Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies, tv shows, or other visual media did you watch last weekend?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 24 2014, 1:30pm

Post #1 of 107 (793 views)
Shortcut
What movies, tv shows, or other visual media did you watch last weekend? Can't Post

...or recently... or since the last time you posted?

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

BlackFox
Half-elven

Feb 24 2014, 3:28pm

Post #2 of 107 (480 views)
Shortcut
Olympics, Olympics, Olympics... [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile The last of them... Frown

"Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere." - Albert Einstein

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Feb 24 2014, 3:28pm)

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Feb 24 2014, 3:43pm

Post #3 of 107 (481 views)
Shortcut
Lawrence of Arabia [In reply to] Can't Post

Again!! Yes, my local theater offered a showing in the newly re-mastered digital version. They did this last year as well. There's never too much LoA for me! Then I got out my big box that has the anniversary special package and watched some of the extras. WOW! the Blu-ray copy is just phenomenal! All the beautiful colors are restored from the original film, and the definition is superb.

This (expensive yes) box set comes with the Blu-ray DVDs: one with the film, two with extras and a CD of the musical score. Totally worth it for me, as this is my favorite film of all time. I watched one of the extra bits last night with Peter O'Toole giving some commentary on his role in the film. It was done late on in his life, as he looked quite old (it was an interview around the time the newly re-mastered version had been completed). He said he was taught to ride a camel by the grandson of Auda Abu Tayi - how very fitting! And he mentioned how David Lean had him invent that scene where Lawrence first gets his bedouin robes and is running about like a school kid. Great stuff!

Pity he never won an Oscar for that role (and actually he has the distinction of being the actor with the most Oscar nominations - 8 in all - for Best Actor and never having won any of them). At least he won the BAFTA for it. He just passed away this last December.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Alassėa Eruvande
Valinor

Feb 24 2014, 4:06pm

Post #4 of 107 (486 views)
Shortcut
Downton Abbey. *rings Carson for tea* [In reply to] Can't Post

Finally! Edith is growing a spine!

I wonder if Rose would have missed her presentation and subsequent favor by the Prince of Wales and regretted a hasty marriage to Mr. Ross.

I liked the intrigue of the letter. It was a good way for Mary to be able to destroy Mr. Bates's tickets.

What?! Mr. Blake is the heir to a vast estate? He's on "our" side!

I want to smack Barrow! What a weasel. But I also don't like that school teacher. She is entirely unlikable. Tom Branson needs to stick with his stewardship and raising baby Sibby for a while. I think he took Sybil's death harder than Mary took Matthew's death. And I like that he doesn't mind the social obligations as much and even asked the Dowager to dance.

Cant' wait for next season!

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Patty
Immortal

Feb 24 2014, 4:11pm

Post #5 of 107 (479 views)
Shortcut
But, but.... [In reply to] Can't Post

What do you think of what happened at the last moment? It was just such a thrill for me!

Permanent address: Into the West

Ardamķrė
Valinor

Feb 24 2014, 4:14pm

Post #6 of 107 (472 views)
Shortcut
Downton [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd already seen the finale on DVD, but I watched it again last night when it was on. I'm actually glad I did, because the first time I saw it, I thought it wasn't too great. Not bad, but not great. I'm still don't think it was great, but I did enjoy it a lot more. And the very final scene between Mr. Carson and Mrs. Hughes was just perfect! I just love their relationship. It's not romantic exactly, but there's definitely a connection there. I'm very eager to see what happens with them in the next season.

I really enjoy Daisy's character development throughout the years. It's nice to see that she's really come into her own and had the opportunity to go to America. I was surprised that Ivy was seemingly written out so quickly, especially after just writing out Alfred. Looks like we'll have a fair bit of new-comers next year.

Mr. Molesley and Mrs. Baxter. I never would have pegged Mr. Molesley as a love interest for anyone, but I really, really enjoy them together. I also like how she's stepping out from under Thomas's thumb. Speaking of him, what was up with him this year? He had absolutely no growth from the events of season 3. I didn't want him to be completely "good", but he's been worse than ever.

I was initially very against Edith's pregnancy storyline, but I really have enjoyed where it's gone. It's actually one of the best written storylines on the show, IMO. I'm very glad that they've given her such meaty material this year. Hopefully that continues into next year. Since she's bringing her daughter closer to home, I'm expecting it to be a pretty major story. I love how she's really taken charge of her life in the past few episodes. And I absolutely love that Mr. Drew is so sympathetic. I'm certain he knows the child is Edith's. That scene between them was very beautiful.

