Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
TORN exclusive: Del Toro “99 percent certain” says NL insider.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 30 2008, 5:28am

Post #1 of 50 (3448 views)
Shortcut
TORN exclusive: Del Toro “99 percent certain” says NL insider. Can't Post

Barring any earth-shattering or unforseen changes Guillermo del Toro will direct “The Hobbit.” However, the contracts are not signed and the deal is not final, according to a source close to the film.

In a conversation with TheOneRing.net, the source called it a 99% probability that del Toro would be helming the double picture but in Hollywood nothing is final until it is final. The official announcement, which - New Line Cinema will be eager to make when all the t’s are crossed and the i’s are dotted - will come after thewriter’s strike is settled.

While it is extremely likely that Guillermo del Toro will direct the adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien’s “The Hobbit,” and the sequel that acts as a bridge between that work and the epic “Lord of the Rings” movie trilogy, it is not yet set-in-stone official, according to the source. All parties on all sides were excited by the arrangement and were eager to get to work.

Still, the deal isn’t absolutely final. How could it fall apart?

“If the writer’s strike went on for another year and people’s schedules changed,” said the source.

Sam Raimi and del Toro were both in negotiations to direct the film but since the middle of December it looked as though things were going del Toro’s way. According to the source, after it was obvious that Peter Jackson, who directed the $3 billion “Lord of the Rings” film trilogy, would be too busy to helm the film, New Line felt it wanted as much of the same off-camera creative team to be involved as possible and those discussions have taken place with del Toro and New Line. While not legally binding, all parties agree that such an arrangement would be the right choice. Lower level producers and deal-makers in and around New Line had confidence in Raimi but felt that del Toro was the best solution.

“He is an excellent choice,” the source said. “He is somebody who has his own vision but will be able to work under Jackson’s vision as well.”

Born in Mexico, del Toro, would, like Jackson did when he tackled the “Lord of the Rings,” triple-film project, bring a film background with strong horror elements in it. He recently directed Academy Award nominee “Pan’s Labyrinth,” and also has on his resume, “Blade II,” and Spanish language ghost story, “The Devil’s Backbone.”

Del Toro’s “Hellboy II: The Golden Army,” based on the comic book character created by Mike Mignola, will hit theaters this summer.

Thanks to our own MrCere for this exclusive story!! CoolSmile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Sunflower
Valinor

Jan 30 2008, 5:44am

Post #2 of 50 (2043 views)
Shortcut
Writer's strike [In reply to] Can't Post

According to the AwardsDaily Message Boards, a WGA deal might be very close. Things seem to be moving behind the scenes there too. To quote Nikki FInke's site, , "the moguls seem to want a deal now as much as the writers do. Let's hope that the writers get a good deal out of it."

Plus Del Toro said that his plate was empty after whatever he'd been working on at present...I think I remember reading this a month or so ago on Mugglenet.com. The folks there wanted him for Deathly Hallows too. So I don''t see how there could be a schedule conflict...but we'll see.

*fingers crossed*

Keep those reports coming!

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Jan 30 2008, 5:52am)

Owlyross
Rohan

Jan 30 2008, 11:27am

Post #3 of 50 (1986 views)
Shortcut
Excellent news [In reply to] Can't Post

Particularly this bit

"New Line felt it wanted as much of the same off-camera creative team to be involved as possible and those discussions have taken place with del Toro and New Line"

Had to be really. Del Toro does realistic fantasy very well and would be a credit to the movie I think.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
Benjamin Franklin
The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
Horace Walpole (1717 - 1797)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 30 2008, 11:37am

Post #4 of 50 (1983 views)
Shortcut
*wild applause* This is GREAT! [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially this part... "New Line felt it wanted as much of the same off-camera creative team to be involved as possible and those discussions have taken place with del Toro and New Line." That means ALL of our creative talent will be back to shake the dust off their computers, bolts of material, tablets, foam latex and hammers! It's all good! Once the ink is dry and the writer's settle their disputes, the fun will begin!!!

Thanks Altaira and MrCere! *twitch* It's finally FINALLY happening... and I believe TheOneRing.net had a hand in... uh... encouraging New Line to see the wisdom of moving forward with Jackson and getting this puppy off the ground! *high five* Thank you!

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Elven
Valinor

Jan 30 2008, 12:01pm

Post #5 of 50 (1960 views)
Shortcut
We're just 1% away from confirmation! [In reply to] Can't Post

WOOT!!
So we're just waiting for a greenlight then!

Thankyou MrCere!! Way to go!!

I hope the writers strike doesn't last for 18 months!!
Though if Del Toro hasn't signed anything, then I suppose he could 'contemplate' what he would do with The Hobbit without it being official Wink

But the inks not dry yet *sigh*
Elven goes back to biting nails ... Smile
Tis very exciting stuff!!

