Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Interview with Andrew H. Morton on Tolkien's Gedling

Beren
Bree

May 9 2008, 10:12am

Post #1 of 14 (1961 views)
Shortcut
Interview with Andrew H. Morton on Tolkien's Gedling Can't Post

It was my honor to do an interview with Andrew H. Moreton on Tolkien's Gedling, 1914: The Birth Of A Legend, a book about Jane Neave and Phoenix Farm.

Most people interested in Tolkien will have heard about Gedling, but not to much was know about Tolkien's aunt Jane Neave and Tolkien's connection with Gedling.

We all know she was Tolkien's aunt and that Tolkien must have had a special bond with her.
But one man went some steps further and did get a special interest in Jane Neave and Phoenix Farm.
He, and his research partner John Hayes, found out plenty about Jane Neave, who ran the farm and was said to be highly influential on her nephew, J.R.R. Tolkien.
Their findings are now published in Tolkien's Gedling 1914: The Birth of a Legend and I thought it interesting to ask the author, Andrew H. Morton, some questions.

Here is the transcript of the interview with Andrew H. Moreton.

'It is fulfilled. Even now a Silmaril is in my hand.' - tolkienlibrary.com

diedye
Grey Havens

May 9 2008, 12:30pm

Post #2 of 14 (449 views)
Shortcut
Ah, dang!... [In reply to] Can't Post

They don't sell it here, only in the UK. Frown

Want back for a 2nd season? Then Join the Campaign

Beren
Bree

May 9 2008, 2:16pm

Post #3 of 14 (418 views)
Shortcut
but they ship worldwide don't they? [In reply to] Can't Post

I really think this book is very interesting, got to have that one... and am already looking forward to the next one "Bag-end farm"... sounds fabulous info!

burrahobbit
Rohan

May 9 2008, 2:34pm

Post #4 of 14 (418 views)
Shortcut
Another great interview thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like Tolkien's aunt was quite a character. The theory that she had some influence on Gandalf is really charming and quite plausible.

View my Hobbit Film Adaptation Discussion

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 9 2008, 3:30pm

Post #5 of 14 (423 views)
Shortcut
Jane and the Wizard [In reply to] Can't Post

Fascinating - just fascinating! Thank you for that; I'm glad you were able to do that interview.

But the farm is gone? Such a loss...Frown

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

weaver
Half-elven

May 9 2008, 3:44pm

Post #6 of 14 (395 views)
Shortcut
thank you for this! [In reply to] Can't Post

Jane N. is mentioned a lot in Tolkien scholarship, but there's rarely a lot of detail. I did not realize someone had taken up some research in this area and found out so much. Very interesting interview and the book looks like a good read. Thank you!

Weaver

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 9 2008, 4:36pm

Post #7 of 14 (417 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful! Why is it that [In reply to] Can't Post

when I'm reading about Jane Neave's personality, impact on others, and her influence on J.R.R. I think of the Brandybuck's and/or Took's influence on young Baggins?

How fortunate that Tolkien had such a wonderful relative to connect with at just the moment when someone like her helped shape his talent for expression and writing. How many people have we each had enter (and leave) our lives that impacted who we are (and are yet to be)?

What a wonderful interview. Thank you so much!

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Beren
Bree

May 9 2008, 9:24pm

Post #8 of 14 (391 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the nice comments... [In reply to] Can't Post

It was my pleasure! I had actually heard about the book and then some month ago i wrote an article about it, because it was close to publication. Then the author himself contacted me (in surprise) that I had found the cover before he had even seen it... I then immediatly arranged to do the interview and this is the result.

I think studies like this are very interesting, since they tell us something 'new' about Tolkien and this book about Jane Neave tells us about Tolkien when he was still very young... a time when a lot of 'character shaping' is still going on and so a person like Jane Neave must have had a huge impact on Tolkien.

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 10 2008, 12:21am

Post #9 of 14 (374 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for this great interview! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a fascinating account! I love the idea of Aunt Jane contributing to the figure of Gandalf :-)

Thanks, Beren.

My writing (including The Passing of Mistress Rose)

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 10 2008, 1:20am

Post #10 of 14 (357 views)
Shortcut
Fate called [In reply to] Can't Post

and you heard :) *bows deeply*

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

May 11 2008, 12:41pm

Post #11 of 14 (332 views)
Shortcut
Wow! THAT's great research work, [In reply to] Can't Post

and of the kind I love most: shedding some extra light on Tolkien as a person, and on the very special other persons he loved and who had a formative influence on him, his ideals and his imagination...
I think you are quite right: Jane must have been a substitute mother for him to some extent, after the poor boy lost his real mother. And Gandalf does have that 'motherly' side to him too, under his grumpy appearance... Think of Pippin, and of the Hobbits in general!
Like Gandalf too, this remarkable lady was both very intelligent and learned on the one hand, and on the other hand loved the charming countryside of 'The Shire', not feeling herself too important and too high to live there, farming...
Thank you for this, dear Beren!...

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

(This post was edited by mae govannen on May 11 2008, 12:42pm)

Elven
Valinor

May 12 2008, 12:07pm

Post #12 of 14 (311 views)
Shortcut
Thankyou!! ... [In reply to] Can't Post

This was a wonderful interview! Thankyou so much beren.
After reading it I went searching over the internet reading here and there about Jane (2 hours later Wink) ... it certainly sparked my interest, and I look forward to reading more.
Could you tell me, do you know what her birthdate was?
I couldnt find it anywhere .. just the years 1872-1963 ..

Cant wait to read further!

Cheers
Elven

Were off to Hobbiton finally!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Beren
Bree

May 13 2008, 4:34pm

Post #13 of 14 (307 views)
Shortcut
I'll guess we have to wait for the book [In reply to] Can't Post

probably it will all be mentioned in the book! Or the author(s) can answer your question for sure... if anyone knows it will be Andrew Morton!

Elven
Valinor

May 14 2008, 1:24am

Post #14 of 14 (270 views)
Shortcut
Thankyou again Beren :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

Were off to Hobbiton finally!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.