Reviews and Twitter Reactions: Part 4
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

haldad
Bree

Dec 4 2013, 7:07pm

Post #1 of 27 (3865 views)
Shortcut
Reviews and Twitter Reactions: Part 4 Can't Post

Continue here. Seems as though full reviews are starting to pop up, although not from any large media outlets.

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 4 2013, 9:41pm

Post #2 of 27 (1819 views)
Shortcut
OST Review in French [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.dailymars.net/...-howard-shore-decca/

“All good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at."

Thorin's Oakenshield
The Shire

Dec 5 2013, 7:08am

Post #3 of 27 (1361 views)
Shortcut
Here are some reactions from some blogger critics [In reply to] Can't Post

https://twitter.com/...s/408471049810874368
"I am in awe of how stupendous DESOLATION OF SMAUG is."

https://twitter.com/bdgrabinski
(only posting the account because this guy made several tweets about the film, all of which are extremely positive)

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 5 2013, 9:26am

Post #4 of 27 (1102 views)
Shortcut
and he hated AUJ [In reply to] Can't Post

I am beginning to have faith that DoS actually has the power to turn people around.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at."

vader815
The Shire

Dec 5 2013, 9:43am

Post #5 of 27 (1041 views)
Shortcut
Yeah. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been saying for a year that even if PJ&co brings the same formative and aesthetic choices to DoS as he brought to AUJ, the former will be a major success in the eyes of both fans and critics.

Why?

DoS includes roughly 60-65% of the total storyline, and therefore will feel necessarily richer and exciting.

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 5 2013, 10:22am

Post #6 of 27 (1064 views)
Shortcut
Also, the praise for EL is building up. [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope she will get some love from critics before some purists will lay in on her.

Jax_Teller
Rivendell

Dec 5 2013, 10:56am

Post #7 of 27 (994 views)
Shortcut
About the critical reception [In reply to] Can't Post

As said above, DOS was always going to be better received, AUJ is the exposition, setting-up of the journey, the real cool stuff is in DOS and TABA, so yeah it's totally expected here.

Blunt the knives, bend them forks, smash the bottles and burn the corks.

That's what Bilbo Baggins hates !

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 5 2013, 11:03am

Post #8 of 27 (931 views)
Shortcut
I do not think it was a foregone conclusion. [In reply to] Can't Post

Many people (especially critics) would argue FotR is a superior movie to TTT and RotK (I know, not all, but quite a view). So exposition can also be better received. Also, with more action and faster pace, more things can go wrong as well. Also, Middle chapters always are in danger to feel like a mere bridge film.

So no, I don't think this one was always to be better received.

BalrogTrainer
Rivendell

Dec 5 2013, 12:21pm

Post #9 of 27 (871 views)
Shortcut
Hardly surprising [In reply to] Can't Post

I always figured "Journey" would be the by-default weakest movie in the trilogy, for the same reason "Fellowship" was for the LOTR trilogy: EXPOSITION.

shaundobson
Rivendell

Dec 5 2013, 12:30pm

Post #10 of 27 (818 views)
Shortcut
Really ? [In reply to] Can't Post

i thought FOTR was the strongest and TTT was the weakest imo.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 5 2013, 12:34pm

Post #11 of 27 (815 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it's the first film that is usually expected to be [In reply to] Can't Post

"best", or most fun and interesting, one, and the second installment that is usually seen as the troubled one (i myself disagree with this but that's another story...).

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 5 2013, 12:41pm

Post #12 of 27 (808 views)
Shortcut
Well, then you're one of the few... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's pretty rare to hear someone say that FotR is the worst of the three. Almost as rare as someone saying that the first Matrix movie is the worst one.

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Dec 5 2013, 1:00pm

Post #13 of 27 (761 views)
Shortcut
With three [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the first movie had a few drawbacks although I loved it and would rank it probably after FotR and RotK. First was the shortened prep time PJ had, around 5 moths compared to the 18 months of pre-production he had for Fellowship. Second, I think it took him a period of time to really find the same head space he was in when he directed LotR. Last, with the expansion to three, the Dol Guldur plot, and him setting up the BoFA as more than just the random event it seemed in the book, a lot of exposition and a lot of inferences had to be placed in the story.

I had a feeling I would look back and have a much fonder feeling of AUJ once all three movies were viewed because it would look different in the context of the whole story. From what is being said about the movie and interviews, I think this is really going to be the case.

BalrogTrainer
Rivendell

Dec 5 2013, 1:03pm

Post #14 of 27 (763 views)
Shortcut
Well, that's just ridiculous [In reply to] Can't Post

"The Matrix" is undoubtedly the best of the 3, even though a) I still consider it incredibly overrated, and b) I don't think the sequels are nearly as bad as a lot of people do. It seems to me many people are all too obligated to call the first movie in a series the best -- purely because it came first. Of course, most of the time that's true, but there are always a few exceptions... and I think "Fellowship" is one of them ("Godfather II," "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior" being a few more). The LOTR trilogy is still the only trilogy which I feel gets even better with each installment. Yes, FOTR is the most faithful to its literary counterpart, but I still feel all the exposition bogs it down a bit. And I didn't say it was the worst of the three (that would indicate it wasn't very good, IMO); it's the by-default weakest entry. Tongue

(This post was edited by BalrogTrainer on Dec 5 2013, 1:04pm)

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 5 2013, 1:18pm

Post #15 of 27 (715 views)
Shortcut
I would still disagree... [In reply to] Can't Post

.... that exposition is something that makes a movie by default weaker.

