First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Skaan
Lorien

Dec 10 2013, 10:06pm

Post #1 of 73 (1656 views)
Shortcut
Thrain will be in the DoS extended edition Can't Post

http://www.vulture.com/...erview.html?mid=imdb

When we last spoke at the premiere of the first Hobbit movie, I asked you about something that you said would be in the second movie, and then it wasn't. So I have to ask: Why we didn't see Thráin, Thorin Oakenshield's father, give Gandalf the map and key?
Ah, yes. That's going to be in the extended cut of the second film. In the end, it became about length and time and pace, and yeah, it's a very important part of the storytelling, but really, that's part of the brutality of filmmaking. As much as it informs Thorin's story, you're bringing in yet another character that you have to explain. We did actually shoot it. But Peter made the decision that this stuff is going to work best in the extended cut. If you're a Tolkien fan, you're going to want to see how this plays out.

(This post was edited by Skaan on Dec 10 2013, 10:07pm)

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 10 2013, 10:11pm

Post #2 of 73 (922 views)
Shortcut
I can see... [In reply to] Can't Post

... that it added not that much in the end to the overall story of he movieverse, though many people won't accept this as long as made up characters are in the film.

But Thrain would have always been a hard character to add some forward drive to the story... so I thought he might help Gandalf escape if at all.

And it gives us a first really great thing for the EE.

“All good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at."

(This post was edited by Arannir on Dec 10 2013, 10:11pm)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Dec 10 2013, 10:12pm

Post #3 of 73 (882 views)
Shortcut
Fair point... [In reply to] Can't Post

I suppose all PJ's made up material is just stretching the story to the point that important book details have to be cut. No big deal.

But it does make me wonder why they kept Smaug in.. I mean, he's just another character that you'd have to explain. Probably best for the Extended cut so they can fit more Legolas in.

Skaan
Lorien

Dec 10 2013, 10:13pm

Post #4 of 73 (840 views)
Shortcut
Bombur [In reply to] Can't Post

She also mentioned Bombur falling into the Mirkwood river will likely be for the extended edition aswell.

Faleel
Rohan

Dec 10 2013, 10:15pm

Post #5 of 73 (852 views)
Shortcut
But. [In reply to] Can't Post

But what did Thrain do in this cut material?

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 10 2013, 10:17pm

Post #6 of 73 (804 views)
Shortcut
I hope the Tolkien-off will make it on the Appendicies. [In reply to] Can't Post

Gotta love Mrs Boyens.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at."

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Dec 10 2013, 10:17pm

Post #7 of 73 (804 views)
Shortcut
Not seen the film and I already prefer the extended cut // [In reply to] Can't Post

Faleel
Rohan

Dec 10 2013, 10:19pm

Post #8 of 73 (796 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

Because seeing Thrain running around and doing nothing essential to the plot will add to the film (Gandalf already has the Map and key...)

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Post #9 of 73 (839 views)
Shortcut
Smaug [In reply to] Can't Post

Alas PJ already wasted many minutes in AUJ explaining Smaug, though, so cutting him was not an option...Wink

lidlessEye
Rivendell

Post #10 of 73 (787 views)
Shortcut
yeah…blabla [In reply to] Can't Post

last time PJ said it will be in the SEE of AUJ, then he changed his mind again…i don't believe this guy anymore, because 24h before the premier he still doesn't know what will be in the movie and what won't.
i don't care if its in the SEE of DoS or the TC od TaBa…because they will be released both in about a year

Name
Rohan

Dec 10 2013, 10:20pm

Post #11 of 73 (786 views)
Shortcut
Ah ha! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I suppose all PJ's made up material is just stretching the story to the point that important book details have to be cut. No big deal.

But it does make me wonder why they kept Smaug in.. I mean, he's just another character that you'd have to explain. Probably best for the Extended cut so they can fit more Legolas in.

Actually Thrain is a PJ creation for The Hobbit. In the books Thrain is assumed to be dead by now. Just like Azog, eh? So by your logic, you like Azog too.........

*beware of posting hate mail before checking your facts*

My name is Name, which, name-wise, is a much better name than your first name, last name, or name's name could ever plan on naming themselves.

