Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
A summary of 'The Hobbit' casting discussion so far
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16 Next page Last page  View All

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Sep 3 2009, 4:44pm

Post #126 of 383 (43241 views)
Shortcut
Here is a fuller list of candidates who have been suggested on TORN for Bilbo. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think these are all the actors who have been seriously suggested to play Bilbo in discussions on this board (including many threads that were moved here when the board was created in May 2008). The names you already list above are starred. I include Liam Aiken on the assumption that he represents one of your own choices and not an editing mistake. Tom Cruise has been named often, but I think always with derision as regards the part of Bilbo. As someone else mentioned, the most surprising omission from your collation is Colin Firth, whose name has come up many times, probably less frequently only than Freeman and McAvoy.

Liam Aiken
Jack Black
Hugh Bonneville *
Kenneth Branagh
Simon Callow
Ice Cube
Alan Davies
Patrick Dempsey
Rupert Evans
Colin Firth
Martin Freeman *
Ricky Gervais
Paul Giamatti
Ryan Gosling *
Richard Hammond
Tom Hanks
John Hannah
Tom Hiddleston
Phillip Seymour Hoffman
Tom Hollander *
Ian Holm
Barnaby Holm
Bob Hoskins *
Michael Hurst *
Eddie Izzard *
Toby Jones *
Skandar Keynes
Shia LaBeouf *
Donal Logue
William H. Macy *
Tobey Maguire *
Eddie Marsan
Danny Masterson
James McAvoy *
Sylvester McCoy
Ewan McGregor
Colm Meany
Dominic Monaghan
Sam Neill *
Craig Parker
Simon Pegg
Sean Pertwee
James Purefoy
Daniel Radcliffe
John C. Reilly
Jeremy Renner
Thomas Robins
Tony Shalhoub
Martin Shaw
Reece Shearsmith *
Michael Sheen *
David Tennant *
Robin Williams
Elijah Wood
Anton Yelchin

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Silmarillion in the Reading Room, Aug. 9 - Mar 7. Please join the conversation!

This week: "Of the Coming of the Elves" and "Of Thingol and Melian".
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Holbytla

Sep 4 2009, 9:08pm

Post #127 of 383 (45240 views)
Shortcut
Tom Hollander [In reply to] Can't Post

My vote for Bilbo definitely goes to Tom Hollander - he's perfect for it and not so well known that his personality would subsume the character.
He's also quintessentially English and would play the part of an unwilling adventurer brilliantly. Just take a look of this clip from In the Loop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-5v6ZMY4W8

if you don't know, he's the guy talking to the journalists at the start

(This post was edited by Holbytla on Sep 4 2009, 9:09pm)

weathertop
Rohan

Sep 6 2009, 5:52am

Post #128 of 383 (43528 views)
Shortcut
interesting... [In reply to] Can't Post

has possibilities!

Twit
Lorien

Sep 7 2009, 1:37pm

Post #129 of 383 (41884 views)
Shortcut
How about [In reply to] Can't Post

James Purefoy as Bard? He's a bit grim looking.

Steelsheen
The Shire

Sep 8 2009, 2:51pm

Post #130 of 383 (42509 views)
Shortcut
Colin Firth= perfect but for one thing.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Colin Firth is the perfect Ian Holm replacement, except for one thing...

... he is very tall, at least 6'0. that is the only thing that keeping me from letter bombing PJ, GDT and crew about him. i know height isnt too much an issue given that most of the time Bilbo will be surrounded by Dwarves (therefore just hire "big" actors, who are taller than 6'0 most of the time anyway), but i feel that the casting folks are looking at actors no taller than 5'9, which makes it easier to shrink them later in post. casting for other characters (men, elves) will be easier too if the hobbit and the dwarves arent too tall to begin with.

but yeah, if height is not an issue for the Bilbo casting, Colin's my man! Smile

sticklebat
Lorien

Sep 8 2009, 5:00pm

Post #131 of 383 (42594 views)
Shortcut
shouldn't matter... [In reply to] Can't Post

all that much...
the actors will be digitally scaled to the prescribed heights they need to be for the film...
virtually every member of the Fellowship were vastly different heights & they made it all work relatively seamlessly...
Colin Firth would be my runner up choice right behind Mr.martin Freeman...either of these two would be a perfect Baggins.
Attachments: thefellowshipofthering.jpg (21.3 KB)

ltcdunk
Bree

Sep 8 2009, 7:47pm

Post #132 of 383 (41580 views)
Shortcut
My vote for Bard is... [In reply to] Can't Post

Jeremy Irons. 'Nuff said.

"Not all who wander are lost..."

Elfriend

Sep 10 2009, 12:19am

Post #133 of 383 (44537 views)
Shortcut
Cast [In reply to] Can't Post

From this day forth, I'm using these boards.

That's a fine list sir :)

Twit
Lorien

Sep 15 2009, 11:01am

Post #134 of 383 (42634 views)
Shortcut
jeremy irons [In reply to] Can't Post

Thranduil.

mikehunt1974

Sep 23 2009, 6:50pm

Post #135 of 383 (43330 views)
Shortcut
Goblin King= TIM FREAKING CURRY!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Best Demon ever! Annd to voice Smaug how about going old school and hiring Clancy Brown! :) your thoughts?

