Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
One of the spawn of Ungoliant was on my front porch!!!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jun 6 2014, 4:25pm

Post #1 of 67 (616 views)
Shortcut
One of the spawn of Ungoliant was on my front porch!!! Can't Post

So, yesterday evening my mom had gotten home from the store and I went out to help her bring in the groceries, and what do I find laying there on the front porch? This HUGE, brown, dead wolf spider! I am not kidding about it being huge. That things body was about 1 3/4 inches long, not quite as thick as my thumb, and it's sort of stripy, skinny legs had to be at least as long as my pinky finger! On top of that, laying right next to it was a giant, dead centipede, the body of which was fairly short, but of similar thickness to the spider, and of course, there were a whole lot of big, centipede legs.

It was the weirdest thing because they were both just laying there next to each other, totally limp like they had just suddenly dropped dead. They weren't even squished like if someone had stepped on them or mangled like if a bird had caught them and dropped them there or anything. To say the least, I grabbed a stick and poked at them both to make sure they were really dead and thankfully, they were. Of course, by this time my mom was wondering what on earth I was looking at and why I kept dancing around and squealing, "EEEEEWWWWW!!" When I told her what I'd found, I don't think she believed me at first because the look on her face said, "Really?" Then she went up to the porch and looked for herself and yelled, "Oh my goodness, those things are HUGE!!" Then she started dancing around and squealing "EEEEEWWWWW!!" right along with me.Crazy

The only thing we can figure is that, since wolf spiders and centipedes are both poisonous and the larger ones occasionally get in fights, they must have been fighting up there on the porch, bitten each other, and then died where they stood. My mom took an old magazine and pushed their bodies off the porch so we wouldn't have to look at them any more. I'm surprised I didn't have nightmares. Gross, icky and double EEEEEWWW!!!Crazy

"When life won't play along
And right keeps going wrong
And I can't seem to find my way
I know where I am found
So I won't let it drag me down
Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway"
~Move by MercyMe

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jun 6 2014, 4:34pm

Post #2 of 67 (306 views)
Shortcut
EEEEWWWW! [In reply to] Can't Post

I bet you're right, they killed each other, but yikes! I'd have nightmares, too!

Once, many years ago, one of the male members of my family killed a huge wolf spider and then left it on the shelf in the garage, right above the garbage pail. When I bent over the pail to drop in the bag of garbage, I came eyeball to eyeball (to eyeballs) with it. I'm still surprised the neighbors didn't come running to see why there were bloodcurdling shrieks emanating from our garage!

To this day my husband and neither of my sons will admit to leaving the spider there, let alone admit to leaving it there on purpose to freak me out. But shudder. Just shudder. There's a reason I have a very negative thing going with spiders.

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Annael
Half-elven

Jun 6 2014, 4:42pm

Post #3 of 67 (291 views)
Shortcut
those things can be HUGE [In reply to] Can't Post

there was one in my bathroom once; my wasband captured it in a quart mason jar and its legs spanned the entire bottom of the jar. More than 3 inches across. We were reading David Brin's Uplift War series at the time and these spiders instantly became "Tandu raiders!" to us.

Another time I was sitting minding my own business and I heard one run across a newspaper that was on the floor. When did you ever hear a spider? It was big enough to rustle the paper.

They have a nasty bite, as well. One bit me once & I got sick for two days, then had a numb spot the size of a quarter at the bite site for 6 months. A friend's son got bitten and the wound necrotized; took forever to heal.

To be sane we must recognize our beliefs as fictions.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Jun 6 2014, 4:47pm

Post #4 of 67 (285 views)
Shortcut
They were 2 of the minatures for King Kong, and [In reply to] Can't Post

not only didn't realize the filming was over, but took it far too seriously!

