Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Official Introduction & Welcome Thread
First page Previous page 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... 27 Next page Last page  View All

mj

Nov 26 2013, 5:43pm

Post #426 of 666 (107915 views)
Shortcut
Hi [In reply to] Can't Post

I`m mj...just plain mj, nothing fancy. I have been a fan of LOTR and The Hobbit for ...35 years or so I guess. Love the movies, love the books.

"...laceration?....evisceration?....incineration??"

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 30 2013, 11:26pm

Post #427 of 666 (105495 views)
Shortcut
Welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry for the delay in responding - big holiday week in the US. Look forward to seeing you on the message boards - it's about to get exciting Smile

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 30 2013, 11:27pm

Post #428 of 666 (106193 views)
Shortcut
Welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

As i just mentioned to mj below, this is the Thanksgiving holiday in the US and some of the mods are a bit distracted. That, and a certain movie that's being released Cool. Glad to see you here!

Nimloth
Lorien

Dec 1 2013, 1:02am

Post #429 of 666 (107484 views)
Shortcut
Welcome mj// [In reply to] Can't Post

Aedelingerain

Dec 7 2013, 8:54pm

Post #430 of 666 (126957 views)
Shortcut
Hello [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello everyone, my name is Jane, i'm 25 in January and live in the east of England, UK. I have only just joined the message board here but have been aware of TORN for sometime now and I figured that because I don't have anyone to share my views on all things Middle Earth offline i'd save it for here where I know others will be equally interested. With the Hobbit films lately I think i've now annoyed people with my constant thoughts about latest news and what not so it will be of much joy to them I have an outlet to do so now and I can shut up (except I won't ;) mwhaha).

A little bit about me... I graduated in BA Graphic Design some years ago but i'm slowly working towards a career in Conservation. In the mean time I work part time self employed as a trader of shiny things.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 7 2013, 11:38pm

Post #431 of 666 (124678 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to TORn Jane! :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

You've definitely joined at the right moment - just before The Desolation of Smaug kicks off! Smile Have you got your tickets booked?

There's a fair number of us here from the UK. Where in the east are you from? I lived in Norwich for a couple of years, but I originally grew up in London.

You wouldn't have a shiny gold ring lieing about? Wink Hope to see you around!

Aedelingerain

Dec 9 2013, 8:44pm

Post #432 of 666 (129562 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not one for booking my tickets, I tend to wait until the cinemas aren't so packed for viewings and just buy them before the film is screened at week or so late when it isn't as busy as i'm really not a fan of hectic queues and so on. It would be nice to experience it on the night of the release, perhaps more so if I had friends to enjoy the experience with but alas. This time round i'm hoping to go with one of my elder brothers.

I live more closer to Ipswich so not too far away, it has been some time since I last ventured Norwich way so a long overdue trip is needed really, perhaps in the new year around the time of my birthday since I have nothing planned.

Haha, well no gold 'one ring' has come to me, if it did I may end up reenacting a scene like when Gandalf says he can't take the ring from Frodo. We have been known to buy silver 'one rings' and occasionally we've bought gold rings which look as though a royal elve would have worn them at one point.

Bard'sBlackArrow
Lorien

Dec 15 2013, 2:06pm

Post #433 of 666 (127802 views)
Shortcut
Hi... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi everyone,

The Hobbit is a favorite book of mine. I am enjoying the films too (for the most part.) Lately, I'm drawn to Middle Earth's human characters, though skin-changers, Ents and Wizards and a Hobbit named Bilbo work for me too. Oh and the dwarves too (although Thorin is not allowed to get the Arkenstone just yet... Tongue )

Rather rusty with LoTR, might have to give it another read.

I always enjoy escaping with a good fantasy, science fiction or the occasional horror film, book or comic.

I am a newbie to this forum, but have enjoyed Middle Earth for quite some time. Not a purist, but someone who appreciates the worlds and words and images created.

Ellen

Dec 15 2013, 8:49pm

Post #434 of 666 (126357 views)
Shortcut
Introduction [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi! My name is Ellen, I'm 44, just came back from seeing DOS and I am really hoping that I am posting this correctly as I have never posted on a message board before...

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 15 2013, 9:02pm

Post #435 of 666 (131366 views)
Shortcut
welcome.... you posted just fine. :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Hope you like it here.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

kapainter

Dec 30 2013, 3:15am

Post #436 of 666 (132335 views)
Shortcut
Excited to join you all :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi everyone! My name is Katherine and though I'm not new to Tolkien, I'm new to this forum :). I've been scouring the site but was a little overwhelmed about joining the message board as there are so many wonderful people posting everyday! With that said, I figured a good New Year's resolution would be to put myself out there and finally say hello.

