The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Shore speaks re: The Hobbit

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 24 2008, 9:49pm

Post #1 of 13 (2463 views)
Shortcut
Shore speaks re: The Hobbit Can't Post

A number of people from my soundtrack community were able to attend the Lucerne, Switzerland concert of the FOTR score music performed live to the movie.

It was arranged for Howard Shore and Doug Adams to speak before the concert but sadly, Doug came down with laryngitis and then bronchitis and instead of boarding a plane, he found himself in the emergency room. He's home now and feeling well enough to post on his blog.

Those of us who couldn't attend (including Doug) have been waiting for the reports to trickle in and they've just started. If you want to read more, there's a few places you could check (I'll provide some links at the bottom of the post)

But my real reason for starting a thread is to pass on this report from Sabsi:

Maestro Shore was asked about the Hobbit and he said 'Yes, I'm very happy to say we are working on The Hobbit [I take that as an official statement that he's definitely involved], I've been thinking about it for many years. They're starting on the sreenplay and the production will start soon.'

look for more reports at:
moviemusic.com
Doug's blog. He has a thread for each entry and I'm not sure things where things will appear. Check the main page for something he might add or look in THIS THREAD or just wander around the site checking comments to blog entries.

Sunflower
Valinor

Feb 24 2008, 10:01pm

Post #2 of 13 (1257 views)
Shortcut
How on God's earth can this be happening with the lawsuit going on?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Elven
Valinor

Feb 24 2008, 10:02pm

Post #3 of 13 (1143 views)
Shortcut
Big Smiley News ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice to hear of Howard's confirmation and involvement with the Hobbit, and that there is still some movement in the camp even thought there are some clouds about. Though I feel he might have a bit more time still, to put this together Wink
I remember him saying he had been thinking about the Hobbit years back, so Im thinking, he has used this gap of time, and it would be a great outcome for him and the music. I'm so glad he's still involved and doing so much with this creation of LOTR! Good for him!
Thankyou Magpie for the news!
Something to start my Monday off with a big grin!

Cheers
Elven x

Amy Winehouse acquires Shire retreat for Summer ...

Amy Winehouse sells Shire retreat in Autumn ...

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
The Hobbit!!
Its a Happening Thing!!

Russell Crowe for Beorn

Sauruman: "Do know how the fan girls/boys first came into being? ... they were Tolkien scholars once ... Taken by the Dark Director, tempted to hold moots & dress up like Hobbits, Elves, Dwarves and Wizards ... A ruined & terrible form of life, not to mentions bad grades ... and now perfected at TORN ...
Whom do you serve!"

Elven
Valinor

Feb 24 2008, 10:10pm

Post #4 of 13 (1182 views)
Shortcut
With no formal decision [In reply to] Can't Post

being made with the lawsuit as yet, I suppose things maybe in suspension to some degree, but contractually, things are still in progress.
Possibly - until the lawsuit is in action, people are still obligated to fulfill their responsibilities towards the Hobbit as per usual, though Ive no doubt they are aware of whats going on moreso than we are Wink.
Of all people, Doug and Howard seem to be the ones capable of hinting and commenting at the moment, they were the second batch, behind Del Toro to mention anything in the way of rumour, but as yet still noting is being said from the representatives at the top.

It is a bit unnerving that there is little information yet, but I suppose to hear Howard is on boad is one consolation that there's still some confidence in the Hobbit at least seemingly having the right people attached to it.

Cheers
Elven x

Amy Winehouse acquires Shire retreat for Summer ...

Amy Winehouse sells Shire retreat in Autumn ...

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
The Hobbit!!
Its a Happening Thing!!

Russell Crowe for Beorn

Sauruman: "Do know how the fan girls/boys first came into being? ... they were Tolkien scholars once ... Taken by the Dark Director, tempted to hold moots & dress up like Hobbits, Elves, Dwarves and Wizards ... A ruined & terrible form of life, not to mentions bad grades ... and now perfected at TORN ...
Whom do you serve!"

_V_
Lorien

Feb 24 2008, 10:12pm

Post #5 of 13 (1165 views)
Shortcut
privately [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Shore privately works on leitmotifs for stuff from The Hobbit to keep in store for when he's scoring the actual film, so he can hit the ground running.

