Sir Ian McKellan as Gandalf confirmed
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Gethsemane
The Shire

Apr 25 2008, 4:14am

Post #1 of 41 (3415 views)
Shortcut
Sir Ian McKellan as Gandalf confirmed Can't Post

Apologies if this is old news to my fellow middle earth fans. I have been keeping a watching grace over recent unfolding events but hadn't found any confirmation of Sir Ian's involvement outside of everybody and the dog wanting him desperately to reprise his role. Anyway i noticed this change to his website:

http://www.mckellen.com/cinema/index0.htm

2010 THE HOBBIT
Director: Guillermo del Toro
Role: Gandalf

Think we can take it as certain now!

Your Geths

oh and a big hello to everyone

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 25 2008, 4:22am

Post #2 of 41 (2269 views)
Shortcut
*happy elf dance* [In reply to] Can't Post

It wouldn't have been The Hobbit without McKellan beneath the grey pointy hat. Now I wonder if Christopher Lee will be returning?

Geth, have you sent this through to spymaster@theonering.net? It's a good bit of spotting and I'm sure it would make it onto the front page as a news item!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Elven
Valinor

Apr 25 2008, 4:23am

Post #3 of 41 (2189 views)
Shortcut
Thats just as it should be *insert huge grin here* [In reply to] Can't Post

Thankyou for the news!!
This is just the begining of a fine and wonderful day by the looks of it!

There could be no other but Ian for Gandalf!
Ever!! Laugh

Its like watching a homecoming parade!!
I cant wait to see who else is on board!

Were off to Hobbiton finally!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

stormcrow20
Gondor

Apr 25 2008, 4:24am

Post #4 of 41 (2160 views)
Shortcut
AAUUGGHHH!!!!! YES! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for posting this Gethsemane!! And welcome!

WOWWOWWOW! This is it! I am absolutely beside myself with this news! I'm 'twitched' out!

Gotta go now....I'm sure nobody wants to see a six-foot, 23-year-old guy giggling like a schoolgirl......

"Ian is Gandalf, and Gandalf means he."

Laugh

~~~~~~
Círdan saw further and deeper than any other in Middle-earth, and he welcomed Mithrandir at the Grey Havens, knowing whence he came and whither he would return.
'Take this ring, master,' he said, 'for your labours will be heavy; but it will support you in the weariness you have taken upon yourself. For this is the Ring of Fire, and with it you may rekindle hearts in a world that grows chill.'

Nienna
Rohan

Apr 25 2008, 4:24am

Post #5 of 41 (2181 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf, I'm so pleased to see you again [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for passing on this great news. I mean to say, could Gandalf be anyone else??

ShadoFaxs
Rivendell

Apr 25 2008, 4:28am

Post #6 of 41 (2161 views)
Shortcut
You thought this was in any doubt? [In reply to] Can't Post

I sure didn't. This is the safest bet we've had.

Sir Ian has only been saying for the last 2 years how ready he is to be Gandalf again.Smile He's been pestering PJ for - well, for a long time. And saying he's cleared his slate so he could do the 2 films.

And I think GDT has made it pretty clear he respects the original casting choices.

Seriously - had the team tried to cast another actor as Gandalf, the fans would've rebelled en masse. It was never gonna happen. I can't even imagine the uproar! This news was always safe as houses.

But it's still very nice to see it official. Cool Thanks for posting it!

(This post was edited by ShadoFaxs on Apr 25 2008, 4:32am)

ShadoFaxs
Rivendell

Apr 25 2008, 4:31am

Post #7 of 41 (2235 views)
Shortcut
I sure hope Lee comes back! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm really hoping this happens. I assume he is in reasonably good health - he's still working on films in Britain. If something should happen to him, he'd be missed. I better go over and check out the Lee forum...

(Scurries away to check...)

GreenHeart
Rivendell

Apr 25 2008, 4:33am

Post #8 of 41 (2182 views)
Shortcut
Yay, yay, and YAY! [In reply to] Can't Post

It just *had* to be so, but I'm happy to see it look official. Thank you!

Sunflower
Valinor

Apr 25 2008, 4:34am

Post #9 of 41 (2211 views)
Shortcut
Wow....that was fast.:) [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks like Sir Ian has gotten as little sleep as all of us since Sunday! Wink Either that or Del Toro broke the news to him first....:)

This just keeps getting better and better....

Hope we hear from a certain Mr. Serkis very soon. After that, the REAL fun begins!

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Apr 25 2008, 4:35am)

stormcrow20
Gondor

Apr 25 2008, 4:34am

Post #10 of 41 (2356 views)
Shortcut
Me too!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Let us know if you find anything interesting!

Mr.Lee said himself in an interview recently that he might be willing to return as Saruman, and that he is in good health, except for back pain he has had for years.

Sounds good!

~~~~~~
Círdan saw further and deeper than any other in Middle-earth, and he welcomed Mithrandir at the Grey Havens, knowing whence he came and whither he would return.
'Take this ring, master,' he said, 'for your labours will be heavy; but it will support you in the weariness you have taken upon yourself. For this is the Ring of Fire, and with it you may rekindle hearts in a world that grows chill.'

(This post was edited by stormcrow20 on Apr 25 2008, 4:36am)

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 25 2008, 4:36am

Post #11 of 41 (2144 views)
Shortcut
Hurrah! / [In reply to] Can't Post

My writing (including The Passing of Mistress Rose)

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 25 2008, 4:36am

Post #12 of 41 (2167 views)
Shortcut
I had no doubt. [In reply to] Can't Post

But it is very very pleasing to have it settled and certain.

Welcome back, Mithrandir! What a pleasure it will be to go there and back again with you!

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Apr 25 2008, 4:43am

Post #13 of 41 (2152 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf! [In reply to] Can't Post

What can I say but ,"Good Morning!" This is a great day. Thanks for posting!

