definitive or just deceiving us ? ;)

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

jtarkey
Rohan

May 28 2013, 9:22pm

Post #2 of 31 (968 views)
Shortcut
That's a good thing [In reply to] Can't Post

It almost sounds as if Viggo isn't really impressed with all the visual hullabaloo. It also seems like he doubts The Hobbit can be stretched into 3 films...you'd really think he'd have the time to see it since it came out.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

DanielLB
Immortal

May 28 2013, 9:23pm

Post #3 of 31 (954 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm ... conflicting information [In reply to] Can't Post

Not about not appearing in the films, but whether he has seen the film or not!

From this interview:

Has he seen the new movie yet? No. "I'm interested in seeing that world again, and seeing what Peter Jackson's done, how he's made use of the improvements in special effects and cameras and the different way of shooting, which will probably enhance the visual aspect of the experience, the sound also."

From this interview in March:

Yeah, I did. I went on opening day to see it. I was actually in Argentina, and I went with a bunch of kids and their parents. It was kind of a party atmosphere, it was fun, it was in 3-D, and they had popcorn. I enjoyed it. In particular it was nice to see some of the landscapes I remembered. It was a nice trip down memory lane, where wed shot near some of the places where Id gone camping or fishing.

I'm confused. Is he hiding something and accidentally told a fib (either in this interview, or the earlier one)? ShockedWink Conspiracy time!

Macfeast
Rohan

May 28 2013, 9:24pm

Post #4 of 31 (935 views)
Shortcut
The article was published today... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but how old could this interview be? It mentions that Viggo had yet to see AUJ, but I recall other interviews where he mentioned that he had seen it. I'm thinking this interview might be a little dated.

EDIT: Either that, or what DanielLB said.

(This post was edited by Macfeast on May 28 2013, 9:32pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

May 28 2013, 9:33pm

Post #5 of 31 (898 views)
Shortcut
Three options: [In reply to] Can't Post

1) The Guardian interviewed Viggo before the film was released, and since then have subsequently fabricated the fact he hasn't seen the film (since he hadn't at the time of being interviewed). Mistake on their half, perhaps forgetting the fact the film hadn't been released when they interviewed him.

2) As I read it, I don't think they asked him at all whether he has seen the film or not (and could have interviewed him yesterday or 6 months ago). Since no isn't in quotation marks, I'm guessing they've simply got no from the quote they have provided. In this case, bad journalism.

3) Viggo told a fib to one of these interviewers. Least likely, I think.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 28 2013, 9:34pm

Post #6 of 31 (900 views)
Shortcut
From the article: [In reply to] Can't Post

If his mission has been to shed the sword-wielding Aragorn image, he has succeeded; yet he's at peace with the fame the role brought him, acknowledging that he has The Lord of the Rings to thank for the opportunities that have since come his way. In Peter Jackson's Hobbit film, several of the Rings cast reprised their roles. Was he asked to take part? "No. Before they started shooting, back in 2008, one of the producers did ask if I would be interested. I said, 'You do know, don't you, that Aragorn isn't in The Hobbit? That there is a 60-year gap between the books?'"

Mortensen continues:

Has he seen the new movie yet? No. "I'm interested in seeing that world again, and seeing what Peter Jackson's done, how he's made use of the improvements in special effects and cameras and the different way of shooting, which will probably enhance the visual aspect of the experience, the sound also. And I'm interested in seeing how he's managed to make three movies out of a relatively slim volume Jackson is a clever person I'm sure he'll have done something really interesting with it." Working in New Zealand from 1999-2003 remains an important professional and personal experience. "I've gone back occasionally to visit friends both animal and human. It's a beautiful country."

So he does acknowledge recently visiting NZ and possibly visiting the sets of the new films. If Aragorn is in the new film-series at all (which I tend to doubt at this point) then he is definitely played by a younger actor (whether a child actor for 10 year-old Estel or an actor in his early to mid-twenties in deference to the differences between books and films).

This interview might well have preceded the one published earlier, before he spoke of having seen AUJ.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 28 2013, 9:37pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

May 28 2013, 9:36pm

Post #7 of 31 (883 views)
Shortcut
I agree that it's better not to have Aragorn.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... in the Hobbit, much as I liked him in the previous films.

But how do you get the idea that he doubts that the Hobbit will make three films? This is what he says....