I'm in my twenties and about to move to Seattle (so if you're around that area, say hi!). Perhaps one of my favorite things about the movies is Howard Shore's beautiful pieces that really bring life to the story (both film and novel). As for the novels--what's not to love?

Hopefully you'll see me around every now and then on posts and, again, I'm quite excited to be more active in this community. :)

Kim
Valinor

Dec 30 2013, 3:27am

Post #437 of 666 (119459 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to TORn! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's definitely a busy time to join the boards, but jump on in - it's fun!

I'm also in the Seattle area, so happy to help with any tips as you get settled in. Good luck with your move! Smile

katkoger

Jan 9 2014, 8:49pm

Post #438 of 666 (106079 views)
Shortcut
Hello! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi!

Though I never posted in the forums, I have been a lurker of tORN since mid-2001. I finally

My name is Kat. I am 25, from Calgary, Canada, a geoscientist and I have been a Tolkien fan for as long as I can remember.

I am looking forward to becoming an active member of this forum (yay!)

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 9 2014, 9:05pm

Post #439 of 666 (109005 views)
Shortcut
Welcome! / [In reply to] Can't Post

May 1910: The Nine Kings assembled at Buckingham Palace for the funeral of Edward VII.
(From left to right, back row: Haakon VII of Norway, Ferdinand I of Bulgaria, Manuel II of Portugal, Wilhelm II of Germany, George I of Greece, and Albert I of Belgium. Front row: Alphonso XIII of Spain, George V of England, and Frederick VIII of Denmark.)

annathepiper

Jan 13 2014, 7:08pm

Post #440 of 666 (107815 views)
Shortcut
Hi, I'm Angela, and I'm an author and a reader and a Tolkien language nerd :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi TORN folks!

I just joined the forums last night and wanted to announce myself, and am happy to have found the right thread on which to do so. :)

My name's Angela Korra'ti, though I'm also known as Anna the Piper (my common online nickname) and Angela Highland (one of the two names under which I publish writing). I answer happily to either Angela or Anna.

I'm a lifelong Tolkien nerd, ever since I read The Hobbit in my sixth grade English class. With the coming of the new Hobbit movies, I've been doing a slow re-read of the book, not only in English, but also in German and French as I've been slowly studying both languages. Reading the book in unfamiliar languages is huge fun! And I hope to do a multi-lingual re-read of LotR soon as well as I've got French editions of those books. (When I get REALLY good at my French, maybe I'll tackle a translation of The Silmarillion!)

Movie-wise, I am pro-Tauriel, and Tauriel/Kili? I ship it. ;)

Non-Tolkien-wise, I'm a QA Engineer, a writer, and an amateur musician (I love me some trad music, particularly from Newfoundland and Quebec).

Looking forward to getting to know this community and reading all the lovely threads on the various boards!

I live at http://www.angelahighland.com, so if you'd like to come over and check out my 'tolkien' tag, and in particular my Trilingual Hobbit Reread, please do!

Cheers all,
Angela

Angela Highland * Angela Korra'ti * angelahighland.com

elaen32
Gondor

Jan 13 2014, 8:59pm

Post #441 of 666 (105483 views)
Shortcut
Mae Govannen Angela! [In reply to] Can't Post

You've come to the right place. Do join us in the Reading Room sometime- and, doing a shameless plug- we have started a 3-4 times yearly "Symposium" whereby we invite members to write a piece on a topic of interest to them connected to Tolkien's work. Open to allcomers- the next one is due in April
Welcome!Smile

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

annathepiper

Jan 14 2014, 6:12am

Post #442 of 666 (106672 views)
Shortcut
Thank you very much! [In reply to] Can't Post

elaen32, thank you for the welcome! I've already started browsing stuff in the Reading Room, thank you! Looking forward to seeing what's getting discussed and what I can possibly contribute to the threads. :)

Cheers,
Angela

Angela Highland * Angela Korra'ti * angelahighland.com

Neldoreth
The Shire

Jan 18 2014, 1:44am

Post #443 of 666 (109544 views)
Shortcut
New here [In reply to] Can't Post

Greetings! I have been lurking around for about a year and finally decided to join. I am very interested in the discussions in the reading room and have to say that just reading through those has enhanced my enjoyment of Tolkien's work greatly.

I hope to work up to actually posting on a discussion in the year ahead!

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 18 2014, 1:48am

Post #444 of 666 (107720 views)
Shortcut
Welcome Neldoreth! [In reply to] Can't Post

Saw your interest in the Reading Room and am glad to hear it! Welcome and enjoy! Hope to see you there!
Currently discussing Unfinished Tales (minus the Narn). Children of Hurin looks like it is next, and for the 60th Anniversary of its publication we would like to start FOTR.

Have an idea relating to the world of JRR Tolkien that you would like to write about? If so, the Third TORn Amateur Symposium will be running in the Reading Room in April, 2014. We hope to see you there!

