Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
**Sign up here for "The Silmarillion" and "Letters from Father Christmas" discussions!**
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jul 23 2009, 5:43am

Post #1 of 44 (1519 views)
Shortcut
**Sign up here for "The Silmarillion" and "Letters from Father Christmas" discussions!** Can't Post

Here is the schedule for our discussion of The Silmarillion, which begins in a little more than two weeks. Please note your selection(s) in the subject line of your response, to make it easy for everyone to see which chapters have been chosen. The abbreviation "QS" below stands for "Quenta Silmarillion", the "book" which forms the main part of The Silmarillion, which is framed before and after by four more chapters. Note that some shorter chapters in the first half of the book have been combined into one week of discussion, while some longer chapters in the second half of the book have been split into two weeks of discussion. (For the latter, you can sign up for one or both weeks.) Also, in a slight departure from our two previous discussions of The Silmarillion, I have added a week at the end to discuss the appendices and the forewords -- the major change in the second edition was the addition of a new foreword including a long passage from Tolkien's 1951 letter to his potential publisher, Milton Waldman.

In addition to The Silmarillion, we will discuss Tolkien's children's book, Letters from Father Christmas (also known as The Father Christmas Letters), for three weeks in December. The three sections are divided so as to be of approximately equal length: the letter for 1932 is about twice as long as any other letter in the series.

Please feel free to sign up for two weeks, if you like, either one each from The Silmarillion and Letters from Father Christmas, or two from The Silmarillion. And remember, anyone can lead a discussion, no matter how new you are to TORN or the Reading Room or how experienced you consider yourself with Tolkien's books -- and it's easy! All that is required is that you read your chapter, think up some questions about what interests you in that chapter, and post those questions in at least one thread daily from Monday through Friday in your chosen week, followed by an "Open Discussion" thread to let others ask their own questions, and if you wish, a short summary thread on the weekend to wrap up the week. You're welcome to post more than that, of course!

I look forward to your selections!

The Silmarillion
Aug. 10-16 -- "Ainulindalë"

Aug. 17-23 -- "Valaquenta"

Aug. 24-30 -- QS 1-2: "Of the Beginning of Days" and "Of Aulë and Yavanna"

Aug. 31-Sep. 6 -- QS 3-4: "Of the Coming of the Elves and the Captivity of Melkor" and "Of Thingol and Melian"

Sep. 7-13 -- QS 5-6: "Of Eldamar and the Princes of the Eldalië" and "Of Fëanor and the Unchaining of Melkor"

Sep. 14-20 -- QS 7-8: "Of the Silmarils and the Unrest of the Noldor" and "Of the Darkening of Valinor"

Sep. 21-27 -- QS 9: "Of the Flight of the Noldor"

Sep. 28-Oct. 4 -- QS 10: "Of the Sindar"

Oct. 5-11 -- QS 11-12: "Of the Sun and Moon and the Hiding of Valinor" and "Of Men"

Oct. 12-18 -- QS 13: "Of the Return of the Noldor"

Oct. 19-25 -- QS 14-15: "Of Beleriand and Its Realms" and "Of the Noldor in Beleriand"

Oct. 26-Nov. 1 -- QS 16: "Of Maeglin"

Nov. 2-8 -- QS 17: "Of the Coming of Men into the West"

Nov. 9-15 -- QS 18: "Of the Ruin of Beleriand and the Fall of Fingolfin"

Nov. 16-22 -- QS 19: "Of Beren and Lúthien" I (ending with "But Finrod walks with Finarfin his father beneath the trees in Eldamar.")

Nov. 23-29 -- QS 19: "Of Beren and Lúthien" II (beginning with "Now Beren and Lúthien Tinúviel went free again and together walked")

Nov. 30-Dec. 6 -- QS 20: "Of the Fifth Battle: Nirnaeth Arnoediad"

Dec. 7-13 -- QS 21: "Of Túrin Turambar" I (ending with "rumour spoke only of the Black Sword of Nargothrond.")

Dec. 14-20 -- QS 21: "Of Túrin Turambar" II (beginning with "In that time of respite and hope, when because of the deeds of the Mormegil")

(Dec. 21-27 -- Break)

(Dec. 28-Jan 3 -- Break)

Jan. 4-10 -- QS 22: "Of the Ruin of Doriath"

Jan. 11-17 -- QS 23: "Of Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin"

Jan. 18-24 -- QS 24: "Of the Voyage of Eärendil and the War of Wrath"

Jan. 25-31 -- "Akallabêth" I (ending with "and the name of his queen he changed to Ar-Zimraphel.")

