first encounter with the Great Eagles. The Eagles already have a theme of their own, but we should get an extension of that as we see their homes high up in the mountains. I'm very much looking forward to this whole sequence since their appearance will include some beautiful shots flying over the mountains accompanied by some glorious music. I'm betting this is a highlight theme for the first film, but that's just because I love Howard Shore's soaring themes so much.

Another new character who should have a theme of his own is Beorn. I expect his theme to be very different and unique and can't wait to hear the variations that should come with this two-natured character. Yes, I am expecting one theme for the Man and one theme for the Bear, and both should be powerful and visceral. A theme you will hear and know instinctively that Beorn is joining the fray, I'm already cheering for his appearance during the Battle of Five Armies.

When it comes to the Mirkwood Spiders, my guess is that they will have a theme that is a variation on what we heard with Shelob, including the battle between an invisible Bilbo and the spiders echoing Sam's fight with Shelob. Mirkwood on the whole should have a theme, similar to that of Fangorn forest, one that highlights the threat of the stream that puts Bombur to sleep and the other dangers of the forest. And of course, this is where we will hear the first strains of the Mirkwood Elves, the two themes intertwining as the Elven party lures the Dwarves further and further off the established path.

The Men of Laketown will have a theme all their own, as unique as Rohan and Gondor, so that they are clearly defined during the Battle of Five Armies and every other encounter we have with the town and its people. It won't be as ceremonious as Gondor's theme, but it may have a similar feel of isolation inherent and Rohan's theme. I can't wait to hear the signature musical instrument for Laketown, much like Gondor's trumpets and Rohan's Norwegian fiddle, there should be a single instrument that embodies Laketown's themes.

And this brings me to what I think will be the coolest and most magnificent piece of music we should find in the whole series of films. Smaug's theme should be terrible and magnificent and powerful and awe inspiring, just like the dragon is. From recent casting of Thror and Thrain, it appears we should be seeing Smaug's initial assault on Laketown and the Lonely Mountain, as well as Bilbo's encounter and then his attack on the mountainside looking for the thief and his angry retribution on Laketown that ultimately leads to his demise. So there will be variations on Smaug's theme to account for Smaug in attack mode, and Smaug in private as well. I can only hope we feel the weight of Smaug in his theme, a weight that should be Wagnerian in scope. Next to Beorn's theme, I am most looking forward to hearing the music that accompanies Smaug on screen.

And now that I've rambled on and on about music that does not yet exist, and is partly guesswork on my part, I ask you what you are most looking forward to hearing and seeing in The Hobbit. We've got some 18 months to ponder these points, I can't wait for these films and the accompany soundtracks, how about you?

Share your thoughts in our comments, on the forum or on Facebook!

=======================

Garfeimao is a long time event coordinator and staffer for TheOneRing.net. She is currently organizing the second 'Cruise to Middle-earth' - click here for more info. You've also seen Garfeimao on Comic-Con panels and involved in nearly all of fandom in Southern California.

(This post was edited by calisuri on Apr 6 2011, 12:32pm)

acheron
Gondor

Apr 6 2011, 12:59pm

Post #2 of 22 (566 views)
Shortcut
Boromir at the Council of Elrond [In reply to] Can't Post

Remember when Boromir began speaking at the Council of Elrond, how there was a very understated expression of the Gondor theme, almost in the background? The first time you watched the movie when you've never heard the Gondor theme full-on, you'd never notice anything. (And maybe even later if you weren't listening for it.)

I think a similar "reprise" ("preprise"?) of the History of the Ring theme when Bilbo finds it in the cave would be excellent. I don't want to hear it fully expressed anywhere, since the story is not about the Ring. But just a hint of it then, at one of the most significant events in the Ring's history....

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

Alientraveller
Lorien

Apr 6 2011, 1:07pm

Post #3 of 22 (569 views)
Shortcut
Old favourites and new - can't wait [In reply to] Can't Post

You've certainly made me wonder what a heroic arrangement of Saruman's theme would be like: could it be extended to the entire White Council? We could hear it faintly whenever Gandalf mentions his other business before the WC scenes.

I'm wondering if Smaug would share, or have a very similar theme to Sauron, he is afterall a literal sleeper agent whom the Dark Lord would've commanded to raze Lothlorien and Rivendell during the War of the Ring. Of course an arrangement of Sauron's theme would be heard but I'd imagine it be a lot less aggressive and creepier than his Mordor incarnation.

I'm curious if the Hobbit's Understanding theme will be heard, but Shore could very well compose a new theme for the Party to emphasise Bilbo's relationship with the Dwarves, how they grow to respect him as he becomes more heroic and the eventual betrayal, reconciliation and departure. Lastly, I can't wait to hear the Dwarves sing at Bag End! That'll be a hoot.

