Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
BOT5A TRAILER 2 OUT!!!
First page Previous page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next page Last page  View All

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Nov 6 2014, 8:35pm

Post #251 of 348 (9852 views)
Shortcut
     They did a pretty good job with that shot [In reply to]  

In Reply To
How anyone can call something like this acceptable let alone good is beyond me.

http://bitcast-a-sm.bitgravity.com/...es/hobbit-clones.png

They have literally used the same design for elves and stuck them directly in front of the camera. It's not hyperbole. It's disgraceful.

Considering the elves are CGI.

The Mitch King
Rohan

Nov 6 2014, 8:36pm

Post #252 of 348 (9885 views)
Shortcut
     You're not kidding… This is trash. [In reply to]  

In Reply To
How anyone can call something like this acceptable let alone good is beyond me.

http://bitcast-a-sm.bitgravity.com/...es/hobbit-clones.png

They have literally used the same design for elves and stuck them directly in front of the camera. It's not hyperbole. It's disgraceful.

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 6 2014, 8:36pm

Post #253 of 348 (9859 views)
Shortcut
     Strange.... [In reply to]  

They DO look like the same ones! Like they were immortals or something!

I met a Balrog on the stair.
He had some wings that weren't there.
They weren't there again today.
I wish he would just fly away.

namarie
Rohan

Nov 6 2014, 8:37pm

Post #254 of 348 (9844 views)
Shortcut
     Epic // [In reply to]  

"Don't try to be perfect, just try to be yourself"

Lindele
Gondor

Nov 6 2014, 8:37pm

Post #255 of 348 (9830 views)
Shortcut
     but to take [In reply to]  

one frame (shot) and write the films off as disgraceful when there are thousands of other beautifully hand crafted shots is a little unfair. They could have literally just not had time to finish it properly.

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 6 2014, 8:39pm

Post #256 of 348 (9871 views)
Shortcut
     About the trailer CGI [In reply to]  

Can someone allay my fears that what we saw is unfinished CGI that they will work on some more?

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

iduna
Rivendell

Nov 6 2014, 8:39pm

Post #257 of 348 (9826 views)
Shortcut
     Good point. Huge army hardly "stealthy" [In reply to]  

I suppose the issue will be explained in the movies -- where exactly the caves are, how the orcs found out about them, and how come Thorin et al. didn't know there were other entrances into Erebor so large you could drive an army through them.

Lindele
Gondor

Nov 6 2014, 8:40pm

Post #258 of 348 (9838 views)
Shortcut
     Utter garbage [In reply to]  

how could they? are they really so heartless and cruel?

The people behind these films have no regard for our feelings. No regard whatsoever.

They have the NERVE to take ONE shot and make it look terrible!!?
That's it. I'm done.

Not even going to see it.

The Mitch King
Rohan

Post #259 of 348 (9807 views)
Shortcut
     cgi [In reply to]  

I think its the contrast with Bard and Thranduil I don't like.

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Post #260 of 348 (9804 views)
Shortcut
     I don't think it'll change in the final film [In reply to]  

In Reply To
one frame (shot) and write the films off as disgraceful when there are thousands of other beautifully hand crafted shots is a little unfair. They could have literally just not had time to finish it properly.

But it's not that big of a problem. At least they match the elves in the AUJ prologue that were also very similar looking and CGI!

What I like in this trailer are the excellent character moments, are there are many stunning shots (particularly Laketown and Erebor looking out onto it).

Olorin2607
Lorien

Post #261 of 348 (9807 views)
Shortcut
     In his defense [In reply to]  

I must say that it really comes off a bit dodgy and we all know the Elves in AUJ did not look any better.. and there they had time.

But still it totally DOES NOT ruin the movie.

DOS EE has some dodgy CGI as well and still its a wonderful movie.

Lindele
Gondor

Nov 6 2014, 8:41pm

Post #262 of 348 (9821 views)
Shortcut
     Judging by [In reply to]  

EVERY OTHER HOBBIT TRAILER WE'VE SEEN

Yes, this trailer was probably put together before all of the shots in the film are finished.

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Nov 6 2014, 8:42pm

Post #263 of 348 (9794 views)
Shortcut
     No [In reply to]  

In Reply To
Can someone allay my fears that what we saw is unfinished CGI that they will work on some more?