"But until the end of Beleriand women of Brethil would come with flowers in spring and berries in autumn and sing there a while of the Grey Lady who sought in vain for her son." -The Wanderings of Hurin

Ardamķrė
Valinor

Feb 24 2014, 4:16pm

Post #7 of 107 (471 views)
Shortcut
School teacher [In reply to] Can't Post

I really liked her the first time we met her....but then she turned into Edna 2.0 Crazy

"But until the end of Beleriand women of Brethil would come with flowers in spring and berries in autumn and sing there a while of the Grey Lady who sought in vain for her son." -The Wanderings of Hurin

Alassėa Eruvande
Valinor

Feb 24 2014, 4:16pm

Post #8 of 107 (470 views)
Shortcut
I don't know. [In reply to] Can't Post

It wasn't that big a deal for me. They've been affectionate toward each other in the past, so it wasn't a huge shocker. I was more surprised that Carson was barefoot. He asked to hold on to her in case he wobbles, but they do that at Downton, don't they? They both depend on each other to keep things running smoothly. It's just not in-your-face.
But I definitely don't want to see them canoodling on the staircase in future episodes! Shocked Laugh

The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Patty
Immortal

Feb 24 2014, 4:22pm

Post #9 of 107 (467 views)
Shortcut
Ah. They won't canoodle… [In reply to] Can't Post

But I think Mrs. Hughes has been more than affectionate of Carson for a long time. Carson is not currently affectionate but this could lead somewhere. I really want it to.

(This post was edited by Patty on Feb 24 2014, 4:23pm)

Patty
Immortal

Feb 24 2014, 4:26pm

Post #10 of 107 (461 views)
Shortcut
I don't think she's an Edna 2.0 [In reply to] Can't Post

But I really don't like her. However, trying to be neutral about her, she may at some point be good for Tom as a person, because they may share similar interests. But I think she's a real threat to his life at Downton. Which is really all I care about.

Alassėa Eruvande
Valinor

Feb 24 2014, 4:26pm

Post #11 of 107 (460 views)
Shortcut
It would be sweet. [In reply to] Can't Post

But Mr. Carson is such a stickler for protocol I think it would be out of character. His wife is Downton Abbey. Angelic

Patty
Immortal

Feb 24 2014, 4:28pm

Post #12 of 107 (465 views)
Shortcut
True. [In reply to] Can't Post

But they are both starting to get on. It's time they had someone in their lives like that. I remember how Carson was singing when he found out Mrs. Hughes didn't have cancer. I don't think it was all the fact that he'd have to look for a new house keeper. I think he actually cares about her, even if he doesn't have a sweetheart loving relationship, he loves her in a different way, and she him. I want them to find each other almost as much as I wanted Mary and Matthew to get together.

Patty
Immortal

Feb 24 2014, 4:31pm

Post #13 of 107 (457 views)
Shortcut
I am happy to see Alfred and Ivy written out. [In reply to] Can't Post

I never cared for either of their characters.

Another thing Edith's a storyline is doing is giving Rosamond more of a role. I appreciate that, because Samantha Bond is a very good actress, and she was being underutilized.

Alassėa Eruvande
Valinor

Feb 24 2014, 4:32pm

Post #14 of 107 (458 views)
Shortcut
I think they needed a nasty Barrow cliff hanger. [In reply to] Can't Post

Now we're all going to fret over Tom Branson until next season. If Lord Grantham confronts him about it, I hope Tom will calmly explain what happened. He acted so darn guilty toward Barrow as if he had been busted.

I wish Barrow had done some growing over the last year. And Tom is Sybil's husband. Sybil, for whom Barrow shed a tear since she had always been kind to him. If he really cared anything at all about Sybil's kindness, Barrow would be kind to her husband, even if he used to be the chauffeur.

But then again, we wouldn't have a story. CrazyTongue

Alassėa Eruvande
Valinor

Feb 24 2014, 4:34pm

Post #15 of 107 (455 views)
Shortcut
I do think they love each other. [In reply to] Can't Post

I just think it's out of character for Carson to do anything about it other than what they are doing. He's going to fight it every step of the way, but they'll probably end up married. And that would be sweet.

Patty
Immortal

Feb 24 2014, 4:37pm

Post #16 of 107 (455 views)
Shortcut
Thomas is a lonewolf. [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't believe it when he got Anna and Bates into trouble over the dress that edna had burned. After all Bates had done for him at the end of the season before. He's just out for number one. I really hope that Mrs. Baxter completely escapes his clutches. And I'd love to see Mosley happy.