(This post was edited by Alientraveller on Apr 6 2011, 1:08pm)

renzn
Bree

Apr 6 2011, 4:00pm

Post #4 of 22 (515 views)
Shortcut
Bear or Man-Bear [In reply to] Can't Post

Be warned this is a spoiler alert. Word on the street is that Phil Harris will be the vocals for Beornís theme song. Millions have sung or tapped their foot along with his most beloved tune, the ďBear NecessitiesĒ he sung in Disneyís animated classic Jungle Book.
You wonít believe it since April 1st has passed, but I just made that spoiler up; however, as silly as it sounds, letís look a little bit closer at my off the wall statement.
Beorn isnít Baloo even though they take bear form. One is just in costume all the time
Beorn and Baloo both have a sense of humor and both get feisty when a bad situation arisesIím being a bit silly, but Iíve purchased all of the LOTR CDís and have played them a million times. I love the music, but I think it might be fun to have a little bit of bubbly music to tap my foot along with when we see Gandalf and Bilbo walking towards big olí Mikael Persbrandt. After all G. Del Toro told us that the image of the Hobbit will be brighter and lighter (at least until they reach Mirkwood).

Owain
Tol Eressea

Apr 6 2011, 4:46pm

Post #5 of 22 (458 views)
Shortcut
Thanks fir the overview... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Bilbo and Gollum will have distinctive themes as well.

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Snaga
Lorien

Apr 6 2011, 5:56pm

Post #6 of 22 (463 views)
Shortcut
Sorry to go OT a little but... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've seen all of the artwork in your post before except for the one depicting the dwarves hanging in the webs, and I'm totally blown away by it. It's almost exactly what I see in my minds eye when I read that part of the book. Can anyone let me know who drew/ painted that and maybe a link to a nice desktop size image of it? Thankee.

"Alas for Boromir! It was too sore a trial!"

-Faramir

Alientraveller
Lorien

Apr 6 2011, 6:00pm

Post #7 of 22 (437 views)
Shortcut
It's by Alan Lee [In reply to] Can't Post

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Apr 6 2011, 6:00pm

Post #8 of 22 (419 views)
Shortcut
It's by Alan Lee [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure what size your desktop is, but there's a much larger version of the illustration here.

rings7
Rohan

Apr 6 2011, 6:25pm

Post #9 of 22 (443 views)
Shortcut
Two Steps from Hell [In reply to] Can't Post

always makes me think of any LOTR/Hobbit scenes. Shore is brilliant and love him but he's like more classic.

Snaga
Lorien

Apr 6 2011, 6:52pm

Post #10 of 22 (428 views)
Shortcut
Knew that wouldn't take long. Thanks// [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'm not sure what size your desktop is, but there's a much larger version of the illustration here.

"Alas for Boromir! It was too sore a trial!"

-Faramir

peleowyn
Rivendell

Apr 6 2011, 7:26pm

Post #11 of 22 (418 views)
Shortcut
Don't forget the thrush song!! [In reply to] Can't Post

That should be a singularly beautiful piece ... I'm sure Howard Shore will come up with something brilliant for that one - I can't wait!!

"Look! There is light, and beauty up there, that no Shadow can touch!"

Garfeimao
Rohan

Apr 6 2011, 7:29pm

Post #12 of 22 (415 views)
Shortcut
exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

Until you got further into the trilogy, you never really recognized some of the earlier themes until you heard them again. The trumpet fanfare for Boromir is an excellent example and because of that one, I can't wait to find out what themes we get for the Mirkwood elves and the Men of Laketown.

Peace, Love and Rock & Roll,

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

Cruise to Middle-earth

TheGaffer

Apr 6 2011, 7:33pm

Post #13 of 22 (448 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf's Theme [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, I've been reading tORN listings for years, but finally decided to post something concerning one of my favorite Tolkien characters.

Gandalf the GREY should have his own musical theme in "The Hobbit" movie! He did have a limited theme (which included shades of "Into the West") as Gandalf the White in the LOTR films, but Gandalf the Grey never did. Don't forget, he was The Grey Pilgrim MUCH longer than he was G. the White. Mithrandir always seemed to be permanently "attached" to The Fellowship theme (from which most other characters were allowed to musically divest themselves).

What an awesome character to have his own song! After all, in "The Hobbit," Gandalf Stormcrow always shows up at very unexpected, sometimes unwanted, yet most crucial times. Can't wait to see how he does this in cinema--and music to accompany him would be magnificent!

I hope Howard Shore is considering my request. Then I can finally change my "Gollum's Song" ringtone to something more Maiaric.......

moreorless
Rohan

Apr 7 2011, 10:02am

Post #14 of 22 (373 views)
Shortcut
New Hobbit/Shire theme? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd tend to agree that I think Shore may well either compose a new theme for at least part of that section of heavly rework the old one. If you think about it the Shire itself is likely to be viewed in a different light,. this time round I suspect its conservative nature will be played up and it'll be more somewhere that Bilbo is "escaping from" rather than "fighting for".