Cheers

The Shire was never the same after
Barbra Cartland moved into Bagshot Row.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
The Hobbit!!
Its a Happening Thing!!

Russell Crowe for Beorn

Sauruman: "Do know how the fan girls/boys first came into being? ... they were Tolkien scholars once ... Taken by the Dark Director, tempted to hold moots & dress up like Hobbits, Elves, Dwarves and Wizards ... A ruined & terrible form of life, not to mentions bad grades ... and now perfected at TORN ...
Whom do you serve!"

deej
Tol Eressea

Jan 30 2008, 3:03pm

Post #6 of 50 (1885 views)
Shortcut
Very exciting! [In reply to] Can't Post

"New Line felt it wanted as much of the same off-camera creative team to be involved as possible and those discussions have taken place with del Toro and New Line"

That goes well with what I read over on Aint It Cool News recently;

"When Guillermo and I (Harry Knowles) talked about it, he spoke very heartfelt about how he had to adhere to what Peter had already established - but how he couldn't wait to expand that universe with the environments, creatures and most especially Smaug."

I think this is going to work out well. Smile

Dragoncon 2008: August 29th - September 1st in Atlanta, Georgia

http://www.dragoncon.org

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Jan 30 2008, 3:04pm

Post #7 of 50 (1903 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is all very exciting news!

Now I need to watch Hellboy and Pan's Labyrinth. Been meaning to for a while... no excuse now!

First step for GDT: Read LOTR, or hire someone who knows the books by heart ;)

VERY happy that the creative team will stay the same. Very, very happy.

Now to get a job at WETA... ;)

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 30 2008, 3:19pm

Post #8 of 50 (1907 views)
Shortcut
I loved Pan's Labrynth [In reply to] Can't Post

and think Del Toro is a fine choice. I'm a little concerned he has tried to read LOTR and finds it too dense. Hopefully he'll work a little harder to understand the material.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Voorhas
Lorien

Jan 30 2008, 4:21pm

Post #9 of 50 (1861 views)
Shortcut
Excellent... [In reply to] Can't Post

...though I'm going to keep my expectations in check until the official announcement is made.

He's the best man for the job, in my opinion. Talented, unique. Plus, he name-checks British fantasy illustrator Arthur Rackham in the Pan's Labyrinth extras, which is enough proof of his geek cred for me.

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." -- E.A. Poe

Elven
Valinor

Jan 30 2008, 4:57pm

Post #10 of 50 (1897 views)
Shortcut
Just a thought about the writers strike ... [In reply to] Can't Post

If Del Toro is Directing, and not script writing the Hobbit and the Second Movie, why does he have to wait for the writers strike to end?

Is it New Line he is dealing with?

This stirred my curiosity because New Line are setting up new deals for other movies and signing on directors - even though the writers wont be signed until after the strike ...
So will Del Toro have credits, as Peter did, with the scripting?

If so, the scripter credits may have a few names attached to them ...

Is it the Writers Strike that is holding things up? or Del Toros scheduled other movies - legals - or a bit of everything?

extract from Variety 29/01/08
http://www.variety.com/...tegoryId=13&cs=1
By Michael Flemming

New Line Sets Up New Nightmare

Platinum Dunes partners Michael Bay, Brad Fuller and Andrew Form have been set by New Line to relaunch the movie series centered on the iconic killer, who haunts the dreams of teenagers and kills them in their sleep.
The trio will create a new franchise based on Wes Craven’s 1984 film “A Nightmare on Elm Street.”
Originally played by Robert Englund, the Krueger character haunted nine films and two TV series in what was New Line’s most lucrative franchise until “The Lord of the Rings.”
Deal comes as Bay, Fuller and Form ready an early May start for “Friday the 13th,” New Line’s relaunch of another iconic baddie, Jason Voorhees. Marcus Nispel will direct from a script by Damian Shannon and Mark Swift (“Freddy vs. Jason”).
Both franchises will be given a complete overhaul, just as Platinum Dunes did with the Nispel-directed “The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.” New Line won’t hire a writer on “Nightmare” until the writers strike ends.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
The Hobbit!!
Its a Happening Thing!!

Russell Crowe for Beorn

Sauruman: "Do know how the fan girls/boys first came into being? ... they were Tolkien scholars once ... Taken by the Dark Director, tempted to hold moots & dress up like Hobbits, Elves, Dwarves and Wizards ... A ruined & terrible form of life, not to mentions bad grades ... and now perfected at TORN ...
Whom do you serve!"

