Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Andy Serkis as Gollum confirmed

Gethsemane
The Shire

Apr 28 2008, 2:42am

Post #1 of 22 (1606 views)
Shortcut
Andy Serkis as Gollum confirmed Can't Post

Probably not hot news a such, particularly after Guillermo 90% confirmed to Xoanon in his recent interview that

I had the most charming meeting with Sir Ian, and all bureaucracy pending, hes on board, as is Andy Serkis.

However even after the above statement Andy's US and UK PR contacts wouldn't confirm the above, that's until now. Wink I noticed Andy had updated his website earlier with this wonderful bit of news.

http://www.serkis.com/cinema.htm

THE HOBBIT
Director: Guillermo del Toro
Role: Gollum

Tbh i never doubted Andy's involvement in the Hobbit. I've always thought he deserved every bit of acknowledgment he was given for his part in the creation of Gollum, in fact i thought he deserved the Oscar for best supporting actor! But that said, i've a similar opinion for various members of the cast. I sometimes feel the high Level of acting ability on display in LOTR is something not always noted. Maybe that's acknowledgement in itself....

Still its good to have it confirmed from Mr precious himself! Damn it's been a good couple of days for this old dreamer.

it's good to have an end to journey towards, but it's the journey that matters in the end

(This post was edited by Gethsemane on Apr 28 2008, 2:49am)

Elven
Valinor

Apr 28 2008, 3:05am

Post #2 of 22 (676 views)
Shortcut
More amazing news .. [In reply to] Can't Post

even if it was expected - its just raises my confidence in the entire process that it is confirmed!!

Congratulations to Andy Smile, Gollum Evil and Smeagol! Angelic

Were off to Hobbiton finally!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Tampa Phil
Rivendell

Apr 28 2008, 3:15am

Post #3 of 22 (544 views)
Shortcut
Re/ [In reply to] Can't Post

Andy will be doing motion capture for Smaug.

To prepare for this, he is going to watch Reign Of Fire about 50 times.

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Apr 28 2008, 3:17am

Post #4 of 22 (534 views)
Shortcut
Nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's also nice to see both McKellen and Serkis listing their roles in 2010. Better for us!

That would make Del Toro's four/five years:

August 2008 through June 2009: Preproduction
Second semester 2009: Principal photography
2010: postproduction for The Hobbit and release
2011: postproduction for the sprequel and its release
2012: Extended editions

It still puzzles me... are they really releasing Death Hallows part 1 at the same time as The Hobbit? (1 month difference)

Here's to Del Toro becoming the Irvin Kershner of Middle Earth!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

Gethsemane
The Shire

Apr 28 2008, 3:20am

Post #5 of 22 (557 views)
Shortcut
agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

Im with you elven Smile

on a side note i thought TORN's frontpage would have tipped it's hat to me for sending the above info along, even if hat tipping wasnt my intent Unsure UnimpressedWink

ahh well good news all the same.

it's good to have an end to journey towards, but it's the journey that matters in the end

(This post was edited by Gethsemane on Apr 28 2008, 3:28am)

Sunflower
Valinor

Apr 28 2008, 3:21am

Post #6 of 22 (572 views)
Shortcut
And here we freakin' go again. [In reply to] Can't Post

If the folks at Variety (and the mainstream media) did their homework, they'd know by now not to use condescending words like "fanboy." You'd think that after a historic Oscar sweep, they'd know a Tolkien adaptation isn't just another "geek/nerd/comic/ action figure/blockbuster/franchise project. Well, it is...a franchise But the omlylitrary franchise....do we have to overcome all this crap again? With GDT at the helm, it's an even BIGGER insult.

At first I didn't care what they called Tolkien fans but as the months went by and we fans were still called "nerds" and "fanboys" it REALLY got under my skin. Which was why I wanted it so to win a BP Oscar.

*sigh* here we go again....

Fantastic to see our Andy confirmed. "I loves to hear that precioussssss Gollum voice again, yes we does....no we don't, gollum,gollum!"

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Apr 28 2008, 3:26am)

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Apr 28 2008, 3:38am

Post #7 of 22 (504 views)
Shortcut
Yesssssssss [In reply to] Can't Post

There he stood
Proud and solemn
Yet happy and gay

ShadoFaxs
Rivendell

Apr 28 2008, 3:39am

Post #8 of 22 (516 views)
Shortcut
"Fanboys" indeed! [In reply to] Can't Post

I am a geeky fangirl and proud of it! Moreover, I'm an old fangurl, so if they aren't careful I'll sue the clueless buggers for age discrimination.

