Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Hubble peers into the Great Eye of Sauron

calisuri
PTB

Feb 22 2008, 11:28pm

Post #1 of 7 (1086 views)
Shortcut
Hubble peers into the Great Eye of Sauron Can't Post

Hubble Eye of SauronWhile this story is a few years old, it is pretty cool - so for those whom have not seen it before - this is 'new to you!'

A spectacular, luminous ring offers the best evidence yet that a nearby star is circled by a newly formed solar system.

The ring is composed of dust particles in orbit around Fomalhaut, a bright star located just 25 light years away in the constellation Pisces Australis – or the Southern Fish. A recent image captured with the Hubble Space Telescope - which makes the system look uncannily like the Great Eye of Sauron from the blockbusting Lord of the Rings trilogy - confirms that Fomalhaut’s ring is curiously offset with respect to the star.

Read the full story and see a larger image over at The Register. Thanks to Smeagirl for the heads up! [Read More]

The Mysterious Calisuri

(This post was edited by calisuri on Feb 22 2008, 11:32pm)

littlegandlf
The Shire

Feb 23 2008, 2:10am

Post #2 of 7 (456 views)
Shortcut
can't believe [In reply to] Can't Post

I must say it is a bit scary ... I mean just I can't believe ... It is!!!Sauron's Eye!!!...Impossible...Can't believe it...
Hope the starlight of Earendil will shield us from unfriendly eye : )

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Feb 23 2008, 5:26pm

Post #3 of 7 (438 views)
Shortcut
So perhaps there is life in the void, after all?// [In reply to] Can't Post

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

stridersGIRL
Bree

Feb 23 2008, 6:50pm

Post #4 of 7 (442 views)
Shortcut
ahh! [In reply to] Can't Post

I must say this story gave me the shivers, plus a healthy feeling of being watched. Also, I don't think I'll ever put on my imitation One Ring again :)

Et Eärello Endorenna utùlien
sinomë maruvan ar hindinydar
tenn' ambar metta...

silneldor
Half-elven

Feb 24 2008, 4:52am

Post #5 of 7 (406 views)
Shortcut
That is so striking! [In reply to] Can't Post

Could be an illusion. Gandalf may be lurking yonder.

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo
By El~Cugu

From the website: 'The Realm of Manwe'

Urambo Tauro
Rivendell

Feb 24 2008, 9:02pm

Post #6 of 7 (398 views)
Shortcut
Re: Like a Watchful Eye... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've seen this, but forgot about it. Thanks for re-surfacing it!

...autumn was waning fast; slowly the golden light faded to pale silver, and the lingering leaves fell from the naked trees. A wind began to blow chill from the Misty Mountains to the east. The Hunter's Moon waxed round in the night sky, and put to flight all the lesser stars. But low in the South one star shone red. Every night, as the Moon waned again, it shone brighter and brighter. Frodo could see it from his window, deep in the heavens, burning like a watchful eye that glared above the trees on the brink of the valley.

-TLotR - The Ring Goes South

Be sure to check out the
> The "Red Star" in the South
thread!

overlithe64
Rivendell

Feb 25 2008, 1:01am

Post #7 of 7 (392 views)
Shortcut
of course [In reply to] Can't Post

you didn't really think he was ultimately defeated....looks like a sequel to me.....lol

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.