The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Thoughts on DOS (Having see it last night) *MAJOR SPOILERS*
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

StoneHex104
Rivendell

Dec 5 2013, 10:18pm

Post #26 of 219 (1911 views)
Shortcut
Would you please take your time to answer this question? [In reply to] Can't Post

Does Smaug say the lines: "My Armour is like tenfold shields, my teeth are swords, my claws spears, the shock of a tail is a thunderbolt, my wings a hurricane and my breath death!" ?

Dcole4
Rohan

Dec 5 2013, 10:19pm

Post #27 of 219 (1993 views)
Shortcut
He's definitely Bolg [In reply to] Can't Post

they refer to him a couple times by name. I was really looking forward to him so I was a tad disappointed with the way he was handled.

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Dec 5 2013, 10:20pm

Post #28 of 219 (1827 views)
Shortcut
or [In reply to] Can't Post

Are the high Fells one of the better moments in the movie, like you said, but wont mention ?!

Olorin2607
Lorien

Dec 5 2013, 10:20pm

Post #29 of 219 (1836 views)
Shortcut
Don't harrass him too much fellows. :) [In reply to] Can't Post

//

MatthewJer18
Rohan

Dec 5 2013, 10:22pm

Post #30 of 219 (1861 views)
Shortcut
Interesting about the barrels scene, if true [In reply to] Can't Post

Several online reactions have singled it out as a highlight; one critic of AUJ even named it among the best action sequences of the year.

If you truly saw the film, I'll wait and judge it for myself.

Regarding my previous comment: I carefully tried to not identify you as a troll when I requested verification for your claims. It's just as plausible that you are telling the truth, and while your review does focus quite a bit on the negatives, your tone isn't angry or confrontational (as it typically the case with genuine trolls).

(This post was edited by MatthewJer18 on Dec 5 2013, 10:25pm)

Dcole4
Rohan

Dec 5 2013, 10:23pm

Post #31 of 219 (2062 views)
Shortcut
It's more than the CGI... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's more of the mentality to utterly devolve the story into an action movie. I loved AUJ, CGI and all, the effects didn't bother me.

Case in point: Thorin rides a WHEEL barrel (Edited) down a river of molten gold....

(This post was edited by Dcole4 on Dec 5 2013, 10:25pm)

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 5 2013, 10:25pm

Post #32 of 219 (1851 views)
Shortcut
I have the feeling... [In reply to] Can't Post

... that the action sequences and what is expected from them may be very differently reviewed by some people here and the so-called general public and reviewers.

“All good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at."

Olorin2607
Lorien

Post #33 of 219 (1906 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

In the sequence against Smaug? Where did he get the Barrel from?
OMG. Peter Jackson has gone crazy again Laugh as long as it's not too Long I don't mind that though.

Jax_Teller
Rivendell

Post #34 of 219 (1878 views)
Shortcut
About the miniatures [In reply to] Can't Post

Peter Jackson explained many times that you CANNOT have miniatures with 3D and HFR, because it won't stand up to the scrutiny, simple as that, it doesn't work.

Blunt the knives, bend them forks, smash the bottles and burn the corks.

That's what Bilbo Baggins hates !

Dcole4
Rohan

Dec 5 2013, 10:26pm

Post #35 of 219 (1878 views)
Shortcut
I understand [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a huge LotR fan. I actually marathoned AUJ and LOTR over the weekend to get pumped (as if I needed an excuse to rewatch them!).

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Dec 5 2013, 10:27pm

Post #36 of 219 (1756 views)
Shortcut
Was that in Laketown? [In reply to] Can't Post

If yes, that is how it was handled in the novel. Thorin simply introduced them to people as his nephews. Which might be why they did it that way in the film too.

Carne
Tol Eressea

Dec 5 2013, 10:27pm

Post #37 of 219 (1751 views)
Shortcut
Can't you talk about some of the good things with a spoiler warning? [In reply to] Can't Post

No fun in just hearing what you didn't like Unimpressed

MatthewJer18
Rohan

Dec 5 2013, 10:28pm

Post #38 of 219 (1754 views)
Shortcut
Just out of curiosity... [In reply to] Can't Post

While I cannot say for sure whether or not you've seen the film (I'll know when I see it for myself and your claims are either proven to be true or not), I'm curious enough to ask: while you said yourself that you don't want to spoil the better moments, could you at least give an idea of what they are? You've certainly provided spoilers for your least favorite moments, so it seems only fair.

haldad
Bree

Dec 5 2013, 10:28pm

Post #39 of 219 (1781 views)
Shortcut
True [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Peter Jackson explained many times that you CANNOT have miniatures with 3D and HFR, because it won't stand up to the scrutiny, simple as that, it doesn't work.