Feb. 1-7 -- "Akallabêth" II (beginning with "The mightiest and proudest was Ar-Pharazôn the Golden")

Feb. 8-14 -- "Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age" I (ending with "and he took no visible shape again for many long years.")

Feb. 15-21 -- "Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age" II (beginning with "Thus began the Third Age of the World, after the Eldest Days")

Feb. 22-28 -- Forewords, Tables, Note on Pronunciation, Index of Names, and Appendices

(Mar. 1-7 -- Free Discussion.)

Letters from Father Christmas
Dec. 7-13 -- Letters for 1920-1931

Dec. 14-20 -- Letters for 1932-1935

Dec. 21-27 -- Letters for 1936-1943

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Hobbit in the Reading Room, Mar. 23 - Aug. 9. Everyone is welcome!

Join us July 20-26 for "The Return Journey".

And starting August 10: The Silmarillion!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

squire
Half-elven

Jul 23 2009, 5:50am

Post #2 of 44 (1196 views)
Shortcut
QS 3-4: "Of the Coming of the Elves and the Captivity of Melkor" and "Of Thingol and Melian", please. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for organizing this! It's been a long time since I last delved deep in the Elvish part of the Sil.

I especially look forward to having Voronwe the Faithful along for the ride this time, with his boundless knowledge of how The Silmarillion isn't really the Silmarillion.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jul 23 2009, 6:57am

Post #3 of 44 (1170 views)
Shortcut
Nov. 2-8, Of the coming of Men into the West. [In reply to] Can't Post

Never dared to do a Sil chapter before, but having survived LotR several times, Letters, and Art, I don't see why not...

The Rohirrim, by Peter Xavier Price

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

sador
Half-elven

Jul 23 2009, 8:39am

Post #4 of 44 (1172 views)
Shortcut
Nov. 30-Dec. 6: "Of the Fifth Battle: Nirnaeth Arnoediad" [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll try.
I'm afraid I won't cover all the relevant part in HoME until then, or even how much I'll use what I have read - but we'll see.

"We will honour the agreement of the dead." - Dain.

Silmarien
The Shire

Jul 23 2009, 9:24am

Post #5 of 44 (1171 views)
Shortcut
Discussion [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi i joined this forum times ago but i couldn't be able to come here often and i don't understand very well how things work.
Can u tell me how can i join this group of discussion?
Thanks

Nai Hiruvalye Valimar!

sador
Half-elven

Jul 23 2009, 9:35am

Post #6 of 44 (1161 views)
Shortcut
Welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

The best way to join a discussion is to log in, get to the Reading Room, read along, and answer whichever questions you feel you can/ add you own comments/ ask your own questions.
Apart from the general eitquette of being nice and corteous there are no prior requirements. Come in!

This thread is about leading the coming discussions. Would you like to take a week? If so, go to N.E.Brigand's post, pick a chapter you feel interested in on a week convinient for you, and answer to his post.
If you just want to participate - wait for August 10th! In the meanwhile, you can join for the last chapters of discussion of The Hobbit, and also read any of the approx. 1800 threads we already have, and are still 'alive'; if you do so, some are bound to notice the new posts and read whatever you have to add.

"We will honour the agreement of the dead." - Dain.

Curious
Half-elven

Jul 23 2009, 1:56pm

Post #7 of 44 (1157 views)
Shortcut
You can answer questions or pose one of your own. [In reply to] Can't Post

The introduction to the Reading Room is here. Message Board FAQs are here. Anyone can join any discussion at any time. The sign-up is for leading the discussion, not participating.

acheron
Gondor

Jul 23 2009, 1:58pm

Post #8 of 44 (1152 views)
Shortcut
I'll give this a try -- I'll take Akallabeth I // [In reply to] Can't Post

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Jul 23 2009, 5:21pm

Post #9 of 44 (1157 views)
Shortcut
Dec. 21-27 -- Letters for 1936-1943 [In reply to] Can't Post

At last with an effort, she typed, and wondered to see her own words, as if some other will was using her fingers.

"I will take that week," she wrote, "though I've never read the book and have no idea if I'll even be able to come up with questions."

