Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
New picture of Thranduil?

thomasofrohan
Lorien

Oct 10 2013, 3:15pm

Post #1 of 20 (1518 views)
Shortcut
New picture of Thranduil? Can't Post

http://31.media.tumblr.com/...S3u1rp382io3_500.jpg

Also found Bard:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/...S3u1rp382io2_500.jpg

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 10 2013, 3:22pm

Post #2 of 20 (776 views)
Shortcut
About time! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ooooooh - nice! That's the Thranduil I was expecting, and nice one of Bard too. Love the rings Thranduil is wearing, and the sword. Hope these are real and we will see new
high-res publicity images soon - including the dwarves, not just "new" characters. Tho it'd be tough IMO to top the AUJ series of dwarf images except for the infamous all-dwarf poster.
I'm still smarting over that Photoshop job as opposed to doing a real all-dwarf image (how hard would it have been to just get everyone together in costume?)

Anyway, thanks!Cool

(This post was edited by Avandel on Oct 10 2013, 3:30pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Oct 10 2013, 5:07pm

Post #3 of 20 (669 views)
Shortcut
Nice one of Thranduil in particular [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the rings and the details of the costume.

Thanks very much for posting this.

More (please)? Smile

Arandir
Gondor

Oct 10 2013, 5:25pm

Post #4 of 20 (624 views)
Shortcut
Many thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice pictures indeed - and agree with the others that Thranduil's image is particularly better than Bard's (not photoshoppedLaugh)

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog
'How Peter Jackson inches closer to making 'The Silmarillion'

(This post was edited by Arandir on Oct 10 2013, 5:25pm)

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Oct 10 2013, 5:35pm

Post #5 of 20 (654 views)
Shortcut
Interesting... [In reply to] Can't Post

The picture of Bard looks great but something about the picture of Thranduil looks strange to me. I've seen a picture very similar to that one and he's posed in a similar position but the outfit is slightly different. I'm not even sure how to put this...It's almost like this new pic doesn't so much look like Thranduil, but rather Lee Pace in a Thranduil costume...does that even make sense? It's mostly the wig and the outfit that look off to me. Maybe it was an early photo or something while they were still tweaking Thranduil's look or something? I don't know, maybe it's just the lighting...or maybe it's just me. I've been sick this week and my brain feels a little fried!Crazy

Anyway, enough with my random ramblings...Where did you find these?

Bombadil
Half-elven

Oct 10 2013, 5:52pm

Post #6 of 20 (639 views)
Shortcut
2 Things [In reply to] Can't Post

Thranduil's lace on the Shoulder?
Very Spider WEBy..

Now we know for sure that Bard
Sneaks the Company through Sentries,
into Laketown..

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Oct 10 2013, 6:05pm

Post #7 of 20 (613 views)
Shortcut
As Bomby says... spider-webby jacket and arachnid rings... [In reply to] Can't Post

Why is Thranduil celebrating the deadly foes on his doorstep in his personal wardrobe? Surely it's not the hunter trophy idea? Don't tell me he has stuffed arachnids on the walls as well!

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

Louise Mar

Oct 10 2013, 6:37pm

Post #8 of 20 (614 views)
Shortcut
Thranduil's outfit [In reply to] Can't Post

His crown has blue leaves not orange.And I think he has the same outfit as in AUJ

Dragonrnbw
Rivendell

Oct 10 2013, 7:03pm

Post #9 of 20 (561 views)
Shortcut
It looks [In reply to] Can't Post

Like the same one in AUJ just black. It appears to be somewhat photo shopped or maybe just cut? Maybe it has been cropped and that's why it looks a little off? Not sure...love the picture but I have to say there is something a little off on it.....maybe just the color??? Humm....

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Maciliel
Valinor

Oct 10 2013, 7:07pm

Post #10 of 20 (583 views)
Shortcut
thranduil's sword [In reply to] Can't Post

it looks rather uncomfortable to hold. it (technically) has a hilt, but it looks like it has no hand grip, and is flat (rather than with smoothed edges).