I actually thought the exposition was what made FotR this magical movie experience. No obligation because it was the first, and I don't think most people who think it is the best are doing this either.

The issue AUJ was always going to have after the three movie split, of course, was that we do not see much more than what we see in FotR (actually less).

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Dec 5 2013, 1:22pm

Post #16 of 27 (687 views)
Shortcut
I would say that is because [In reply to] Can't Post

"worst" suggests bad, and the vast majority of critics considered all three LotR films at the least, good. On Rotten Tomatoes, Fellowship has the lowest score of the three (a "worst" 92% Fresh... Wink ).

Whereas Matrix 3 was apparently considered bad by many. (I never saw it, having disliked 2).

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 5 2013, 1:38pm

Post #17 of 27 (698 views)
Shortcut
Could we make one of these threads sticky? [In reply to] Can't Post

Maciej Palucki @maciejpalucki 59m

Hat Peter Jackson meine Tweets zum ersten #Hobbit Film gelesen? Teil zwei ist um Welten unterhaltsamer und düsterer. Review folgt. #smaug

Translation: Did Peter Jackson read my tweets regarding the first Hobbit movie? Part two is far more entertaining and gloomy. Review will follow.

It is a bit pathetic how many Twitter users now write lackluster reviews of TH (the book), post it on twitter and hope for clicks by people hoping for a DoS review... at least most of them praise the book.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Dec 5 2013, 1:42pm)

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 5 2013, 1:49pm

Post #18 of 27 (653 views)
Shortcut
Of course it's ridiculous, that's why i said it. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was using an extreme example to point out how rare it is to hear someone say that FotR is their least favorite of the trilogy. And, when talking about three of the greatest and most successful films of all time, saying one of them is the "worst" one is not a bad thing, but your right, weakest, or least, are probably more appropriate.

And, like i said, i do not agree that the second film is always a disappointment. I don't even think it's true most of the time. Star Wars, Alien, Terminator, Bourne, X-Men, Toy Story, Godfather, Dark Night-- all are series where the second film is just as good or better than the first.

And about all this exposition... of course there's going to be exposition, the story does have to be set up. But it's all handled expertly, and are some of my favorite scenes in all the trilogy. The scene with Frodo and Gandalf at Bag End discussing the Ring, Gandalf's trip to Minas Tirith, Gandalf and Saruman at Orthanc, Gandalf and Frodo in Moria discussing Gollum-- all brilliantly done.

Wordofmask
Lorien

Dec 5 2013, 2:45pm

Post #19 of 27 (599 views)
Shortcut
I hope this time [In reply to] Can't Post

DoS can break a curse of second installment in trilogy movie.

Macsen
Lorien

Dec 5 2013, 2:53pm

Post #20 of 27 (580 views)
Shortcut
FOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldn't say I rate any of the LOTR films above the others. I think that FOTR's great strength is its 'realness', (there's very little CGI and even the villains like the Ring Wraights seem very realistic), and the quick pacing, and that's what really hit me after watching it right after AUJ, which is very unrealistic and full of CGI (even though it follows roughly the same path as FOTR) and the editing isn't half as tight. I really enjoyed AUJ but FOTR is a masterpiece.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 5 2013, 4:55pm

Post #21 of 27 (475 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, i'm not so sure about this new editor...// [In reply to] Can't Post

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 5 2013, 5:00pm

Post #22 of 27 (481 views)
Shortcut
Just out of curiosity... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I hope this time DoS can break a curse of second installment in trilogy movie.

other than The Matrix, name a trilogy or series of note where the second film is significantly worse than the first.

unexpectedvisitor
Rohan

Dec 5 2013, 5:21pm

Post #23 of 27 (457 views)
Shortcut
Jabez is a young pup... [In reply to] Can't Post

...brought up assistant editing for Peter and now getting to be the main man. sometimes his relative inexperience shows, but i think he actually brings a level of polish to how he handles the editing that wasn't always present in how the first two LotR movies were edited, though FotR WAS very well-paced and the mines of Moria sequence is just amazing filmmaking on every level. but, in my opinion, Jamie Selkirk is the best editor that Peter has worked with, and i think that is quite evident throughout the majority of RotK, though certainly the editing in that film isn't perfect, either (some of the camp scenes and stuff involving the Paths of the Dead and while i love most of the actual content in RotK's denouement, some of the transitions, like several really slow fades, helped create that impression of "multiple endings" that a lot of people complained about).

now, i don't know how much any of the three LotR editors pushed PJ to tighten certain things up or cut things out for the theatrical. i think that Jabez, considering the nature of how he got started, probably doesn't try to confront his boss too much...so that might have lead to some of the extra "bloat" of the AUJ theatrical cut. but it does sound like both PJ and Jabez took some of those criticisms to heart and tried to make this one a bit tighter.

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Dec 5 2013, 5:24pm

Post #24 of 27 (454 views)
Shortcut
Highlander II: The Quickening [In reply to] Can't Post

Probably the best example of all time. Even Christopher Lambert admitted that the whole movie was a complete mess, and in the end the producers declared its plot to be null and void.

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 5 2013, 5:42pm

Post #25 of 27 (429 views)
Shortcut
Ha ha yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Probably the best example of all time. Even Christopher Lambert admitted that the whole movie was a complete mess, and in the end the producers declared its plot to be null and void.

And the Jaws sequels got pretty terrible (although the second one wasn't that bad). I guess what i'm getting at is that Second Movie Syndrome is an old story, and from the late 90s on, much more care has gone in to maintaining the quality of the first film (lessons learned from the 80s perhaps?), so that when the second movie disappoints, it's much more an exception than the norm.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.