(I kinda think you're right about what happened. Not sure I want to see it . . . but do you have any pics?ShockedCrazyEvil)

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jun 6 2014, 5:08pm

Post #5 of 67 (281 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I do have one [In reply to] Can't Post

But it's on my mom's phone (her phone takes much better pics than mine), so I'll have to wait until she gets home from work this evening to post them. I actually meant to get them off last night, but got sidetracked and forgot. If you check back here around 8pm EST, I should have them posted by then, so you can officially be grossed out.Evil

I know where I am found
~Move by MercyMe

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jun 6 2014, 5:22pm

Post #6 of 67 (276 views)
Shortcut
Yes, yes I have. Ew! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, one time a couple years ago, one of the big wolf spiders got in the house without anyone knowing. We discovered it's presence after we saw and heard this large, brown object run across the linoleum floor in the kitchen and go under the door to the pantry. It was so big and so noisy we thought it was a mouse at first, but when I opened the door, there sat this big ol' spider! Thankfully, I had shoes on, because it tried to run again and I stomped on it repeatedly while saying "Die! Die! Die!" It died and I had to clean its guts off the floor and my shoe.Crazy

*turns into Gollum* Nassty, tricksy, spiders! We hates them forever!Pirate

I'm so glad I've never been bitten by one, though! That sounds awful!Shocked

I know where I am found
~Move by MercyMe

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jun 6 2014, 5:31pm

Post #7 of 67 (279 views)
Shortcut
Eeek!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Finding that spider at my feet on the porch was bad enough, but coming face to face with one? *shudders head to toe* We're both probably going to need therapy for emotional and mental scarring at some point.CrazyTongue

I know where I am found
~Move by MercyMe

Glassary
Rivendell

Jun 6 2014, 5:47pm

Post #8 of 67 (293 views)
Shortcut
Guess you haven't seen the Australian huntsman spider? [In reply to] Can't Post

Apparently not harmful but creepy big. Here is a funny video of a man trying to catch one in his house. If you are afraid of spiders warning!
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bRV4d9LCawU

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jun 6 2014, 5:57pm

Post #9 of 67 (270 views)
Shortcut
Arg! [In reply to] Can't Post

Remind me never to move to Australia!Shocked

I know where I am found
~Move by MercyMe

Annael
Half-elven

Jun 6 2014, 6:11pm

Post #10 of 67 (279 views)
Shortcut
my niece lived in Morocco [In reply to] Can't Post

where they had camel spiders. She had one living under her bed. It came out at night to hunt mice.

It scares me too much to even think of looking for a picture for ya'll, so you can look them up yourself.

Darkstone
Immortal

Jun 6 2014, 6:22pm

Post #11 of 67 (280 views)
Shortcut
That's the problem. [In reply to] Can't Post

You got mice so you bring in camel spiders to get rid of them. So after the mice are taken care of what do you bring in to get rid of the camel spiders? I think I'd stick with the mice.

BTW, they do tend to chase people (top speed 10 mph.) but they're only after your shade. You stop, they stop.

And most of the internet photos are forced perspective.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Annael
Half-elven

Jun 6 2014, 6:34pm

Post #12 of 67 (277 views)
Shortcut
she said it was the size of a dinner plate. [In reply to] Can't Post

*shudders*

Just after your shade, eh? I watched a documentary of a Brit traveling through Australia. He was told to bring a towel everywhere (Hitchhiker's Guide anyone?) and if he saw a dangerous snake -- well, in Oz, any snake -- to throw it over the snake, because the snake would be happy to be under cover and not attack.

He also gave my friends & me one of my favorite quotes. When taken to see some 10-foot-high termite hills, he said "to be honest, I go blank before the mystery of the ant."

(This post was edited by Annael on Jun 6 2014, 6:35pm)

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jun 6 2014, 6:36pm

Post #13 of 67 (260 views)
Shortcut
They eat mice and chase people?! *eye-twitch*// [In reply to] Can't Post

I know where I am found
~Move by MercyMe

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jun 6 2014, 7:21pm

Post #14 of 67 (256 views)
Shortcut
Just imagine... [In reply to] Can't Post

Imagine going back in time a few hundred million years, when the oxygen levels in our atmosphere were higher. More oxygen meant that insects, spiders and scorpions could be much larger, some 10 or 15 feet in length!