Chances are little will change, mainly grading. But unlike last year the film is pretty much finished. If you don't like the look of it, you're going to have to try to come to terms with it or just don't watch it. The CGI looks very polished, it's just they seem to love that sort of glossy hyper real look rather than gritty and hazy and realistic (like Jim Rygiel, visual effects supervisor for LOTR, always pushed for).

Lindele
Gondor

Nov 6 2014, 8:43pm

Post #264 of 348 (9777 views)
Shortcut
     A lot of the CGI/Rendering in DOS [In reply to]  

WAS HORRENDOUS

but you are absolutely right. The film (EE) was great, and well worth looking past a couple of bad shots. BECAUSE THERE ARE SO MANY GOOD ONES.

I even decided to look past the atrocious (note my use of the word) GoPro shots in the barrel sequence.

(This post was edited by Lindele on Nov 6 2014, 8:44pm)

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Nov 6 2014, 8:43pm

Post #265 of 348 (9796 views)
Shortcut
     Brilliant trailer - [In reply to]  

Pretty much what I was hoping for at this stage, even when AUJ first came out.

I've no idea how the movie is going turn out but I'm looking forward to it more than ever, now.

No sign of Dain, but I hope he gets his 'hero moment'.

As for the CGI Elves being the same, I don't know. I expect Elves to have certain 'unhuman' traits, anyway.

From the makers of 'The Lord of the Rings' comes the sequel to Peter Jackson's Hobbit Trilogy -
'The War in the North, Part I : The Sword in the Tomb'.

The Mitch King
Rohan

Nov 6 2014, 8:47pm

Post #266 of 348 (9732 views)
Shortcut
     Tunnels [In reply to]  

In Reply To
I suppose the issue will be explained in the movies -- where exactly the caves are, how the orcs found out about them, and how come Thorin et al. didn't know there were other entrances into Erebor so large you could drive an army through them.

Definitely dug by orcs. I assume they lead from Gundabad to outside of Erebor.

Olorin2607
Lorien

Nov 6 2014, 8:51pm

Post #267 of 348 (9732 views)
Shortcut
     Of course you can. [In reply to]  

But that still gives me the right to tell you mine..namely that spreading negativity before even saying anything regarding the OVERALL feel of the trailer is also.. well... atrocious.

Gandy
Bree

Nov 6 2014, 8:53pm

Post #268 of 348 (9696 views)
Shortcut
     . [In reply to]  

In Reply To

In Reply To
Well now we know how Tauriel dies, thanks spoilerific trailer! Sweet trailer though, cant wait!

Am I the only one who thinks it looked like Thranduil cuts her throat with his sword? LOL Watch closely again.

Tauriel has an arrow in his face, fully drawn string, and he just breaks the arrow into pieces with his sword. Frame grabs show the broken pieces clearly.

Frame by frame over-analysis also shows 3 unique elves that are duplicated via CG countless times. Wink Very odd. Three is a tiny number. At least do 20. They can swap faces on barely animated faces easily. Three is a weird decision. There are live elves and CG. The 3 live elves got in costume in front of a green screen, and then footage was duplicated to form a line. Rinse, repeat.
That's a very acceptable technique and makes the most sense, but using 3 actors is weird. Just a few more would make it not look like the Elven attack of the clones.

Dol Goldur has so much potential for breathtaking imagery. The intimate setting, the big bosses of ME all in one place, the stakes... Wow. I am looking forward to Dol Goldur more than the Battle5. I dearly hope it isn't cut too short or mostly wastes time with Orcs flipflopping everywhere Wilhelm scream stuff. The Nine and Sauron shouldn't be a brief climax after boring Orc growling.
Most importantly - Saruman absolutely should allowed to show his 100% uncorrupted self. Audiences don't know that side of him.

"Leave Sauron to ME!" This line should be spoken by a Saruman pure of heart and he should battle Sauron so grandly and beautifully that the tragic future we already know he will have, will add a deep level of bittersweet to the end of the battle. The Palantir is there, so natuarlly we know he will take it. But this should be after his final act of pure goodwill. Just a quick hint at the future. He isn't taking it because he made a deal with Sauron during their fight.