If I had $5 for every time entertainment writers wrote lazy, cheapshot, superficial articles about the LOTR movies I could've retired in 2004. Now, with The Hobbit in pre-production, there will be more nonsense spouted by journalists who should know better but would rather write a cliche than expend any energy to write something true. I'm just not going to let it worry me. The movies will stand (or fall) on their own merits and they won't need media approval or Oscar statues for validation.

Some members of the press will no doubt continue to mischaractarize the fans and the films and make inaccurate assumptions. It's the way of the world.

Elenedhel
Rivendell

Apr 28 2008, 3:42am

Post #9 of 22 (530 views)
Shortcut
Thank Goodness!! [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit just wouldn't be the same without the original Gollum. Same goes for Gandalf. I just hope that they don't change the way that Gollum looks. That would be weird.

"O Elbereth! Gilthoniel!
We still remember, we who dwell
In this far land beneath the trees,
Thy starlight on the Western Seas."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 28 2008, 8:58am

Post #10 of 22 (514 views)
Shortcut
*wild applause* Confirmation is always good! I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

with you that there are several players who were ignored when it came to acknowledgment through formal awards. Shameful, actually, for Elijah Wood, Ian McKellen (nominated for FotR), Viggo Mortensen and Sean Astin especially to be ignored. I think it was for the same reason the system refused to award Peter Jackson until RotK. First, they didn't know what to do because they were "fantasy" films, and fantasy films don't win top awards. Secondly, if they awarded for astounding performances/direction for the first film, it'd be assured they'd own all three years. We couldn't have that now, could we? Personally, I'd say YEAH! If the achievement was as exemplary as these were, they deserved the awards. Typical Hollywood games.

wup... rant. It burns my gall how the players were dissed.

BUT, we'll see a change this time, hopefully. Andy Serkis, fersher, deserves praise for his incredible achievement and dedication to the films and his characters. *bows deeply* Thanks Andy! I'm glad you're not only back. :)

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Huan71
Lorien

Apr 28 2008, 9:33am

Post #11 of 22 (517 views)
Shortcut
I'd not thought of that ! [In reply to] Can't Post

The whole "first film...awards for the rest" thing isn't something i'd thought about... good point though!
I can just imagine a bunch of the people who decide who's best at acting and whatever else (exactly how you can compare i do sometimes wonder..?) in the movie industry, all sitting around a big, shiny (probably glass...) table in some huge boardroom somewhere, all appalled at having to give LOADS of awards to this "surprisingly" great fantasy film! Dear God... they might have to give them to ALL 3 films !!Shocked lol
I thought Andy did an amazing job as Gollum. Many of my favorite scenes were him talking to himself. It's great to have him securely back on board !
This is my first "Forum type" post i've ever done in my 6 or 7..(blimey, it might be more than that?? ) years if interweb thingy use... so i just hope i'm doing this gig right !?

Deni
Rivendell

Apr 28 2008, 1:40pm

Post #12 of 22 (476 views)
Shortcut
same here^^ [In reply to] Can't Post

EvilI agree!!!! It would be very weird ,when the charaters of lotr wouldn`t be the same in the hobbit...for example Ian Mckellen.....
who could act "gandalf" better than him in hobbit???
if those characters would be act by others...I think lotr and hobbit wont go together anyway!!!!!

sherlock
Gondor

Apr 28 2008, 2:31pm

Post #13 of 22 (464 views)
Shortcut
I agree with you about [In reply to] Can't Post

Andy Serkis as Gollum. He did a spectacular job!. The Two Towers is my least favorite of the three movies but I love all the scenes with Gollum. I'm watching it now and reading that part of the book and I think they handled all the Gollum/Frodo/Sam parts well. No one else could be Gollum but Andy.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 28 2008, 2:31pm

Post #14 of 22 (468 views)
Shortcut
Your "gig" is perfect! [In reply to] Can't Post

*high five* Awesome!! Nerve-racking isn't it? *snigger* I'm so glad you came out of the shadows to enjoy the fun! This is going to be FANTASTIC! :D

Welcome!

sample sample

Huan71
Lorien

Apr 28 2008, 11:18pm

Post #15 of 22 (439 views)
Shortcut
Thought i'd have to join in.. [In reply to] Can't Post

It didnt feel right not joining in with all the speculative banter an' that.
I wont be one of these "i am worried about this...(insert worst fears about upcoming movie/DVD release/toys in the shops/ directors taste in underwear etc...)".
I've spent a couple of months reading such posts and, i gotta be honest...they make me larf my dear ole head off.
Certain things were pretty obvious...Andy Gollum and Gandalf Mckellen being just two of them.
Was it like this before FotR on the fan boards?