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Oct 10 2013, 7:19pm

Post #11 of 20 (534 views)
Shortcut
That's exactly what it looks like! [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe he's trying to start a fashion trend!Wink

Elwen
Lorien

Oct 10 2013, 8:09pm

Post #12 of 20 (547 views)
Shortcut
I can't be the only one who thinks... [In reply to] Can't Post

that Bard looks like Orlando Bloom's character in the Pirates movies...right?

photo Desolation-of-Smaug2_zpsc1584ee1.jpg
Tauriel: So let me get this straight sir, this Elwen girl is back on something called TORn, and rather than just tell her to stop stalking you, you'd like me to show up in a movie I have no business being in as a ploy to distract her, and nevermind the wrath of countless Tolkien fans who will be calling for my destruction?

Legolas: That about sums it up. Besides, some people might like you. Oh, and to be on the safe side, can we pretend to be a couple too?

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 10 2013, 8:22pm

Post #13 of 20 (517 views)
Shortcut
I thought so at first... [In reply to] Can't Post

... but since I saw more of him, especially when he talks, there is imho only a very superifical resemblance left.

A dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of mens imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold. J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 10 2013, 10:13pm

Post #14 of 20 (456 views)
Shortcut
Yo ho ho [In reply to] Can't Post

Not so much up close, and to me Bard is far craggier than the handsome Will. Not saying Bard is unattractive, mind you. But POTC did pop into my head re the picture "The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do. For instance, you can accept that these stubborn *bleep* dwarves are going to get into Erebor, and stir up a bad-tempered great big flying lizard who is going to come looking for some stir-fry, and you're going to have to hope REALLY HARD you don't miss. Or at least have plenty of marshmallows on hand."

Bombadil
Half-elven

Oct 11 2013, 5:13am

Post #15 of 20 (410 views)
Shortcut
Interesting thing about his Sword... [In reply to] Can't Post

The cut-out areas,behind the Blade..
are Elivish in look.

None of the other Swords have cut-outs,,or
Negative Spaces (In Art Terms)...
Which makes this Sword Unique!

I think the Curvy look is Known as a "French Curve" from Art & Architecture School.

This factor Separates it from ALL the Other Swords in All 4 Movies...

This WayCool idea, probably was created by John Howe
who designed the Weaponry..

Go, Go John,
Wonderful Idea.
...it's sooo Great to have him, and Of Course
Alan Lee ...
the Most incredible team
to have designing for PJ&Co.

Bomby thinks is soo.Fine that these Two
(Who hadn't even met? before hired)
are probably as close to each other
as two can be.
Now!

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Oct 11 2013, 5:31am

Post #16 of 20 (391 views)
Shortcut
The same elven smith [In reply to] Can't Post

...must have made Tauriel's twin daggers, Bomby:

Craftsmanship for dispatching orcs and spiders.

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Oct 11 2013, 5:37am

Post #17 of 20 (383 views)
Shortcut
Farm, Freakin' OUT! [In reply to] Can't Post

Had NOT seen those yet!!
WhoaWonderful...

Thang you Berry Buch!

BADass Much?

deskp
Lorien

Oct 11 2013, 9:49am

Post #18 of 20 (334 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

Not only Thranduil and tauriel have cut out swords.. Tauriel's crew aswell as the whole army and the guards figthing azog+ the guards with the shields.

Legolas is the exception by not having holes in his daggers.

Nira
Lorien

Oct 11 2013, 10:57pm

Post #19 of 20 (259 views)
Shortcut
ooooo pretty! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the elven style! I was disappointed they didn't replicate arwen's dagger; hopefully Tauriel's daggers will be.

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Oct 12 2013, 2:08am

Post #20 of 20 (235 views)
Shortcut
They are indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

If you look closely you can see the price: $149. Available some time this month. Also apparently her bow (price not yet released), which is what I really want!

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.