"Pleased to meet you, hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game"

Formerly known on TORN as "Draug the Unspeakably Violent"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 25 2008, 12:18am

Post #6 of 13 (1166 views)
Shortcut
*mouth drops open, tears form* Oh Thank Goodness... [In reply to] Can't Post

This is as heart-stopping to me as when Peter said he was doing the project. This is incredible, beautiful news. Oh, Magpie.... thank you so much.

*still sinking in* We're so lucky.

OMG!!! HERE WE GO!!! :D

I've been thinking all weekend about what the Dwarves' music will sound like (variations of Dwarrowdelf); Mirkwood Elves; Bard and Lake-town... reprisals of Rivendell, the Shire... oh cripes; this is gonna be GREAT!!

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 25 2008, 12:55am

Post #7 of 13 (1147 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I've been thinking all weekend about what the Dwarves' music will sound like (variations of Dwarrowdelf); Mirkwood Elves; Bard and Lake-town... reprisals of Rivendell, the Shire... oh cripes; this is gonna be GREAT!!

I'm not entirely sure that Shore will use the same themes. First, I wonder if he doesn't feel that he's explored those themes sufficiently and would like to move on. Second, there were issues with TTT soundtrack being eligible for Oscar nomination because it 'reused' themes. That apparently got worked out, the rules were changed, and ROTK was eligible... but I don't know if The Hobbit will fall under the rule changes. Third, if he's not working directly with PJ, then it will be a new working relationship with whomever he's working with.

I wouldn't be surprised if he comes at it all fresh. I wouldn't be surprised if he does incorporate themes heard in LOTR.

A 'third' option comes from remembering that he has overarching ideas and concepts for cultures and places. (I'm not the best to expand on this...) Modes and instruments and keys and collection of notes: they are the underpinnings of the different sorts of music he wrote for LOTR. So even if he doesn't reprise the Shire Theme, he could easily draw on those underpinnings of the Shire music for something that is new, but sounds homey and familiar.

I think there will be as much speculation in the soundtrack community as to how he approaches it as there is for other aspects of the film.

overlithe64
Rivendell

Feb 25 2008, 1:06am

Post #8 of 13 (1132 views)
Shortcut
well I should say.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Amen...Howard's involvement is as crucial as Peter's. Middle Earth simply would not be the same without his magical sound-scapes.
I love the sound tracks as much as the films and I hear them more often than I get to watch. Howard is amazing when I saw the symphony in Seattle I cried it is all so moving....I could see the film playing in my head as the music filled the hall.

Sigh....

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Feb 25 2008, 2:50am

Post #9 of 13 (1121 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to echo gramma here. It is simply beautiful. It is certainly contradicting with so much info (and yet so vague) flying around.

It will be interesting to have any kind of official word soon, because, I, here today have to declare that I have absolutely NO clue what the stance on this movie is.

Hoping for the best... but one never knows.

Here's to Del Toro becoming the Irvin Kershner of Middle Earth!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

Nimloth
Lorien

Feb 25 2008, 4:49am

Post #10 of 13 (1100 views)
Shortcut
How exciting! [In reply to] Can't Post

Gramma your excitement is contagious! News is slow but it's a start and the journey is half the fun. Wink

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 25 2008, 10:04am

Post #11 of 13 (1077 views)
Shortcut
*twitter* [In reply to] Can't Post

I think there will be as much speculation in the soundtrack community as to how he approaches it as there is for other aspects of the film.

THAT... right there... has got me all a-twitter with excitement! We're SO familiar with Shore's styles for each kindred and event (knowing Moria music is only used in Moria, etc.) that the discussions and dreams of what's coming is so thrilling!!! I'm looking at you, kid, to make this all the more exciting!! *high five*

sample sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 25 2008, 10:10am

Post #12 of 13 (1085 views)
Shortcut
Happy Ending [In reply to] Can't Post

That's all I'll allow... a happy ending to this whole drama! ;) Fate would never be so cruel.

sample sample

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 25 2008, 11:30am

Post #13 of 13 (1081 views)
Shortcut
*big smile* [In reply to] Can't Post

From when his scoring for RotK ended, he's been looking forward to doing The Hobbit, according to his notes on the RotK CD liner...I bet he's been prepping for this, all that time...

Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.