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Kim
Valinor

Jun 6 2014, 7:31pm

Post #15 of 67 (255 views)
Shortcut
Adding note to my calendar: [In reply to] Can't Post

"Whatever you do, do not click on Eruvandi's post at 8pm EST". No spiders for me, thank you very much. NoNoNoNoNoNoNo....

"Jagatud rõõm on topelt rõõm - a shared joy is a double joy". ~Estonian saying

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_collapsed

Avandel
Valinor

Jun 6 2014, 8:40pm

Post #16 of 67 (256 views)
Shortcut
I like spiders [In reply to] Can't Post

Really I do - being a nature lover and all, plus they are fascinating - love that you can use spiders webs to clot wounds, tho if you are that injured don't know I spend time running around looking for spider webs. We have these golden orb weavers that spin the most beautiful webs, and I think wolf spiders are cool, and jumping spiders are cute being all fuzzy and the way they move, like little fiddler crabs.

Of course I haven't been bitten by anything really poisonous - yet. At any rate I was quite enjoying the Mirkwood spiders and the attention to detail.

But in the gross department, nature lover or not, I could do without the 3-inch or larger slugs we get - eeeeeuw. I've been told on the west coast - Oregon? they get positively massive - 6 inches? Like Harry Potter or something. My cat was nosing something last night on the sidewalk, and it was a slug - euuuuw, I had to save my fluffy kitty from the grossness (and no, I don't let my kitty run loose, but we were taking out the garbage together).

On the other hand the cats eat the house spiders - nothing with multiple legs that moves is safe from them. I figure it's entertainment and extra protein for them - but then again, I don't live where it would be usual to get dangerous spiders.

Eruvandi, trade you the wolf spiders for my slugsEvil

Darkstone
Immortal

Jun 6 2014, 8:43pm

Post #17 of 67 (247 views)
Shortcut
Much preferable than the other way round. / [In reply to] Can't Post

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Jun 6 2014, 8:44pm)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jun 6 2014, 9:37pm

Post #18 of 67 (249 views)
Shortcut
Ugh [In reply to] Can't Post

We hatess them we hatess them. I just killed no less than 11 Black Widows (Latrodecus Hespera to be exact) here outside the house. Way too dangerous. I can't stand them. Two of them were just huge too (as far as Widows go).

I have a cousin that was bit by one. He was deathly ill for 3 or 4 days. They don't usually kill ya but man they can make you wish you were dead.

Anyway, I see spiders (except for garden spiders. I leave those) they are gone.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Starling
Half-elven

Jun 6 2014, 9:53pm

Post #19 of 67 (256 views)
Shortcut
So do I [In reply to] Can't Post

I will be in the spider fan club with you. It sounds like they need a few friends.

Speaking of slugs, many years ago I lived in an area that had a large population of Tiger slugs, which were huge and really rather creepy. My neighbours had plastic lining under their whole house to try and stop them coming up. I lived in an ancient cottage with ample places for slugs to come up into the house at night. In the morning sometimes we would get up and there would be massive slime trails across the carpet.

My worst slug moment came one Saturday morning when I was getting my breakfast. I got out the toaster and put it on the bench, dropped the bread in and pushed down the tab to toast my bread. About 10 seconds later there was a small explosion, which included massive sparks and a puff of smoke. The toaster shorted out and there was a hideous smell.

