Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
False rumour or...? According to this article on Marketsaw, The Hobbit will be in 3D and in 3 parts,

Theodred
Lorien

Aug 18 2009, 8:55pm

Post #1 of 15 (1680 views)
Shortcut
False rumour or...? According to this article on Marketsaw, The Hobbit will be in 3D and in 3 parts, Can't Post

even though PJ and GdT have said this will not be the case.The author heard this news from a trusted source. It also says Peter Jackson will direct the third movie, and Smaug and the other characters will be darker in the movie than in the book. So, do you think this is false information, or maybe...? Judge for yourself:

Code

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLCUzA6KMEw
http://www.ladyofrohan.com/funeralsong.wav

Buchanicus
Lorien

Aug 18 2009, 9:03pm

Post #2 of 15 (896 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

Seems like someone has received minimal/speculative information without researching the facts. PJ said there would be no 3rd brideg film which this article says there will.

This whole write-up just appears to be a 3D fan throughing out his ideas. I don't buy it.

TORn member formally known as ryan1976.

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Aug 18 2009, 10:36pm

Post #3 of 15 (863 views)
Shortcut
I'm betting on "false rumor." // [In reply to] Can't Post

"I deemed it the worst part of all my journey, the road back, watching him day and night, making him walk before me with a halter on his neck, gagged, until he was tamed by lack of drink and food, driving him ever towards Mirkwood."

Barrow Wong
The Shire

Aug 18 2009, 11:38pm

Post #4 of 15 (854 views)
Shortcut
Balderdash [In reply to] Can't Post

Just my simple opinion, but I didn't believe this guy in 1997 when he made this claim and after all the Peter Jackson had to say at Comic-Con, very specifically saying "no 3D for Hobbit' I tend to think of this guy as not being trust-worthy. Its a serious charge but I think he is either lying or being lied to.

Jackson talked about this a lot with James Cameron when the two of them spoke at Comic-Con. He didn't say, "We are thinking about it," or "perhaps" he said. "NO".

His best source? Better than Peter Jackson?

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Aug 19 2009, 1:10am

Post #5 of 15 (841 views)
Shortcut
I'm betting on "calculated lie" // [In reply to] Can't Post

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

www.arda-reconstructed.com

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Aug 19 2009, 1:07pm

Post #6 of 15 (794 views)
Shortcut
As you said - false rumour [In reply to] Can't Post

IMHO. Or wishful thinking. I'm still believing PJ more than any other source. And what means 'trusted source' anyway? That he trusts someone doesn't mean that this someone has ANY knowledge about anything! Really wish these guys would research the FACTS before posting nonsense.

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

TORn Link Collection

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 19 2009, 1:16pm

Post #7 of 15 (865 views)
Shortcut
Debunked by GDT himself... [In reply to] Can't Post

... over at LatinoReview. They mailed GDT and here's his reply (taken from off their site):

"Hola!!

All speculation, really and some of it quite wild (we are not even touching Gollum's design) and inventive.

G"

I hope this is legitimate as I simply ran across it via a Google News search and I'm posting it here in good faith Smile

"Crows and Gibbets! What is the House of Eorl but a thatched barn where brigands drink in the reek and their brats roll around on the floor with their dogs! You are but a lesser son of greater sires."

(This post was edited by Earl on Aug 19 2009, 1:19pm)

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Aug 19 2009, 1:36pm

Post #8 of 15 (844 views)
Shortcut
My point of view... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have exchanged a few messages with Jim Dorey, the owner of the blog. I can tell you several things about him:

-He does know things.
-He was constantly a few days ahead of information during the PJ lawsuit.
-I highly doubt he would be creating a rumor on purpose or for the sake of it. He's a good guy.

That being said, he's been fixed on this idea for quite some time now. 2007 to be exact, as he mentions in his entry. He assured PJ and New Line were coming to terms. He got that one right. He later assured PJ would direct. It seems at some point PJ did consider it, so I don't know how that went. He never really supported the del Toro hypothesis when it was just speculation.

