Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Forbes - The Hobbit Trilogy Is A Bargain

Eruonen
Valinor

Oct 7 2013, 8:17pm

Post #1 of 16 (858 views)
Shortcut
Forbes - The Hobbit Trilogy Is A Bargain Can't Post

http://www.forbes.com/...rilogy-is-a-bargain/

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 7 2013, 8:32pm

Post #2 of 16 (474 views)
Shortcut
Glad some of the weird hyperbole about that number is put in perspective here. [In reply to] Can't Post

Even in Germany they threw around that number without any idea of what it actually means, lol.

Found it also funny how many commentators liked to point at inflation when they wanted to make AUJ into the "Floppit" but forgot about inflation when they compared the two trilogies. PirateLaughCool

ďA dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of menís imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.Ē J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

Patty
Immortal

Oct 7 2013, 9:14pm

Post #3 of 16 (428 views)
Shortcut
Well, I guess that's a lot of money, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

As the novel "The Hobbit" is a classic, so, too, will the movies be. These are movies that will be enjoyed for ALL TIME, and coupled with the LotR movies will make an awesome set. They would not date themselves, either, if only the oppressive blu-green color grading would vanish (ah, but that's a different conversation.) When movies are connected to a beloved set of stories such as these are, and are even more than well done (despite the bird poop, etc.) it is an exceedingly sound investment. Those blu-rays will continue to sell and be discovered anew for many years to come.

Permanent address: Into the West

patrickk
Rohan

Oct 7 2013, 9:41pm

Post #4 of 16 (388 views)
Shortcut
Nine hours for $700m a bargain!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

...compred with $100m for 90 mins of Gravity

Patty
Immortal

Oct 7 2013, 9:43pm

Post #5 of 16 (369 views)
Shortcut
So, how was Gravity? Did you enjoy it?/ [In reply to] Can't Post

patrickk
Rohan

Oct 7 2013, 9:46pm

Post #6 of 16 (380 views)
Shortcut
A Simple but very elegant space movie [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...not to mention a seat of the pants white knuckle ride - yes a must see!!!!

Patty
Immortal

Oct 7 2013, 9:54pm

Post #7 of 16 (363 views)
Shortcut
Movies with just one or two people in them rarely hold my interest... [In reply to] Can't Post

I.e. I Am Legend. I wondered if I would have the same problem with this one.

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 7 2013, 9:57pm

Post #8 of 16 (361 views)
Shortcut
I don't think so... [In reply to] Can't Post

... since this movie has an extremely high adrenalin factor all the way through which makes it relatively easy for the movie to hold people's interest imho.

Although I have to say that the middle part of the movie is mainly about and with one person.

ďA dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of menís imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.Ē J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Oct 7 2013, 9:58pm)

Patty
Immortal

Oct 7 2013, 10:04pm

Post #9 of 16 (339 views)
Shortcut
It's in 3D isn't it? [In reply to] Can't Post

I may give it a shot. I love 3D.

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 7 2013, 10:14pm

Post #10 of 16 (329 views)
Shortcut
Both. [In reply to] Can't Post

But however one might hate 3D... this movie clearly benefits from it and is imho a 3D must-see.

patrickk
Rohan

Oct 7 2013, 10:32pm

Post #11 of 16 (318 views)
Shortcut
In an odd way it reminds me of Speilburg's first Film Duel [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I.e. I Am Legend. I wondered if I would have the same problem with this one.

In 1971 Stephen Speilburg's first film 'Duel' when he was a film student was a very small cast white knuckle ride which worked very well with a minimal cast (of one mainly). So for 90 minutes a small cast in a white knuckle ride where the adversary is largely the/unknown can work very well, as Gravity does as well. Helen Reddy's "I am Woman" could be the theme for Gravity

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 7 2013, 10:34pm

Post #12 of 16 (304 views)
Shortcut
I love Duel // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Oct 7 2013, 11:45pm

Post #13 of 16 (277 views)
Shortcut
Loved Duel [In reply to] Can't Post

It was awesome

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

imin
Valinor

Oct 8 2013, 9:12am

Post #14 of 16 (184 views)
Shortcut
not entirely sure i get this [In reply to] Can't Post

are you meaning people were saying the film has made 1 billion dollars but so did ROTK and that was when there was less inflation so really ROTK made way more money? But those people are not taking into account the change in inflation when comparing how much the films cost to make?

'What's the matter with you?' - J.R.R. Tolkien

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 8 2013, 9:21am

Post #15 of 16 (184 views)
Shortcut
No, no. [In reply to] Can't Post

I just meant that some people who seemed to get a kick out the fact that AUJ sold less tickets compared to the previous trilogy happily used inflation to show how much money RotK would have made today if you adjust its BO number.

But many of the same people now compared the total production cost of LotR un-adjusted to the cost of the TH trilogy - because it simply looked more exorbitant in comparison.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Oct 8 2013, 9:22am)

imin
Valinor

Oct 8 2013, 9:28am

Post #16 of 16 (177 views)
Shortcut
Oh i see. [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes that does make it even greater difference, if you adjust one but not the other.

From looking at the article though, if both the cost of the films is adjusted and the BO returns are adjusted to todays figures, the LOTR still made and likely will make way more (unless DOS and TABA change things) as Hobbit trilogy, cost more and so far has made less.

Not an outright failure but not the success i was hoping for the films prior to their release but if im honest i think the BO return is great considering the film.

Most films in a series seem to make more as they go along, so hopefully DOS will make even more and much more importantly (to me) will be an awesome film.

'What's the matter with you?' - J.R.R. Tolkien

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.