Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Gandalf Confirmed for The Hobbit!

calisuri
PTB

Apr 30 2008, 11:23am

Post #1 of 24 (1979 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf Confirmed for The Hobbit! Can't Post

Its confirmed - from Sir Ian McKellen himself.

“Yes, it’s true,” he said. “I spoke to Guillermo in the very room that Peter Jackson offered me the part and he confirmed that I would be reprising the role. Obviously, it’s not a part that you turn down, I loved playing Gandalf.”

[Read More]

The Mysterious Calisuri

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Apr 30 2008, 11:26am

Post #2 of 24 (888 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf is back! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is good news, to finally get a solid confrimation is great! Now all I need are confirmations for are Andy, and Ian Holm.

Also, it's great to hear that the script is going to be written soon! Smile

Ash nazg durbatulûk, Ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Elven
Valinor

Apr 30 2008, 11:56am

Post #3 of 24 (801 views)
Shortcut
and some script news! [In reply to] Can't Post

Dont you just love Sir Ian!! Heart

“Guillermo will be getting around to starting the script in about six weeks when he’s finished filming Hellboy 2.”

Thanks for the head-up on the interview calasuri!

Were off to Hobbiton finally!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

DiveTwin
Rohan

Apr 30 2008, 2:28pm

Post #4 of 24 (674 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for that link, Calisuri. Thus ... the real beginning of a process I was looking forward to - the confirmation of actors. One down, so many to go ... but looking forward to the ride.

deej
Tol Eressea

Apr 30 2008, 3:50pm

Post #5 of 24 (727 views)
Shortcut
Great news! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's all finally coming together - woohoo!

vtboyarc
Lorien

Apr 30 2008, 3:57pm

Post #6 of 24 (644 views)
Shortcut
heck yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm really psyched about this!!! Anyone other than Sir Ian as Gandalf, and it would be terrible! Its very important that he play Gandalf, and I'm glad he is going to! Its like what, 7-8 years since filming as Gandalf?

Theres some good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and its worth fighting for.

wilsonst541
The Shire

Apr 30 2008, 3:58pm

Post #7 of 24 (655 views)
Shortcut
Yahoo! [In reply to] Can't Post

No real surprise, but awesome news nonetheless.

weaver
Half-elven

Apr 30 2008, 4:24pm

Post #8 of 24 (661 views)
Shortcut
this makes me happy.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Weaver

Will
The Shire

Apr 30 2008, 4:42pm

Post #9 of 24 (618 views)
Shortcut
Me too :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Fantastic news, i could not imagine anyone else in the role, and its always heartening to hear of Sir Ian's enthusiasm for the part itself, i can only imagine how he and Andy must be feeling at the though of reuniting with this fantastic creative team, and of course being down in New Zealand once more.
Can't wait to hear more casting news as it rolls in
Smile

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

(This post was edited by Will on Apr 30 2008, 4:49pm)

elentari3018
Lorien

Apr 30 2008, 6:12pm

Post #10 of 24 (668 views)
Shortcut
I'm so glad!!!! :D There can never be a better Gandalf! [In reply to] Can't Post

yay for MCKellen coming back! :DHeart

"By Elbereth and Luthien the fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me!" ~Frodo

"And then Gandalf arose and bid all men rise, and they rose, and he said: 'Here is a last hail ere the feast endeth. Last but not least. For I name now those who shall not be forgotten and without whose valour nought else that was done would have availed; and I name before you all Frodo of the Shire and Samwise his servant. And the bards and the minstrels should give them new names: Bronwe athan Harthad and Harthad Uluithiad , Endurance beyond Hope and Hope Unquenchable.." ~Gandalf, The End of the Third Age , from The History of Middle Earth series

Aryawen

Apr 30 2008, 6:58pm

Post #11 of 24 (622 views)
Shortcut
Yes!yes!yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is amaaazing! i hope we hear about viggo and cate soon too!

mordor89
Bree

Apr 30 2008, 7:19pm

Post #12 of 24 (628 views)
Shortcut
GULLLERMO (sp?) will start on the script? [In reply to] Can't Post

i tohught PJ and that other one that worte lotr uh..walsh or sometihng were writing again

_V_
Lorien

Apr 30 2008, 8:05pm

Post #13 of 24 (600 views)
Shortcut
Fantastic! But I'm already "prepared for any sort of remarkable tale".... [In reply to] Can't Post

...though i have heard "only a quarter of" what one diligent scribe once recorded about him, and that was apparently a small sampling of all there was to hear....

“We talk occasionally and he’s looking forward to coming out of retirement, yes,” --Ian McKellan....I think he was talking about GANDALF coming out of retirement....as if Gandalf is another person

Well McKellan always said he loved playing Gandalf the Gray more, as it required a more nuanced performance....

Excellent. My LOTR Gandalf action figures will match up to "The Hobbit" perfectly.....

"Pleased to meet you, hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game"

Formerly known on TORN as "Draug the Unspeakably Violent"

Sunflower
Valinor

Apr 30 2008, 9:37pm

Post #14 of 24 (709 views)
Shortcut
And Cate, and Hugo Weaving, but *esp* Christopher Lee! [In reply to] Can't Post

but *sigh* Ian Holm cannot do anything but narrate...he should NOT be back as Bilbo, esp maybe for one scene in the 2nd film....