Skaan
Lorien

Dec 10 2013, 10:21pm

Post #12 of 73 (764 views)
Shortcut
Well then you're in luck! [In reply to] Can't Post

Because this time it wasn't PJ who said itWink

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Dec 10 2013, 10:21pm

Post #13 of 73 (832 views)
Shortcut
He introduced Thrain and said he went missing [In reply to] Can't Post

But then never explained when Gandalf met him? It was the main part of the film that I was interested in. Because the info we're given doesn't make sense

Escapist
Gondor

Dec 10 2013, 10:22pm

Post #14 of 73 (768 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't be surprised. [In reply to] Can't Post

I honestly got the feeling that in a two movie split, Mirkwood would be handed extremely minimalistically, which I think would totally miss the point that if the party hadn't stumbled on the Elven King and his halls they wouldn't have been able to struggle through the forest on their own. This shows another element of the entanglement of the fates of Thorin and Thranduil.

I'm glad they are fitting as much of Mirkwood in as they seem to be doing. I can't complain too much if some bits of the Mirkwood trip are left for an EE. I must admit that I found the experience of Bombur in that river (especially the dreams) quite interesting. But I can also see how this is a more slow-paced, mysterious episode that fits more with a mystery / horror flick than an action / adventure flick. There is an element of the movie going culture that has taken a pretty intolerant turn towards anything that breathes for even a second between beats. Maybe the film that includes that cool moment is not for this generation.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Dec 10 2013, 10:22pm

Post #15 of 73 (761 views)
Shortcut
Thrain giving Gandalf the map and key is not a PJ invention // [In reply to] Can't Post

Faleel
Rohan

Dec 10 2013, 10:23pm

Post #16 of 73 (773 views)
Shortcut
But [In reply to] Can't Post

that still does not make it important.

Faleel
Rohan

Dec 10 2013, 10:23pm

Post #17 of 73 (758 views)
Shortcut
But [In reply to] Can't Post

Him being alive is.

Gandalf already has the key anyway.

lidlessEye
Rivendell

Dec 10 2013, 10:25pm

Post #18 of 73 (751 views)
Shortcut
it clearly sucks... [In reply to] Can't Post

that thrain has be shown in every trailer since two years, and has been cut now again…for the third time

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Dec 10 2013, 10:26pm

Post #19 of 73 (737 views)
Shortcut
You're missing a point here... [In reply to] Can't Post

The quote refers specifically to the flashback sequence in which Gandalf receives the map and key. This is the scene we are discussing. Not whether Thrain is alive or dead in Dol Guldur

DavidDevant
Lorien

Dec 10 2013, 10:26pm

Post #20 of 73 (761 views)
Shortcut
Sorry to be dense but what doesn't make sense [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure I follow.

daemoon
Rivendell

Dec 10 2013, 10:27pm

Post #21 of 73 (719 views)
Shortcut
Good to hear [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll really miss this part in the TE.

lidlessEye
Rivendell

Post #22 of 73 (712 views)
Shortcut
then i have hope [In reply to] Can't Post

:D

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Post #23 of 73 (739 views)
Shortcut
What doesn't make sense [In reply to] Can't Post

...is exactly how and when Gandalf receives the map and key. We assume it does not happen in Dol Guldur, like the books, because Gandalf assumes that Dol Guldur is abandoned.

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 10 2013, 10:30pm

Post #24 of 73 (735 views)
Shortcut
I could see Thrain getting the Denethor treatment, [In reply to] Can't Post

Planned for both part three and two, but in the end only showing up in the EE of the second part and part three.

We could have a Moria (or whatever location) flashback in which the map and key go to Gandalf in the DoS EE.

And we could still have Thrain help Gandalf out of his prison in DG in both versions.

Unless the DG storyline, as some think, has changed so drastically that there is not much room for Thrain anymore at all.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Dec 10 2013, 10:31pm)

Faleel
Rohan

Dec 10 2013, 10:31pm

Post #25 of 73 (685 views)
Shortcut
Yes.. [In reply to] Can't Post

But how is it relevant to the story? we already know Gandy has the key, why do we need to show it? other than that some people need everything shown to them visually?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.