ELfKing22

Jan 30 2008, 5:07pm

Post #11 of 50 (1871 views)
Shortcut
This was from an other post on here - Check it out! [In reply to] Can't Post

Does the Hobbit really need a reboot? Quote | Reply
I'm not happy about this reboot and remaking of the Hobbit. I do not think you should have two movies. I was reading on another website about how they will be doing a Hobbit 2.0 and that it will have nothing to do with the book. Sort of a who's who on how they got to the first Lord of the Rings movie. I hope Hobbit 2.0 doesn't turn out to be an episode of Lost where everyone is connected before they meet. Does anyone know if http://fusedfilmblog.com/ is right about this?

Shortround

ELfKing22

10 secs ago

Post #2 of 2 (1 views)
Copy Shortcut
I think that is confirming just Everyone [In reply to] Edit | Delete | Quote | Reply
They have the same video of him confirming as One Ring and IESB.net does.

Check it out http://fusedfilmblog.com/...rms-he-is-directing/

It is a pretty good blog very much like others mut the writers are pretty compelling see what they wrote early on about the Hobbit here -

http://fusedfilmblog.com/...the-hobbit%e2%80%99/

and http://fusedfilmblog.com/...the-hobbit-1-and-20/

Two opposing views, very interesting. Also if you are interested they have some aother good news too.

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Jan 30 2008, 5:20pm

Post #12 of 50 (1819 views)
Shortcut
*Keeping fingers crossed* [In reply to] Can't Post

Del Toro has been one of my favorite picks for directing "The Hobbit," so I'm delighted by this news!

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Elven
Valinor

Jan 30 2008, 5:48pm

Post #13 of 50 (1845 views)
Shortcut
The article has certainly hit the net ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Lots of comments and blogs about it and sourcing the tORN article! Smile

Some have already placed Del Toro as the Director on their pages ... like at MovieWeb ...
http://www.movieweb.com/news/19/26119.php

if you scroll down to the bottom of the page - both the Hobbit and the Sequel have him listed as Director ... Smile

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
The Hobbit!!
Its a Happening Thing!!

Russell Crowe for Beorn

Whom do you serve!"

Bilbo the Rover
The Shire

Jan 30 2008, 6:46pm

Post #14 of 50 (1919 views)
Shortcut
Too Dark for Middle Earth ? [In reply to] Can't Post

I just read an article posted at another site in which someone posted they felt GDT would bring us a vison of Middle Earth that is "too dark" ....Middle Earth is Dark and Dangerous ! as well as full of light, that is why I think Guillermo will be perfect for the Hobbit . The goblins under the Misty Mountains, Mirkwood and the horrible Battle of the Five Armies are not childs play, not to mention Smaug ! all the stuff of nightmares. I hope all the rumours are true ! being that it is being reported here, I really feel like it's going to happen with GDT and I for one am sooooooo EXCITED !

Photobucket

Lunamoth
Rohan

Jan 30 2008, 6:55pm

Post #15 of 50 (1859 views)
Shortcut
Have to agree [In reply to] Can't Post

When I re-read The Hobbit as an adult, it occurred to me what a dark story it is, considering the Professor told it to his children as he wrote it. And I remember watching the animated feature in the school library on rainy days (when we couldn't use the playground at recess) and being scared of the Mirkwood Elves AND Gollum. Very dark story.

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 30 2008, 7:02pm

Post #16 of 50 (1797 views)
Shortcut
I think this is good news [In reply to] Can't Post

He's an excellent director with a great track record. I shall start keeping an eye out for him wandering around Wellington! Laugh

The New Zealand Christmas tree, the pohutukawa; Wellington, December 2007

Pohutukawa

Doriath
Rivendell

Jan 30 2008, 8:31pm

Post #17 of 50 (1777 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit will be good! [In reply to] Can't Post

Best news ever! This movie is now guaranteed to be GREAT!!!

Smile

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Jan 30 2008, 9:33pm

Post #18 of 50 (1773 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful! [In reply to] Can't Post

This kind of story is what we wanted to hear. Something that was more certain than the rumors we've been reading.

Thanks Altaira!

Here's to hoping the strike is over and donde with soon.

Let it be heard! We want Jackson to direct The Hobbit!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

elentari3018
Rohan

Jan 30 2008, 10:48pm

Post #19 of 50 (1778 views)
Shortcut
If it's that dark... [In reply to] Can't Post

would it really cater to children then? I guess the target audience will make it a PG-13 rating and similar to how LotR the movie was? The Hobbit was light though in tone, and we never doubted that Bilbo would make it back to the Shire. There are a lot of comical aspects of it and to lose all that and to make it dark-- would that be in the spirit of Tolkien and the book?