A massive slug was on the element and had fried.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jun 6 2014, 11:30pm

Post #20 of 67 (233 views)
Shortcut
It's a deal! [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't mind slugs at all as long I don't have to touch them. Then again, my mom hates slugs because they eat her plants, so that trade might backfire, but I say slugs are the reason salt was invented.Evil

Orb spiders aren't so bad either and we get the golden ones around here too. I always tell them that we can co-exist peacefully as long as they don't build their webs in front of the door or anywhere that I walk on a regular basis, but if I end up walking my face through an invisible web while I take the dog out, then we gonna have issues!Mad I took this non-creepy pic of this one golden orb spider this past fall because it was actually really pretty...for a spider.

Yeah, my cat doesn't eat spiders because that would require moving. He's soooo lazy and I like to teasingly call him my big, fat, tub of lard!Tongue (Actually, although he's big, the vet says he's not really overweight, but I like to tease him anyway.) He's still lazy though. A bug of some kind will get in the house and I'll say, "Erin, go get the bug! Go get it!" He just sits there and looks at me like this:
*sigh*Wink

I know where I am found
~Move by MercyMe

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jun 6 2014, 11:56pm

Post #21 of 67 (240 views)
Shortcut
Oh dear! [In reply to] Can't Post

My worst slug moment came one Saturday morning when I was getting my breakfast. I got out the toaster and put it on the bench, dropped the bread in and pushed down the tab to toast my bread. About 10 seconds later there was a small explosion, which included massive sparks and a puff of smoke. The toaster shorted out and there was a hideous smell.

A massive slug was on the element and had fried.

That's even worse than the time a couple of summers ago when then the air conditioning in my house suddenly went out and when the repair guy checked it out, he found a dead earwig that had gotten into the outside part of the unit and shorted the whole thing out by frying itself!

Hmm, I wonder if there are any cultures somewhere in the world that would eat fried slugs?...On second thought, I don't want to think about that!Crazy

I know where I am found
~Move by MercyMe

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jun 7 2014, 2:08am

Post #22 of 67 (249 views)
Shortcut
Ok, prepare to be grossed out! (spider pic) [In reply to] Can't Post

Here it is. The picture doesn't do justice to the size at all, but at least you can see the spider and centipede. Now that I look at it again, I think that might be a huntsman spider instead of a wolf spider. We do get them in Virginia although I hardly ever see the really big ones like this running around. Even though they're not poisonous, I guess it ambushed the centipede, and did enough damage to kill it but the centipede managed to bite the spider before it died, thus killing the spider. Still EEEEWWWW!

I know where I am found
~Move by MercyMe

Starling
Half-elven

Jun 7 2014, 2:36am

Post #23 of 67 (231 views)
Shortcut
I actually felt sick writing that post [In reply to] Can't Post

I pride myself on loving all creatures, but those slugs really were the limit. They were so mega-slimy. And they were huge. One of the less loveable imports to NZ. Luckily they are not common in the area I now live in.

Avandel
Valinor

Jun 7 2014, 2:39am

Post #24 of 67 (239 views)
Shortcut
Wow that IS a big spider! [In reply to] Can't Post

I used to live way down south and see wolf spiders that big - but wow, that's a big one. And what IS that hairy thing?

BTW your kitty is beautiful - what a lovely face and eyes - looks like a "snuggle kitty". My little princess tho seem to be thinking about eating the slug - like escargot. Thanks for taking the time to post pics!

No, no, no.Unsure

Avandel
Valinor

Jun 7 2014, 2:45am

Post #25 of 67 (232 views)
Shortcut
I'm getting nauseous [In reply to] Can't Post

All God's creatures and all that, and the food chain, but some critters are sadly lacking in the any-charm-whatsoever department. As well as eating the garden plants.

PS. Wonder if I will ever be able o toast bread again without looking first. It's kind of like nowadays in the U.S. at least the first thing you have to do, even in upscale hotels, is check for bedbugs.

PS2. Wonder if Richard Armitage - or even Lee Pace - will ever use those wonderful voices in a travel commercial "600 thread count sheets, spectacular views, finest cuisine, and no bedbugs LOL"Evil

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.