I don't think Edith didn't have a spine before. I think she was just a victim of circumstances that didn't allow her to use her spine. But I think now she's probably setting herself up for a lot of trouble. And I don't trust that the Farmer won't blackmail her or something later. Something is going to go wrong with this, Mark my words.

Starglass
Rivendell

Feb 24 2014, 4:41pm

Post #17 of 107 (458 views)
Shortcut
I'm sad that they're over [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been watching them pretty faithfully every night. What is your favorite Olympic event?

Alassėa Eruvande
Valinor

Feb 24 2014, 4:44pm

Post #18 of 107 (458 views)
Shortcut
I think the farmer is trustworthy. [In reply to] Can't Post

He really seems loyal to the family and the show hasn't made him out to be anything other than loyal. If it does come out that Edith is the mother, I think it will be something that Barrow overhears. But of course it will come out.

I'm hoping for a smack down between Molesley and Barrow. Molesley rang the bell after all, when Jimmy couldn't. Cool Molesley has been building up his muscles doing manual labor while Barrow has been skulking around Downton.

(This post was edited by Alassėa Eruvande on Feb 24 2014, 4:45pm)

Patty
Immortal

Feb 24 2014, 4:49pm

Post #19 of 107 (453 views)
Shortcut
An ice cream cone says that the Farmer will turn out to be a villain... [In reply to] Can't Post

You can make mine vanilla and chocolate right now.Sly

I wish Tom weren't so vulnerable. I agree with you that he should have just said something to Robert about it. But he is letting people push him around because he is just so lost. That's whyI'm thinking the obnoxious Sarah Bunting may be good for him. But I don't like it when people try to tell him that his direction should be away from the Crawley family just because his background was humble.

Alassėa Eruvande
Valinor

Feb 24 2014, 5:04pm

Post #20 of 107 (452 views)
Shortcut
But what's in it for him? [In reply to] Can't Post

He could blackmail Edith all he wants, but essentially, he's at the mercy of the family. Lord Grantham could just as easily boot him off the estate. As long as Edith comes clean to her parents, they will circle the wagons and protect her and her child. Just look at the extent they went to so the Prince of Wales wouldn't be scandalized.

No, I think the farmer will keep his mouth shut. Even if he had no loyalty at all to the family, the consequences are far worse for his own family if he were to blab.

I prefer Blue Bell's Southern Hospitality in a sugar cone. Laugh

Patty
Immortal

Feb 24 2014, 5:09pm

Post #21 of 107 (443 views)
Shortcut
True, there doesn't seem initially to be anything in it for him… [In reply to] Can't Post

But he could blackmail Edith and get that money from her and since she won't have told her family yet he can take the blackmail money and he would still be earning a salary from them too. I don't know, he looks like a bad 'un to me.

I may have to switch over to your cone selection.

And I will bite a strawberry shortcake that Mary will end up with Charles Blake.

Alassėa Eruvande
Valinor

Feb 24 2014, 5:13pm

Post #22 of 107 (450 views)
Shortcut
"bite" or "bet"? [In reply to] Can't Post

And I will bite a strawberry shortcake that Mary will end up with Charles Blake.

Laugh

Patty
Immortal

Feb 24 2014, 5:14pm

Post #23 of 107 (447 views)
Shortcut
Bet. Sometimes Siri makes mistakes I don't catch. [In reply to] Can't Post

She is no Mrs. Hughes.

Patty
Immortal

Feb 24 2014, 5:23pm

Post #24 of 107 (451 views)
Shortcut
In addition to Downton, I watched North and South – both versions. [In reply to] Can't Post

I dearly love Sir Patrick as an actor, but he was not the dark, brooding handsome hero of this series as RA is. I have a great deal of tolerance for the older BBC productions, and I think they have plenty of production values, at least this one did. But the big thing that was missing in it for me, in addition to a little more ramped up emotional dialogue, is the background music. Without incidental music in the background, these shows seem more dry than they really are. Contrast that with the R A version of North and South. The music really brought something to it.

Now, for anyone who has actually read the book, is the scene in London of the exhibition written into the storyline,? Or is this something that Sandy Welch just made up? I really think she did a much better job of making the story interesting then whoever adapted the BBC version. Also, was Mr. Bell as mischievous in the book as he was in the RA version? It really bordered a little bit on nasty. Also, the person who identified Margaret's brother at the train station, was he in the book?

Alassėa Eruvande
Valinor

Feb 24 2014, 5:26pm

Post #25 of 107 (449 views)
Shortcut
I think she will, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

She very subtly perked up when she found out that little tidbit about him. Cool

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.