"Futility is the defining characterisic of life. Pain is the proof of existance."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 29 2008, 12:15am

Post #16 of 22 (426 views)
Shortcut
Sadly, I came to TORn after [In reply to] Can't Post

the release of FotR (January 02), so I missed the insanity; but I've heard this is heading down the same path ;) The speculations are so much fun!

sample sample

Slayer_Of_Orcs
The Shire

Apr 29 2008, 1:09am

Post #17 of 22 (431 views)
Shortcut
Giddy-up! [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually, this would be a no-brainer IMO.

They have taken the bridge ...
and the second hall.
We have barred the gates,
but cannot hold them for long.
The ground shakes.
Drums ... drums ... in the deep.
We cannot get out ... the shadow moves in the dark.
We cannot get out.
They are coming ...

Slayer_Of_Orcs
The Shire

Apr 29 2008, 1:10am

Post #18 of 22 (428 views)
Shortcut
Same here gramma ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... and I don't have a lot of time to hang out on the site. However, I will do what I can and not miss out on the excitement.

They have taken the bridge ...
and the second hall.
We have barred the gates,
but cannot hold them for long.
The ground shakes.
Drums ... drums ... in the deep.
We cannot get out ... the shadow moves in the dark.
We cannot get out.
They are coming ...

Gethsemane
The Shire

Apr 29 2008, 5:59am

Post #19 of 22 (432 views)
Shortcut
Quality Acting [In reply to] Can't Post

Ive so many favourite lines and moment's within the 3 films but i have to say when Brad Diouf delivered the below

"Oh but you are alone!"

"Who knows what you have spoken to the darkness. In bitter watches of the night. When all your life seems to shrink. The walls of your bower closing in about you. A hatch to trammel some wild thing."

"So fair, so cold, like a morning pale spring still clinging to winter's chill."

Acting and scripting on the highest order imo. One of many such moments imo.

(This post was edited by Gethsemane on Apr 29 2008, 5:59am)

Huan71
Lorien

Apr 29 2008, 11:44am

Post #20 of 22 (393 views)
Shortcut
An intresting slant [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
the release of FotR (January 02), so I missed the insanity; but I've heard this is heading down the same path ;) The speculations are so much fun!

Then i guess it's gonna be quite interesting for you to see/be a part of the whole "is it going to be crap/mindblowingly amazing" thing this time around ?
(i'll watch it, several times, which ever it is!! lol)
What was the reaction to the movie's when you first came on? Generally very good i expect but was there much surprise and any "i told you so"'s ?
Also (so's not to stray from the thread lest i incur the wrath of....well, anyone ! lol)
I'd not heard of Andy Serkis before LotR's. I recognised his face, but thats about it!

"Futility is the defining characterisic of life. Pain is the proof of existance."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 29 2008, 2:34pm

Post #21 of 22 (428 views)
Shortcut
It was just like this [In reply to] Can't Post

SO many ideas and oooodles of speculation! "No, they can't do this" and "Oh, they must have that!" It had me shaking my head with wonder. However, there was a bit of a demoGRAPHIC difference here then. We had posters who were VERY outspoken about thier likes and dislikes, so the heated discussions had fur flying and tears of laughter flowing. We were always conscious of how intense we'd get, but the debates came fast and furious at times ;)

What a ride!

The first time I saw FotR, I bawled my eyes out at the beauty of it. I was transported and had trouble walking out of the theatre. Seriously, I was completely overwhelmed and had trouble just putting one foot in front of the other. Tears filling my eyes and washing the front of my shirt. Very attractive, I'm sure. Then I finally made it to the car and bawled some more. The ending music didn't help. It took forever for me to get home. Then I went again the next day... and the next... and the next... *sigh*

I can't wait to have this "first time" experience again. A magical gift I'm anticipating with mad joy!

sample sample

Huan71
Lorien

Apr 30 2008, 12:01am

Post #22 of 22 (391 views)
Shortcut
It wasn't QUITE that intense for me.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Though i was over the moon with how it had all been brought to life.
It was a spellbinding experience.
i saw fellowship 3 times. which for me is a big deal!
Did you have to drive yourself home then? In your "state" that could have been a bit dangerous ! lol

Your hoping for that "first time" experience again ?
Just like in the Madonna song "like a virgin..."Angelic
lol
Well, lets hope GDT is that GOOOOD! lmao Laugh

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.