Piece of information back in 2007 he was the first one (yes, THE first one) to talk about a third movie, a conclusion he took out from a very VERY inconclusive statement Peter made at the moment.

He has also reported that The Hobbit will be 3D since the Spiderhobbit days (Raimi rumors), so he's been consistent with his stories.

What do I think? He's really got sources. If he reported it, he really believes it. However he sometimes interprets things according to his very particular vision.

My personal take on this is that characters will indeed be darker, there won't be a third film and they won't be in 3D. But only time will tell.

Here's to Del Toro becoming the Irvin Kershner of Middle Earth!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 19 2009, 1:51pm

Post #9 of 15 (839 views)
Shortcut
I can vouch for Jim too... [In reply to] Can't Post

... he definitely wouldn't make stuff up off-hand Smile

I personally believe he does have a source who passes along information to him now and then. It's just that with GDT on the boards, we seem to have a more updated version of things, so when "others" begin speculating without knowledge of GDT's posts here (which, thankfully, do not always make front page news), their speculations seem either based on outdated information or simply far-fetched.

I'd say Jim is an excited fan of 3D technology who's just passing along the information he's got (while geeking out over the fact!) Cool

However, with GDT himself negating it all, I suppose Jim will follow it up... either with his source, or on his blog.

"Crows and Gibbets! What is the House of Eorl but a thatched barn where brigands drink in the reek and their brats roll around on the floor with their dogs! You are but a lesser son of greater sires."

(This post was edited by Earl on Aug 19 2009, 1:54pm)

xy
Rohan

Aug 19 2009, 5:05pm

Post #10 of 15 (741 views)
Shortcut
no way [In reply to] Can't Post

GDT or PJ never said anything about a third movie, or it being in 3-D.

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Aug 19 2009, 9:16pm

Post #11 of 15 (741 views)
Shortcut
Well, that is good to know [In reply to] Can't Post

I like to give people the benefit of the doubt BUT he is reporting something as fact in the public forum, that contradicts what is on the public record and he is relying on apparently a single source which has proven to be wrong in the past.

People can use those acting as journalists for their own agenda so its standard practice to get two independent sources or to hold the information.

If he is right, my hat is off to him but otherwise it seems to me he is being irresponsible and he is pushing the 3D agenda, for whatever reason.

So, I can go along with him being a good guy but either he becomes more responsible with his forum or he loses all credibility. He should be explaining that this is a rumor that he keeps hearing that will not die, despite all the evidence to the contrary.

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

Buchanicus
Lorien

Aug 21 2009, 8:23pm

Post #12 of 15 (679 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
If he is right, my hat is off to him but otherwise it seems to me he is being irresponsible and he is pushing the 3D agenda, for whatever reason.

I completely agree.

TORn member formally known as ryan1976.

(This post was edited by Buchanicus on Aug 21 2009, 8:26pm)

xxxyyy
Rohan

Aug 23 2009, 12:37pm

Post #13 of 15 (644 views)
Shortcut
3D? No thanks. 3rd movie by PJ and Smaug darker, yes please! [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't care about 3D. LOTR was in 2D, so the Hobbit must be in 2D.

I'd like to see a darker Smaug... I'd like to see a darker movie compare to the book, which I don't like, too childish.

3rd movie? If it's PJ behind this idea (and PJ directing it), that's perfect.
But If it's just something to make more money... well...

Patty
Immortal

Aug 24 2009, 5:23pm

Post #14 of 15 (611 views)
Shortcut
3rd film? Do they even have the legal right to do that? [In reply to] Can't Post

I could have sworn I heard only two were allowed.

Permanent address: Into the West

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Aug 24 2009, 9:39pm

Post #15 of 15 (612 views)
Shortcut
Jackson says no, but he may be wrong. // [In reply to] Can't Post

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Silmarillion in the Reading Room, Aug. 9 - Mar 7. Please join the conversation!

This week: "Valaquenta".
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.