Nesse
Lorien

Sep 26 2009, 11:01am

Post #136 of 383 (42831 views)
Shortcut
Eye candy for us females plz [In reply to] Can't Post

Awesome lists from one and all....but you have gotta have some eye candy for us females no offence to Bilbo and the gang so we gotta look to Bard and maybe Thandruil. Sean, David, Orlando, Karl, and Viggo sent our pulses racing I think Richard Armitage as Bard would be a good call but for me its gotta be Hugh Jackman. I would NOT like to see lots off Hollywood actors but I would make an exception in his caseWink

I think although Beorn has to be of a certain stature theres nothing to say he cant be good looking, so come on ladies who apart from RA would have you drooling all over your popcorn.

Nesse
Lorien

Sep 26 2009, 4:19pm

Post #137 of 383 (42018 views)
Shortcut
just a thought... [In reply to] Can't Post

Looking through a list of NZ and Australian actors how about Dominic Purcell for Beorn remember him from Prison Break and in Blade Trinity as Drake.

sticklebat
Lorien

Sep 27 2009, 5:01pm

Post #138 of 383 (43204 views)
Shortcut
Jackman as Bard... [In reply to] Can't Post

I can think of a dozen far better choices...
after the absolute stinker that was the Wolverine origins movie, I 'd really prefer to not see him anywhere close to The Hobbit...
I think we've been far too saturated with not so wow-able films featuring ole Hugh...(Australia)
no dis credit to his talent, but they'd be so wrong to go with a name like him...
Guillermo & Peter & the gang are gonna cast the right guy...I think they'll go with a less than heavy hitter...an underdog...
either Jim Caveizel or Kevin McKidd from the series Rome...would be awesome choices...

I think Tim Curry would be amazing as The Goblin King though...
he is one of my favorite actors...& he's very underrated & doesn't do roles that do him any justice anymore...this would be a good spot for that...

Tri duath telich na estel lin...a si gerich naid bain anirach.

mamph17
The Shire

Oct 12 2009, 1:54am

Post #139 of 383 (44492 views)
Shortcut
Dwarves [In reply to] Can't Post

I really hope that Jack Black is not a serious consideration. I just have this feeling that he just wouldn't work in the fantasy world of middle earth.

priell3
Lorien

Oct 26 2009, 1:51pm

Post #140 of 383 (43024 views)
Shortcut
Not a bad choice for Bilbo [In reply to] Can't Post

Colm Meany. He has that Hobbity look.

Destrier
The Shire

Oct 31 2009, 4:04pm

Post #141 of 383 (42098 views)
Shortcut
Only one [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree about the eye candy, but sorry, I can't think of anyone apart from RA who would have me drooling over my popcorn. He's the only one!

Nesse
Lorien

Oct 31 2009, 7:23pm

Post #142 of 383 (41635 views)
Shortcut
good call [In reply to] Can't Post

looking at him I think he would make a convincing Bilbo unless they want someone around the age of Elijah

Mrs Bard

Nov 1 2009, 12:49pm

Post #143 of 383 (42512 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm with you Destrier! Richard Armitage is the only person that springs to mind when I think of "eye candy" or "drool"...

sticklebat
Lorien

Nov 3 2009, 9:06pm

Post #144 of 383 (42686 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess there's gonna be some soggy popcorn out there...
and that makes me kinda sad...
soggy popcorn is no fun indeed...Unimpressed

Tri duath telich na estel lin...a si gerich naid bain anirach.

balinman
Rivendell

Nov 10 2009, 12:45am

Post #145 of 383 (42834 views)
Shortcut
christopher lee [In reply to] Can't Post

it would have been neat if christopher lee would have returnedSmile

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Nov 10 2009, 8:57am

Post #146 of 383 (43384 views)
Shortcut
He may, yet. [In reply to] Can't Post

This issue has been discussed a lot, most recently in this thread.

Welcome to TORn, balinman. We appreciate your enthusiasm (we're all excited about The Hobbit!), but I suggest you'll get the most out of TORn by reading at least the top posts and a few responses in most current threads, so you can be up to date on all the speculation!

The Rohirrim, by Peter Xavier Price

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

balinman
Rivendell

Nov 11 2009, 9:59pm

Post #147 of 383 (43137 views)
Shortcut
casting summary [In reply to] Can't Post

i want michael sheen to be bilbo:)

Cass
The Shire

Nov 14 2009, 2:22pm

Post #148 of 383 (43003 views)
Shortcut
wow [In reply to] Can't Post

haha wow, that's a lot of people there....O__o i guess i really should not be surprised though. xD

LuthienBono
The Shire

Nov 17 2009, 4:59pm

Post #149 of 383 (43252 views)
Shortcut
Richard Armitage for the bard! [In reply to] Can't Post

Being a fan also of Richard Armitage, I totally agree that he would make the perfect bard! To quote Destrier ''He looks like he's walked straight out of Middle Earth - he's a broad-shouldered 6'2", dark, noble-featured. He does grim and intense better than most and he's got the most beautiful, dark, deep voice... What's more, he can use a longbow and wield a sword convincingly, and he looks magnificent on a horse! He's also said in interviews that he's a Tolkien fan.'' Couldn't put it better myself!!

One of my favourite pics of Richard as Sir Guy of Gisborne

oneringbanner

Nienna
Rohan

Nov 17 2009, 5:18pm

Post #150 of 383 (42237 views)
Shortcut
Looks Good LuthienBono [In reply to] Can't Post

He looks to be a perfect Bard - and welcome LuthienBono. Nice to see knew names.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.