Apparently even Galadriel is getting beat up. Saruman maybe arrives later? Thus the following:
Saruman should brandish the 3 good rings of power on his own Infinity Gauntlet. Cool

My guess from the quick trailer cuts, Galadriel finding Gandalf on the ground - this is at the beginning before the big fight commences. Gandalf has just been freed from his cage and is very weak, beaten. Galadriel rushes to him. After this, the real action starts. Help arrives. Gandalf gets eagled away to Battle5 before the main Dol Goldur fight.
That's why he isn't on the ground in the following scene. He might fight some though because "The Power of the Three". His ring is involved.

Rambling finished.

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 6 2014, 8:56pm

Post #269 of 348 (9702 views)
Shortcut
     The fiends!! [In reply to]  

Jackson & Co. are probably reading this thread as we speak and cackling maniacally as they satisfy themselves drinking our sad sad tears of disillusionment and despair!

They're doing everything they can to deliberately make a terrible film we won't want to see! Because... er... well.. ah....

How about:

1. Make horrible film.
2. Something.
3. Something.
4. Profit.

Yeah, that!

I met a Balrog on the stair.
He had some wings that weren't there.
They weren't there again today.
I wish he would just fly away.

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Nov 6 2014, 8:57pm

Post #270 of 348 (9690 views)
Shortcut
     This feels more like a complete CGI - thread... [In reply to]  

Cant there be created a separate one for this issue?! Crazy

Lindele
Gondor

Nov 6 2014, 8:59pm

Post #271 of 348 (9695 views)
Shortcut
     PJ's plan [In reply to]  

from the very beginning...back in the mid 90's when they started writing LOTR, was to make 5 amazing and beautiful Middle-earth films JUST so that our hopes would be at their highest in anticipation for the sixth film in which he would DEVASTATE us with something horrendous. It's all just a big scheme.

It's a remnant of his splatter film days...he loves to shock people.

Smaug's Fire
The Shire

Nov 6 2014, 9:02pm

Post #272 of 348 (9642 views)
Shortcut
     Thank you! [In reply to]  

In Reply To
Something worthwhile to discuss. Here's what I think:

1.) In the book the Elvenking wants a share of the hoard, both because he believes that some of his own wealth is in the mountain, and because he wants to help out the homeless Lakemen. In the filmverse, we were shown his desire for the Nauglamir-esque gems from the AUJ EE prologue, which is presumably what he's after here.

2.) Gandalf is referring to Sauron's master plan. The orcs appear to be entering tunnels that will allow them to approach the Mountain unseen while the Free Peoples quarrel.

3.) In the book, bats block out the sun during the battle and allow the goblins to march and fight during the day. Here they appear to be closer to the Thuringwethil-style vampire-bat creatures of the Silmarillion than to those we saw in AUJ streaming out of Dol Guldur. Mount Gundabad was the primary orc-hold in the North of the Misty Mountains. It's where the hunters under Azog and Bolg come from in the film-verse. It looks like it operated as Sauron's secondary base under Azog's command. Legolas and Tauriel probably track Bolg there following the destruction of Laketown. The forces of Azog marching from Dol Guldur and the forces of Bolg marching from Mt. Gundabad will likely meet up and flank the unsuspecting Free Folk at some point.

4.) Not really sure about where this frozen waterfall is meant to be. Presumably somewhere in the environs of Dale or Ravenhill. Unless it's near Mt. Gundabad?

Ah thank you! I was thinking something along these lines but I wasn't sure!

Lindele
Gondor

Nov 6 2014, 9:03pm

Post #273 of 348 (9646 views)
Shortcut
     I feel ya [In reply to]  

aifeme
Rivendell

Nov 6 2014, 9:04pm

Post #274 of 348 (9659 views)
Shortcut
     Oh man...Just freaking.chill.out. [In reply to]  

I loved the trailer, but also mentioned the faces of the Elven army. Because I could.
In Your eyes people like me hate this trailer and previous Hobbit movies. And all that other things You wrote...You're just putting words into peoples' mouths. It's offensive.. Just stop.
And stop using caps lock so much, otherwise no one will take You seriously.

TORn lurker since 2002:]

(This post was edited by aifeme on Nov 6 2014, 9:08pm)

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Nov 6 2014, 9:06pm

Post #275 of 348 (9625 views)
Shortcut
     This! [In reply to]  

In Reply To
And stop using caps lock so much, otherwise no on will take You seriously.

First page Previous page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.