It's understandable, but the flip side is that HFR was a completely unnecessary choice by PJ. It was his preference alone. I wouldn't defend the lack of miniatures because of HFR for that reason.

sarahb1863
Rivendell

Dec 5 2013, 10:29pm

Post #40 of 219 (1716 views)
Shortcut
So... [In reply to] Can't Post

Does Fili get anything to do in this movie? Or is he relegated to just hanging around in the background and worrying about Kili? Also, does Bombur actually get any lines?

Thanks for any info! :-)

(This post was edited by sarahb1863 on Dec 5 2013, 10:30pm)

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 5 2013, 10:31pm

Post #41 of 219 (1718 views)
Shortcut
It is 3D as well. [In reply to] Can't Post

Plus who judges that HFR is unnecessary?!Crazy

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at."

(This post was edited by Arannir on Dec 5 2013, 10:32pm)

unexpectedvisitor
Rohan

Dec 5 2013, 10:31pm

Post #42 of 219 (1670 views)
Shortcut
thanks for sharing [In reply to] Can't Post

none of the details you mentioned bother me much on paper, i will see what my reaction to the film is. i loved scenes like King Kong fighting the two T-Rexes (which is rife with visual gags) so i have a feeling i'm gonna enjoy the barrel ride.

unexpectedvisitor
Rohan

Dec 5 2013, 10:33pm

Post #43 of 219 (1688 views)
Shortcut
i had no problem with the CG set extensions in AUJ [In reply to] Can't Post

loved most of them, actually. we'll see how DoS fares.

Drakblod
Rivendell

Dec 5 2013, 10:33pm

Post #44 of 219 (1734 views)
Shortcut
But what about the most important question... [In reply to] Can't Post

How many legs do Smaug have? Does he have 4 legs along with wings or is he a wyvern like every modern dragon is?

Jax_Teller
Rivendell

Dec 5 2013, 10:34pm

Post #45 of 219 (1689 views)
Shortcut
Speak for yourself [In reply to] Can't Post

HFR is not unnecessary, maybe you saw it in HFR and didn't like it, but I did see it in HFR, and although I love the movie, I have never had the same experience nor same emotion as my first viewing of The Hobbit in HFR.

Gollum, the trolls, the eagles, stone giants, it all felt that much more real, I felt like I was there, the action, the swooping shots, so razor sharp, so clear, so fluid, the 24fps in comparison is blurry as heck (although I got accustomed to it, after a few times).

The stone giants sequence for example in HFR is thrilling, not so much in 24 fps.

You lose the cinematic aspect, but you gain so much in exchange, not everyone likes it, I get it, but it's not unnecessary.

Blunt the knives, bend them forks, smash the bottles and burn the corks.

That's what Bilbo Baggins hates !

(This post was edited by Altaira on Dec 7 2013, 7:29pm)

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 5 2013, 10:36pm

Post #46 of 219 (1674 views)
Shortcut
Wyvern [In reply to] Can't Post

is a REAL dragon though. The total separation of the two terms is a modern thing.

I am sure they tried over and over what works best on screen in terms of looks & movements.

Olorin2607
Lorien

Dec 5 2013, 10:38pm

Post #47 of 219 (1613 views)
Shortcut
How does Bolg look exactly? [In reply to] Can't Post

Also : Is there much of a prologue except the Bree Meeting?

Skaan
Lorien

Dec 5 2013, 10:39pm

Post #48 of 219 (1632 views)
Shortcut
He has 2 legs [In reply to] Can't Post

A couple of people who have watched the movie have confirmed it already.

It's too bad, really, as i would've prefered 4. But i'll get over itTongue

haldad
Bree

Dec 5 2013, 10:41pm

Post #49 of 219 (1586 views)
Shortcut
I meant [In reply to] Can't Post

Unnecessary as in, nobody would have been saying "I wish this had been in HFR" if it wasn't filmed that way. Nobody was forcing PJ to do it that way.

(This post was edited by haldad on Dec 5 2013, 10:42pm)

Dcole4
Rohan

Dec 5 2013, 10:44pm

Post #50 of 219 (1660 views)
Shortcut
2 legs... [In reply to] Can't Post

He has two legs with his wings acting as fore limbs. It worked honestly. He was a truly beautiful creation.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.