Shortcut
Very nice. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 8 2013, 8:02pm

Post #5 of 39 (1872 views)
Shortcut
Thanks very much. [In reply to] Can't Post

Good to have this while RT is rather underperforming with being up to date.

“All good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at."

shadowfaux
Bree

Dec 8 2013, 8:24pm

Post #6 of 39 (1922 views)
Shortcut
Found one [In reply to] Can't Post

Didn't see this in the list:

They gave it 5/5 stars

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/movies/354315/Review-and-trailer-The-Hobbit-The-Desolation-Of-Smaug-3D-PG-

Wordofmask
Lorien

Dec 8 2013, 8:27pm

Post #7 of 39 (1789 views)
Shortcut
Very Thx! [In reply to] Can't Post

He is on critic list of RT too

IncredibleSmaug
The Shire

Dec 8 2013, 8:30pm

Post #8 of 39 (1761 views)
Shortcut
Got it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Joe20
Lorien

Dec 8 2013, 8:31pm

Post #9 of 39 (1819 views)
Shortcut
This. This makes me happy... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

"The action doesn’t just look more real than it did in the first film, it feels it too. After last year’s cartoony, multi-level chase in Goblinland, you get the sense that the laws of physics have been reinstated in Middle-earth.
Now the violence comes with consequences. When a dwarf tumbles down a waterfall or gets singed by dragon fire, you don’t expect him to just shake his head and carry on his way."

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 8 2013, 8:32pm

Post #10 of 39 (1815 views)
Shortcut
That quote has me pumped. [In reply to] Can't Post

Apparently, the sequence was made with a mixture of physical effects and digital trickery. I defy anyone to spot a single join.
The action doesn’t just look more real than it did in the first film, it feels it too.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at."

shadowfaux
Bree

Dec 8 2013, 8:49pm

Post #11 of 39 (1758 views)
Shortcut
Couple more ... [In reply to] Can't Post

This review by peter bradshaw is on the critic list. It is positive, no score:

http://gulfnews.com/arts-entertainment/film/dvd-reviews/review-the-hobbit-the-desolation-of-smaug-1.1264704

This one is a bit more on the mixed side, no score:
Author Stella Papamichael shows up on RT critic list too

The Hobbit: the Desolation of Smaug review - "a film of great moments rather than a great film"

shadowfaux
Bree

Dec 8 2013, 8:53pm

Post #12 of 39 (1722 views)
Shortcut
denofgeek [In reply to] Can't Post

A positive review with a few quibbles, not on RT critic list:

http://www.denofgeek.us/tv/the-hobbit/231465/the-hobbit-the-desolation-of-smaug-review

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Dec 8 2013, 9:01pm

Post #13 of 39 (1681 views)
Shortcut
tv3 nz video review [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdMLelqakEU

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 8 2013, 9:09pm

Post #14 of 39 (1672 views)
Shortcut
He is really no fan :D - But those who share the CGI judgment will certainly agree in parts. [In reply to] Can't Post

Devin Faraci ‏@devincf 4m
After HOBBIT 3 I'd like someone to challenge Peter Jackson to make a movie that doesn't have useless CGI. He needs to lose the computer.

Devin Faraci ‏@devincf 3m
There are these CGI bumblebees in HOBBIT 2 that are absolutely, inarguably pointless. They're indicative of a larger problem.

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 8 2013, 9:11pm

Post #15 of 39 (1592 views)
Shortcut
Tauriel really gets a LOT of praise from DIFFERENT corners. [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice. Go Lilly!

MatthewJer18
Rohan

Dec 8 2013, 9:11pm

Post #16 of 39 (1621 views)
Shortcut
Yet Devin loved Del Toro's Pacific Rim... [In reply to] Can't Post

So many shots of that movie are completely CGI that it's basically a live-action anime.

Balrogslunch
The Shire

Dec 8 2013, 9:18pm

Post #17 of 39 (1680 views)
Shortcut
digital spy review! [In reply to] Can't Post

A very good review from Digital spy....with many pros and a couple of negatives but very well written!

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/...tal-spy-verdict.html

4/5....stars

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 8 2013, 9:19pm

Post #18 of 39 (1583 views)
Shortcut
To be fair... [In reply to] Can't Post

... they have totally different production designs and general looks. And the ME movies depend much more on believability (although I thought that the TOTAL lack of the feeling of reality in PR in several scenes ruined the overall interesting attempt by GDT).

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 8 2013, 9:20pm

Post #19 of 39 (1550 views)
Shortcut
Okay but...... [In reply to] Can't Post

Honestly. Should there not be bumblebees at all then? That shows a lack of understanding of the basic material. Which I guess is fine and all. But if you are going to have the bees they almost certainly have to be CGI.

They may be extraneous to this guy but they are part of the story. I guess to each his own. I need to stop reading quotes though because I want to decide for myself.

:)

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Simon
Rivendell

Dec 8 2013, 9:30pm

Post #20 of 39 (1527 views)
Shortcut
This guy... [In reply to] Can't Post

Now let challenge him to do what Jackson does (big fantasy movies) without any and i mean any CGI through the whole process and let see if he is capable to have the same amount of raving review for the visual! I can accept negatives sides or critics but these types of comments are insolent borderline idiotics!

Anduinel
The Shire

Dec 8 2013, 10:11pm

Post #21 of 39 (1394 views)
Shortcut
Apples and oranges... [In reply to] Can't Post

A lot of the shots in Pacific Rim were completely CGI by necessity; the days of making monster-disaster movies by stuffing two guys into rubber suits are long gone. Plus many of the scenes that could have been done cheaper as CGI were actual sets, like the Jaeger cockpits, because Del Toro wanted them to have that extra realism.

By contrast, LOTR proved that, despite the success of Gollum, you don't need to replace every actor with a CGI makeover to get a decent effect, and in some cases, you get a better effect by spending half the day gluing your orc hero into his suit. (Though it's not that off-putting, I do think that Azog looks like a Saturday morning cartoon villain next to Lurtz.) So when Jackson opted to go full CGI for so many of the antagonists in the next trilogy, I can see where it might come across as self-indulgent.

Reserving judgement until I see DoS for myself, of course, but comparing the sheer scale and awe of the CGI in Pacific Rim vs some the cartoony, immersion-breaking uses in AUJ, I don't see any inconsistency in applauding Pacific Rim's CGI while side-eying some of Jackson's.

shadowfaux
Bree

Dec 8 2013, 10:18pm

Post #22 of 39 (1474 views)
Shortcut
New Review [In reply to] Can't Post

thetimes.co.uk: 3/5 stars, by Kate Muir (paywalled article, so I couldn't read the whole thing):

(This post was edited by shadowfaux on Dec 8 2013, 10:20pm)

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 8 2013, 10:25pm

Post #23 of 39 (1342 views)
Shortcut
Would be really interesting to read.. [In reply to] Can't Post

...as she goes against most reviews so far. Besides 3D action she really seems to have an issue with the running time and pacing and gave it one star less than AUJ. I hope it will remain a frsh review...

(This post was edited by Arannir on Dec 8 2013, 10:26pm)

Wordofmask
Lorien

Dec 8 2013, 10:29pm

Post #24 of 39 (1324 views)
Shortcut
She gave Catching Fire 3/5 too [In reply to] Can't Post

And it still be fresh on RT

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 8 2013, 10:31pm

Post #25 of 39 (1308 views)
Shortcut
Yes.. [In reply to] Can't Post

... but either her or the mods on RT can decide with a 3/5 rating to go both ways... AUJ has 3/5 ratings that were considered rotten.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.