And I'm interested in seeing how he's managed to make three movies out of a relatively slim volume … Jackson is a clever person – I'm sure he'll have done something really interesting with it.

I don't hear any doubt in that at all. 'Jackson is a clever person - I'm sure....' So he's sure it has been done well and is intrigued to see how. Sounds more like faith than doubt to me.

As for whether he's seen it or not, As DanielLB has come up with an interview in which he says he has seen it, I reckon this must be an old interview.

DanielLB
Immortal

May 28 2013, 9:40pm

Post #8 of 31 (861 views)
Shortcut
Problem is ... [In reply to] Can't Post

This interview might well have preceded the one published earlier, before he spoke of having seen AUJ

Viggo said he saw AUJ on opening day in Argentina (on the same day as the UK, and most of the world). Why would an interviewer ask if he had seen the film, before it is released? It makes him sound like he's not really interested.

I agree, and think it's an old interview. But I think they've made up the "no".

Who's on twitter? Let's ask the journalist! Wink (Though just for the record, I'm not encouraging anyone calling the journalist a liar.) Crazy

(This post was edited by DanielLB on May 28 2013, 9:48pm)

Loresilme
Valinor

May 28 2013, 10:02pm

Post #9 of 31 (830 views)
Shortcut
"In this very room" [In reply to] Can't Post

from the transcript:

Does he see a time when he might stop acting? He smiles as we chat. "In 2008, in this very room, I said to a journalist who asked if I had plans to do another movie, 'No, not at the moment. I need a break.' By which I meant a month or two. He then wrote, 'Viggo Mortensen has quit.' And I spent the next two years denying that I'd quit acting, or explaining why I had returned when I'd quit."

He doesn't seem to have much luck with statements he's made in this very room :). As DanielLB mentioned, he's since stated in interviews that he has seen the film. So this interview must have taken place a while ago.

I'm of two minds regarding his appearance in The Hobbit trilogy. On the one hand, I'd like to see him in a cameo as Aragorn. On the other hand, his character's introduction in FOTR (the stranger in the corner, the eyes over the pipe) is such a classic. I love that bit of mystery in FOTR about who he is and whether the Hobbits should trust him.

Lissuin
Valinor

May 28 2013, 10:48pm

Post #10 of 31 (811 views)
Shortcut
It must be an old interview according to this: [In reply to] Can't Post

In the interview he says he's shooting "Two Faces of January" and a link goes to this:

http://www.screendaily.com/...ting/5045953.article at Screen Daily

The Two Faces of January starts shooting
31 August, 2012 | By Melanie Goodfellow

Viggo Mortensen and Kirsten Dunst co-star in adaptation of Patricia Highsmith thriller, produced by Working Title and financed by StudioCanal.

Then IMBd says about Two Faces
http://www.screendaily.com/...ting/5045953.article
in production notes updated 5 Dec. 2012 that the film is in post-production.

This "new" interview doesn't add up.

(This post was edited by Lissuin on May 28 2013, 10:50pm)

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

May 28 2013, 11:42pm

Post #11 of 31 (762 views)
Shortcut
To repeat Balin, "Probably for the best, after all" [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragorn should only be ten. I am going to ignore the fact that the extended films leave a slight age continuity error. Not encountering him will quiet the issue.

In Reply To
straight from the horses mouth

http://www.guardian.co.uk/...-mortensen-interview

definitive or just deceiving us ? ;)

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

May 29 2013, 12:31am

Post #12 of 31 (672 views)
Shortcut
Too true [In reply to] Can't Post

As much as I loved him as Aragorn in LOTR, in TH, he would be like 10, and would be pushing the continuity errors. But even though Viggo won't be in The Hobbit, I haven't forgotten about him. Smile

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

May 29 2013, 12:42am

Post #13 of 31 (699 views)
Shortcut
but also [In reply to] Can't Post

Viggo didn't have a phone for the longest time. He'd call his agent by payphone. Don't know if this is true now, but I remember reading interviews with him at the time mentioning this...

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

May 29 2013, 1:03am

Post #14 of 31 (652 views)
Shortcut
If so... [In reply to] Can't Post

then those rumours we hear were incorrect, unexpectedly.

As to his comments on the film...i get the feeling he wasnt particularly impressed with it, when all he mentions are the landscapes ...

His career really took off after Aragorn, ive seen all his posterior filmwork and ive been very impressed with his performances.