Where's Frodo?

Gethsemane
The Shire

Apr 25 2008, 4:50am

Post #14 of 41 (2190 views)
Shortcut
they'll be singing in The Green Dragon [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It wouldn't have been The Hobbit without McKellan beneath the grey pointy hat. Now I wonder if Christopher Lee will be returning?

Geth, have you sent this through to spymaster@theonering.net? It's a good bit of spotting and I'm sure it would make it onto the front page as a news item!

Hello, yes i did try to send news along via your web form, ill pop it along via an email too. As for Andy Serkis i'm expecting confirmation on that very point, very soon. It's almost 6am here in the UK and its been along night. But oh what a night for fans Tolkien and Jacksons et al treatment of Tolkiens universe thus far. Ive not heard much on Christopher Lee outside of Lee's statement about his wishes, but is'nt Del toro a Hammer movie fan Wink

I'm glad this news has brought the same smile to those replying as it did to myself. Your all, most very welcome. Evil

(This post was edited by Gethsemane on Apr 25 2008, 4:54am)

ShadoFaxs
Rivendell

Apr 25 2008, 5:27am

Post #15 of 41 (2177 views)
Shortcut
Well shucks... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been loitering around Christopher Lee Web, his official site, off 'n on for the past 2 hours. Much movie news. No Hobbit announcements yet. I know Lee & PJ had their small differences but I can't imagine Lee wouldn't want to come back and I can't imagine GDT and PJ wouldn't want him back.

Serkis is another done deal I'm sure.

One presumes Viggo will want to return for the bridge movie and the Hobbitses are all eager to rejoin the party. Dunno about Cate and Hugo Weaving, but I want him back.

Wouldn't it be fun for a certain tall dark haired elf to have a cameo?? (Figwit lives!)

Yawwnnnnnnn...oops, it's bedtime here - whatta night!

snapcotton
The Shire

Apr 25 2008, 5:34am

Post #16 of 41 (2161 views)
Shortcut
How is it that this [In reply to] Can't Post

night keeps getting better?! Great news and I'm certain there is more to come! I am PSYCHED!!!
Thanks Gethsemane! And a huge YAY to Sir Ian!

Voorhas
Lorien

Apr 25 2008, 5:44am

Post #17 of 41 (2156 views)
Shortcut
Keen! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to admit, I fantasize about Sir Ian's reading of lines from the book: "I am Gandalf, and Gandalf means me!," 'What a lot of things you do use good morning for," or "Dawn take you all, and be stone to you!" Hopefully some of those words will survive intact in the screenplay.

Might be a little backwards, but the Gandalf of The Hobbit has always been the "real" Gandalf to me. Maybe 'cause I read it at such a younger age than I did LOTR.

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." -- E.A. Poe

ArathornJax
Lorien

Apr 25 2008, 6:21am

Post #18 of 41 (2140 views)
Shortcut
Andy Serkis and Tintin [In reply to] Can't Post

Isn't Andy suppose to start filming Tintin in September of this year? Will tha conflict at all with his role of Gollum? I haven't stayed up on Andy over the last year so I'm not sure.

" . . . (we are ) too engrossed in thinking of everything as a preparation or training or making one fit -- for what? At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that counts."

J.R.R. Tolkien in his 6 October 1940 letter to his son Michael Tolkien.

stormcrow20
Gondor

Apr 25 2008, 6:31am

Post #19 of 41 (2145 views)
Shortcut
Cate [In reply to] Can't Post

When asked about The Hobbit, Cate has said she would love to work with Peter and Hugo again. Wink

I'm eager to hear if Hugo is indeed interested as well....

~~~~~~

stormcrow20
Gondor

Apr 25 2008, 6:33am

Post #20 of 41 (2123 views)
Shortcut
I can already hear him saying those lines! / [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~

ArathornJax
Lorien

Apr 25 2008, 7:32am

Post #21 of 41 (2133 views)
Shortcut
Variety has a good article on this . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.variety.com/VR1117984595.html

In the article the review what we know but give some further information. First, del Torro won't be leaving anytime soon, he needs to finish up on Hellboy II. There is no start date for production and no script. Time frames are hinted at:

With Del Toro blocking out four years for the project, it’s likely that the studios are aiming at starting shooting next year and releasing the films in late 2011 and 2012.

So I answered my question on Andy, he'll be available. It will be fun as cast, script production dates etc are shared. More importantly, REMEMBER to start saving your hard earned dollars for those items that you'll want to purchase as merchandising comes out!

" . . . (we are ) too engrossed in thinking of everything as a preparation or training or making one fit -- for what? At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that counts."

J.R.R. Tolkien in his 6 October 1940 letter to his son Michael Tolkien.

onefan

Apr 25 2008, 8:01am

Post #22 of 41 (2076 views)
Shortcut
good [In reply to] Can't Post

great news, good work Gethsemane

Starling
Half-elven

Apr 25 2008, 8:10am

Post #23 of 41 (2108 views)
Shortcut
Oh, terrific geeky day! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, we all 'knew' this would happen, but it's so reassuring to really know for sure.

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Apr 25 2008, 8:57am

Post #24 of 41 (2177 views)
Shortcut
Viggo too was ready, and Liv [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope also is, and will be back as our lovely Arwen, to meet her young Aragorn in Rivendell like in the scene they did already with PJ...

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 25 2008, 10:57am

Post #25 of 41 (2107 views)
Shortcut
Ohhh... He'll do it! Don't doubt it for a second. [In reply to] Can't Post

That is the one person/character that MUST be there. He is the ONLY ONE who can play Gandalf. A trite statement, but true nonetheless.

I love his Gandalf the Grey. I miss his voice.

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.