Because I promoted the Letters for discussion, I feel an obligation to lead a week. Unfortunately, I have no idea if I’ll be able to come up with things to ask, having never tried before! What if I come up blank? Has that ever happened here before?

~~~~~~~~

The TORNsib formerly known as Galadriel.

Curious
Half-elven

Jul 23 2009, 5:24pm

Post #10 of 44 (1170 views)
Shortcut
Just summarize a section and ask [In reply to] Can't Post

"any comments?" Seriously, that works. I've tried it.

weaver
Half-elven

Jul 23 2009, 5:29pm

Post #11 of 44 (1144 views)
Shortcut
Sep. 28-Oct. 4 -- QS 10: "Of the Sindar"// [In reply to] Can't Post

Weaver

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jul 23 2009, 5:33pm

Post #12 of 44 (1149 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't worry -- you'll do fine!

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Hobbit in the Reading Room, Mar. 23 - Aug. 9. Everyone is welcome!

Join us July 20-26 for "The Return Journey".

And sign up for The Silmarillion!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Jul 23 2009, 5:35pm

Post #13 of 44 (1150 views)
Shortcut
Thanks. That takes the pressure off. [In reply to] Can't Post

Now that I'm not scared out of my mind, maybe I'll be able to think coherently and ask some other stuff. :o)

~~~~~~~~

The TORNsib formerly known as Galadriel.

weaver
Half-elven

Jul 23 2009, 5:45pm

Post #14 of 44 (1153 views)
Shortcut
I've got an abridged version of Father Christmas... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have the copy with "real pull-out letters" that was published in 1995; this version only includes excerpts of the text and reproductions of several letters.

There are six letters from 1926-31, one letter from 1932-33, two illustrations, and one letter from 1934-43.

What I have won't work for the schedule as you've posted it, but I guess I'd be willing to post something on just this edition, as it's kind of nicely packaged -- maybe on a weekend or even a bonus post at the end?

Willing to help, just not sure how...!?

Weaver

Curious
Half-elven

Jul 23 2009, 5:54pm

Post #15 of 44 (1151 views)
Shortcut
I strongly suggest preparing your posts ahead of time, though. [In reply to] Can't Post

It really takes the pressure off if they are already in the can and ready to go.

drogo
Lorien

Jul 23 2009, 11:13pm

Post #16 of 44 (1143 views)
Shortcut
"Of Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin" for me, please // [In reply to] Can't Post

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jul 24 2009, 12:18am

Post #17 of 44 (1140 views)
Shortcut
"Father Christmas" Letters 1932-35, Dec. 14-20 [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a 1976 edition (US printing via Houghton Mifflin of George Allen & Unwin's first ed.). Unfortunately, it only has full text for 1925-1938, plus a "Last Letter" whose date isn't given, but from the text is during the war.

Unfortunately, the division of letters precludes signing up for other than the mid-section, so I'm pouncing on it.

The Rohirrim, by Peter Xavier Price

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

batik
Tol Eressea

Jul 24 2009, 12:29am

Post #18 of 44 (1145 views)
Shortcut
QS 22: Of the Ruin of Doriath [In reply to] Can't Post

... I think I can, I think I can...

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jul 24 2009, 1:31am

Post #19 of 44 (1143 views)
Shortcut
I was wondering who was going to take this one [In reply to] Can't Post

It should be an interesting discussion.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

www.arda-reconstructed.com

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jul 24 2009, 1:33am

Post #20 of 44 (1147 views)
Shortcut
Oct. 5-11 -- QS 11-12: "Of the Sun and Moon and the Hiding of Valinor" and "Of Men" [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I can probably find something to say about these chapters. Wink

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

batik
Tol Eressea

Jul 24 2009, 2:51am

Post #21 of 44 (1145 views)
Shortcut
I certainly hope so!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jul 24 2009, 3:12am

Post #22 of 44 (1132 views)
Shortcut
I guarantee it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Evil

Saelind
Lorien

Jul 24 2009, 3:51am

Post #23 of 44 (1137 views)
Shortcut
Phooey! [In reply to] Can't Post

drogo got the one I wanted "Tuor and the fall of Gondolin" though I'm sure he'll do a much better job than I could even hope to do.Tongue

So, instead, I will take "Of the Voyage of Eärendil and the War of Wrath".

Silmarien
The Shire

Jul 24 2009, 8:40am

Post #24 of 44 (1141 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the info, now i got it.
I'll take a better look around for understand things perfectly.
I'd like take a week but for now it's better just partecipate to the discussions since i don't know how much free time i'll have for coming to the forum.
Thanks again Wink

Nai Hiruvalye Valimar!

Morthoron
Gondor

Jul 25 2009, 10:04pm

Post #25 of 44 (1150 views)
Shortcut
Oct. 26-Nov. 1 -- QS 16: "Of Maeglin" [In reply to] Can't Post

What the heck...maybe this time my slot won't be filled up with anniversary mayhem. Wink

Two novel-length stories nominated for 2009 MEFAs--

MONTY PYTHON'S 'The HOBBIT':
http://www.fanfiction.net/...y_Pythons_The_Hobbit

-And-

'TALES OF A DARK CONTINENT':
http://www.fanfiction.net/..._of_a_Dark_Continent

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.