Perhaps Shore could come up with a "tookish theme" that gradually grows during the films ala the fellowship theme as Bilbo's courage grows?

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 7 2011, 10:09am

Post #15 of 22 (341 views)
Shortcut
OH What Beautiful Thread.... [In reply to] Can't Post

on my pandora radio station, Howard's music from LOTR is in my pointy-little-ears alot, as I write here.. The opening article and jump ideas are SMAUG-MAGnicient. My hobbit-hole-in-the-sky has something Tolkienish-in-view? always. In the kitchen (3 commemorative Plates) In the Bedroom, the Intial MOVIE Poster of Frodo holding the Ring in his Hand, from FOTR, is Framed over my HeadBoard (It Has a very Renaissance, Mona Lisa coloraization feel), a HUGE Map of ME is next to it.

I went to The LOTR symphony at our Denver Center Symphony hall in 2005 and was a "squashed into Jelly", hearing it live.
In some ways examining the end-effect can sometimes Diminish it's "Arkenstone Light" for my ears, so I kinda-sorta need NOT to analyis his thinking too much of it, before be being Chilled to the Bone,(NAked in the DARK), Devastated...by what HShore has in mind.

I agree with Viggo's sincere comments in the EE commentaries that HShore's Section of the Lighting of the Beacons, "Hope is Rekindeled" with NO Dialogue or Singing.... PURE Symphony!...flying over NZ/ME...absolutely Nailed me into my seat, while my Hobbitly-Heart FLEW & Soared over the Mountains!

Having Howard BAck, & There Agian, is the Best News I could I have ever heard. xoxoxOldBombadil

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Apr 7 2011, 11:28am

Post #16 of 22 (370 views)
Shortcut
I don't think Shore will copy-paste the old theme... [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe play it in a different tempo or with different arrangements and instruments, but the basic melody should be the same I think :o

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Apr 8 2011, 12:06am

Post #17 of 22 (329 views)
Shortcut
My expectations are sky high [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember a quote from IMDB saying

Peter Jackson directing 2 films based on one of the world's most popular books, a prequel to the most successful franchise in the world (based on the world's second most popular book after the Bible) with the biggest movie budget ever will make people's expectations rise to unrealistic proportions.

While in my situation this is not the case (all films have their flaws) I DO have unfathomably high expectations of Howard Shore's score and here's why...

Howard did a wonderful job with Lord of the Rings. A score that he himself regards as his masterpiece.

While writing the music for Lord of the Rings he was already thinking about The Hobbit and has continued to think about The Hobbit for the last 11 years while performing the Lord of the Rings score at his live shows.

The Hobbit will allow him to re-visit, expand upon and perfect a masterpiece, a chance that artists very rarely get the chance to do.

I'm sure I'm setting myself up for a big disappointment, but there's still a chance that this will be the single best score ever made for a film and as long as that chance exists I'm going to keep enthusiastic!

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Apr 8 2011, 12:07am)

Garfeimao
Rohan

Apr 8 2011, 12:56am

Post #18 of 22 (303 views)
Shortcut
I think many of us have incredibly high expectations [In reply to] Can't Post

So Howard's every strain of music will be analyzed moreso than the previous soundtracks for that very reason. But you are right, he's been pondering this long enough that many of the themes could already exist and are just waiting to be put to the image.

Peace, Love and Rock & Roll,

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

Cruise to Middle-earth

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 8 2011, 1:25am

Post #19 of 22 (475 views)
Shortcut
Comparision to Richard Wagner's "Der Ring des Nibelungen"? [In reply to] Can't Post

Iwas listening "To the Ride of of the Walkure"
today was STUNNED in the way that That peice, written a Century before Howards' could have been much of a Inspiration for him. It's probably been disscused to Death of some of the simliararties to Tolrien and THAT OPERA! A ll powerful Ring, hint hint..xoxoOLD Bombadil

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 9 2011, 2:33am

Post #20 of 22 (277 views)
Shortcut
Doug's interview with Dunedain Radio [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm listening to an interview that Doug Adams gave to Dunedain Radio's program "Bird and Baby".

At around 27 minutes in, he is talking about the singing used in the LOTR score and touches on the fact that there is a lot of singing in the book but all that can't be included in the movie. So using the songs in the score - in often subliminal ways - "is a great way of getting that back into the picture".

I just thought this might be interesting to think of in terms of how singing from The Hobbit-book might get incorporated in The Hobbit-movie.

LOTR soundtrack website
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 9 2011, 2:49am

Post #21 of 22 (283 views)
Shortcut
Doug answers the question "What's going on with the Hobbit... can you say?" [In reply to] Can't Post

well, answers is a slightly applicable term. He replies. Push the slider forward to 43:00. (link in my prior post)

LOTR soundtrack website
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 13 2011, 12:56am

Post #22 of 22 (279 views)
Shortcut
Great interview! [In reply to] Can't Post

Got to get His Book! xoxoOldBombadil

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.