"By Elbereth and Luthien the fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me!" ~Frodo

"And then Gandalf arose and bid all men rise, and they rose, and he said: 'Here is a last hail ere the feast endeth. Last but not least. For I name now those who shall not be forgotten and without whose valour nought else that was done would have availed; and I name before you all Frodo of the Shire and Samwise his servant. And the bards and the minstrels should give them new names: Bronwe athan Harthad and Harthad Uluithiad , Endurance beyond Hope and Hope Unquenchable.." ~Gandalf, The End of the Third Age , from The History of Middle Earth series

Lunamoth
Rohan

Jan 30 2008, 10:59pm

Post #20 of 50 (1763 views)
Shortcut
think about the animated film [In reply to] Can't Post

As I said, the Mirkwood elves and Gollum scared me when I was little, and the animated feature was *intended* for children, rated G, indeed shown to us kids in the elementary school library. If it can be that dark in the 70s, why not now?

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Jan 30 2008, 11:14pm

Post #21 of 50 (1812 views)
Shortcut
Jumping the gun on the sequel [In reply to] Can't Post

Del Toro has yet to read LOTR, and the "sequel" of the Hobbit is more of a prelude to LOTR. I would hope they would grab someone who knows the appendices of LOTR to direct the second film.

Or to get Del Toro caught up on his reading >_<

My LJ
My art site

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Jan 30 2008, 11:20pm

Post #22 of 50 (1777 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

Basically everything in Hollywood has been halted in light of the writer's strike. And, well, you need a script before you can really start directing. And they just may want to avoid smushing any toes, thus they are avoiding all official announcements and contract signing until the writer's strike is officially ended.

The reason they may be halting news on this project instead of other projects is just how *big* it is. If done correctly, this is going to be a ridiculously huge blockbuster. Though, of course, your own suspicion may be correct and he may be involved in the script writing as well.

But goodness knows there may be other issues, too.

My LJ
My art site

Bilbo the Rover
The Shire

Jan 30 2008, 11:42pm

Post #23 of 50 (1764 views)
Shortcut
Yes....it's that DARK [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
would it really cater to children then? I guess the target audience will make it a PG-13 rating and similar to how LotR the movie was? The Hobbit was light though in tone, and we never doubted that Bilbo would make it back to the Shire. There are a lot of comical aspects of it and to lose all that and to make it dark-- would that be in the spirit of Tolkien and the book?

Of course it's a dark tale, most "faery" tales are ! either kids are being eaten by witches or bloodthirsty wolves. Pick up some of the Brothers Grimm's tales and tell me those aren't dark. They are allegory and morality plays and they are meant to be scary. Disney and the like are responsible for taking the bite out of faery. Tolkien himself said that the world of faery is a dangerous place, and yes , it would be in the spirit of the book to be on the dark side. There is a clear transition in the tale when it goes from "light and comical" to "dark and foreboding". Pick up some the annotated version of the Hobbit or the wonderful History of the Hobbit that came out this year, there is alot behind this "childrens tale".

Photobucket

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Jan 31 2008, 12:00am

Post #24 of 50 (1760 views)
Shortcut
I believe Del Toro... [In reply to] Can't Post

Will become something of a Tolkien fan. He'll read everything, no doubt, and maybe with other eyes. Who knows? Maybe he'll find the Tolkien fan we all have within us. Tongue

Let it be heard! We want Jackson to direct The Hobbit!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

Sunflower
Valinor

Jan 31 2008, 12:26am

Post #25 of 50 (1760 views)
Shortcut
Of course...and DVD extras for The Hobbit (ses) [In reply to] Can't Post

PS Compa, check that other directing thread from yesterdasy. I think you mixed up a post of mine and Diedye's.Smile I have a reply there.

Someone brought up the topic of "Will there be EE's now, and Appendice-style video diaries" etc.

Oh yes, I think there WILL be. New Line needs the money, as much as possible *cough* and PJ has said I am sure that he as well as the fans love the EE's. One thing I am hoping happens is that GDT films Beorn, and he ends up in the EE if not onscreen.
As to diaries....PJ is an obsessive diarist, but this seems to have begun with LOTR. You don;t find obsessive diaries on the Heavenly Creatures or Frighteners DVD's. I think it is with his "blockbuster" productions.

With Del Toro, as I said, this will be a watershed moment for not only the Mexican film industry, but (as you seem to indicate) for the country as a whole. It will have the same patriotic effect as PJ chosen for LOTR has on NZ. I think Del Toro, conscious of the film hisotry being made, WILL want a crew onset following him around documenting everything. I think he and PJ could even collaberate on this...maybe the unofficial LOTR "video diarist" could get his job back for this. Or a Del Toro-chosen equivalent. I think both film-makers are very conscious of what the audineces want, the Appendices were VERY populalr.

Plus I have always believed that one of the first things any new director of TH would do, to give himself a crash course in cinemtic ME, to get to know WETA and many of the people and places he will be dealing with, is watching theDVD Appendices. That should give some ideas!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.