Ellanara
The Shire

Jan 18 2014, 9:38pm

Post #445 of 666 (107551 views)
Shortcut
Hello [In reply to] Can't Post

My name is Jennifer, but on the web I'm always Ellanara. I live in southern California with my husband and Bengal cat, Kira. Origianlly, we're from Atlanta, Georgia, but we were seeking adventure, so we're here now!
A little bit about me: I love movies. All kinds, I'm not picky, I just love the escapism of sitting down and diving into another persons life in a different place and time. I actually get excited every time I go to the cinema and/or buy a new blue ray. I also read, of course. I first read Tolkien when I was 11 years old. I was very much into Harry Potter at the time, but when the preview for Fellowship hit the screens, I was sucked right in! I read the trilogy and then The Hobbit and I must say, The Hobbit was and still is my favorite. I don't pretend to be a Tolkien expert, but when it comes to the films... I know my stuff. My taste in books is much like my taste in movie, I'll read anything. I also enjoy going to the gym and cooking. I'm pretty fun and laid back, I love to travel and try new things. OH! I love people. I don't mind meeting new people, in fact, in my career I do it a lot!
I hope I can contribute to the community in a fun and positive way!
Let's be friends!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 19 2014, 2:38am

Post #446 of 666 (109215 views)
Shortcut
Hello, back atcha... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and welcome to TORn, Ellanara! I think you'll have a fun time here! Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

EreborChick

Feb 13 2014, 2:42am

Post #447 of 666 (107575 views)
Shortcut
Tokien fan from Argentina [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, I'm from Argentina (no, not from Buenos Aires).
I have been a Tolkien fan for a lot of years (most of my life) since I discoverd a huge book on the nightstand of my best friend. It was "The Two Towers" from the library and the comment of my friend (huge SF fan like myself) was "it's rubbish, I didn't finish it". I took it and think that I finished it the same day (night). The traumatic experience afterwards was going every day during a month or so to the library and try to get the other two volumes. Two years later visiting friends in Munich (forgot to mention that I lived 14 years in Germany), I discoverd that they had LOTR in their bookcase! And they not only were Tolkien fans, they also know that there was an earlier book: The Hobbit! My visit was to ride a friends horse, but I spent most of my visit laying on the couch and reading.
When the movies of PJ came out, I didn't bother to go to the theatre. I had seen enough bad literary adaptations in my life. Maybe not bad, but not better as the images in my head. This changed when my oldest daughter came back from TT, enthusiastic and looking for the books! I think they were the first books she finished to read in her whole life. Later we bought the DVDs and all the family gather periodically to make some LOTR marathons. I'm waiting for the complete Hobbit edition and can imagine some epic family bonding during a weekend Hobbit / LOTR.

I have spent some days to read this forum before signing up. I like the discussions because they are passionate and insightful, but not agressive to others when there is disagreement. That was something I didn't liked on other forums. I also have become a dwarf fan since AUJ and DOS.

Hope to stay here and participate, even if I'm only a fangirl.

(This post was edited by EreborChick on Feb 13 2014, 2:47am)

Kim
Valinor

Feb 13 2014, 3:10am

Post #448 of 666 (106120 views)
Shortcut
Fangirls welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

No 'only' about it, especially if it involves the dwarves! Welcome, I hope you have fun around here. :-)

CuriousG
Half-elven

Feb 14 2014, 8:33pm

Post #449 of 666 (107195 views)
Shortcut
Welcome, EreborChick! [In reply to] Can't Post

And what a great story of your introduction to Middle-earth. It's admirable that you were able to walk into the middle of the trilogy and make sense of it. So glad you found the rest of the legends!

BlackFox
Half-elven

Feb 14 2014, 9:28pm

Post #450 of 666 (107620 views)
Shortcut
Hello, everyone! [In reply to] Can't Post

Although I have been around these boards for a bit now, I thought I’d finally introduce myself officially.
I’m J. L. aka BlackFox from Estonia, a tiny country south of Finland. Compared to many others here, I’m quite new to being a fan of Tolkien. So, here’s my story…
I remember first lending a copy of “The Hobbit” from my local library when I was about 9 or 10. But for some odd reason I couldn’t get past the first sentence (“In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit.” – A what? Crazy). Anyway, I ended up returning the book without reading it (what a fool I was!). I first saw the LOTR films on TV – I liked them and would watch them whenever they were shown, but nothing more. Then came the year 2012. I knew AUJ was about to hit the screens and slowly an interest started to grow in me. I went and saw it right before the holidays and was not disappointed. I spent the Christmas reading “The Hobbit” (finally!) and well, fell in love. This was followed by me also devouring the LOTR, The Silmarillion, buying the DVDs etc. And here I am now, in the company of you, fine people.
Smile

"Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere." - Albert Einstein

First page Previous page 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... 27 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.