Vous commencez m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

FrogmortonJustice65
Lorien

May 29 2013, 1:13am

Post #15 of 31 (637 views)
Shortcut
perhaps... [In reply to] Can't Post

Viggo is referring to not having seen DOS? I thought I saw a pic of him at the Argentina premier somewhere...

photo cbccab4e-f61e-4be5-aaa1-20e302430c7c.jpg

Slim
Rivendell

May 29 2013, 5:01am

Post #16 of 31 (562 views)
Shortcut
I agree it's probably an old interview [In reply to] Can't Post

My guess is that they probably interviewed him around the release of his 'Everybody Has a Plan' in Argentina -- which was in August 2012, so it's entirely possible that he had not seen AUJ then.

(And they are only publishing this interview now because the film is about to be released in the UK)

Right? :)

Cirashala
Valinor

May 29 2013, 5:04am

Post #17 of 31 (579 views)
Shortcut
makes sense [In reply to] Can't Post

Given the area, there is lousy cell reception at best, and depending on where his agent is located, for a landline it could be a costly long distance call. Also, he lives way out of town on property from what I have heard, and it is very much possible there wasn't phone lines for landlines out there at the time. Yup, most of North Idaho is pretty remote. I would imagine it cuts down on the weird stalker stories and fan break ins and robberies though- unless the person isn't afraid of moose or bears or the like (and they would have to be absolutely insane if they didn't at least have a healthy respect for these animals-they are both very territorial and dangerous!)

Half Elven Daughter of Celethian of the Woodland Realm

Slim
Rivendell

May 29 2013, 5:08am

Post #18 of 31 (582 views)
Shortcut
Maybe not necessarily? [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's very possible that he hadn't seen it at the time of the interview, and it seems like he's quite positive about seeing it and seeing what PJ can do.

(This post was edited by Slim on May 29 2013, 5:08am)

DanielLB
Immortal

May 29 2013, 6:19am

Post #19 of 31 (560 views)
Shortcut
But why would they ask him around August 2012 if he has seen the film ... [In reply to] Can't Post

If the film hadn't been released yet? Wink Since he's not tied to the production directly, it seems nonsensical to ask whether he has seen a cut of the film. They can't then say he hasn't seen the film, because it's been 6 months since it was released (and he was interviewed). This is why interviews should be published straight after being done. Otherwise, the information quickly becomes out of date! Laugh

(This post was edited by DanielLB on May 29 2013, 6:20am)

DwellerInDale
Rohan

May 29 2013, 7:04am

Post #20 of 31 (606 views)
Shortcut
Second Interview clarifies the timeline somewhat [In reply to] Can't Post

In a similar interview, also done in London (this time for the Telegraph) (link below), the interviewer does mention that Viggo is currently shooting The Two Faces of January, which wrapped in December. The question in the Guardian interview could make sense if he or she assumed that Viggo may have seen a pre-release viewing of AUJ.

Telegraph Interview

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

Slim
Rivendell

May 29 2013, 7:20am

Post #21 of 31 (513 views)
Shortcut
That's a good point [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmmm... maybe the stuff in quotation marks was something from another earlier unpublished interview. Like you said -- bad journalism Laugh

Look at the article's subtitle "...Viggo Mortensen doesn't just play twins in his new noirish thriller, he also took charge of the subtitles. The actor talks about challenging roles and why he turned The Hobbit down"

Why he turned the Hobbit down? Not exactly what he said...

Slim
Rivendell

May 29 2013, 7:21am

Post #22 of 31 (540 views)
Shortcut
Ah, that makes sense! [In reply to] Can't Post

Good internet detective work DwellerInDale!

Semper Fi
Rohan

May 29 2013, 10:46am

Post #23 of 31 (490 views)
Shortcut
That` s not what he said [In reply to] Can't Post

He said he was interested to see what Jackson does with technology and 3 movie split. He didn`t sound unimpressed or impressed since it was interview before he saw the movie so he couldn`t get emotional about it either way.

Valandil ed Imladris
Lorien

May 30 2013, 12:41am

Post #24 of 31 (368 views)
Shortcut
Viggo simply knows [In reply to] Can't Post

that he was in the superior, the REAL trilogy Tongue

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

May 30 2013, 1:56am

Post #25 of 31 (350 views)
Shortcut
Indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

Vous commencez m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.