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Apr 30 2008, 9:39pm)

BuckyUnderbelly
Lorien

Apr 30 2008, 10:33pm

Post #15 of 24 (573 views)
Shortcut
Great news ... even though it isn't "news" ... strictly speaking! [In reply to] Can't Post

The board is set ... the pieces are moving ... Laugh

But here's a question for the group ...

We all have a sense of which characters will appear in a film of The Hobbit. We've all read the book. We know, roughly, how the movie will probably go. And we'll all be expecting casting to be announced accordingly. The only potential surprises will be found in the choice of actors. But we'll all have a pretty good handle on what roles will need to be cast.

But what happens when we get into the "Sprequel"? (By the by, I love that term, Compa!)

Will the production team hold back casting announcements for that film in an effort to surprise us about the storyline? Will they keep us as in the dark as possible? And I don't just mean that they might try to surprise us with actors returning from LOTR ... I'm talking about holding back casting information just to keep us guessing as to precisely which characters appear in the film. If we don't know who the movie's even about, it'll be a lot harder to figure out the story in advance!

Think about it ... this is the very first time in this entire series that the filmmakers have an element of surprise on their side. Do you think they'll take advantage of that? Should they?

I know that I want to know as much as possible about both of these films before I see them ... especially the Sprequel ... but just because I want to know ... doesn't mean I should! (Heck, just because I wanted to know more about the origins of Hannibal Lecter, didn't mean somebody should have spent millions to make Hannibal Rising! Sometimes it's best to leave the audience wanting more!)

Because, really ... in a way, we're all going to be movie firsters when it comes to the Sprequel.

And I have to say ... that's got me pretty darned excited! I'm desperate for more information ... but do I really want it? Really? Or will it be a richer and more rewarding experience to walk into the theater in a state of delicious cluelessness!?

"In Hollywood the screenplay is a fire hydrant. And there's a line of dogs around the block." -- Frank Miller

(This post was edited by BuckyUnderbelly on Apr 30 2008, 10:40pm)

SMB_BOOKS
The Shire

Apr 30 2008, 11:03pm

Post #16 of 24 (586 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf Confirmed! [In reply to] Can't Post

I am THRILLED to hear that Sir Ian will be back to play Gandalf in The Hobbit. It is great to see this project coming together. I've been watching the "behind-the-scenes" stuff on my LOTR DVDs a lot lately. Made me realize how much I missed all the excitement when those movies came out. Now there's a new one to be excited about!

Bilbo the Rover
The Shire

Apr 30 2008, 11:16pm

Post #17 of 24 (563 views)
Shortcut
Great News ! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't see anyone else in the role, Sir Ian IS Gandalf ! I love that he LOVES the character of Gandalf the Grey so much and is excited to pick up the staff and hat again....well , maybe not the hat Smile

Photobucket

(This post was edited by Bilbo the Rover on Apr 30 2008, 11:16pm)

Elenedhel
Rivendell

Apr 30 2008, 11:50pm

Post #18 of 24 (542 views)
Shortcut
Woo-hoo!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I had a feeling he'd do it, but it's great to finally get conformation!!! Welcome back, Sir Ian!!!!

"O Elbereth! Gilthoniel!
We still remember, we who dwell
In this far land beneath the trees,
Thy starlight on the Western Seas."

wilsonst541
The Shire

May 1 2008, 12:42am

Post #19 of 24 (537 views)
Shortcut
My two cents... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm desperate for more information ... but do I really want it? Really? Or will it be a richer and more rewarding experience to walk into the theater in a state of delicious cluelessness!?

What a great post! I think you sum up very well the dilemma of the uber-fan - how to quench the desire for information about a movie without diminishing the enjoyment of the finished product. For what it's worth, I think we would do well to remember that as great as PJ, GDT and others have been in keeping the fans informed, ultimately we have to stand back and let them do their jobs. Every move they make is being dissected, celebrated, second-guessed, analyzed, etc. Predicting is fun, but I think it would be more rewarding to walk into the theatre with a love and understanding of The Hobbit, and then see how this great team interprets it on film.

My two cents. I really appreciate the honesty of the original post, though.

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

May 1 2008, 2:43am

Post #20 of 24 (529 views)
Shortcut
High fives all round [In reply to] Can't Post

it's wonderful that Sir Ian's back as Gandalf, god so excited can barely type!!!!! SmileSmileSmileSmileSmile

There he stood
Proud and solemn
Yet happy and gay

Peredhil lover
Valinor

May 1 2008, 6:15am

Post #21 of 24 (521 views)
Shortcut
All of them [In reply to] Can't Post

Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens and Guillermo del Toro together.

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

ringbearer9
Lorien

May 2 2008, 1:07am

Post #22 of 24 (472 views)
Shortcut
YESsssss! [In reply to] Can't Post

Not sure If I woulda seen the movie if the wasn't in it!

maut
Rivendell

May 2 2008, 7:34am

Post #23 of 24 (461 views)
Shortcut
I'm happy now! [In reply to] Can't Post

Nothing more to say... Welcome back, mr. Gandalf!

One Ring to rule them all,
one Ring to find them,
oneRing to bring them all,
and in darkness bind them!

Owain
Tol Eressea

May 2 2008, 9:47pm

Post #24 of 24 (481 views)
Shortcut
Sigh of relief [In reply to] Can't Post

This is exciting! Bravo Ian McKellan!!!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.